Get rid of unranked

RACATW

Think your cure is worse than the disease. Most games you can expect the objectives are being played. it's very rare to see games where the entire team, except for you, isn't playing the objectives. What you're describing is not the norm. I think if you PVP long enough you'll see that things tend to average out. Not to say things never get streaky, they absolutely do, it's just expected the winning team played the objectives.

I do think that normal WZ are much more fun then ranked Arenas are or can ever be when the situation is right.

Saying that I do rage quit normal WZs when the team is just made of fools, and have no interest in winning the game.

My Rage Quit rate is about 25% so that means in four game I do leave one.

Some Rage Quit scenarios but not all no mid control in Huttball or ball handler support, no switch to side in and defense of turrets in one of the war torn maps (CW, Denova), losing door pretty fast in Voidstar and no reporting.

I do think that normal WZ are much more fun then ranked Arenas are or can ever be when the situation is right.

Saying that I do rage quit normal WZs when the team is just made of fools, and have no interest in winning the game.

My Rage Quit rate is about 25% so that means in four game I do leave one.

Some Rage Quit scenarios but not all no mid control in Huttball or ball handler support, no switch to side in and defense of turrets in one of the war torn maps (CW, Denova), losing door pretty fast in Voidstar and no reporting.

"Normal" wzs used to also be ranked before 2013.

What Im saying is make them ranked again in some way and take away any unranked wzs.

Here a random ranked huttball match for your entertainment

Edited by RACATW

What Im saying is make them ranked again in some way and take away any unranked wzs.

That won’t solve the problem or make people care about the objectives. It will just make less people play because they are scared of the word “ranked”.

The only way you can change the behaviour and mentality people have in 8v8 is to incentivise them to play properly.

My proposal would be to halve all rewards if you lose and double the rewards if you win.

Put in a deserter CD of 15 mins if you rage quit after the match starts (you can still leave the match before the 30 secs CD at the start).

Add another incentive of some sort for winning.

That won’t solve the problem or make people care about the objectives. It will just make less people play because they are scared of the word “ranked”.

I would like to see every match become ranked, but I think Trix is right. There are people on the forum reading this right now quaking in fear and ready to QQ if it were to happen. Sigh

At least we’ll always have ranked forum pvp, right?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Yes I know. I used to play them a lot. Problem is ranked WZs need to be a team of 8. I am not sure solos can work well in 8s.

Yes I know. I used to play them a lot. Problem is ranked WZs need to be a team of 8. I am not sure solos can work well in 8s.

I agree. Wzs dont work well at all anymore. Everything is treated as if it is ranked in unranked.

So since all wzs treated that way, just make it ranked. Then people won't want to just kill anymore they will want to win.

Edited by RACATW

Good thing the fun police are here to post about how players are putting too much focus on killing other players in PvP. Perhaps you weren't a part of 8v8 ranked, but 99% of it was killing other players. There were no clever CC chains into taking objectives against coordinated groups. Either they were outkilling you and winning or you were outkilling them and winning.

Good thing the fun police are here to post about how players are putting too much focus on killing other players in PvP. Perhaps you weren't a part of 8v8 ranked, but 99% of it was killing other players. There were no clever CC chains into taking objectives against coordinated groups. Either they were outkilling you and winning or you were outkilling them and winning.

I guarantee no ranked players were stupid enough not to cap an objective while they could (look at the rush to get the huttball in that video, every single time). And yet, that's what happens now, people outright ignore objectives and never cap.

Frankly, if the other team is bad enough that they can be farmed, it's not that fun for me. I always enjoy close matches the most. Certain individuals do like crushing the competition and hearing the lamentations of their women, but not everyone does.

Edited by RACATW

I think solo 8s would have worked. It couldn’t be any worse than solo 4s and that’s the most popular ranked format.

It would also remove premades from the equation.

Unfortunately, we don’t have enough people for a solo 8s queue and turning regs into ranked wouldn’t work because noobs and newbies would be scared off because of the word “ranked”.

Some others solutions could be with the expansion going to lvl 75.

Option 1 :

Add a noob bracket for end game. Otherwise lowbies and Mids brackets will be too big.

Change bracket lvls :

Lowbies to 10-30

Mids to 30-60

New Noobs bracket 60-75

End game lvl 75 (requiring a skill metric and gear to enter)

People would stay in the noobs bracket until they reach Valor 60 (or some other skill metric). This metric would only be accumulated by winning. You would not get it from losing. This would encourage people who want to play end game, to actually try and win.

Option 2 :

The other option, which I think is better, is remove lowbies and Mids and just have 2 brackets and have Bolster boost everyone’s gear and abilities in the first bracket.

Casual Lvl 10-75 - Everyone would have access to the abilities/utilities of lvl 75 (Gw2 and other games do this)

End game Lvl 75 - to be able to enter this bracket, you must have “x” amount of wins from the casual bracket and be geared because there would be a gear gate due to no gear Bolster. .

This last bracket is where you have your mat rewards for winning only etc. NOT in ranked. End game pvpers would know how to pvp and how to win because otherwise they wouldn’t get into end game and they would want to win to get their rewards.

