Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Moitteva
02.22.2012 , 10:55 AM | #1021
Hello everyone,

We have just removed a large number of posts that strayed away from the topic of this thread and into real-world issues that are inappropriate for the forums. We also removed some responses that may not have been particularly off-topic, but had quoted removed posts.

As a gentle reminder: Due to their volatility, discussions involving real-world politics, religion, or morality are not appropriate for the forums.

We appreciate your constructive feedback, both positive and negative, and we appreciate you keeping this discussion constructive, respectful and on-topic for all involved.

Thank you.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 10:55 AM | #1022
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
I've only played sentinel so far, and have completed the class story. There is only ONE class quest where a companion is essential, and perhaps a few others where, though not essential, make sense for the companion to be there. It would not be difficult, though, for them to become "guest stars" during these class quests.
I played through as a Sentinel as well and I can think of two - well, three technically:

Spoiler

Some rewriting would facilitate it, though, and I think it'd be worth the rewrite to give us the ability to dump companions.

I should point out that I actually never have dumped a companion in any Bioware game, but I like that the ability to do so is there in DAO.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tsumedai
02.22.2012 , 10:59 AM | #1023
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I played through as a Sentinel as well and I can think of two - well, three technically:

Spoiler
Spoiler

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 11:04 AM | #1024
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

Uluain
02.22.2012 , 11:07 AM | #1025
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayik View Post
I was thinking the other day as I was looking through one of the companion customization vendors, that it would be neat to have same gender romances tied into this vendor. IE you could go buy one of the options and it would open up flirt and romance options with that companion. That way the people who would be bothered by even seeing the option appear in normal dialogue options wouldn't get offended. It would also open up the opportunity for that companion character to openly flirt with you in normal conversations.
Why should I have to spend credits on content other players enjoy for free?

Why is there all this relentless focus on finding a way not to see the option to [Flirt] with a character's own gender, while no one cares abour opposite-gender content, Dark Side content or other such points in conversations where one is faced with a significant choice?

People who are bothered by that choose the other options. I have never seen an argument why this should be treated any differently other than "because I don't like it".

Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?
That's hard to say. Right now, only my Smuggler is someone who would really be thinking in that direction. He'd be fine with Corso, given the chance.

I wouldn't mind one of those mohawk-and-sidelock toughs on the Anchorhead militia. I kind of like that whole Thunderdome / rough-trade thing they have going on. I could see one as a plain-dealing, pragmatic individual without a whole lot of sentimentalism who might take some opening up, and even then he'd want to get back to the job at hand before he felt he'd given too much away.

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 11:11 AM | #1026
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Why should I have to spend credits on content other players enjoy for free?

Why is there all this relentless focus on finding a way not to see the option to [Flirt] with a character's own gender, while no one cares abour opposite-gender content, Dark Side content or other such points in conversations where one is faced with a significant choice?

People who are bothered by that choose the other options. I have never seen an argument why this should be treated any differently other than "because I don't like it".
I agree. I think this would be no different from the "sex-switch" that's been mentioned before, and has the feel of prostitution. I think the Boot/Kill companion that is also in the Dragon Age games is the best option available.
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 11:11 AM | #1027
I'd say they'd be hero-sexual (because I'm sure they'll add in new OGRA).
Hmm. I'd like to see a few new species - I'd love a Voss companion, actually. Perhaps a Voss exile who's rejected the teachings of his/her culture and struck out to see the galaxy. I'd prefer not to have such a Voss be a failed Mystic, simply because that's a tad too obvious.

I'd like a Nautolan companion, too, perhaps even the one within the JK class story - he could join the JK after level 50 (though of course that would imply you left him alive).

I'd love it if the Sith Inquisitor got a slightly deranged (and non-Force user) devotee, a worship sort of set-up that could amuse, irritate or please the SI as the player saw fit.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

sparklecat
02.22.2012 , 11:13 AM | #1028
Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?
I guess my only real preference is that they be written as companions, as characters, first, and as SGRA options last. By which I mean I don't want to see a companion specifically written to be "the gay option", because it seems to be almost inevitable when that's done that you get stereotypes and less well-developed characters, where being gay is their only significant trait.

In terms of what I do want... Watcher Two! I don't care that she's not technically a new character, she'd still be a new companion

But in general, I just want variety, with adorably awkward and flustered agents, tough soldiers, hotheaded Jedi-in-training, or anything else we presently see. It'd also be nice on my end to be able to play basically the same sort of character as I would if they were the other gender, i.e. let my female smuggler hit on any woman that wanders by whilst being utterly convinced of how charming and irresistible she is.

sparklecat
02.22.2012 , 11:21 AM | #1029
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
I agree. I think this would be no different from the "sex-switch" that's been mentioned before, and has the feel of prostitution. I think the Boot/Kill companion that is also in the Dragon Age games is the best option available.
And in a shameless plug for one of my own suggestions, the problem of people whining that they killed off someone they want back is totally solved if you make class storylines replayable.

If this does go in, just don't handle it unequally; let us boot/kill everyone, preferably kill, but with an incredibly good reason why we were only able to kick them out if you need them to survive for a later spot in the class quest. The amount of time I spent raging in DA2 that my Templar couldn't kill Merrill...

Uluain
02.22.2012 , 11:27 AM | #1030
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Hmm. I'd like to see a few new species.
I like Cathar, but hesitated to say so.

I thought the Cathar master one brings the flesh-eater baby to on Tython looked (and sounded) really cool.

Quote:
I'd love it if the Sith Inquisitor got a slightly deranged (and non-Force user) devotee, a worship sort of set-up that could amuse, irritate or please the SI as the player saw fit.
That's pretty much the inverse of the concept of my Rattataki bounty hunter. He's messed up in a lot of ways, but part of the mix is definitely an unwholesome fascination with Sith mysticism. It wouldn't work giving him a subordinate who was an Inquisitor, really, but I like the set up otherwise.