Better Servers Vs More Servers

Acushla

Moderator Please Move this thread if there is a better place for it.

If your intent is to avoid merging/closing servers after a few months of Play I would suggest that you reinforce the servers you have to carry more traffic rather than open still more servers. This is a mistake I see quite frequently, you have dozens of servers and if they are overloaded you open more, but .... people have invested time and effort into characters/guilds on the existing server, they don't want to start over.

Please! Don't make more. Just make the ones we have bigger, stronger, more able to handle heavy traffic.

Don't know what Tor is programmed in. But I know CCP was limited by the fastest cores available since they used Pyton, and thus could not assign more than 1 core per solar system. So they could not use say 4 cores to run Jita, they just had to assign one of their fastest cores.

Yes, but Eve Online (CCP) was 1 server for both US an EU Players, and is an extreme case of my point.

TOR is 3 days away from retail launch, and the servers they are running top out at peak play times. This is a sign they need either more servers yet .... or ..... they need have servers that can handle more traffic.

Beta's and this Early Access, say what you like about how it was handled, are EA and Bioware's window to spot problems and one hopes resolve them. I am just saying (in my opinion) that many players will prefer better servers over more servers.

Don't know what Tor is programmed in. But I know CCP was limited by the fastest cores available since they used Pyton, and thus could not assign more than 1 core per solar system. So they could not use say 4 cores to run Jita, they just had to assign one of their fastest cores.

Which seems so bizarre, they probably have multi core processors more in mind during game development these days. One of EQ2s (client) failings as well.

Greetings!

We appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts regarding servers. We are going to steer this discussion to a pre-existing thread on our forums. Please join the discussion here. We will now be closing this thread to help us keep the forums organized. Thank You!