Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rotation for concealment operative?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Rotation for concealment operative?

mgpfire
01.29.2018 , 07:37 PM | #1
Hi guys/gals, new to operative damage and i was wondering a good rotation for PVE and PVP (Two separate please)
Just got Operative to level 70 thanks to this double xp.
And a skill tree screenshot would be a big help as well as i have no idea for that.
Thanks in advance

Miho
01.30.2018 , 12:31 PM | #2
When opening up on a boss you should always be in stealth and start with Backstab (triggers Acid Blade and Calculated Frenzy) into Volatile Substance (makes the target assailable), followed by a Veiled Strike (triggers 6-set bonus and makes the target susceptible) and a Laceration (triggers 2-set bonus). A long opener would look like this:

(Stealth) > Backstab > Volatile Substance > Veiled Strike > Laceration (Tactical Opportunity) > Laceration > Laceration > Veiled Strike > Laceration > Backstab (Revealing Weakness) > Laceration > Veiled Strike > Laceration (Tactical Opportunity) > Laceration > Volatile Substance > Veiled Strike > Laceraction > (Cloaking Screen) > Backstab > Laceration > follow "Rotation"... (you can fit in some Corrosive Darts here already, but thats more energy heavy)

Basic rotation in PvE is Veiled Strike > GCD1 > GCD2 > GCD3. You use Backstab and Volatile Substance on cooldown in any of the three GCD spots. The other GCD's you fill with Lacerations, Corrosive Darts, Crippling Slices and Rifle Shots. However, following this basic rotation is not optimal but a good start to learn and get a feeling for Concealment. I strongly advise you stick with this rotation until you have some experience.

The best way to play Concealment in PvE is to not use Veiled Strike every 4 GCD'S but to delay/skip it occasionally and to use a priority system instead. The reason is that Veiled Strike's cost of 15 energy is very rough on enegry management and Veiled Strike's damage is actually pretty low compared to Corrosive Dart. Furthermore, the addition of Revealing Weakness and a TA grant on Circumvention can give you plenty of extra TA to spend on Lacerations. Outside of the opener you should follow this system:

• Do not fall below 60 energy unless your Adrenaline Probe is available or soon to be available (~15 seconds), this requires a lot of thinking ahead (up to 20 seconds)
  • Donít build TA when youíre capped.
  • Spend your TA in time
  • Backstab with Revealing Weakness
  • Backstab from Stealth (Cloaking Screen)
  • Holotraverse - Off GCD, if using Circumvention and if not needed for repositioning
  • Volatile Substance
  • Veiled Strike - to make the target susceptible and/or to trigger 6-set bonus
  • Backstab
  • Laceration with Tactical Opportunity
  • Crippling Slice - if at <85 energy
  • Corrosive Dart
  • Laceration
  • Veiled Strike
  • Overload Shot - only situational, if not within melee range and > 85 energy
  • Rifle Shot - if at <85 energy

This is a parse where you can see that priority system in use: http://parsely.io/parser/view/347679/5

A standard utility setup that you can run safely in any PvE content or on any boss fight, providing you with the best mix of survivability, mobility and DPS, would be this:

Skillful
  • Nanotech Suit (Survivability)
  • Chem-resistant Inlay: (Survivability)
  • Hit and Run or Infiltrator (Mobility) (optional)
Masterful
  • Advanced Cloaking (DPS, Mobility, Survivability)
  • Endorphin Rush (DPS)
  • Med Shield - (Survivability)
Legendary
  • Circumvention (Mobility, DPS)
  • Revitalizers (Survivability)

You can swap out Circumvention for Blow for Blow in fights you can reflect damage, but I suggest some practice first. You can get yourself killed easily with that utility. Evasive Imperative is also a very good utility to lower the cooldown on your Evasion. Generally you should swap your utilities depending on fights.
Nyyah

<Origin> <Failure>

kissingaiur
01.30.2018 , 01:14 PM | #3
I can speak for pvp concealment part of your question. A guildie and a good friend of mine Knin made a great pvp concealment guide updated for 5.4+.

https://www.rambol.net/home/2017/8/3...-guide-by-knin

He has won mutilple dueling tournaments and is ranked T1 in mutilple pvp seasons playing concealment.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

mgpfire
01.30.2018 , 09:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Miho View Post
When opening up on a boss you should always be in stealth and start with Backstab (triggers Acid Blade and Calculated Frenzy) into Volatile Substance (makes the target assailable), followed by a Veiled Strike (triggers 6-set bonus and makes the target susceptible) and a Laceration (triggers 2-set bonus). A long opener would look like this:

