Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 09:39 AM | #1001
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
That's why a "sex-switch" is required. A small dropbox in your Preferences with "Heterosexual, Bisexual, Homosexual and Asexual" settings. That's it.
Correction: desired by some. Not required. Only Bioware actually decides what's required; we can only give opinions.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

MoogleNut
02.22.2012 , 09:43 AM | #1002
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Plus, this is game canon (this Wookieepedia article explains the matter quite well). It's flexible compared to other forms of Star Wars canon.
In interesting, if head-hurting read, thank you

I can't remember the exact discussion, but the term 'head-cannon' came about when referring to games. In particular with Dragon Age for example with the novels (Asunder made me cry I admit ) that branch-off from the main product. The novels try to be a vague as they can but some scenarios need to be set in stone - the battle of Ostagar, the fact that a Grey Warden ended the fifth blight and the mages rebelled in Kirkwall. All these things happen regardless of individual player decisions, but in the end the world still revolves in a certain way - Leliana always had a lover called Marjolaine (boo hiss) regardless of wether she was then romanced by a male or female Warden.

Whatever the individual chooses to do is our own 'head-canon' which hopefully fits in well enough with actual canon, if one is set at all. (Whci is why hero-sexual seems the most logical choice when it comes to npc romance stories - there's no mechanical difference than a player turning Temple white or Vette red - it's their companion in their own world that has no bearing on other players, apart from their obvious cosmetic choice of course. But what is discussed between player and npc aboard the ship in our own instances play-space has no bearing on anyone else.)

Getting back on topic, even though Star Wars has many levels of cannon, the fact that homosexual characters exist in that universe at all means that same-gender relationships do infact exist in that galaxy far far away and a long time ago.

Aaand i need to lay off the caffeine as i seem to be rambling, oops

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 09:54 AM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamaranis View Post
Ah, you're asking for special treatment.
No. I am asking that if they allow homosexual relationships into game, I have to option to avoid them altogether and have no homosexual companions. If someone wants homosexual relationships in the game, I am not stopping them. Why should I be forced into a situation that I don't want to be a part of? Just like you don't want to be forced into a situation you don't want to be part of? How would you like it if they forced a companion on you that spouted hatred against something that you are for? Say you are homosexual and they gave you a in-game companion that spouted insults and hatred against homosexuality? You would not like that, and you would like the option to not have that companion, as it would be extremely offensive to you. All I ask is that it become an option to have homosexual tendencies or not.

Let's say, keep the same characters but have options that the comps be homosexual or heterosexual, choices you make when creating your character. In otherwords, you could have your homosexual Kira or Mako, or whoever else there is, without forcing other players into situations they don't want to be a part of. You get your SGRs, and those who are opposed to the idea get their traditional relationships, without any conflicts.

They should also give an option for parents of underage kids to turn off those "homosexual/heterosexual" options from the client-side so that parents can decide what their children are exposed to.
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 09:56 AM | #1004
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
They should also give an option for parents of underage kids to turn off those "homosexual/heterosexual" options from the client-side so that parents can decide what their children are exposed to.
If parents are allowing underage kids to play a Teen-rated game including abuse, murder, torture and, yes, sexual themes then that's their own look-out. It's not Bioware's job to parent their kids. That's their responsibility.

ZenMondo
02.22.2012 , 09:58 AM | #1005
Quote: Originally Posted by ryuoki View Post
There are children playing and homosexuality in action is a choice regardless if the attraction is biological. Our children do not necessarily need to be exposed to everything, and this is something they should decide on their own.

Please make relationship encounters switchable in the very least within the parental controls section of preferences.
I just did a quick check, and there is not a parental controls section in prefrences. The closest there is the profanity filter in the chat tab. What the game has is an ESRB rating of T for Teen and I am pretty sure its with a caveat that online experiences are not rated.

With this in mind my ex and I have decided that our 12 year old son is not going to play TOR because of the sexual content in the game even though it is off screen and implied by a fade to black and not explicit, we feel it would just be confusing to him. I share this as a way to explain that parental "controls" are not needed but parenting is. Personally I find it offensive that the very idea of same sex relationships needs to be hidden from children. The ESRB rating is enough of a filter to those that pay attention to such things and a software solution is not needed.

I don't see why you have to single out HOMOsexuality "in action" as a choice and implying that HETEROsexuality is any less of a choice. Sure any active action is a choice and the story telling in Star Wars The Old Republic is all about choice and playing the consequences of those choices. So far what I have seen of the storyline those choices are intriguing. What we want is MORE CHOICE. Some will take it, some will not. I don't flirt at every opportunity if I don't think its in line with how I see my character, this will not change when SGRAs are introduced but I will be a happy paying subscriber to have the choice AT ALL which currently for half of the characters my character (and lets face it, me the player) are attracted to.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 10:00 AM | #1006
Quote: Originally Posted by ZenMondo View Post
With this in mind my ex and I have decided that our 12 year old son is not going to play TOR because of the sexual content in the game even though it is off screen and implied by a fade to black and not explicit, we feel it would just be confusing to him. I share this as a way to explain that parental "controls" are not needed but parenting is. Personally I find it offensive that the very idea of same sex relationships needs to be hidden from children. The ESRB rating is enough of a filter to those that pay attention to such things and a software solution is not needed.
Bravo to you and your ex, ZenMondo. Bravo.

Cythereal
02.22.2012 , 10:01 AM | #1007
Children shouldn't be playing TOR at all. They'll see worse things in general chat than they ever will with their companions.

Noirish-Jedi
02.22.2012 , 10:04 AM | #1008
Implementation of SGRs does in no way equate to hate speach. SGRs are a bond between two people, a bond that need I remind you does not have to be formed in your game. Implementing a character who spouts hate speach however is an attack on someone for their sexuality/beliefs. Bioware would never do that, outside of their swing at xenophobic bigotry in the Mass Effect games that is.

And as Kioma points out, the game is rated T for teen (Here in Europe it's a PEGI 16), meaning that there is no need for parental controlls. The age rating specifically states TOR is not intended for children.

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 10:08 AM | #1009
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
Children shouldn't be playing TOR at all. They'll see worse things in general chat than they ever will with their companions.
haha! I do second that!
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

Raiellyn
02.22.2012 , 10:19 AM | #1010
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
It's the safest compromise, one that would not offend *anyone*, since both sides insist on pulling the proverbial blanket to their side of the proverbial bed.
I'm sorry, but it does very well offend me. I have zero demands for hiding the heterosexual content. I'm fine with it. But bringing the implication that homosexuality is worse than;

-Murder
-Slavery
-Torture
-Non-consensual sex (war-widows on Ord Mantell, anyone?)

I have a right to be offended. If this is "about the children", then they shouldn't be playing this game unless you find all of those above as acceptable life lessons for them. And if this is about you feeling uncomfortable?

Well, I'm not comfortable about torturing someone to death just to get a scrap of information.

And you know what? I don't choose the option when it is given. I don't moan about morals and demand a toggle to turn off such content.

But do I want every player to be forced to spoon Corso? No, of course not. But having an option dedicated to "hiding the gays" is well within my rights to be offended at.
"It's a bad day for heroes."