i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

we need addons its personal preference why does the way we play bother you?

is your small brain unable to figure out how they work?

are you really bad and don't want people to be even better?

the UI is horrible hopefully they allow some and i can make my own personal UI.

So explain to me why you dont want addons because it just makes little sense

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need UI addons, sure. The basic UI is bad, missing a lot of "standard" functions. Do we really need threatmeters/DBM though? Personally I find the game much more enjoyable when you have to estimate your threat level. If we get these kinds of addons you are forced to use them though.

I like damagemeters since you can cleary see if you're doing it wrong.. sure D-bags use them and boast IF they get top position, but who cares, you shouln't be guilded with D-bags anyway.

if im not forced to use an addon... than why if they were released would people be saying you must have X or Y Dps.. and Z or Q Healing.... or you cant run with us... Thats forcing people to have addons so they can know their Number of dps or heals

Add-ons will be used to give an advantage to those without. As a mid hardcore-casual gamer, that is unacceptable. When I get home from work, I want to have good fun matches of PvP or some fun questing.

There will be many people downloading add-ons to perfect their gameplay (ex: 1 button presses to do normal attack, then special attack as soon as it procs, then follow up devastating attack afterwards). You people say, I just want damage meters and blah blah blah, but that's a croc of ****. Once people start adding those in, it's just a matter of time before people start exploiting with those programs.

I chose an RP-PvE server to minimize interaction with those obsessed people, but I'm already seeing some fanatics now that I'm a higher level.

Please, keep add-ons away Bioware, it will ruin the game.

add ons are for people who are not so good at playing, to attempt to try to be better because they are too lazy to understand and figure out their character's capabilities.

Add ons are not needed

this whole argument is based on opinions

Your game is going to be ruined anyway when no one will group with people they don't know/trust to pull their weight. Or when you spend all night wiping to a boss in a hard mode flashpoint because one of your dps doesn't belong there. Anyone doing any hard modes should have a way to evaluate themselves on the fairly rigorous fights. Perhaps they made the meters not work in normal mode where anyone can just bang their keyboard and make it through.

Regardless, damage meters are coming, according to this post:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/24/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-receive-combat-log-parsing-other/

Even if they don't add them, it is only a matter of time before people figure out how to parse the information through packet sniffers.

Add-ons will be used to give an advantage to those without. As a mid hardcore-casual gamer, that is unacceptable. When I get home from work, I want to have good fun matches of PvP or some fun questing.

There will be many people downloading add-ons to perfect their gameplay (ex: 1 button presses to do normal attack, then special attack as soon as it procs, then follow up devastating attack afterwards). You people say, I just want damage meters and blah blah blah, but that's a croc of ****. Once people start adding those in, it's just a matter of time before people start exploiting with those programs.

I chose an RP-PvE server to minimize interaction with those obsessed people, but I'm already seeing some fanatics now that I'm a higher level.

Never have i heard of a addon doing this, please link me to one. I seen addons tell me when things proc, or number of seconds left on a cooldown. I have read up on rotations to max out my dps, but never have i seen a addon that does what you used as a example of. DPS charts may be elitist, but if you arent pulling your weight in a fight why should you get a fair shot at the gear im rolling on?

If they allow add ons, eventually you *will* be forced to use them. The majority of us dont want them added. All I want is in-game combat log parsing.

really addons are not required, once they are ingame they will be required.

I played wow, i played wow without addons. I raided in a guild without addons, not damage meters, not threat meters nothing. I did this as a tank and as a dps. I did so well nobody ever questioned whether i had them or not, i guess everyone assumed i had them but i did not. then our raid leader got some addon that showed what everyone was using as addons. it was already a requirement in our guild that you have threat meter, dps meter, some stupid addon that told you to move out of the fire, and some boss addon that told you exactly where and when the boss was going ot move, what he was going to do and everything. talk about making content trivial, hell you got a mod that tells you exactly where to stand to avoid the boss from hurting you, and then say oh wow combat is so hard, pfft, easy.

anyway after our raid leader got this addon, they started enforcing everybody had to go download this crap. so to keep raiding and after many many arguing sessions I finally downloaded them. what the raid leader found out is my dps went down. when i was asked why, i told him you made me download all this crap that clutters up my screen, i cant concentrate on the fight anymore.

so yes addons will be required by lazy bad raid leaders that dont want to learn the fight and teach people the fight or just want the fight to be easy. id prefer not.

