Frequently Asked PvP Questions

EricMusco

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good to see you guys trying to tackle the issues in PvP. Based on your responses most of issues exist due to PvP player population. Most servers have around 100-150 players queing for WZs at peak time and 0-10 queing for ranked (depending on your luck). You can't select WZs, cuz not enough players are in que. There is no functional match making system, based on rating, in ranked, cuz there is not enough players in que. New ranked players are discouraged to play ranked cuz they will mostly likely be matched with a much better team cuz there is not enough player in que.

The problem is clear. There is not enough population on any server to have a functional ranked scene, and sometimes even decent WZs. The only solution is to increase the population size, either by merging servers, which for PvE purposes is currently not needed, or implementing cross server ques. Doing nothing (which "we currently have no plans" is) is the kiss of death for PvP.

Also how does the lack of content not make the FAQ list, which is one of the major issues in PvP and can defiantly help the server populations.

On another note on the bolster, the biggest problem with the bolster is it does not server who need it the most, under geared PvE geared players queing for PvP. The gap between someone in weak PvE gear unstimmed and unaugged, with someone in fully decked PvP gear is higher than 50% overall impact on performance. What are the steps taken to make new players not eaten alive? It seems that every time we have a bug/error/exploit in the bolster it ends with PvE gear being shafted. First augs stopped counting towards bolster and now PvE weapons by default lose 82 expertise due to crystals. The idea is to make all people within 10% of performance range from each other, which clearly is not working out. Half the population has little clue about augs and stims, and these are killed by the bolster.

Edited by Ottoattack

I kinda wish I hadn't looked at this thread :(.

-The reason bolster remains in ranked is just ridiculous.If somebody is starting the game and hasn't got a clue on gearing,NOBODY wants them in ranked arenas,its just handicapping their team.

-No plans to bring back 8v8 ranked,which was the best pvp in this game imo,arenas are fun but get boring

-No plans for crosserver queueing

Agreed I just re-subbed after 3 months break. Damn why did they not put this on Monday I would have saved some credits those real ones called EUROS.

You said in that FAQ that cross-server queues are not on your roadmap. That's fine and dandy, but is there any chance of us getting a reason a why? A lot of answers in that FAQ were 'no' because of limited server populations. It seems obvious to me that cross server queuing (for PvP and PvE) would solve many of the issues.

I understand it's expensive and difficult and yada yada yada, but if it is please just say that instead of just saying no to an obviously sensible fix.

The answer is pretty obvious, given the PvP population (or lack thereof). It's not worth the cost to implement cross-server, if the tech is possible.

The weirdest thing about this psot is there is not one piece of good news. You would think someone would have noticed this and decided to throw us a bone of some sort, but we got nothing.

So Eric can we use this post as definitive proof of there being no PvP content/upates in the plan for at least the next year or is there something that you simply neglected to mention?

The weirdest thing about this psot is there is not one piece of good news. You would think someone would have noticed this and decided to throw us a bone of some sort, but we got nothing.

So Eric can we use this post as definitive proof of there being no PvP content/upates in the plan for at least the next year or is there something that you simply neglected to mention?

But, But, the new Huttball map!?!

Cuz that's good enough to make up for it...

Are there any plans to address teams having healer hybrids in Arenas fighting against teams without a healer?

This is a question of how long we want to wait to pop an Arena match when it relates to hybrids. We could, in theory, create restrictions around matchmaking to pair you only against someone extremely similar to your character in both rating and “spec” layout. However if we did that, it would have very serious effects on how long a queue takes to pop. We had to make a decision to err on the side of having more matches pop than simply trying to mirror the teams exactly. The only option to address this would be to tighten restrictions on matchmaking but this will result in greatly increased queue length, which is not favorable.

Do you have any plans to address overpowered Hybrid builds which are present in Arenas?

Our history of class balance shows that we attempt to discourage overpowered hybrid builds when and wherever possible. We are constantly balancing classes and will take action if something is not falling into line with class balance. We will continue to monitor these builds and adjust as necessary.

If you would just implement a stance/cell for every single skill tree, and have everything over the 2nd level of skill boxes require that skill tree's stance/cell, then boom, no more hybrids.

Edited by JaingSkiratapwns

It's nice to finally see someone from Bioware actually acknowledge the SUCK that is PVP. But what I read was... No, we don't intend on doing anything to make things better, everyone just needs to suck it up.

Responses like this are why I'm going to be taking my money elsewhere.

So, they're currently happy with PvP, don't plan on any changes what-so-ever, and will continue to make us grind for a new set of recolored gear twice a year.

wow

Why do you people pretend to want feedback, when all you guys do with it is tell the community why they're wrong, and why the game needs to do the exact same thing it's done for the past 2 years. Unsuccessfully I might add.

All of these "long internal discussions" amounted to nothing being changed or done differently......that's a SERIOUS waste of time. I mean, really, how many hours did you guys spend on these "long discussions" for each of those topics? To come out of ALL of them with no tweaks or changes? It's something out of a comedy movie.

The community managers calling themselves "advocates for the community"? That's also a complete farce. You're advocates for the developers TO the community. There's a big difference. If you people actually advocated FOR the community, maybe the devs would know what the players felt.

