How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

Multiple posters (including me) requested this multiple times in the thread. It is either the moderators dont read PvP forums or the devs do not want forums explaining bolster.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence (or lack of staffing).

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah. I wish I'd read this post about the MH/OH before I used my rolled-over PVP weapons to kit up my new gunslinger with Obroan MH+OH+SA relic, I could have used the 7k ranked comms on the blasters to much better effect. Ho hum...

Look on the bright side -- you are better geared for open world ganking ;)

Yes. If there is expertise on a single mod/enh/armor the entire piece does not receive expertise, making a mix and match of PvP and PvE mod/enh/armor a very bad idea.

minor nit: the item does receive expertise (i.e. what is on the one or more PvP mods), it does not receive BOLSTER.

Edited by funkiestj

c) This post says PVE weapons are better for OWPVP anyway....

Yes, but not the same PvE weapons that are BiS for warzones! For open world where no bolster is in effect then the best PvE MH/OH are better than the sum(mods) <= 193 that you do for WZ.

Your original point is well taken though.

Look on the bright side -- you are better geared for open world ganking ;)

Yeah... gotta love when a 54 decides to try and gank you after you're 1/2 health and gets smeared. After not even denting your health. Also love catching up to the level 55 imp that was ganking lowbie pubs on Hoth the other day and smacking him into the ground. At least, I *think*/hope it was him.

The TL:DR version is:

@ 55

Buy your BiS Obroan PvP relics (2600RWZ COMMS; 1400 URWZ COMMS).

Augment everything.

Then,

Buy 4EA Obroan Moddable Non-Weapon Pieces for your set bonus (or in and Operative's case 2 PvP pieces + 2 PvE pieces)(10,000RWZ COMMS, 4000 URWZ COMMS).

Min/Max those 4 pieces.

Then,

Replace other pieces with BiS Obroan ONLY(except for MH/OH), as that is the only upgrade...

This is gold for new 55s IMO

I copied my other post from the dev post explaining bolster over to here in case others wanted to see this info.

and why in heavans sake is a weapon with blue lvl 42 mods(belsavis plenetary vendor) and a purple 41power crystal absolutly BiS as a weapon under bolster?

Thanks,

I went ahead and did a few bolster comparisons based on your info:

http://imgur.com/a/UdHAS

In the order of the images in that album:

1. 69,63,61 - 904.7 bonus damage
  2. 41s - 906.5 bonus damage
  3. 43s - 908.4 bonus damage (had to use an accuracy/high power enhancement since I didn't have a surge one)
  4. 45s - 909.6 bonus damage (had to use an accuracy/high power enhancement since I didn't have a surge one)
  5. 47s - 892.1 bonus damage

According to this experiment level 47 mods is were you the bolster gain starts to drop off.

The 45s weapon vs. the 69,63,61 weapon gives:

+95 endurance

+4.5 bonus damage

+ ~0.69 ranged % crit (will vary depending on other gear)

- ~.20 surge (I didn't have the enhancement to find the number in my case but it will also vary depending on the amount of surge on the rest of your gear)

I did do experiments with the offhand generator as well. It might have boosted up my main stats and ranged bonus damage but dropped my tech bonus damage by 135 so I determined it was not worth it. I am not sure if that is just the case with classes who use offhands like the vanguard or it would be the same for those who dual wield.

3. 43s - 908.4 bonus damage (had to use an accuracy/high power enhancement since I didn't have a surge one)
  4. 45s - 909.6 bonus damage (had to use an accuracy/high power enhancement since I didn't have a surge one)

According to this experiment level 47 mods is were you the bolster gain starts to drop off.

+95 endurance

+4.5 bonus damage

- ~.20 surge (I didn't have the enhancement to find the number in my case but it will also vary depending on the amount of surge on the rest of your gear)

Wow...

I copied my other post from the dev post explaining bolster over to here in case others wanted to see this info.

Thanks,

+95 endurance

+4.5 bonus damage

I did do experiments with the offhand generator as well. It might have boosted up my main stats and ranged bonus damage but dropped my tech bonus damage by 135 so I determined it was not worth it. I am not sure if that is just the case with classes who use offhands like the vanguard or it would be the same for those who dual wield.

