Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Add another to the people who will not be resubscribing. I play SW:TOR for the low ping on the Australian Servers. i have characters who never got transferred on the American Servers and while the population is high i find it much harder to play. I will now be looking for another MMO i guess. Simply put EA/Bioware didn't care enough about providing a good gaming experience and just want the fastest and cheapest way out. I also wish that they would not try and justify themselves by saying people will be giving up the way they play by merging the servers. Since open world pvp doesn't really happen except in the dailies areas most people couldn't care less.

Since it appears that they replied i want to say this, we want a larger population yes put we don't mind having to wait a little. We want the Australian Servers and a lot of people on the Australian Servers play for that reason. If we wanted high population servers we would have already gone to the American Servers. If the Australian Servers are closed i for one will not continue playing this game after my subscription runs out and it appears so will many others. Simply the Australian Servers are costing more than the population is worth and it is cheaper and easier to close them.

You clearly didn't read their explanation. They do care, and that's why they did this.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the voice of reason right here, I hope you APAC guys read this.

Please tell me you're being facetious, no one can possibly be stupid enough to consider that to be "the voice of reason"...well, no one except the folks down at EA/Bioware.

You clearly didn't read their explanation. They do care, and that's why they did this.

There solution to population is to dramatically increase latency and lag for Australian/Oceanic players...

The first ever complaint about Online gaming is LAG

the most common complaint is LAG

and the most common excuse by players for failing to perform in a raid or pvp is LAG.

LAG is so bad, we call it a Monster

an American plays with 250ms latency and they scream lag like a little girl...

an Australian plays WoW with 250ms latency and they call that normal...

then they gave us SWTOR local server and we got 30ms latency and all was great...

... if they take that away from us, Im not going back to 200ms TOR for a game that wont justify the reason beyond that weak *** excuse.

200ms + and pvp and pve raiding becomes problematic, people dropping out, dps drops, enrage timers become unreachable and quick reaction events are instant death.

There solution to a minor inconveniance of population... is to supply us, the players with the ONE THING WE DONT WANT

LAG!!!

Their solution has nothing to do with the Public Relation dribble they spouted, its the financial cost cutting they are performing and the weak excuse they can attach to it. If they were serious about Oceanic gaming, they would merge the 3 servers into one and start a marketing/advertising/media campaign to get more players.... more customers are always better than less customers.... and this move, obviously will produce less customers.

Edited by Dirtyshadow

FAIR DINKUM!!!!!! Sub cancelled. Ping was the only reason I played. What a wast of money and time I sunk into this game. Will never buy any of there products again.

Hard not to rant but F me if this is not the dumbest idea since ALP cut Rud for the Red head. Bad move bad move.

There solution to population is to dramatically increase latency and lag for Australian/Oceanic players...

The first ever complaint about Online gaming is LAG

the most common complaint is LAG

and the most common excuse by players for failing to perform in a raid or pvp is LAG.

LAG is so bad, we call it a Monster

an American plays with 200ms latency and they scream lag...

an Australian playes with 200ms latency and we call that normal...

then they gave us a local server and we got 30ms latency and all was great...

... they take that away from us, Im not going back to 200ms for a game that wont justify the reason beyond that weak *** excuse.

There solution to a minor inconveniance of population... is to supply us, the players with the ONE THING WE DONT WANT

LAG!!!

Their solution has nothing to do with the Public Relation dribble they spouted, its the financial cost cutting they are performing and the weak excuse they can attach to it. If they were serious about Oceanic gaming, they would merge the 3 servers into one and start a marketing/advertising/media campaign to get more players.... more customers are always better than less customers.... and this move, obviously will produce less customers.

This ^

Also I would like to point out I have never, in Australia, seen one piece of advertisement for this game ever! You know that saying you need to send money to make money, I swear to god, I have no idea how you made it as a company EA, really...

FAIR DINKUM!!!!!! Sub cancelled. Ping was the only reason I played. What a wast of money and time I sunk into this game. Will never buy any of there products again.

Hard not to rant but F me if this is not the dumbest idea since ALP cut Rud for the Red head. Bad move bad move.

This ^

And what the **** where the ALP thinking

/Unsubbed

Anyone got a count on how many people are unsubbing yet?

No but a fair assumption is All of Them! Anyone who hasnt unsubbed yet, will either

a) Hasnt heard about this yet ?

b) Waiting to find out what their fellow friends think ?

c) Hoping EA reverses their decision ? or waiting to know a bit more ?

d) Will unsub on Day 1 this goes through ?

