Your Saga Continues: Story in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Star Wars™ has always been a continuing saga from the moment that the phrase ‘Episode IV’ scrolled upwards onto movie screens. With those words an ongoing, epic story was born, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ continues the tradition.

Read More

Hmm when I was introduced to the Force there was no Episode IV that scrolled upwards.

But that aside. The slow trickle out of story is needed, the question in my mind has always been in how interesting that will be. If it is like STO that is doing the same thing it may be something that I return to the game every 3-4 months to get caught up in a weekend or two and then leave the game. What I was hoping for was something more WoW like where the story expands every 6 months with enough to keep me interested for the next 6 months with an significant expansion to my character and the game every 2 years that make it fresh and new for my end game character.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars™ has always been a continuing saga from the moment that the phrase ‘Episode IV’ scrolled upwards onto movie screens. With those words an ongoing, epic story was born, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ continues the tradition.

Read More

What you talking about? When the movie that was eventually called Episode IV was originally released it was just Star Wars! None of that fancy smancy Episode IV was scrolling upwards on my movie screen!

So... 1981 then? One would figure ESB, which was the first to show a subtitle and episode number in 1980 would be when it became a continuing saga, not when they re-released the first movie for the second time and added in the subtitle and "Episode IV"

Win! I thought the same exact thing as soon as I read that, lol.

I must say though, I didn't read the rest of the article, because I didn't want any spoilers!

Ugh... Please. QQ moar about the costumes. Apparently you all haven't played the test server/read the patch notes for 1.2, otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to complain.

Listen... YOU CAN REMOVE MODS FROM THE HALLOWEEN COSTUMES AND PUT THEM IN MORE "TRADITIONAL" GEAR. Pardon the caps lock, but it seems to be the only way to get through most of your skulls. If you don't like the "Halloween" gear, don't use it. I know it's not what most of us THINK is Star Wars, but you know what? You didn't make the game. You didn't design the character outfits. Yes, you can lobby complaints to BioWare about the designs, but if they don't want to do anything about it, then they don't have to. If you're going to quit over such a minute detail, please, by all means do. I don't need your immature, whiny, sniveling prattle all over my general chat.

Normally I don't comment on threads, but I felt the need to here. I see a lot of complaining, and some of it about stuff as ridiculous as sprint at level one. HERE HERE, I SAY! Grinding from 1-14 was such a slog-fest that I regretted it every time I made a new toon. (I have friends on three different servers and am an alt-o-holic on top of)

Considering that I have YET to get a character out of Chapter One (laugh all you want, I'm a working father with two kids and have less than two hours a day to devote to the game, if that), I don't much care that they're not adding more storyline quests as of yet. Dailies are "meh" in my opinion, mostly because I don't have the time to find a group through General Chat who hear me over spoilers about other games (ME3, most recently), talking about other people's mothers, or people generally just making asses out of themselves. When new class content becomes available, so be it. MAYBE I'll be ready for it, but maybe not. I'm not going to gripe about it now.

There are several other changes that are being made that I'm sort of on the fence about. "Nerfing" (balancing, buffing, whatever you want to call it) is a fact of life when it comes to MMOs. Personally, I don't care either way. You're always going to have some whiny little brat complaining that "Such-and-such class is OP!" because they don't know how to play their own class and are getting wiped in PvP. So, naturally, customer relations are going to go "We need to fix this!" and scramble to make everything more "fair". It's never going to be "balanced". You're always going to have players more skilled than others, and those weaker players are always going to cry "OP! OP!".

I suppose the point I'm trying to get at here is that there are always going to be people crying about changes being made. The simple solution is, if you don't like it, leave. We won't miss you. Really we won't. All of you announcing your departure over such ridiculous reasons just make me happier, really. It means I won't have to deal with you in-game complaining about this, that and the other. We're getting rid of the "casual" Star Wars/MMO fans and keeping the hard-core. (I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but when it comes to Star Wars, you can bet your life's savings on it)

tl;dr - Whiners suck, get the kriff off my game unless you're dedicated to the story

Edited by Truffleupagus

Rawr! i think it is extremely cheap that sprint is now available at level 1. TAKE IT OUT!

