ION gas cylinder broken!

Mazdryk

Yeah im waiting until this gets fixed, until then i guess ill h ave to play AP/PT. ST revolves so much around ion cylinder, really takes away the fun when it doesnt live up to what it says.

If someone said "I'm going to give you a million dollars and a pretty balloon", and then he just gave you the million dollars but left out the pretty balloon, would you throw the cash back in his face and stomp off?

Shieldtech is a million dollar build with or without the pretty balloon of ion cell damage. Yes, it would be nice to have the pretty balloon but I'm not going to light myself on fire over it.

If someone said "I'm going to give you a million dollars and a pretty balloon", and then he just gave you the million dollars but left out the pretty balloon, would you throw the cash back in his face and stomp off?

Shieldtech is a million dollar build with or without the pretty balloon of ion cell damage. Yes, it would be nice to have the pretty balloon but I'm not going to light myself on fire over it.

You're a bit wrong in this. Shieldtech is a million dollar build because of the small dollars added together. Ion cell damage is not a nice baloon but it is supposed to be a part of that million dollars ... which, without that part, will not be anymore 1 million ;)

At least the DOT does more damage than on the tooltip (almost double) if you are Shield Spec. But the initial damage tooltip is seriously wrong. The other skill with a tooltip that doesn't relate is Flame Thrower, and that's elemental damage, so no armor involved there.

And tooltips do scale with gear, and some are pretty accurate.

The DoT does infinitely more damage as a Shieldtech.

... the base ION cylinder doesn't have a DoT >.>

If people are freaking out and not wanting to play Shieldtech over the cylinder not doing as much damage as it says, that's insane. It really isn't nearly as big of a deal as that. Shieldtech has a lot of reliance on Ion Cylinder, but none of that is really for damage. It is for mitigation, shielding, venting, resetting Rocket Punch, etc. If the damage were entirely removed from Ion Cylinder it would barely change things. It is certainly no reason to not play Shieldtech, that's silly.

As to Shieldtech being a "million dollar spec," it isn't. It's adequate and reliable like a 90's Toyota, but the tree could certainly use some work.

First i'll wait for some kind of combat log, a parser, or a Recount style addon.

Then i'll come here pretend i know how this or that in my abilities does or not the intended amount of damage.

Now imagine me rocket punching in slow motion, with tears of laughter and joy. Caption : "Numbers ? Who cares ?! I'm a rocket !!"

No but its just frustrating, my proc for ion cylinder is supposed to be for 100-200? not looking at the game right now, so it's not an exact number. But it only procs for around 60 or 70. Yeah I get it its a tank spec and damage is not a priority, and the ion cylinder has many other benefits. But I know it would help me quite a bit soloing when rocket punch is my most used dps ability atm. It should be around 100 more damage a rocket punch, more on crits. Soloing can be quite slow sometimes as a shield tech, any little improvement would be welcomed.

It also makes me feel like investing in more of the Ion traits is a waste of points because its really just adding more to an already broken dps part of the proc.

First i'll wait for some kind of combat log, a parser, or a Recount style addon.

Then i'll come here pretend i know how this or that in my abilities does or not the intended amount of damage.

Now imagine me rocket punching in slow motion, with tears of laughter and joy. Caption : "Numbers ? Who cares ?! I'm a rocket !!"

you read so slow you can't interpet fly text? i will cry a single silver tear, just for you :)

I submitted a ticket on this as well. It took 7 days for a response, and then the CSR I talked to didn't understand what I was talking about. They thought I was saying that I did less damage at level 4 than at 3.... I'm not convinced our conversation helped her out either. But she said it would be 'passed along'.

At level 50, my IGC is supposed to hit around 4-500 I believe. Instead it hits just less than 200. Considering it's a guaranteed proc on Rocket Punch, our main threat ability, that's a large threat difference. Rocket punch is critting for me at around 2000, so a normal hit is in the 1300-1400 range. 300 damage is a very substantial percentage that is missing.

So it's not an insignificant bug. I'm willing to accept it was an intentional nerf, and the the tooltip isn't updated, but some official information is warranted. If it's unintentional, please fix. If it was intentional, why? Did we have too much damage, too much threat?

i tried putting points in the ion over load cuz i thought "Shock" = stun but it was not that...i don't even get it, all i saw was dot and electricity on the mob but he was still moving around so i re-spec pyro again QQ Edited by ReFlexionn

It is currently bugged. At max level, fuly specced for it, its only hitting for roughly 40% of the dmg that the tooltip says it does. Its bugged. Ony thing we'v found that works is rotating your single trgt taunt into your rotation. Seems to work untl Bioware fixes this particular issue

• 2 weeks later...
I believe Ion Gas Cylinder does its extra damage as elemental is it not? Seeing as there is no Mitigation for Tech or Elemental, it would appear to not working correctly.

You're getting pretty much everything mixed up. The tooltip explicitly states that it deals energy damage.

There are four types of attacks: melee, ranged, tech, and force. Melee and ranged attacks must be checked against the target's defense, which means it can be avoided or shielded. Tech and force attacks are not checked against the target's defense at all, so they will always land.

The type of attack has no bearing on the target's mitigation, only the avoidance/shielding.

An attack can deal one of four types of damage: kinetic, energy, internal, elemental. Kinetic and energy damage are mitigated by the target's armor rating while internal and elemental damage have their own specific damage reduction (generally much lower).

Since IGC is a proc and not its own ability, it will always be applied given the conditions are met (after a rocket punch or random chance on rapid shots or unload hit), which means that the ability its procs from must land first. The damage type, energy, is then applied against the target's armor.

I don't know how much armor NPCs have. It would be better if the people concerned that this may be a bug were to test it on other players rather than guessing from the numbers that it doesn't seem to work. Find an equal level player and record the damage number and compare that to the calculated value based on their damage reduction.