Anyone left over is going to be suffering from Game Depression with the transfer, the lost of many of their friends and the break up of their guilds, the lose of regular raiders/skilled pvpers (especially if you lose too many tanks/heals)... anyone dedicated to sticking it around is only going to start feeling worse when their pvp and pve start to suffer due to high latency and lag spikes. Failing to form groups due to numbers or passing bosses/betting pvp groups due to latency will drive players crazy.

Edited by Dirtyshadow

No but a fair assumption is All of Them! Anyone who hasnt unsubbed yet, will either

a) Hasnt heard about this yet ?

b) Waiting to find out what their fellow friends think ?

c) Hoping EA reverses their decision ? or waiting to know a bit more ?

d) Will unsub on Day 1 this goes through ?

Anyone left over is going to be suffering from Game Depression with the transfer, the lost of many of their friends and the break up of their guilds, the lose of regular raiders/skilled pvpers (especially if you lose too many tanks/heals)... anyone dedicated to sticking it around is only going to start feeling worse when their pvp and pve start to suffer due to high latency and lag spikes.

I disagree. Not all of us are going to quit. Most of the guild that I run will remain after the transfers and give it a go. After all, progression PvE might be a bit more challenging if you throw in another ~150ms. Whilst I have lost one of my closest friends due to this announcement, I'll still stick around for a time.

You can raid. Quite fine. At 180-200ms. It is by no stretch of the imagination impossible. A few weeks ago, I tanked NiM EC on a mobile broadband stick where I was experiencing ~300ms with rather frequent timeouts of ~8 seconds. It wasn't perfect (due to said timeouts), but it was achievable and overall an enjoyable run.

Now. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the transfers. I would *much* rather see an APAC superserver. But it will take more than a migration to the Harbinger to kill this game for me. And it certainly won't kill Oceanic PvE progression. You might just have to recruit a few late-night American players to fill the gaps.

Well I'm another subscribing Aussie player who will be leaving when this happens and I've been playing since the US release. I know it will mean bugger all to those in charge but this is unacceptable. You couldn't have given the Oceanic group a bigger slap in the face when all we really needed was one main server. In fact I'm so annoyed (it really hasn't been a good day) I'm wishing I hadn't already had an extra month processed on my credit card as I'd be quitting now. I don't normally do this whole melodramatic thing and normally I'm preaching calm, but for me this is finally the last straw. It has been repeatedly demonstrated time and time again that this company does not understand how to handle its community nor does it seem to listen (mind you with EA involved can I say I'm surprised?). In any case it has been obvious for a while that the focus has shifted away from the players and what they'd like to see (some major bug fixing wouldn't go astray) towards the online store. In fact as far as I can see about 80% of patches, additions etc. seem to be shop focused. I've seen this happen on subscription MMO's before when the panic sets in because subscriptions are down, money is getting tight and so they are feel as if they are being forced to a F2P model. All well and good but when suddenly the online store starts making money that they weren't getting from subscriptions it becomes the main focus and other things that should be the focus suddenly become secondary. However I'm digressing a lot here... My point is this is the last in a long, long, long line of frustrations I've had with this MMO since it was released in what was (lets face it) a pretty shoddy beta-like state and while I'm pretty undemanding when it comes to these games generally, I have no intention in hanging around to watch my 40ms ping turn into 300ms returning me to the same poor online experience I was getting back when I still played on Harbinger. I’m also not entirely happy about trying to find names for my 13 characters when they are moved to the US (which I’m sure will be pretty full up thanks to the antiquated MUD-like naming system SWTOR decided to go with as opposed to something a little more modern like the system used by Champions Online). Sure if the Oceanic servers had been merged I’d have been in the same boat (possibly) but to keep the low latency I might have put up with it. I think I’ll leave it there as to paraphrase Mr. Furious: Rage... Subsiding... I’ll just leave you with one final thought: I sure as heck hope that if you guys make the mistake of creating another MMO, you don’t stuff it up quite so badly as you did with this one. Take care and Toodle Pip. If anyone wants my gear it will be in the trash compactor, along with my subscription.

the voice of reason right here, I hope you APAC guys read this.

Not even close to a voice of reason. The voice of reason would be EA representatives coming on here and apologising to APAC players. They sat on their collective arses for well over 6 months after first being informed of the population issue occurring on APAC servers. And during these months of doing nothing but posting pointless platitudes on these forums, the population continued to dwindle.

We'll wait and see if Free2Play reinvigorates the servers they said. Well it did, in the US, but it didn't here. You wanna know why? Because they consolidated the servers in the US, leading to servers that were already well populated and thriving. Thus F2P players signing up were happy to join the busy servers.