I agree. In life you learn to walk before you can run. Perhaps making sprint as a legacy would be a better idea. After your first character has earned it's place your alternates can have an easier time ( father teaches son ).

The slow trickle out of story is needed, the question in my mind has always been in how interesting that will be. If it is like STO that is doing the same thing it may be something that I return to the game every 3-4 months to get caught up in a weekend or two and then leave the game. What I was hoping for was something more WoW like where the story expands every 6 months with enough to keep me interested for the next 6 months with an significant expansion to my character and the game every 2 years that make it fresh and new for my end game character.

I did not play WoW from the beginning and wonder if the game had to evolve to what it is today? If SWTOR was 11 years old would we be lacking for content to keep us busy? Also I do not know if SWTOR has the boast of income that WoW claims, to be able to afford the staff, facilities and structure to make them able to compete head to head yet. If you had children were they able to run and be doctors in the first month? But as I said I did not play WoW from day one and have no idea if they were the greatest game to be made. Though I did play for a while and found it would take me a full time obsession to even compete with average players with no sight to ever catch up the top tier PVPers.

Rakata, now there's a cool enemy I want to find out more about and fight :D.

If I had the chance I would keep one as a pet, i love their alien voice in game, best out of all the aliens.

How come we listen to alien voices and read the text. Are there no translator bots that can interpret and give us the english version. One of the main reasons I played this MMO, and not stay with the others I've played, is that I find no enjoyment in trying to read reams of tiny text endlessly. When I want to read, I pick up a novel, not turn on my game.

My guess is its either going to involve the Rakata and some hidden Infinite Empire or the Yu Zheng Vong. I think the Rakata would be more appropriate. I love the idea of the Republic and the Empire having to begrudgingly join forces to fight a common enemy that's too much for either to handle alone.

I think it'll be more focused on Emperor Vitiate and how he wants to exterminate all forces that threaten his existence. From what I've read he should eventually turn his need for destruction on both his own Empire and the Republic. So I'm hoping later on we get to see that as a future ops.

I am looking forward to update 1.2 and continuing the Bounty Hunter storyline. What is the expected date for it to go live? Will we ever have space pvp and better space combat? Not just the rail shooter that we have now.

I would love to see more sith alchemy, illusions, breed monsters. Mandalorian basilisk wardroids, more races. Vehicle based pvp, walkers and tanks. So many posibilities and potential for future content.

I agree on the space part I remember playing Star wars Galaxies which wasnt as good as this one when it came to game play but there space missions were pretty awesome and a lot of freedom was given. STWOR has great scenery but that rail controlled aaspect really takes a lot away from it. Almost seems as if it was a last minute add on

So... 1981 then? One would figure ESB, which was the first to show a subtitle and episode number in 1980 would be when it became a continuing saga, not when they re-released the first movie for the second time and added in the subtitle and "Episode IV"

NERD DOWN!! WE HAVE A NERD DOWN!!!!:rolleyes:

Edited by Ebbikenezer

Some really good things with 1.2 apart from the changes to killing ranged classes in pvp but

As a STAR WARS fan i'm happy i unsubbed when we see that bioware know nothing about making the game actual STAR WARS

Look at this.Just like previous gear at lvl 50 it all looks like nothing but garbage.

We wanted star wars and got to look like a joke by artists who have never seen the movies. So again TY for pushing away us

star wars fans who wanted nothing else then to live in the star wars universe.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

BULL CRACKY Smh.

