Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Is not acceptable to be a f2p game even with 300k active users.

This is a joke for people who until now have given you credit.

Before you go to f2p had to wait for the 50k of active users, and if the fear of making Guild Wars 2 is increasingly being felt, were all wrong because the players who are still in the game are those who would have gone forward. So instead they were driving out!

I just hope that does not happen with poorer quality of play, but I fear that the game will look like from here to fall much further Diablo3 and this is bad!

Play is now losing its sense!

V.

LOTRO would like to have a word with ya..

DDO became such a massive success that LOTRO which had 150k subscribers at the time switched over to f2p and ended up with something along the lines of a 1000%+ profit increase.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked over the information and noticed something that bothers me some. Collectors Edition buyers get 1000 cartel points, but Deluxe Edition buyers like me, get exactly squat. We paid more for our game then standard edition buyers and though I would have liked to purchase a CE, my finances determined that I had to go one step lower, to a DE purchase.

I would suggest that CE buyers get 1000 coins as they listed and that DE buyers get 500 coins. We did after all purchase a more expensive edition and it would seem to me to be only fair that we also get an additional compensation as the CE buyers get, though not as much as they get as obviously we didn't pay as much as they did.

I would like to see BW remember that they had THREE game purchase types at launch and stop forgetting those of us who may not have had the money to throw at a CE, but still tried to show BW that we supported them by purchasing the option we could afford.

~S

Just adding this... AGREED!!

Morning all.

I spent, (real life money) in purchase:

1. Pre order Collectors Edition,

2. 180 days suscription,

3. Razer SWTOR, mouse, mouse pad, keyboard and headset,

4. SWTOR Prime Guide,

4. Not related to the topic, but I bought a new rig, wich cost me like $3,000, only to play SWTOR,

5. Bought a website for my guild www.therevengeofnight.com,

6. Etc.

My question is:

The people, like us, who spent a lot of money, beliving in your game, who supports your game, who plays your game, will have best gear/content/ops/wz? And I mean, if I paid $15.00 per month, can I have better gear for example? Or just a fanzy outfit, like "used boxers from Darth Vader which glows in the dark".

If I paid $15.00 per month, can I have direct acces to the "store" and purchase "special items"? Or anybody CAN purchase the special items, for example the F2P "gamers"?

Because if the F2P "gamers" can purchase "special items" from the "special store", which is the point to paid $15.00 per month?

If I can paid for "special items" to have the best gear in game, do I need to do my "daily commendations"?

And the spammers... do you have any "strategy" for the spammers, you know, the people who sold in game credits for real money, for example, I'm a F2P "gamer", but anoher gamer, (you know, the people who paid suscription), wants to sold me some "special items", (only availabe for the people who paid a montlhy suscription) as a F2P "gamer" can I have it?

You really need to clarify not only THIS QUESTIONS, but every single question made in this topic.

Damn Bioware I really trust in you! Why you do something like this? I really enjoy YOUR game, the people like us, who paid you salaries deserve better things!

I really hope you answer this.

And please, do the War Zones only available for suscribers!!

Sorry for my spelling but I'm angry and tired.

Kind Regards.

A. a Subscription gives you free Cartel Cash to spend on "Better" gear (aka cosmetic gear, cause that's all that will appear in this store) LOTRO does this, and it's exactly how it works.. I look at an item in the store, decide if I want it, and then spend my cash I get every money on it...

B. You'll have access to the store just like them... Like I said, you get free cash every month to spend in the store.

Now some people don't like this sort of thing, I'll use an example though..

I have a life time subscription to LOTRO that i bought long ago before it went f2p...Every month despite the fact i don't spend any money on subscription cost, I get 500 Turbine Points for free...I automatically get all new content in patches for free.....since my account is basically a subscription...But now since Turbine also releases Expansion packs in the store as well..I can spend my free cash on the expansion pack that comes out... Rohan expansion coming in September for example.. I'll get that for free just by wasting my turbine points on it.. So It just saved me an extra $40-50 dollars I would have to spend If I wanted it.

Guys, temper your anger. I am absolutely convinced that the only reason for BW to add F2P is to make SWTOR worlds more populated. Is it bad for those who keep paying monthly subscription? No way. We want to have big and stable population and shine there with our toons ;)

But, BW should also keep in mind that gamers want to have fun, fun and fun in game. Otherwise they will abandon even free-of-charge content. So your task is to bring more, and more, and more fun and features like every 3-6 months. This is called competition and real competition is always insane :)

Edited by RiverRaid

Why the hell am I required to give up a Facebook account (of which I have none) to vote on the community choice? I'm CE, been CE since launch, still CE and I can't put in my two-cents on which item I'd like to see? Stop relying on Facebook. Use your own internal accounting systems for this.

LOTRO would like to have a word with ya..

DDO became such a massive success that LOTRO which had 150k subscribers at the time switched over to f2p and ended up with something along the lines of a 1000%+ profit increase.

I hope you're right and that this choice does not affect the quality of game development and its contents in a negative way !

guys do not know about you but this is a f2p absurd that I were you I would have been less aggressive on some things and I deleted the subscription leaving a beauty shop, or at least not paytowin and I think you would have made ​​good profits so you risk only making a mess of fanatic swtor i hope that you listen to the comunity and you will see that you will profit even more than happy to make the player

SONRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

I hope you're right and that this choice does not affect the quality of game development and its contents in a negative way !

By the way F2P games work like LOTRO, you're pretty much required to push content out as fast as possible because that is where you make your money.

LOTRO went from barely releasing expansion packs to releasing them once per year now... That's not counting the content in between.

Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations

F2P doesn't get content updates for free

F2P gets fewer travel options

F2P gets a limit on character slots

F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week

F2P gets less inventory and storage space

F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN

F2P gets fewer races to choose from

Which means the following:

The pool of players to recruit for raiding will be drastically reduced.

The pool of players for group finder and warzones will be drastically reduced.

The game economy will go to pre-transfer state (no economy).

EA/BW profit will now mainly come from XP boosts for the levelling free-to-play players and vanity items. Which means that the team developing new content lost their raison d'etre (which was already marked by massive lay-offs) and the rest that stayed will be now occupied with designing vanity ****.

EA had 2 options:

1) invest more money to make the game worth the price

2) go F2P and milk it good

You already know which one they went for.

I really don't mind it going free to play as this doesn't affect the subscribers it only increases the population which is good and hopefully they will be buying creds and spending it so this increases the dev budget.

I am a bit angry as I only bought the game last month and subbed this month, so if I would have waited I would not have had to buy the box set it would have been free that I am pee'd off at!

I want a refund... if I would have been subscribing a while then extra coins for previous months would have made up for it but only one month isn't exactly going to give me much for the box!

Keep ya cartel coins give me my cash back for the box!

Cartel Coins? No value here. $130 for the CE, $105+ for the subscription so far... How do cartel coins translate to that when SWTOR in itself has been kind of "meh" since launch?

To be honest, I'm really disappointed. I wanted to get a CE of a game that would last, and I'm so put out that EA/Bioware are going this direction. I think I'd be happier with SWTOR closing instead, at least at that point I won't see it turn into a Free-to-Play monstrosity that no longer focuses on content, storytelling, and gameplay improvements.

I still don't know what to think of this... On one hand I'll have more friends willing to try and play the game. On the other hand, if it makes BW not to release new content at a good rate, will be bad for subscribers and for the game itself.

I'll keep my subscription because I don't like to have restrictions and I'm in a guild which invites me to operations several times a week.

Knowing if this is a good or bad decision, only time will tell... In the meanwhile, let's just enjoy the game. I'm looking forward to the stuff they're going to release this month.

Which means the following:

The pool of players to recruit for raiding will be drastically reduced.

The pool of players for group finder and warzones will be drastically reduced.

The game economy will go to pre-transfer state (no economy).

EA/BW profit will now mainly come from XP boosts for the levelling free-to-play players and vanity items. Which means that the team developing new content lost their raison d'etre (which was already marked by massive lay-offs) and the rest that stayed will be now occupied with designing vanity ****.

EA had 2 options:

1) invest more money to make the game worth the price

2) go F2P and milk it good

You already know which one they went for.

You'd have a point if ya didn't have a subscription option as well...

Chances are, people who are going to choose the f2p side, aren't current subscribers....

Also new content is basically required for F2P games.....LOTRO/DDO/COH/STO/Champions all make their primary cash from content.

By the way F2P games work like LOTRO, you're pretty much required to push content out as fast as possible because that is where you make your money.

LOTRO went from barely releasing expansion packs to releasing them once per year now... That's not counting the content in between.

We will wait and see that happens, one thing is certain, however, these changes are still a big question mark for the future of a game and its community.

how can you say in English: "cross our fingers?"

F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.

thats true and now people who had the colector edition will get more coins than the others, that means poeple who paid more get rewards. I dont like that, rewars must get by ourselves

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

^ This ^

I'm really not sure what to think! I mean free to play is okey, but those restrictions they mentioned, what if they're the good 1's like making your outfit the same colour. But other than that I like the idea, especially the new coins.:) :)

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

I have got to agree with you here! I have also been here since day one of Early Access (got the Collectors Edition a month or two after official launch) and I shall continue to sub.

I look forward to what's coming!! :D

I want to clear something up for people here..

SWTOR is adopting the same model as LOTRO and possibly EQ2 (I'm not sure how theirs work, I've seen their Vanguard model and if EQ2 is like that then rofl.. it blows...)

LOTRO model is not pay to win..You can basically earn everything in LOTRO by playing the game, granted it's grindy to do it.. you can still do it...Having a subscription just gives you everything for free.. and paying for turbine points if you're a f2p guy just removes some of the grinding..

If you want to see an actual PAY to WIN game..

http://allods.gpotato.com/

This game had an actual death penalty that you had to pay to remove..

They had to remove that because it made so many people mad they didn't play the f2p game..

However, You can buy so much stat upgrades in Allods on the shop, that you're basically God in that game compared to people who don't pay cash....

I for 1, don't know about you guy's, play a game because i have fun. If i have to pay a monthly sub for it, i don't mind. IF i still enjoy myself and i still do. So what will change for me? more people who i can do my quest's with while i level my alt's, yes. More people i can have a good time with, yes.

So to all the o no F2P, i'm un subbing. You have your excuse, your not enjoying yourself anymore it seems, MOVE ON.

so my 2 cents, i still love the game, will still play it, will still sub for it and to all the haters.

Guild Wars is that away ==> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

I don't trust EA to make a good free to play game. They've tried it with their Play4Free department and those failed HARD. Battlefield Play4Free is a dismal wretched and twisted version of it's former Battlefield 2 self. Battlefield Heroes started out alright, but shifted harder and harder to advantages that could be bought (and in some cases MUST be bought.)

This is under a publisher of whom expects so much income, and they'll get to the point where you won't be able to continue without paying on top of the $15 monthly to continue, or to even the playing field in PvP. It may not start out that way, but it will head to that direction over time for sure.

As far as Guild Wars 2? I've got a CE of that waiting for me as well. ;)

Edited by Freyar