In my experience, games that have addons end up with Raid groups forcing you to use certain addons. Some addons I liked, particularly the ones that just reskinned the UI to make it look modern, but there were others forced upon us I disliked.

Addons lead to an elitist mentality, "if you don't have them you cannot function as well on raids".

It would be best to allow UI skins but nothing else. Basically allow mods that just alter what we already have, but do not allow addons that change the way we play the game. So no Threat Meters, No Quick Heal addons, no gearscore

This post tells me you have no idea how addons work.

What you're describing is a bot program, not an addon.

really addons are not required, once they are ingame they will be required.

I played wow, i played wow without addons. I raided in a guild without addons, not damage meters, not threat meters nothing. I did this as a tank and as a dps. I did so well nobody ever questioned whether i had them or not, i guess everyone assumed i had them but i did not. then our raid leader got some addon that showed what everyone was using as addons. it was already a requirement in our guild that you have threat meter, dps meter, some stupid addon that told you to move out of the fire, and some boss addon that told you exactly where and when the boss was going ot move, what he was going to do and everything. talk about making content trivial, hell you got a mod that tells you exactly where to stand to avoid the boss from hurting you, and then say oh wow combat is so hard, pfft, easy.

anyway after our raid leader got this addon, they started enforcing everybody had to go download this crap. so to keep raiding and after many many arguing sessions I finally downloaded them. what the raid leader found out is my dps went down. when i was asked why, i told him you made me download all this crap that clutters up my screen, i cant concentrate on the fight anymore.

so yes addons will be required by lazy bad raid leaders that dont want to learn the fight and teach people the fight or just want the fight to be easy. id prefer not.

Are you really so simple-minded people?

I used to play w/o addons in wow. I did what I had to do, played as arms warrior back then. I was able to keep up with top dpsers, sometimes in top5, sometimes in top10. Still, I was sure that I can do better. But how? When you can't compare the difference that you do with another rotation. Is you damage better or worse? I could use some skill faster than I did. I know that I could. But I didn't. Got POWERAURAS, my dps got better. Got Recount - I was able to observe every change in my damage. New rotation, change of weapon. EVERYTHING. Sometimes I noticed that I could use some skills faster, got some CD addon that changed that cd animation to numbers. Dps got better again.

What i'm saying is, addons are just tools. You don't need them to be good. If you know what to do you will do just fine. But addons also allow you to see why something is going bad. You see dps who is below tank? That's bad. Dunno about you, but I'm personally fed up with carrying people. I can't understand why people are so damn opposite to addons. Is it because you know that someone will finally see you're slacking or not really caring about what's goin' on?

If you pug everything don't expect high-class/hardcore players to play with you all the time. If we get recount for example you will obviously see people spamming damage from everything. In good guilds there is good organisation. People have their own channels, there r class leaders, role leaders. They see who's doin good, who's doin bad. How can you see that when you're basicly blind. THAT'S IT. We r blind atm. I play Bounty Hunter dps now. I know I do really nice damage on every fight. But sometimes I have that feeling that someone is not playing like he or she should. But I can't prove. I can't say anything. I have no proof.

What is more, I can't really compare myself to other bounty hunters. I just don't have the tools to do that. Maybe I could improve myself, maybe. I don't know. Like I said before, we are blind for now.

Ofc addons can help you a lot. DBM is great example, like you said. It told you to move out of fire etc. Well that's great mate, if you needed addon to tell you when to move out of fire, great. I didnt need it and didnt use it. I've done lots of content w/o DBM or any similar addon.

I like to move my UI, like most players. Everyone has his own unique vision how the game should look like. I don't like the positioning of my frame, target frame. I like it more upper left corner, some little skills bars to the bottom, maybe minimap aswell. Im just saying that being forced to some weak UI isnt the best thing they could do.

