Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Defense Guardian PvP?

OverlyInfernal
11.24.2015 , 05:02 PM | #1
I've recently deceided to get into PvP (On a more serious level) but I'm not sure what class to roll with, I have a lvl 65 Shadow Consular and a level 60 Defense Guardian (A 51 Combat Sentinel aswell but I rarely touch that one anymore.). A friend told me that Defense Guardian is great for PvP, so I guess my question is just that annoying all encompassing "How do I play?!" question. Whats the stat priority, possible rotations/ability priorities? As far as I've understood from reading skill descriptions and some shabby online guides, it focuses on CC and survivability? Am I far off here? Any input here will help MASSIVELY!

Scyrner
11.25.2015 , 11:49 AM | #2
Defense Guardian totally is great in PVP!

Firstly: Mitigation is crap in PVP, don't bother. Defense is made useless by DPS buying Accuracy, and Shield doesn't work on Crits. When gearing, you'll still want the tank armorings, but you should get the mods and enhancements that boost the greatest amount of Crit and Power, while still keeping Endurance. Same for Augments: Endurance and Crit/Power.

Since the Guardian gets pretty great defensive cooldowns, stacking Endurance gives the best return for your money, while the Crit and Power both scale some of your defensive abilities, like the damage absorption shield on Blade Storm. The reason you get Crit is partially because Crit is just awesome, and also because when you're buffed with Warding Strike, your Guardian Slash delivers absolutely massive damage.

Not playing a DPS, however, your capacity to actually end people is somewhat less than ideal, so you really have two roles: 1 - to harry the healer with enough damage to make them have to split their attention, and to simply refuse to go away in whatever fight you're in, through canny use of your defensive cooldowns.

PVP Guardian tanking doesn't have a rotation as much as it has a reactionary priority list, like most tanks. When Riposte is up, use it, when Blade Storm is up, use it, when Warding Strike is up, use it, and when Guardian Slash is up, use it.

You do have a great deal of CC to use, and you should use them, along with your interrupts to make sure that whatever you're hitting has the greatest amount of trouble possible trying to cast things.

As far as guarding points, ironically, you're not actually the best for that. Post 61 Vanguard's have Shoulder Cannon, which they can use while stunned and Shadows have stealth and their mez, which is extremely useful for delaying a capture.

Hope this helps.

OverlyInfernal
11.28.2015 , 08:25 AM | #3
Thank you! That helped a lot, I've been playing this class now in PvP since I read that post and I'm really enjoying it, survivability is insane! One small thing though, I dont know if its supposed to be like this but my stuns don't seem to actually stun people. Awe works 90% of the time but seems mainly useful when either escaping a large group or slowing down a large group of players, Force Push usually does what its supposed to and is quite useful but the other stuns I've got dont seem to do anything than do damage to players. Is this the way its supposed to be?

Sorry for the late reply, lots of school and little time.

Scyrner
11.29.2015 , 05:25 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by OverlyInfernal View Post
One small thing though, I dont know if its supposed to be like this but my stuns don't seem to actually stun people. Awe works 90% of the time but seems mainly useful when either escaping a large group or slowing down a large group of players, Force Push usually does what its supposed to and is quite useful but the other stuns I've got dont seem to do anything than do damage to players. Is this the way its supposed to be?
There's a lot of skills that let you resist or avoid CC and that's probably what's happening.
People can dodge or resist pommel strike, resist push and stasis, and hypothetically resist Awe, but people generally don't have their defensive CD's up at the same time as you would want to be popping Awe.

Nightkin
11.29.2015 , 08:01 PM | #5
You may also need to read up on resolve, you know the little white circle around a players health bar or whatever wich determines if the player can actually be stunned at all during that time.
Whaaaaambulance at your service

OverlyInfernal
11.30.2015 , 08:17 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightkin View Post
You may also need to read up on resolve, you know the little white circle around a players health bar or whatever wich determines if the player can actually be stunned at all during that time.
I just read up on that and now things make a lot of sense. I think thats a pretty neat system to be honest, but 8 seconds is kinda brutal in my opinion, I get why its that long if not things would be very still standing for most players that dont know how to prevent CC. But all in all its a good balancing system. Thanks for the reply, this will helpe a LOT!

namkcas
12.01.2015 , 10:23 AM | #7
The tips here were good, but I want to give you a mental picture of your job. As a tank you are not going to be doing a lot of dps. So, your job is Damage Absorption and Damage Prevention. You want to be a nice big fat juicy target so that you can get the other team to attack you instead of your healers and dps. Most of the time they will figure that out and you will move down on the kill list.

So you move to Prevention. This includes the use of Guard, Taunt and various stuns. Your primary target to protect is a healer, but a high end dps if there is not a healer around. You can be extremely valuable because a Jugg/Guard tank with her or her cooldowns takes a lot to kill. Just standing near a node in a wz may cause a team to send a bunch of people to kill you. This gives your teammates time and opportunity to take other nodes.

So, think about it in terms of - how can I prevent damage and how can I absorb damage meant for others and you will do well. A lot of wz's I end up with as much or more prevented damage as I do dps.

Now, if your team is doing well - sure go attack the other team's healers or top dps. But first and foremost, your job is to prevent the other team from killing yours.
Lilibeth 60 Sage
THE Cames 60 Commando
Looto 60 Assassin
Obisac 60 Vanguard

OverlyInfernal
12.02.2015 , 07:04 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by namkcas View Post
The tips here were good, but I want to give you a mental picture of your job. As a tank you are not going to be doing a lot of dps. So, your job is Damage Absorption and Damage Prevention. You want to be a nice big fat juicy target so that you can get the other team to attack you instead of your healers and dps. Most of the time they will figure that out and you will move down on the kill list.

So you move to Prevention. This includes the use of Guard, Taunt and various stuns. Your primary target to protect is a healer, but a high end dps if there is not a healer around. You can be extremely valuable because a Jugg/Guard tank with her or her cooldowns takes a lot to kill. Just standing near a node in a wz may cause a team to send a bunch of people to kill you. This gives your teammates time and opportunity to take other nodes.

So, think about it in terms of - how can I prevent damage and how can I absorb damage meant for others and you will do well. A lot of wz's I end up with as much or more prevented damage as I do dps.

Now, if your team is doing well - sure go attack the other team's healers or top dps. But first and foremost, your job is to prevent the other team from killing yours.
Thats actually extremely good, I've been trying to do damage and stay alive as much as possible but this makes more sense being a tank. Thank you man, this is probably the most insightfull thing I've read so far atleast on my job in a match.

RodneyMcNeely
12.06.2015 , 06:24 PM | #9
Datamining seems to suggest that Defense/Immortal are getting a slight damage buff to Guardian Slash/Crushing Blow and Blade Dance/Ravage.

Might Tank-spec/DPS-gear hybridizing be making a comeback?

Nightkin
12.08.2015 , 08:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RodneyMcNeely View Post
Datamining seems to suggest that Defense/Immortal are getting a slight damage buff to Guardian Slash/Crushing Blow and Blade Dance/Ravage.

Might Tank-spec/DPS-gear hybridizing be making a comeback?

I gave it a try today, http://imgur.com/Qe2TGBr
Best dps i have done so far was 2,9k (in arena where people stacked up) wich isnt super high compared to true dps specs but being a tank and having the highest crits in a warzone every now and then is kinda lolworthy
Whaaaaambulance at your service