1st Time Voted From a Flashpoint

Hopped on group finder for Hammer Station with my level 19 Sin tank. Both DPS were about my level, our heals was a level 16 Merc. While fighting the 2nd group right after the hallway turn, the Merc backs up too far and pulls aggro on the 3rd mob (the 1 with 2 elites and 3 strong) and we wipe. I asked him nicely to keep close next time if he was unfamiliar with the flashpoint. We rez and approach again. I ask for a cc. The Merc starts blasting me with his gun heal, pulling aggro on the group again, we kill most of them but wipe. Rez, kill the rest. I notice 1 of the DPS initiate a vote to kick me. The heals tells me to leave if I don't know how to tank. As I'm typing to make sure they know the heals messed up I am voted. It's probably best I didn't stay with such an oblivious group. I reminded myself afterwards about tanking Xeno II 16 man HM earlier with my guardian. Edited by Strainge

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is always the tanks fault no matter what happens and who is really the cause.

feel fortunate to not have to deal with these kiddies any more and leave them to their own demise. hopefully you did put them all on ignore too.

tbh, if the healer did nothing but heal he should never get agro. I dont care how much he blast you with heals, you should be able to keep the healer alive. Keeping the dps alive is not your problem. dps will have to take care of themselves.

tbh, if the healer did nothing but heal he should never get agro. I dont care how much he blast you with heals, you should be able to keep the healer alive. Keeping the dps alive is not your problem. dps will have to take care of themselves.

Sorry dude but he certainly pulled them, both times. I was nice the 1st time. The 2nd time he was closest and his gun heal triggered it. He immediately had 2 elites, 3 strong, and a few trash all attacking him at once. I only have single taunt at level 19. He went down in seconds. Everyone who knows hammer station knows that's easily the toughest pull in there and 1 of the elites should be CC'd, and ALWAYS to wait for the tank to pull. I'm not perfect in

this game, but I always man up and take the blame when I'm at fault, and I wasn't in this case. But thank you for the input. I also totally forgot to mention that I was in stealth, the heals was closest to the mob and firing his heal gun, there's no way that he didn't pull aggro.

Edited by Strainge

Which is why I don't play my tank in Pugs anymore.. I simply can't be bothered with the know-it-alls that tell you that it's your fault when it quite clearly isn't..

I think it's the single biggest reason why tanks are needed for GF pops the most.. The amount of abuse you have to suffer is immense..

And yes, I know how to tank..

As a healer, I've seen enough blaming the tank to last a lifetime. Unfortunately for most DPS, indulging in the accusations might make you feel good right at the moment, but burns you later. That tank will eventually get fed up and quit, or will fall in with a couple DPS and a heals that does not give him/her grief and you'll never see them tank for PuGs again.

Either way, you have one less tank out there.

As someone who's mains are Assasin and Jugg tanks and I am now leveling a Shadow tank I know your pain. The low level FP are hard on a tank because people bring their normal expectations of a tank and think a level 19 can do the same. You simply do not have the abilities yet.

Just remember they were still waiting for a replacent tank while you were halfway through with a new group.

Sorry dude but he certainly pulled them, both times. I was nice the 1st time. The 2nd time he was closest and his gun heal triggered it. He immediately had 2 elites, 3 strong, and a few trash all attacking him at once. I only have single taunt at level 19. He went down in seconds. Everyone who knows hammer station knows that's easily the toughest pull in there and 1 of the elites should be CC'd, and ALWAYS to wait for the tank to pull. I'm not perfect in

this game, but I always man up and take the blame when I'm at fault, and I wasn't in this case. But thank you for the input. I also totally forgot to mention that I was in stealth, the heals was closest to the mob and firing his heal gun, there's no way that he didn't pull aggro.

Is it even possible for a heal to start an encounter? I've not seen that before.

I assume by gun heal you mean Hammer Shot, which is weird since I've never seen a healing skill start an encounter. It's possible that your healer wandered into the enemies' aggro range and fired Hammer Shot at the exact same second, but then it would have been his proximity to the hostile mobs that started the fight, not the fact that he was healing you. I had heals ticking on Shadow/Sin tanks when they were very close to hostiles (for example Emergency Medpack on my Scoundrel or Resurgence on my Sorcerer), but these heals never started the encounter.

I'm guessing a more likely scenario would be (I'm reading the situation correctly) that the mobs simply saw through your stealth At level19, you don't really have a stealth level difference advantage and Kinetic Combat tanks don't benefit from the extra stealth levels from the Infiltration tree.

So what I would say happened is either he stood too close to the mobs and his proximity started the fight or the mobs saw through your stealth as he was using Hammer Shot on you. Either way, it wasn't his gun heal that started the fight. But that's just my opinion, anyway.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Is it even possible for a heal to start an encounter? I've not seen that before.

No, healing someone out-of-combat is never ever a pull mechanic. Someone had to be in proximity. There's no mention of certain things you'd expect the tank to say, like who was guarded and the cooldown of taunt.

I ask for a cc. The Merc starts blasting me with his gun heal, pulling aggro on the group again, we kill most of them but wipe

I see no talk of attempting to regain aggro from the healer. No mention of the cooldown of the next taunt. So I'm assuming the healer died. In most groups, if the healer dies and all they did was heal, the tank says "Sorry taunt was on cooldown" or "Oops". Especially if the tank had just accidentally got too close to a pack of enemies and accidentally face pulled, only to blame it on the healer healing out of combat.