For the end, since this game ins't free and probably won't be, I have, we all have possibility to demand or want some things. I suppose some people will agree with this.

Peace.

Some addons maybe but not all addons.

Addons have the potantial to bring out the arrogant so & so's who think they know it all & think they are above everyone else i.e the elitest jerks from another certain MMO and that is what we dont want is to turn this game into that we want to prove we are better then them and i very much suspect that is why BW is a little hessitant about it

Are you really so simple-minded people?

I used to play w/o addons in wow. I did what I had to do, played as arms warrior back then. I was able to keep up with top dpsers, sometimes in top5, sometimes in top10. Still, I was sure that I can do better. But how? When you can't compare the difference that you do with another rotation. Is you damage better or worse? I could use some skill faster than I did. I know that I could. But I didn't. Got POWERAURAS, my dps got better. Got Recount - I was able to observe every change in my damage. New rotation, change of weapon. EVERYTHING. Sometimes I noticed that I could use some skills faster, got some CD addon that changed that cd animation to numbers. Dps got better again.

What i'm saying is, addons are just tools. You don't need them to be good. If you know what to do you will do just fine. But addons also allow you to see why something is going bad. You see dps who is below tank? That's bad. Dunno about you, but I'm personally fed up with carrying people. I can't understand why people are so damn opposite to addons. Is it because you know that someone will finally see you're slacking or not really caring about what's goin' on?

If you pug everything don't expect high-class/hardcore players to play with you all the time. If we get recount for example you will obviously see people spamming damage from everything. In good guilds there is good organisation. People have their own channels, there r class leaders, role leaders. They see who's doin good, who's doin bad. How can you see that when you're basicly blind. THAT'S IT. We r blind atm. I play Bounty Hunter dps now. I know I do really nice damage on every fight. But sometimes I have that feeling that someone is not playing like he or she should. But I can't prove. I can't say anything. I have no proof.

What is more, I can't really compare myself to other bounty hunters. I just don't have the tools to do that. Maybe I could improve myself, maybe. I don't know. Like I said before, we are blind for now.

Ofc addons can help you a lot. DBM is great example, like you said. It told you to move out of fire etc. Well that's great mate, if you needed addon to tell you when to move out of fire, great. I didnt need it and didnt use it. I've done lots of content w/o DBM or any similar addon.

I like to move my UI, like most players. Everyone has his own unique vision how the game should look like. I don't like the positioning of my frame, target frame. I like it more upper left corner, some little skills bars to the bottom, maybe minimap aswell. Im just saying that being forced to some weak UI isnt the best thing they could do.

For the end, since this game ins't free and probably won't be, I have, we all have possibility to demand or want some things. I suppose some people will agree with this.

Peace.

no my point was i didnt need it back then, i was forced to download them and use them and it hurt my dps because of all the clutter.

personally even now i can tell who is not pulling their weight in a fight, dont need a addon to tell me that, i have eyeballs that do that.

besides im not against a damage meter, im against third party addons. if bioware wants to include damage meters and combat parse logs, im fine with that. just cant stand third party addons because they generally break every single patch and take forever to fix.

actually you are wrong about the "no one forcing you" aspect. Alot of guilds go that route. That you NEED to have X mod to raid with them. Yes yes "then you dont need to be with them" but if your freinds or want to do any end game stuff then yes you are being forced to use them.

And even for awhile pugs where the same way. Must have X mod to do be with us. So yes after awhile it was a required thing.

IMO the UI is fine, its just differnt from say WoW or Rift. I don't need them to be like them in order to be comfortable with playing a game.

As for damage meters, more often than not I see more people boasting about there dps than anthing else. So I think most people just get there rocks off getting the highest dps. even at the demise of the group. Because I have seen countless times where dps is pulling agro just to pull agro off a tank.

So for me most damage meters are just a way to boast ones ego in a game.

OR maybe, you weren't as Hardcore or awesome as you think. I've run with groups before on my alts that are OK with bad or lacking players because they are just there for the fun of it and could care less what they down. But I am one of those raiders that will take a fight and pick it apart piece by piece, minute by minute and second by second to get the most out of my DPS or tanking and cd rotation.