And, seriously, what feedback ARE they reading that's telling them that the game is in perfect shape and doesn't need to change anything at all?

Honestly, what feedback told the artists that the players LOVED the Obroan armor set and WANTED it recolored 5 times IN A ROW?

This "We're not changing anything, so stop asking" post is, at the very least, honest.

But it's also really disturbing. As someone subbed since the beginning, I feel they purposely misled me to believe things were going change for the better. In the end, there's no change at all if it's not the Cartel Market.

I had already removed my billing info, now I'm positive I don't want to resub.

EDIT: Also, everyone has lost rating because of being stuck in a 3v4. It's infuriating, and if anyone at BW actually played the game, they'd know that the team with 3 shouldn't lose ANY rating for that. It's almost nauseating that you think it's appropriate for a team of 3 to lose ANYTHING for a loss to a full team of 4.

Edited by Primarch_PWnD

Agreed I just re-subbed after 3 months break. Damn why did they not put this on Monday I would have saved some credits those real ones called EUROS.

Just call Customer Support, if 7 days haven't passed by they can give you ur money bck

Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, and one we put a lot of thought into when the decision made to keep Bolster in Ranked PvP. As many of you likely know, in the past we had an entry level set of PvP gear called the Recruit set. Wearing this set into a Warzone would put you at an “entry level” for PvP. However, having Recruit gear in the game created two important factors:

1. The player needed to know that this is how PvP at max level worked.

2. The player needed to then get the gear and actually equip it.

Although this may seem like something which is obvious to many of you who are more seasoned and hardcore PvPers, these factors being missed led to many players first experience being that they got completely stomped in PvP. Although we understand that there are certainly “dues to be paid” when you play PvP, they shouldn’t come right at the beginning of someone’s PvP career. We also want the Ranked population to be as high as possible within the Level 55 bracket so we have Bolster in place so more players can participate in the system.

The best solution for this situation was a systematic approach which puts all players on an even footing when they enter the system. We know that some feel the best solution is to simply make everyone have the same gear and stats when in PvP so that it is purely a measure skill and skill alone. However, we feel that as an MMO, gear progression is a major cornerstone of its long term gameplay. We feel that Bolster takes both of those ideas into account and lands as a nice middle ground.

It is very unfortunate that Bolster has experienced issues since its implementation which certainly created pain points for our PvP community. However we will continue to work to ensure that Bolster is working as intended! I think we can all agree that having the first time you PvP be a positive experience will go to great lengths to ensuring that those folks stick around and continue to PvP!

The reason many folks didnt use recruit was they preferred their look for the most part and lets face it a lot of the recruit gear was just plain ugly and it couldnt be ripped to put the components into their look. A simple fix would be to use the gear that has been phased out (so right now it would be partisan and after April 8th it would be conqueror). They do one match and get the box for the gear or you put it in the pvp vendor area for credits (1 box upper,1 lower and 1 axillary just like what comes out of the packs for CC stuff). That alone would be far better than the cluster of folks in 78 gear coming into pvp (both regular and ranked),getting rolled and screaming about hacks that we see on BC all the time due to bolster.

So the answers are "No", "Not on our Road Map" and "Not in our plans" for everything the community is asking for, it's like Bioware is just out of original ideas. Even if it's not exactly what the community wants try and come up with some original genuine ideas to some changes. do you think just PvE players are going to keep this game alive just because you implent some housing? how did that end up in your plans and Road Map.

Are there any plans to address teams having healer hybrids in Arenas fighting against teams without a healer?

This is a question of how long we want to wait to pop an Arena match when it relates to hybrids. We could, in theory, create restrictions around matchmaking to pair you only against someone extremely similar to your character in both rating and “spec” layout. However if we did that, it would have very serious effects on how long a queue takes to pop. We had to make a decision to err on the side of having more matches pop than simply trying to mirror the teams exactly. The only option to address this would be to tighten restrictions on matchmaking but this will result in greatly increased queue length, which is not favorable.

This reply is pure idiocy. I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry. All you need do is require 36 points in one spec tree to queue for rated. you could do this in any number of ways (lock them in while leveling, monitor only the capstone ability, restrict this rule only to solo rated, enforce 36 skill points regardless of capstone). The dev answer to this question doesn't address the question at all. they took more point is dps tree than heals, right? so they're already marked as dps. make them take the full 36 like everyone else.

The obvious point of this post is to deflect the negative comments they expect to get during the live stream.

Brilliant PR move to be honest. Now they dont have to answer any of these questions while they are streaming, they can just refer to this post, which will probably be referred to as "a comprehensive FAQ about the future of PVP in SWTOR." Which creates the illusion that there is a future for PVP in SWTOR.

As far as community management goes, Eric gets an A+

As for the answers provided by the devs... still not sure if its incompetence or just not caring about the PVP community.

Thanks Eric for taking the time to answer are questions to those posting your whine you all are acting like spoiled children. I have fun pvping every night and could care less about any of the not at this time answers from Eric. Just relax and stop being so spoiled and play the game the only issue i like them to work on is the amount of CC in warzone less CC more game play other then that the rest is just that not an issue end of story.

do you do solo rated? grp rate? I don't ever see you in one, and I don't play the other. not trying to attack you so much as wondering where you're coming from?