I feel for you BioWare..

Nothematic

So when server merges came into play people came on here and started moaning about they have to change their legacy name because someone else on that server already has it.

Then they implement the ability to get your old legacy name back.. and people moan about that too. Honestly, no matter what BioWare do people moan about it? Can't people just get over the fact that sometimes you have to choose between one or the other and it isn't always going to go their way?

Jesus... really starting to bug me how people complain about something and complain when BioWare try and rectify the situation.

No one ever complained about Legacy names being unique, as they should be and should remain.

I think you missed the point.

1 - Players which were switching to a more populated server were complaining that they would need to change their legacy name because someone on the new server already had it due to the legacy name being unique.

2 - BW decides to make those individuals happy and decides to change the legacy system so the naming is no longer unique so those players which initially could not keep their legacy name upon switching could now change their legacy name back to what it was before they switched to the new server.

3 - Players are now complaining that the Legacy names are no longer unique

4 - insert catch 22 where the players who complain about not being able to keep their names because the names are unique now complain about the names being non-unique

insert catch 22 where the players who complain about not being able to keep their names because the names are unique now complain about the names being non-unique

Couldn't agree more. Some find their euphoria in complaining.

If the name isn't unique and they're afraid the name may be duplicated, make it that much more unique.

You seem to be under this weird impression that 'players' are some weird monolithic entity with one mind and purpose which just keeps flip-flopping on what it wants.

You know it is entirely possible that different people want different things right?

Two things I want say:

1. I agree people do complain too much on this game... It does seem that no matter what BW does they cant win.

2. Although people did complain about the name changes... I was not one of them and would like my Legacy name to stay unique. And I have to admit the change kinda of threw me for a loop.

Now with that being said, am I going to leave the game because of it? Not at all

Am I going to sit around and complain about it on the forums over and over again? No I have better things to do with my time.

In short people this a game and the point of a game is for recreation . You bogg down the fun with all the complaints and if you don't like the direction the game is taking.

You have one of two choices: accept it and continue to play or cancel the account and be done with it, move on to a game that you feel is better suited for you.

But please stop all the complaining because the only impression you make when you do that is: Your a miserable d*** head and want everybody else to miserable with you!

Thats right I said it! :p

Two things I want say:

1. I agree people do complain too much on this game... It does seem that no matter what BW does they cant win.

2. Although people did complain about the name changes... I was not one of them and would like my Legacy name to stay unique. And I have to admit the change kinda of threw me for a loop.

Now with that being said, am I going to leave the game because of it? Not at all

Am I going to sit around and complain about it on the forums over and over again? No I have better things to do with my time.

In short people this a game and the point of a game is for recreation . You bogg down the fun with all the complaints and if you don't like the direction the game is taking.

You have one of two choices: accept it and continue to play or cancel the account and be done with it, move on to a game that you feel is better suited for you.

But please stop all the complaining because the only impression you make when you do that is: Your a miserable d*** head and want everybody else to miserable with you!

I'm glad you said it! As this is all true! ;)

I, personally, would rather not risk the chance I'm sharing my Legacy name with one or more members of my server who like harassing and trolling roleplayers, since I am a roleplayer and I'm on a roleplay server so I can roleplay with people. Which is not so far-fetched: One of my alts was mistaken for the alt of another player with a similar Legacy name and the confusion wasn't cleared up until the accuser's friend pointed out mine had an "e" instead of an "a" in it. So I'm not displaying my Legacy name anymore, which irritates me because I'm rather fond of it.

It was a stupid change to make to solve an even stupider complaint. This would be like if they removed every droid in the game because beta testers didn't like the little Power Rangers toodle the astromechs make. It was decisions like this catering to a minority group of whiners that made me jump from WoW into SWTOR in the first place. I'd rather the marketing team stop trying to please everyone and let the devs focus on patching bugs and releasing new content.

Edited by Malles

Two things I want say:

what server are you playing? LOL

Two things I want say:

thank you.

I for one haven't heard/read much complaints about legacy names being non-unique... but then again, i don't spend that much time on the forums anymore...

I liked that they made them non-unique, it actually encouraged me to roll alts on other servers instead of scrapping and rerolling toons. Now if they'd just make legacy cross server so I didn't have to repurchase everything.

Most of my characters (and I am projecting into the future here) use my legacy name as a title.

That legacy loses it's meaning if any old troll can take that same name as their own.

You group up with a player belonging to the 'Wyndoo' legacy and they are a complete jerk, then how many excuses do you start looking for when you join another group and see a different character belonging to the 'Wyndoo' legacy?

That single identifying feature, that single thing that could be used to connect a player to all of their characters, is going to be gone.

A player can act like a complete jerk, switch characters, and then simply say that it wasn't them ; Say that there must be someone else using the same legacy name.

They should have thought about this before the game ever launched and made legacy names unique but character names not unique, forced the display of legacy names (so you couldn't hide who you were), and tied ignore lists to legacy names if not both friend and ignore lists.

Two things I want say:

You = My Hero

Canderous Ordo is the place to be!!

They should have thought about this before the game ever launched and made legacy names unique but character names not unique, forced the display of legacy names (so you couldn't hide who you were), and tied ignore lists to legacy names if not both friend and ignore lists.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that there is an option to hide your legacy name. which means they aren't really forcing you to display it.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that there is an option to hide your legacy name. which means they aren't really forcing you to display it.

I dont think hes saying he wants to hide the Legacy name I think hes saying that you should NOT be able to hide the legacy name.... I think.

I complained, but not about Legacy Names. I complained about character names.

I paid to get early access for a reason. Yet, I lose all but one of my names. I made sure to get in and reserve my names on the server I chose early, but because I was forced to move to a new server that was younger than the one I started on, I lost my character names.

I was known on my server by those names, and many of the people I played with would know those names.

I couldn't care less about Legacy Names, it was character names that mattered to me. Sadly, it's too late now, but they should have given name priority to those with the oldest play date for that character name. If someone had made their character on December 21st, they should get to keep the name over someone who made their character name in March or April.

Basically, for me at least, losing character names killed my interest in the game. It may seem silly to some, but RPG means something. My characters name was part of my story for them. Sure, I could just change it....but it was the principle of the matter for me.

I am more concerned about Server Lag when F2Play gets here.

Just like the mergers the lag was insane in a Operations or PVP.

We still get Sever Lag but only less as the population is down now.

When F2Play gets here I think myself and many others will quit the game if Server Lag returns.

I dont think hes saying he wants to hide the Legacy name I think hes saying that you should NOT be able to hide the legacy name.... I think.

Not really.

I am saying that legacy should remain unique, and that when I ignore someone, I ignore their legacy.

If someone wants to not display their legacy, that is fine, but it wouldn't prevent me from ignoring all of your characters. Once I clicked 'ignore' it would add your legacy to my ignore list.

There is no reason why a legacy should have to be some secret thing, though.

You want to be 'Bob Wyndoo', that's fine.

You want to be 'Bob' and display 'The Wyndoo Legacy', that's fine too.

I don't even have a problem with someone being just plain old 'Bob', but I don't see the harm in other players being able to identify Bob's legacy in the same way that they can inspect your character sheet or look at your schematics.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, though, this is a hindsight thing.

If they had done what I would have liked for them to have done, character names would not be unique and legacy names would.

Edited by Mithros