Calling people "lazy" or "bad", especially raid leaders, because they use addons is one ignorant statement. The addon's don't teach the fight, the strat posts do. The addons just make a raid leaders job easier so he doesn't have to sit there and time everything out with a stopwatch and screaming over vent. If anything, it makes the raider more accountable for being bad or good. Many folks claim they aren't afraid of that.. but then why make it such a big deal?

I would be ok with players using addons, if they dont shove it down my throat or force me to use them. When it gets to the point that I cant do raids because I choose to not use addons then we have a problem. I can guarantee that my game will be just as good or better than players that rely on addons. I prefer not to use them since I feel players rely to much on them and never learn how to play the game. Take the addons out of WoW and you see guilds of clueless people that think they are elite raiders. I would prefer to never see them in this game so the good raiders will stand out from the bad ones.

...but thats not going to happen, players want to use the "easy' button for raids.

Edited by Steelyeye

you clearly don't understand how addons work lol

I would be ok with players using addons, if they dont shove it down my throat or force me to use them. When it gets to the point that I cant do raids because I choose to not use addons then we have a problem. I can guarantee that my game will be just as good or better than players that rely on addons. I prefer not to use them since I feel players rely to much on them and never learn how to play the game. Take the addons out of WoW and you see guilds of clueless people that think they are elite raiders. I would prefer to never see them in this game so the good raiders will stand out from the bad ones.

...but thats not going to happen, players want to use the "easy' button for raids.

I could flip 90% of this post by adding in reason why addons SHOULD be used. How do you know the raiders are good or bad without a way to track how they use their abilities or how they died so quickly on a pull? People look at this as a negative, "don't tell me how to play", but you only learn by making mistakes. There are always the select scrub out there that posts his damage meter on a trash pack or a Flashpoint/dungeon.. but honestly.. that's the same kid that makes your mom jokes on xbox live when he has a kill ratio of 1 to 22.

Edited by Krazzo

There's no such thing as "not being forced to use them". As soon as add ons are made available they will completely infect the mindset of the game and anyone not using them will be outcast. They become the simplest and laziest way to make decisions on people and therefore anyone not using them will be unable to join raids or groups or guilds. You can be just as elite a player doing just as well but be much more intuitive in the mechanics of a fight without add ons as you don't get the people who just stare at dps meters or threat meters or waiting for an add-on to tell them to move out of the fire instead of just watching the fight and moving when they should.

So basically give a normal person an add-on and they turn into a jerk. Yeah, that's not how it works at all. People who are being ******es will be ******es with or without - just look around and you'll see it at this very moment. Add-ons wont change that.

I'm neither for nor religiously against add-ons. I don't see a particular need to have them where as I prefer common sense but to each their own.

it's not even a thing

mod and addon for the game will happen, it's a garanty, just a question of time.

What i don't understand is why people are so affraid of? addons only exist to enhanced gameplay experience, enhanced pleasure and performance.

anyway, it's an MMO game, not a single player game, mod will happen.

I could flip 90% of this post by adding in reason why addons SHOULD be used. How do you know the raiders are good or bad without a way to track how they use their abilities or how they died so quickly on a pull? People look at this as a negative, "don't tell me how to play", but you only learn by making mistakes. There are always the select scrub out there that posts his damage meter on a trash pack or a Flashpoint/dungeon.. but honestly.. that's the same kid that makes your mom jokes on xbox live when he has a kill ratio of 1 to 22.

The tanks are tanking, the healers are healing, DPS'ers are killing things, no wipes....good raid.

Why do you or anyone need to track anything if everything is working smoothly? Back in the old days before addons, we had to activitly search and try out new guilds or groups to find players that knew what the heck they were doing. The good raiders would be known on servers and they would stick together by world of mouth. No one cared if your rogue was the top DPS in a group, just as long as he knew what he was doing.

As for the your mom jokes, well if they could invent an addon to detect maturity levels you would be rich, and I would use it!:)

Edited by Steelyeye