I have to agree the Republic looks so bad and the Empire's ok. Man what a disappointment. I guess my current orange gear is going to have to be it and without an augment. :(:eek::confused::mad:

Break down Empire

Sorcerer PVE drop the corny metal twists and drop the 'Robbin' looking eye mask. For the PVP drop the spider web stuff off the shoulders. Revamp the jaw area of the mask and make it smooth and contour the jaw/face. Both are too fem with the loin cloth and replace it with a long robe leggings. These characters need standard robes. See below for explanation.

Warrior PvE looks good, but the PvP drop the spike shoulder pads.

Bounty Hunter PvE drop the shoulder pads and the tail. PvP looks good.

Agent PvE the helmet needs revamped and the butt box has to go. PvP revamp the helmet.

Break down Republic.

Sage PvE and PvP need to go back to the drawing board. A male consular or stage cannot wear that gear. It's just plain too fem and don't fit their character.

My recommendations for the Knight and Consular. They need robes plain and simple. With about 20-30% blacks mixed in with browns is my preference. They need to be simple, sleek and functional. Best to only layer robes or accent colors not design patterns like circles. I think both need to have a ninja feeling to them. Perhaps think of the ninja clothing in 'The last Samurai' Leather armor accented with engraved nickle metal shoulder guards, wrist and gloves. Very sleek and simple.

Knight PvE and PvP need to go back to the drawing board. PvE shoulder and arm guards are ok. THey both are just too fem and not in character.

Trooper PvE and PvP looks good to me.

Smuggler PvE revamp the head gear and remove the skirt/tail. PvP remove the side head lights on the head gear. Smuggler needs a hanker chief over the nose and a rimmed hat of some sort.

Please BW let me critic your gear as a consultant. I'm serious. I'm gifted with predicting consumer's likes and dislikes. I'm experienced.

Some really good things with 1.2 apart from the changes to killing ranged classes in pvp but

As a STAR WARS fan i'm happy i unsubbed when we see that bioware know nothing about making the game actual STAR WARS

Look at this.Just like previous gear at lvl 50 it all looks like nothing but garbage.

We wanted star wars and got to look like a joke by artists who have never seen the movies. So again TY for pushing away us

Edited by Innocences

Haters are usaully the ones that expect too much and are coming from some other mmo where they conisder themselves elitists with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

yes, i like playing sub-par games too. i don't like paying for them though :D

I'm a Star Wars fan too; however, I also realize that this takes place around 3000 years in the future so who is to say that they make it un-Star Wars like? It's a different time period hence the different dress code.

Personally, I think it's very easy to "live" in the Star Wars universe with this game and I believe many would agree.

My guess is its either going to involve the Rakata and some hidden Infinite Empire or the Yu Zheng Vong. I think the Rakata would be more appropriate. I love the idea of the Republic and the Empire having to begrudgingly join forces to fight a common enemy that's too much for either to handle alone.

I think they should pull out some old school obscure stuff from the old Marvel comic series or other stuff that is no longer cannon, rework it and reintroduce it.

Toffs and Nagai. Make it happen BioWare.

I'm going to be a rasicst ingame. Not going to help people that play other races and if I can, I will take chest from them, not join any groups and if I end up in a group with them I will need on stuff they need.

j/k

...I think.

I agree on the space part I remember playing Star wars Galaxies which wasnt as good as this one when it came to game play but there space missions were pretty awesome and a lot of freedom was given. STWOR has great scenery but that rail controlled aaspect really takes a lot away from it. Almost seems as if it was a last minute add on

After doing some space, I kind of like it. Easy xp, can relax, eat and play at the same time. :p

i love all you "experts" in the forums trying to tell BW what the majority of players want. LOL! truth be told you are all wrong. you know why? cause every player wants somthing just a little different. look, you want the perfect game for you? GO MAKE IT YOURSELF! seriously... get over yourselves quit the QQ and enjoy the fruits of all the hard work the dev team has done... with tat said, BW careful how much you cater to these crybabies or youwill lose your customer base. and for god's sake fix the bugs in your content before you change anything with the classes... common sense BW... common sense