Interesting...

It also puzzles me that the dev post is not even a sticky. It's like they want this information to be hidden ( more like they don't really care enough to press that one button)

Well, to be fair, the dev post doesn't really say anything we didn't already know to a much greater degree.

So if I'm understanding this right, it would be optimal as a Scrapper to get 2 pieces of the Classic gear (+15% Back Blast crit chance), as it would be bolstered up. Right?

I am not familiar with the PvP and PvE different sets for scounderal, but what I can tell you is that if the PvE set bonus is better then it is BiS.

Well, to be fair, the dev post doesn't really say anything we didn't already know to a much greater degree.

Indeed. That post did not have any information that casual Joe would does not know. All what it said is that bolster bolsters your stats and expertise in WZ if you are wearing PvE gear :rak_02:

Edited by Ottoattack

Thanks,

+95 endurance

+4.5 bonus damage

It seems I am getting significantly less weapon damage done in a bolstered environment using the blue 45s setup than compared to the 69,63,61 despite the character sheet and ability tooltips all pointing to a higher bolstered weapon bonus damage. If anyone else has tried this please feel free to share.

Edited by Evuo

It seems I am getting significantly less weapon damage done in a bolstered environment using the blue 45s setup than compared to the 69,63,61 despite the character sheet and ability tooltips all pointing to a higher bolstered weapon bonus damage. If anyone else has tried this please feel free to share.

For what it's worth, I tried this with a toon yesterday, using the blue 45 mods in my MH and OH, but I was not able to replicate these results yet.

So if I'm understanding this right, it would be optimal as a Scrapper to get 2 pieces of the Classic gear (+15% Back Blast crit chance), as it would be bolstered up. Right?

You can absolutely do this if you want the 2pc bonus. I don't play as concealment/scrapper, but it seems like a pretty decent bonus. If you are using the 61 version, you can go 61 armoring, 69 mod and 63 enh, or 61/63/69 or 61/66/66. This would give you a fully bolstered 2pc that you can stack with the current pvp or pve 2pc (though stats may be a little lighter than 69/66/58, would have to test it). If you use the 63 version of the classic gear from lvl 50 hm ops, you can go 63/69/61 and other combos.

Hmmm, interesting. How many wzs did you try?

If you look at his screenshots, the blue 46s actually bolster the best. I think he was referring to the character level required or something rather than the mod level number when placed in gear.

I was hoping someone would try with purple 46s to see if that bolstered even better. I'm too lazy and too much of a cheapskate to try it myself and was hoping someone on the forums would do it for me :p

Ok, boltering for Dummies, plz:

Talking about PvP: You guys (and girls ofc, sorry) are talking about itemlvl 69 armor (armor 30), 63 mods (mod 27), 61 enhancement (enh 26) as a good start at lvl 55- right? Does it matter if the stuff is purple or blue (apart from the better stats)?

But all blue 66/66/66 stuff is also a good idea? (and easier to come by on my server than lvl69 stuff)

And again: does it matter if I have f.e. 66 blue armors and enh and 66 purple mods?

Thanks guys, I'm still learning :)

Ok, boltering for Dummies, plz:

Talking about PvP: You guys (and girls ofc, sorry) are talking about itemlvl 69 armor (armor 30), 63 mods (mod 27), 61 enhancement (enh 26) as a good start at lvl 55- right? Does it matter if the stuff is purple or blue (apart from the better stats)?

But all blue 66/66/66 stuff is also a good idea? (and easier to come by on my server than lvl69 stuff)

And again: does it matter if I have f.e. 66 blue armors and enh and 66 purple mods?

Thanks guys, I'm still learning :)

Actually, no. There's an upper limit to the total amount you want. If you add (69 + 63 + 61), you get that limit; 193. At 66+66+66=198, you're 5 points over the bolster limit and your expertise begins to get nerfed (assuming you're talking about PvE mods). Any PvP mods can total up to 201 (highest level PvP mods available at the moment; Obroan) and you're still okay.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Always loved that quote. Also liked, "Feed a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Feed him to the fishes and he'll never bother you again."