(Stealth) > Backstab > Volatile Substance > Veiled Strike > Laceration (Tactical Opportunity) > Laceration > Laceration > Veiled Strike > Laceration > Backstab (Revealing Weakness) > Laceration > Veiled Strike > Laceration (Tactical Opportunity) > Laceration > Volatile Substance > Veiled Strike > Laceraction > (Cloaking Screen) > Backstab > Laceration > follow "Rotation"... (you can fit in some Corrosive Darts here already, but thats more energy heavy)

Basic rotation in PvE is Veiled Strike > GCD1 > GCD2 > GCD3. You use Backstab and Volatile Substance on cooldown in any of the three GCD spots. The other GCD's you fill with Lacerations, Corrosive Darts, Crippling Slices and Rifle Shots. However, following this basic rotation is not optimal but a good start to learn and get a feeling for Concealment. I strongly advise you stick with this rotation until you have some experience.

The best way to play Concealment in PvE is to not use Veiled Strike every 4 GCD'S but to delay/skip it occasionally and to use a priority system instead. The reason is that Veiled Strike's cost of 15 energy is very rough on enegry management and Veiled Strike's damage is actually pretty low compared to Corrosive Dart. Furthermore, the addition of Reavealing Weakness and a TA grant on Circumvention can give you plenty of extra TA to spend on Lacerations. Outside of the opener you should follow this system:

• Do not fall below 60 energy unless your Adrenaline Probe is available or soon to be available (~15 seconds), this requires a lot of thinking ahead (up to 20 seconds)
  • Donít build TA when youíre capped.
  • Spend your TA in time
  • Backstab with Revealing Weakness
  • Backstab from Stealth (Cloaking Screen)
  • Holotraverse - Off GCD, if using Circumvention and if not needed for repositioning
  • Volatile Substance
  • Veiled Strike - to make the target susceptible and/or to trigger 6-set bonus
  • Backstab
  • Laceration with Tactical Opportunity
  • Crippling Slice - if at <85 energy
  • Corrosive Dart
  • Laceration
  • Veiled Strike
  • Overload Shot - only situational, if not within melee range and > 85 energy
  • Rifle Shot - if at <85 energy

This is a parse where you can see that priority system in use: http://parsely.io/parser/view/347679/5

A standard utility setup that you can run safely in any PvE content or on any boss fight, providing you with the best mix of survivability, mobility and DPS, would be this:

Skillful
  • Nanotech Suit (Survivability)
  • Chem-resistant Inlay: (Survivability)
  • Hit and Run or Infiltrator (Mobility) (optional)
Masterful
  • Advanced Cloaking (DPS, Mobility, Survivability)
  • Endorphin Rush (DPS)
  • Med Shield - (Survivability)
Legendary
  • Circumvention (Mobility, DPS)
  • Revitalizers (Survivability)

You can swap out Circumvention for Blow for Blow in fights you can reflect damage, but I suggest some practice first. You can get yourself killed easily with that utility. Evasive Imperative is also a very good utility to lower the cooldown on your Evasion. Generally you should swap your utilities depending on fights.
What does gcd1 mean? And thank you so much

Miho
01.31.2018 , 12:18 AM | #5
GCD is the Global Cooldown. It is the cooldown which starts every time you use most your abilities. All your damaging and healing abilties and Exfiltrate trigger it, while Shield Probe, Cloaking Screen, Stim Boost and more don't. Just look at your quickbar and use a damaging ability or a heal on yourself. You will see that most of your abilties are being greyed out for 1.5 sec (or less with Alacrity). In those 1.5 seconds you can not use any other ability that respects the global cooldown.

Like Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration > Laceration would be 3 GCD's after Veiled Strike.
Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration > Holotraverse > Laceration would also be 3 GCD's after Veiled Strike as Holotraverse doesn't respect the global cooldown.

If it makes it easier, just think of it as Veiled Strike > Ability 1 > Ability 2 > Ability 3

Hope that made sense.
Nyyah

<Origin> <Failure>

mgpfire
01.31.2018 , 02:53 AM | #6
GCD is the Global Cooldown. It is the cooldown which starts every time you use most your abilities. All your damaging and healing abilties and Exfiltrate trigger it, while Shield Probe, Cloaking Screen, Stim Boost and more don't. Just look at your quickbar and use a damaging ability or a heal on yourself. You will see that most of your abilties are being greyed out for 1.5 sec (or less with Alacrity). In those 1.5 seconds you can not use any other ability that respects the global cooldown.

