Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Defense Guardian Builds

Atamasama
12.15.2011 , 08:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by shadvp View Post
I agree that it's easy to stack sunder. Stacking Sunder is not the point to Guardian Slash. The point is, is if you have 5 stacks of sunder up Guardian Slash will do more damage. It shouldn't be used as a stacker itself.
But Guardian Slash has a 15s cooldown. Overhead Slash (with the right spec) has a 9s cooldown. It will do more damage in the same amount of time, a lot more damage (I think it's like 50% more, they aren't even close). So you end up having pretty much no reason to spec for Guardian Slash.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

MattyJS
12.16.2011 , 12:34 AM | #12
There are two main schools of thought for Guardian tanking. One is a Hybrid Vigilance/Defense build with like a 24/17 split. Their reasoning is that the mid level Vigilance talents provide better bonuses than the upper tiers of defense. I don't subscribe to this school of thought, but if you are interested there is already a thread on it....
You sold me. I'm going to give this one a try.
"I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can."
-Babe Ruth

MattyJS
12.16.2011 , 12:45 AM | #13
There are two main schools of thought for Guardian tanking. One is a Hybrid Vigilance/Defense build with like a 24/17 split. Their reasoning is that the mid level Vigilance talents provide better bonuses than the upper tiers of defense. I don't subscribe to this school of thought, but if you are interested there is already a thread on it....
"I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can."
-Babe Ruth

MattyJS
12.16.2011 , 12:52 AM | #14
-Babe Ruth

Internetosaura
12.16.2011 , 04:53 AM | #15
IT all depends to whether the shield from brainstorm is bugged or not
Interntosaura
Jedi Guardian Tank/Mdps
Udgaard - Tomb Of Freedom Nadd

ChrisJSY
12.16.2011 , 08:08 AM | #16
I cannot validate the use of 2 points for a mere 5% of Accuracy reduction on enemies on Dust Storm :/

Atamasama
12.16.2011 , 12:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Internetosaura View Post
IT all depends to whether the shield from brainstorm is bugged or not
It's not "bugged", it's just poorly designed. Most defensive abilities are percentage based so they scale as you advance. Blade Barricade, for example, is a 6% defense boost, so as your defense abilities increase so does that defense ability. But Blade Barrier (which can proc off of Blade Storm with the proper skills) is a flat damage absorption ability. When you first acquire it, it's not bad, but once you get into higher levels it loses effectiveness. By the time you hit level 50 your enemies are doing so much damage it can't stand up to a single hit so you might as well not have it.

If it gets changed to scale in some way, maybe it absorbs an amount of damage up to 10% of your maximum health, then it might be worth getting. But right now it's trash at the upper levels.

Gapenator
12.16.2011 , 01:41 PM | #18
I'd like to see that 24/17 build...
May the Force be with you

Atamasama
12.16.2011 , 02:14 PM | #19

skwrl
12.16.2011 , 04:04 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
You aren't worried that your build doesn't pick up Hilt Stike, one of the highest threat-per-GCD moves you get (maybe the highest?)