Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Concealment and Lethality Operative/Scrapper and Ruffian Scoundrel Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Concealment and Lethality Operative/Scrapper and Ruffian Scoundrel Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
07.13.2015 , 12:55 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Concealment and Lethality Operatives/Scrapper and Ruffian Scoundrels.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)
  • 2-Piece: Laceration and Corrosive Assault or Sucker Punch and Brutal Shots increase damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Backstab and Lethal Strike or Backblast and Point Blank Shot's energy cost is reduced by 2.
  • 6-Piece: Activating Shiv and Veiled Strike or Blaster Whip and Bludgeon will grant Enforcer's Critical Bonus making your next Volatile Substance and Corrosive Assault or Blood Broiler and Brutal Shots critically hit. This effect can only occur once every minute.
Cheers, all!
The SWTOR Combat Team
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

VonStanwich
07.13.2015 , 02:09 PM | #2
Been playing Concealment since launch, so a few of these things might sound familiar. Anyways, here's my two cents for what it's worth.

Concealment
2 Piece: Increases energy reserves by 5.
4 Piece: Shiv/Veiled strike grants 5-10% bonus to alacrity for 5s after use.
6 Piece: When used from stealth backstab critically hits the target (Cannot occur more than once per minute).

MrAeronstone
07.13.2015 , 02:12 PM | #3
(2) Collateral Strike and Corrosive assault or Flying Fists and Brutal Shots restore 3 energy when used after a Backstab or Lethal Strike // Backblast or Point Blank Shot.
-Aeronstone-

Damaind
07.13.2015 , 02:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by VonStanwich View Post
Been playing Concealment since launch, so a few of these things might sound familiar. Anyways, here's my two cents for what it's worth.

Concealment
6 Piece: When used from stealth backstab critically hits the target (Cannot occur more than once per minute).
I gotta agree with this to a degree...not as game changing as say a Veng Jugg SB but it still makes enough of a difference to matter.

On a side note since devs are looking at this post I figure id say on a side note that SB isn't the reason IA Class is the lowest played (specifically Operatives). The Reason for that is when the devs took away abilities to balance PvP (which is getting old for PvE players having to deal with i might add) they didn't offer anything to replace what was lost and so the spec has lost its "character" all it is now is a bunch of stabs that if you dont look close enough they all look the same. FFS Vengeful Slam alone has more animation alone that the entire Concealment kit combined.

But I digress, This isn't the thread for such complaints so i'm gonna stop now

royhenderson
07.13.2015 , 03:17 PM | #5
2pc - Blaster Volley now hits something and does not miss its target
4pc - blaster volley's conal is now increased by 5 meters wide
6pc - blaster volley immediately crits when it hits something (bc you know - right now it hits nothing)

But all jokes aside

2pc - fine leave as is.

4pc - reduces the cost of vital shot by 3 energy

6pc piece - fine as it is

kvandertulip
07.13.2015 , 06:55 PM | #6
The 4-piece and the 6-piece are kind of lackluster for Ruffian. Energy management is too easy for the 4-piece to matter, and you use Brutal Shots so many times in a minute, that one being an autocrit is pretty meaningless. Maybe make Point Blank Shot be the autocrit?
Wiseposterior
<The Cleverlynamed Legacy>

TyrannisWP
07.13.2015 , 06:56 PM | #7
Can our 4 piece set bonus prevent us from being roll bugged?

Please?

In all seriousness though I think our set bonuses are fine just bland like every other class with the "2% damage" and "auto crit this or that"

Almost all the 2 and 4 piece set bonuses of all the dps classes have no meaningful impact on how you play the class and the 6 piece set bonus is your standard auto crit. Almost all the set bonuses in general are just like two useless set bonuses and one that has a some impact on the class. Two percent more damage for half the time and 10% reduced cost of ability are pretty lazy imo. Are they nice to have? Sure, but they have no impact on the class in general. No dps was thrilled to get his two piece set bonus so he could have 2% more damage. No tank was ecstatic to get his two piece set bonus so he could have 2% DR a third of the time.

There are hundreds of different things that you could do with set bonuses so they could have some impact on the way the class plays or handles. I would love to see some if not all of these set bonuses get rid of the "2% damage", "10% reduced cost" and "standard auto crit" but seeing as how this is being brought up now it seems unlikely the developers are looking to revamp the set bonuses as much as they are looking to tweak some of them.

Just out of curiosity I went and looked at set bonuses from WOW (not trying to start an mmo fight here) and while I didn't understand what they meant they were obviously important or changed some aspect of the play style of the class. Again while I didn't understand them they ALL seem like something that would have some sort of meaningful impact on the spec/class. In SWTOR about 2/3 of the set bonuses feel unnecessary or worthless.

Actually on live the 2 piece set bonus is a little bit annoying because it has the same icon as the auto crit making it slightly more annoying to try to figure out if you have your set bonus up or if you are just doing a tiny bit more damage. I know they're supposedly changing that in 4.0 (or at least looking into it) so that won't be an issue going forward but at the same time I don't know why this wasn't brought up earlier (why couldn't it just be a different color?).

TLDR: The entire set bonus system needs to be seriously looked at and revamped not just tweaked.
Entity

Dropfall
07.13.2015 , 07:42 PM | #8
Anyone know if the 6-set when applied to Corrosive Assault & Brutal Shots, makes all 3 components of those attack auto-Crit?
As it stands without that auto-crit, using those attacks the 3 components are rolled separately for crit chance; so 1 roll for energy, 1 roll for internal (1), 1 roll for internal (2).

2-set - Fine as is
4-set - Mediocre, would prefer reduction in energy cost of Corrosive Dart by 5 energy
6-set - As current but for Ruffian/Lethality it should work on Point Blank Shot/Lethal Strike rather than current.

QuiveringPotato
07.13.2015 , 11:22 PM | #9
I think the 6 pc is fine, it really helps with reliably pulling off Concealment's initial burst, or even for nasty burst throughout a fight if you get the proc later on and set stuff up correctly. However, I feel like it doesn't have as much of an oomph in Lethality, since BS/Corrosive Assault doesn't hit for as much as it used to. But, the 4 pc is pretty much worthless (like.. the same as Precision Instruments worthless), and the 2 pc is meh.

I'd like to see the 4 pc apply to Corrosive Dart/Vital Shot and Shiv/Blaster Whip and Veiled Strike/Bludgeon instead, since I don't think either trees get any energy cost reductions to those abilities, and they're used pretty frequently in both trees. The original abilities don't cost much period.

The 2 pc... eh, I dunno, they're pretty mediocre on all classes. Just a boring +2% damage. I'd like something more interesting, but I don't know what to suggest. It almost feels like it could just be tacked on to some of the utility debuffs every class has received in their trees (increased tech damage on target, increased aoe damage, etc).
Arvengis | Akanias Taleri | Mhyrah | Arcuneth | Tol'ika
Arteum | Celden

The Ebon Hawk <Nerf Operatives> Youtube Channel

QuiveringPotato
07.13.2015 , 11:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by VonStanwich View Post

Concealment
I'd like to see an alacrity buff for the 2pc instead, and keep the - energy cost on the 4pc.. however, this would mean having set bonuses that are different from all the other classes! Oh no, we must homogenize!

If BW is willing to break away from that, though, getting back our old alacrity buffs would be quite snazzy.
Arvengis | Akanias Taleri | Mhyrah | Arcuneth | Tol'ika
Arteum | Celden

The Ebon Hawk <Nerf Operatives> Youtube Channel