Like Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration > Laceration would be 3 GCD's after Veiled Strike.
Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration > Holotraverse > Laceration would also be 3 GCD's after Veiled Strike as Holotraverse doesn't respect the global cooldown.

If it makes it easier, just think of it as Veiled Strike > Ability 1 > Ability 2 > Ability 3

Hope that made sense.
This might be asking for too much but I'm enjoying operative so much and I want to understand it better for pve so would we maybe be able to go into a discord call or something and use parsley so you can see what I'm doing wrong/right

Miho
01.31.2018 , 11:05 AM | #7
Glad to hear you like Operative. Concealment is my favorite spec in this game and I gladly help. Feel free to parse and upload your parses to Parsely and share links here, I'll take a look and can give you some hints and more advice.
Nyyah

<Origin> <Failure>

mgpfire
01.31.2018 , 08:08 PM | #8
Glad to hear you like Operative. Concealment is my favorite spec in this game and I gladly help. Feel free to parse and upload your parses to Parsely and share links here, I'll take a look and can give you some hints and more advice.

Thanks, I will do it when I get home from uni

mgpfire
02.01.2018 , 03:41 AM | #9
Here is my parsely thing, ive never used it before so i was abit confused.
http://parsely.io/parser/view/351267/5
This is the best one i did i think.
I get stuck after doing that rotation like after i cloak, backstab and then laceration like what else do i do from there? should the boss be dead by then or what?

Miho
02.01.2018 , 11:55 AM | #10
No, the boss should not be dead then. At least none in Flashpoints or Operations.

First of all what you should probably do is buying the Training Dummy Advanced Health Modulator and/or Training Dummy Expert Health Modulator as well as the Training Dummy Armor Reduction Module off the ship repair droid and apply them to the Operations Training Dummy on your ship. If you have not unlocked the ship repair droid, you can go to some friends/guildies ship and buy it there. Using these modules sets the HP of the dummy to 1.5 or 2.5M as well as applies all damage debuffs availaible in the game to the dummy.

After your opener, you continue with your "rotation", which is, as I suggested for practice, Veiled Strike > Ability 1 > Ability 2 > Ability 3.

You started doing that with Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration, which was a good choice.

At this point, you had Veiled Strike, Backstab and Volatile Substance on cooldown, which means the only abilties left to use for you at that point where Corrosive Dart, Crippling Slice or Rifle Shot which are the abilties you should use besides Backstab, Volatile Substance, Laceration and Veiled Strike.

You could have continued in that parse by applying a Corrosive Dart, then your Veiled Strike would come off cooldown, which you could have used afterwards, followed by a Laceration.

Which leads us to Corrosive Dart > Veiled Strike > Laceration

Then both your Backstab and Volatile Substance would come off cooldown as well, since these abilties have highest priority you would use them back to back.

Backstab (Revealing Weakness) > Volatile Substance

This you could have then followed with Veiled Strike > Laceration > Laceration > Laceration > Veiled Strike > Laceration > Backstab (Revealing Weakness) > Laceration. Notice how this basically reassembles a part of your opener?

Besides thinking in 6 second blocks that consist of Veiled Strike > Ability 1 > Ability 2 > Ability 3, you can also think in 36 second Blocks, which basically means your rotation could look like this:

Veiled Strike > Filler > Backstab > Volatile Substance > Veiled Strike > Filler > Filler > Filler
Veiled Strike > Filler > Backstab > Filler > Veiled Strike > Filler > Filler > Volatile Substance
Veiled Strike > Filler > Backstab > Filler > Veiled Strike > Filler > Filler > Filler > repeat

Fillers being Lacerations, Corrosive Darts (be careful with them, they are very energy heavy), Crippling Slices and Rifle Shots. Your Veiled Strike happens every 6 seconds, your Backstab every 12 seconds, your Volatile Substance every 18 seconds. After 36 seconds you made one whole cycle and everything repeats itself (besides the fillers). The part I marked red, was the part you got stuck in, get through this 6 second block and you can even repeat your opener until the Backstab I marked green.
Nyyah

<Origin> <Failure>