Someone please explain this BS?

Xianyu

I went into a match, on my new republic character. I'm using an unmodified strike fighter. Everything is regular.

There was an imperial pilot in a deathmatch that was consistently two-shotting me. I'm not talking about missile/missile combos. I'm talking about head-on dog-fight, he hit me with exactly two shots from his laser cannons and destroyed my ship instantly.

Is this even possible in Starfighter?

Obviously, he ended the game with 18 kills.

Nothing about this feels legit to me.

He had the damage boost. All deathmatch matches have boosts to guns, shields, engines and damage floating about. fly though them to get them,
Agreed. Watch the chat text - when someone on the opposing team gets the Overcharge power up - either kill him instantly or run like hell. Edited by leehambly

A brand new, completely stock strike fighter has 1440 shields and 1450 hull. Burst cannons at point blank range do upwards of 1000 damage per shot. If you're getting two shot, you're probably also eating a cluster in that timeframe, which is another 882 damage.

GSF is fast paced. Lots of kills are made in a second and a half (generously). Don't give your opponents that big a window of opportunity unless you're 100% positive you can get the kill first.

A brand new, completely stock strike fighter has 1440 shields and 1450 hull. Burst cannons at point blank range do upwards of 1000 damage per shot. If you're getting two shot, you're probably also eating a cluster in that timeframe, which is another 882 damage.

GSF is fast paced. Lots of kills are made in a second and a half (generously). Don't give your opponents that big a window of opportunity unless you're 100% positive you can get the kill first.

There was no other ships in the vicinity, I'm quite certain he didn't have the power upgrade, and he didn't lock on missiles during that time frame.

It was literally just two shots, head-on, into my cockpit that instantly blew me up. They were heavy lasers. One beam from each wing. about three-quarters of a second between each shot. They were also black with a blue glow. He was a strike fighter.

I've been trying to figure out how he can consistently two-shot our ships and I'm still not seeing it. Not unless the damage boosts were spawning literally in front of him. He was near our spawn, away from the all of upgrades. And he didn't leave to get any, either.

Can crit hits do that much damage? Even with every possible power upgrade added to it?

Edited by Xianyu

There was no other ships in the vicinity, I'm quite certain he didn't have the power upgrade, and he didn't lock on missiles during that time frame.

It was literally just two shots, head-on, into my cockpit that instantly blew me up. They were heavy lasers. One beam from each wing. about three-quarters of a second between each shot. They were also black with a blue glow. He was a strike fighter.

I've been trying to figure out how he can consistently two-shot our ships and I'm still not seeing it. Not unless the damage boosts were spawning literally in front of him. He was near our spawn, away from the all of upgrades. And he didn't leave to get any, either.

I think Amondd has already answered, 2 shots to an un-upgraded ship seems fine. I'm not sure my scout needs to do too many more - its all over very quick against new ships. I dunno what loadout he's using, but rocket pods don't need a lock-on btw.

Tip for you - if it becomes a problem again, switch spawn locations? and tell your team to, as well.

Edited by leehambly

Nothing against you, but this is impossible. Heavy lasers fire at a rate of two per second and don't do nearly enough damage to two-shot anything ever (otherwise bombers would be even more ridiculous, and people would notice that because everyone's looking for reasons to call bombers ridiculous). There's no way any strike fighter can do enough damage in two shots with any laser to take someone from full hull and full shields all the way to dead without support from allies or missiles.

Can crit hits do that much damage? Even with every possible power upgrade added to it?

Oh, absolutely. Burst cannons crit for over 1600, and slug railguns crit for an even 2400. Both of those numbers are before powerups.

Heavy lasers, though? Not a chance, not without damage overcharge.

I think Amondd has already answered, 2 shots to an un-upgraded ship seems fine. I'm not sure my scout needs to do too many more - its all over very quick against new ships. I dunno what loadout he's using, but rocket pods don't need a lock-on btw.

Two LASER shots? I've played a lot of matches of starfighter and it's closer to twenty shots to destroy a strike fighter.

Next time I play a match against him, I'll just have to record it.

Two LASER shots? I've played a lot of matches of starfighter and it's closer to twenty shots to destroy a strike fighter.

Next time I play a match against him, I'll just have to record it.

But you're in an unloaded ship - why would you expect to do the same sort of damage? That would be like going into a warzone with no armour on and doing the same as someone in full... oh wait, I think I understand now.

Nothing against you, but this is impossible. Heavy lasers fire at a rate of two per second and don't do nearly enough damage to two-shot anything ever (otherwise bombers would be even more ridiculous, and people would notice that because everyone's looking for reasons to call bombers ridiculous). There's no way any strike fighter can do enough damage in two shots with any laser to take someone from full hull and full shields all the way to dead without support from allies or missiles.

Oh, absolutely. Burst cannons crit for over 1600, and slug railguns crit for an even 2400. Both of those numbers are before powerups.

Heavy lasers, though? Not a chance, not without damage overcharge.