It sounds like the people who voted to kick the tank saved themselves from an argument. The same one we're having on the forum.

Sorry dude but he certainly pulled them, both times. I was nice the 1st time. The 2nd time he was closest and his gun heal triggered it. He immediately had 2 elites, 3 strong, and a few trash all attacking him at once. I only have single taunt at level 19. He went down in seconds.

If everybody's outside of aggro range a heal will not pull. When someone goes afk sometimes I'll put an AOE heal directly under a group of mobs for the chuckles. They do not pull.

However, if someone (not necessarily the healer) facepulls or arsepulls WHILE the healer is healing, the healer will get aggro immediately. This causes a disproportionate amount of healers to be blamed for facepulling, since they're always the first to die. If he was closest he probably did the facepulling and his healing at the same time just sealed the deal.

@Suzina

If you read my original post and the response to a reply, I clearly explain exactly what happened before, during, and after. I'm level 19 with a single taunt, and the healer was level 16. He ran too close to the mob and was dead in under 3 seconds. Of course I taunted 1 of the elites and right after used my 8 second cc on the other, I can only do so much. I don't know what you want to hear other than that. I've been playing this game since it first dropped, and did a lot of dumb stuff in the beginning. But I always manned up, took my ****, and learned from it. BTW I joined another group right away and the heals was also level 16, but the 2 DPS were each 2 levels lower than the last group, and we flew through it. No wipes. No one else pulling. All nice, friendly people. It certainly made up for it.

Edited by Strainge

sorta thing similar happened to me today, except as healer

was healing cademimu and one of our dps was in lvl 20 gear, so he kept on dying faster than i could sneeze becasue he broke ccs and attacked unaggroed mobs. Coudl sware he wanted to reach through my screen and throttle me for letting him die

Why are you so concerned about this if you only get a single taunt?

Let them know that and tell the dps to cc or to concentrate on one npc to make things easier.

An individual who ridicules another is normally the fool. I bet you the healer also dps'd mobs at that level bc you do not need major heals for HS.

Well, exept for that one pull. It´s the first tricky pull in a FP. Everything up till that have been cake. Usually as tank i just ignore the elites and pick up all trash then taunt the elite the dps haven´t just about killed. Ofc if it´s a good group they will cc one elite and kill trash. Then i´ll ofc fokus on holding the stronger mobs.

Just got mind maze and dark ward at level 20. That'll help a bunch. I don't think aoe taunt comes til level 28-ish. I totally get that as the tank even if I'm not the 1 who messes up it's my job to get us through it. Unless of course a DPS keeps pulling the mobs, then I sit back and let em die so they learn not to do that. I have a 50 guardian that I tank endgame with, so I'm not new to the tank aspect. A lot of people suggest to level as DPS to 50 cause it's quicker, but I disagree with this, as you will be a better tank at 50 if you level as one. The 1-49 is a learning phase for sure. Thanks for all the feedback, even if you disagree with me.

Why are you so concerned about this if you only get a single taunt?

Let them know that and tell the dps to cc or to concentrate on one npc to make things easier.

An individual who ridicules another is normally the fool. I bet you the healer also dps'd mobs at that level bc you do not need major heals for HS.

He said that he told the healer to CC and that's when the healer healed him instead.

If he asked the lvl 16 merc to CC, I think he asked the impossible. I remember getting my Commando CC around 20ish.

Level 22.

Was there a scoundrel, gunslinger or sage in the group? They're the only ones that can CC before level 20, with sage being the only one that can CC non-droids, while level 20 gives the shadow and scoundrel their saps.

Hopped on group finder for Hammer Station with my level 19 Sin tank. Both DPS were about my level, our heals was a level 16 Merc. While fighting the 2nd group right after the hallway turn, the Merc backs up too far and pulls aggro on the 3rd mob (the 1 with 2 elites and 3 strong) and we wipe. I asked him nicely to keep close next time if he was unfamiliar with the flashpoint. We rez and approach again. I ask for a cc. The Merc starts blasting me with his gun heal, pulling aggro on the group again, we kill most of them but wipe. Rez, kill the rest. I notice 1 of the DPS initiate a vote to kick me. The heals tells me to leave if I don't know how to tank. As I'm typing to make sure they know the heals messed up I am voted. It's probably best I didn't stay with such an oblivious group. I reminded myself afterwards about tanking Xeno II 16 man HM earlier with my guardian.

This story doesn't make sense to me. First problem is that a raid member can't pull a dormant mob by healing someone. Second problem is that groups will generally not kick a tank under almost any circumstances because replacement q times are really long.

If memory serves, these are groups of robots, are they not? You weren't, by chance, stealthed, were you? Because if you're stealthed near robots, even outside of normal aggro range, that pulls them.

If I saw a tank stealth and pull two mobs of robots multiple times at the start of a flashpoint, lecture the healer and someone instituted a kick, I might vote yes, though more than likely, I'd have told you to quit stealthing near robots. Also, I'm not certain mercs even have a cc at 16.

I had a healer in Kaon that insisted on running ahead, pulling everything - even the skippable mobs - and abusing me for "bad tanking" in the process. Was really fun stealthing out of combat after the pulled the Behemoth. The beast chased him, and the two dumb dps who sided with him, for a few minutes eventually killing them all. I got voted out and abused a bit more. Fun times. :D