Meanwhile, here on the APAC servers, they don't even bother advertising the game. And new F2P players, well they aren't going to sign up and stay on low population servers... so they're just as likely to have rolled toons on West Coast US servers. F2P might've had a chance of reinvigorating the APAC servers as well if we'd gone through the same consolidation as everyone else did.

The Role playing server doesn't have any roleplaying and the PVP server doesn't have any PVP anyway. And the PVE server, well that was actually fine population wise. So now they're screwing over all the APAC players, instead of only upsetting the few RPers and PVPers that wouldn't be happy on a PVE server.

Its an all round PR stuff up from EA. The entire situation with the APAC servers is because of their own inaction and they go for the solution that upsets the maximum number of people possible.

And then they have the gall to have Eric come on here and indicate that this was a solution that people had asked for. Here's a hint, it wasn't. Transfers to a US server was a last resort to seeing if a consolidated APAC server wouldn't work. And this was never even tried, all they had to do was open up the ability to transfer to Dalborra, the highest population APAC server. Simply rerolling became an incredibly difficult thing to do, since it involved abandoning anything you'd spent cartel coins on. The people who wanted US transfers were those who had already given up on APAC because of EA and Bioware's inaction. And you're not even giving those players what they wanted; the ability to consolidate their abandoned APAC toons onto the same server as their new NA ones.

So what is the word on character slots?

I came from Harbinger when we were encouraged to re-roll on the new Oceanic servers.

If I already have 12 of my characters on Harbinger do I get another 12 slots on there to accommodate all my Dalborra ones? Or am I going to have to choose which ones I have to delete?

very good decision, eric,

my alt finally can transfer back,

we rather to play with 200 ping in US better than have 400 ping in APAC which is totally unplayable.

Thank god they are catering to your minority by killing the server for everyone else.

As and EU player I just thought I'd drop into this thread to wish you APAC guys all the best and show some solidarity.

You've been treated shamefully by EA on this and I'm shocked to see your communities ripped up and thrown to the winds when there's a much better alternative (server consolidation) available.

For EA to say that PvP is a reason to deny you consolidation in a game with little open world PvP to speak off is just laughable as well. Spin at its very worst.

Anyway, May the Force etc .... And I hope that, for those of you who transfer, the move goes smoothly.

As and EU player I just thought I'd drop into this thread to wish you APAC guys all the best and show some solidarity.

You've been treated shamefully by EA on this and I'm shocked to see your communities ripped up and thrown to the winds when there's a much better alternative (server consolidation) available.

For EA to say that PvP is a reason to deny you consolidation in a game with little open world PvP to speak off is just laughable as well. Spin at its very worst.

Anyway, May the Force etc .... And I hope that, for those of you who transfer, the move goes smoothly.

I'd say it was more of the minor group of incredibly stubborn and stupid rpers from GD that refused to be merged with anything other then another rp server.

very good decision, eric,

my alt finally can transfer back,

we rather to play with 200 ping in US better than have 400 ping in APAC which is totally unplayable.

While I sympathise with the people in asia who have had to put up with ping like that, it still doesn't make this idiotic move a good decision.

They could have (and still could if they pulled their heads out of their asses) offer transfers and create an APAC super server. Thus giving players like yourself the chance to move, while the rest of us can keep our community/enjoy low ping rates

very dissapointing.

Sucks how we cant even choose our destination server.

I think 1 oceanic server should of been given a chance.

That's my one gripe. Personally I like the idea of merging with a US server. People on dalbora really don't understand what it's like to play on a server where your only hope of getting any multiplayer content is to arrange it with one of the stable guilds on the server. If I wasn't in such a good guild I'd basically be playing a single player game now. Just not enough population for group finder to be worth anything. Yeah I think combining the australian servers would be better but it's simply not realistic. Other MMOs don't do it because it's not cost effective. We got 3 servers for a year. No way they'll do one. We can demand all we want but when the game's already bringing in a lot less subscriptions than EA thought it would, we need to be realistic about things.

Having said that, I want to choose which server I go to rather than have one arbitrarily picked for me. A lot of people who started on harbinger will be returning to their old server. Well when I came to APAC servers I got to pick which one I came to. I chose an RP server but didn't have it forced on me. It wasn't a case of now you came from an RP server, therefore you must transfer to Gav Daragon. I made a choice. Now we're getting kicked off APAC servers I too would like to return to my old server rather than starting off all over again on a completely new one. Nothing against Begeren Colony but it's not the only RP server. If I have to move I want to go to ebon hawke where my old guildmates from the 13th legion are (formerly on sanctum of the exalted before us server mergers).