And that's why I'm pissed off and confused.

I didn't think it was possible for a strike fighter to two-shot another strike fighter. And there were no missiles involved at all.

But who knows? Maybe there was a gunship hovering just in range and shot me while he was firing.

He was definitely using heavy lasers/something of that ilk. They were coming from the tips of his wings. Large beams. Slow firing.

The damage boost + concentrated fire + fully upgraded heavies or burst? Dead in two shots no problem. I have seen my heavies hit for 2380 as described. Also, you can fire missiles and shoot lasers at the same time. I will hold off a laser shot until I've got tone and then fire both.

He may have been in a quell and use the barrel roll proton launch plus lasers, with a damage boost and conc fire criting I doubt a bomber could survive that.

With all that said, it's not as rare as you think for this to happen.

My guess is there was another ship involved that you just didn't notice. No weapon has the damage per shot for this kind of feat except burst cannons, slug railguns, or some of the missiles, and strikes don't get access to either of those lasers.

Based on the most obvious answer being the reason, my money would still be on overcharge. the guy may have gotten lucky.. during respawn, which isn't instant, he could have spotted another - it does happen.

Pretty sure this is exactly what he is implying, but as with most cases it is simply being unaware of game mechanics. That or this person who attacked him was a witch.

Agreed, barring having any combat logs, there's only one person who knows what actually occurred and they aint here and even they might not be fully aware of it. In the heat of battle, when being camped all manner of thoughts are rushing through your head... it could be, like I often do, the F3 button was hit during the respawn hyperspace and hence shields were already lower than default. Who knows.

Maybe he killed you so fast because you are a baddie flying an non-upgraded ship.

Instead of posting on the forums, try upgrading your shields.

I went into a match, on my new republic character. I'm using an unmodified strike fighter. Everything is regular.

There was an imperial pilot in a deathmatch that was consistently two-shotting me. I'm not talking about missile/missile combos. I'm talking about head-on dog-fight, he hit me with exactly two shots from his laser cannons and destroyed my ship instantly.

Is this even possible in Starfighter?

Obviously, he ended the game with 18 kills.

Nothing about this feels legit to me.

Don't forget that hitting F1 weakens your shields... I think that they made it +20% damage (down from +30%) and -10% from engine speed and shields, so there is 144 shields gone before he even got shot.

Stop flying in straight lines. Don't make yourself an easy target and you wont get two shotted. Also, yes strikes can two shot with the right load outs.

I'm sorry, with what?

Concs and torps don't count, because OP would have noticed that. Like I said earlier, literally nothing else does enough damage per shot to come close to two-shotting anything without damage overcharge.

First, I will note that in some situations, the animation of a shot won't play.

Second, while there's no combat log, there IS damage flytext that will appear above your ship.

Third, there's a lot of things that could go wrong with OP- one or more of them did. As Armondd correctly pointed out, the scenario as described didn't happen- OP missed something.

> Damage Overcharge would explain it, but OP claims this is not the case.

> OP could have panicked and tried to get to double front deflectors. The problem is the first tap of this button is double rear, and there's a cooldown on the move of one second, so he could have pressed it twice quickly and only stripped his shields off completely.

> The attacker could have fired more than twice, and OP missed it.

> There was likely a distant opponent- I think the most likely scenario is, OP got railgunned on top of light strike damage.

First, I will note that in some situations, the animation of a shot won't play.

Second, while there's no combat log, there IS damage flytext that will appear above your ship.

Third, there's a lot of things that could go wrong with OP- one or more of them did. As Armondd correctly pointed out, the scenario as described didn't happen- OP missed something.

> Damage Overcharge would explain it, but OP claims this is not the case.

> OP could have panicked and tried to get to double front deflectors. The problem is the first tap of this button is double rear, and there's a cooldown on the move of one second, so he could have pressed it twice quickly and only stripped his shields off completely.

> The attacker could have fired more than twice, and OP missed it.

> There was likely a distant opponent- I think the most likely scenario is, OP got railgunned on top of light strike damage.

If it was a railgun, wouldn't the game have noted someone else killing him in chat? Unless the railgun landed consistently before the strike killed him, in which case the gunship had bad timing.

I doubt it was anything fishy, just like to pick these possibilities apart.

If it was a railgun, wouldn't the game have noted someone else killing him in chat? Unless the railgun landed consistently before the strike killed him, in which case the gunship had bad timing.

I doubt it was anything fishy, just like to pick these possibilities apart.

That's what we're saying. If something hit him between the two shots from the strike fighter, the strike would get kill credit and OP would think he had died in two shots from the strike when that's not what actually happened.

That's what we're saying. If something hit him between the two shots from the strike fighter, the strike would get kill credit and OP would think he had died in two shots from the strike when that's not what actually happened.

Ah ok I see now. This happens to me all the time, land a 1600 hit and it takes someone to a sliver of hull, then someone close up grabs the kill shot while my railgun is on cooldown.