At first end game bracket would have slow pops as people got better and changed how they play. But a core group would progress fast and the numbers would grow due to the good rewards only being in the end game bracket.

This would also allow people a way to lvl up again in pvp because lowbies and Mids is pretty much a dead end for lvling now.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The raging will be many times worse if the ranked divas are mixed with the rest and harm their precious rating.

Ask me, ranked is the one that should be removed. It's just cheating/exploit grounds.

What needs to be seperate is arena and warzone queues cause they are completely different gameplay styles.

But, before any of that, the damage scaling is a problem that somehow i doubt the devs will fix. People get blown up way too easily in this game. Damage needs toning down. Some bigger pvp damage reduction and healing reduction with bolster or something.

Edited by Nemmar

The raging will be many times worse if the ranked divas are mixed with the rest and harm their precious rating.

Ask me, ranked is the one that should be removed. It's just cheating/exploit grounds.

What needs to be seperate is arena and warzone queues cause they are completely different gameplay styles.

Oh dear, the ranked overlords will be coming for you soon...

Don't you know? Unless you queue 4s you're completely irrelevant and your opinion on anything is worthless!

As a mostly solo-queuer, I can attest that there are plenty of regstar divas out there. Elitists-with-Attitude exist in every corner of SWTOR. Don't fool yourself.

Solo ranked is pretty ok right now, at least as far as rage nerds are concerned.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Turn 8v8s into ranked 8v8s and it might just make more people care about objectives.

Unranked has gotten extremely boring as nobody bothers with objectives anymore.

you're on SF aren't you? it's particularly bad when the best players in the WZ, usually in 2-4m grps, do nothing but farm kills. it's good in huttball and it's usually good in ahg (both at mid), but it's horrible in general because they NEVER come to node calls and when they do go to nodes, it's usually in a pack and then leave it unguarded after clearing it.

patently false. coordinated CC was the only way to cap denova. it was also one of the only WZs that wasn't completely broken at the ranked level of gameplay.

CW was trash. whoever got to the "home node" first won.

VStar nobody could get through the first door. this turned the game into TDM as a way to determine the victor in what was a ridiculously boring draw.

the reason for all of this is that even a clearly better (dpsing) team couldn't come close to clearing a node long enough to plant a bomb or turn a node. you needed to catch the other team by surprise by pulling the goalie or sneaking away or with coordinated CC.

huttball, meanwhile, was the best BEST place for a weak team to beat a strong team. all you needed was a couple good players and a fortuitous team comp. the other team could have much better dps but the wrong comp. it was the biggest thing in the world when our pug grp beat LD50 in a hb on a team with maybe two players who were the caliber of their 8.

patently false. coordinated CC was the only way to cap denova. it was also one of the only WZs that wasn't completely broken at the ranked level of gameplay.

CW was trash. whoever got to the "home node" first won.

VStar nobody could get through the first door. this turned the game into TDM as a way to determine the victor in what was a ridiculously boring draw.

the reason for all of this is that even a clearly better (dpsing) team couldn't come close to clearing a node long enough to plant a bomb or turn a node. you needed to catch the other team by surprise by pulling the goalie or sneaking away or with coordinated CC.

huttball, meanwhile, was the best BEST place for a weak team to beat a strong team. all you needed was a couple good players and a fortuitous team comp. the other team could have much better dps but the wrong comp. it was the biggest thing in the world when our pug grp beat LD50 in a hb on a team with maybe two players who were the caliber of their 8.

Right. That what "objective" means - dps should not win always. Sometimes it is better just wipe urself ASAP and do things unexpectedly having all cds up. For example, stealther has the choise - stealth out and save urself, or die and return with stealthout ready = +1 long control.

Edited by alexzk

you're on SF aren't you? it's particularly bad when the best players in the WZ, usually in 2-4m grps, do nothing but farm kills. it's good in huttball and it's usually good in ahg (both at mid), but it's horrible in general because they NEVER come to node calls and when they do go to nodes, it's usually in a pack and then leave it unguarded after clearing it.

Yep, agreed.

I started a thread with some ideas on how Bioware could use 6.0 to reorganise PvP in this game and maybe fix this problem.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=963508

The main reason for this is that competitive pvp in this game does not revolve around objectives. It revolves around outplaying another group of pvpers in an arena. Objectives were only in ranked during the time of 8v8 group ranked; but that time has passed.

For someone who does alot of team ranked, such as myself or other members of my team, we do regs when we have no one to play in team ranked. Believe me, I have very little interest in doing regs or anything like that. We're pretty much forced to play it because it's the only form of pvp that we can queue with friends outside of team ranked.

Just like any other player that seeks to improve themselves, me and my friends practice our skills that we use in group ranked. This is why in regs, we don't sit on a node for 15 minutes guarding it. We try to seek out enemies and fight them, to practice skills that we need in arenas. This is why you can often see players with ranked flairs or well known group ranked guilds completely ignoring objectives, and preferring to fight enemy players. Practicing objectives gives no advantage outside regs, and we don't queue for pvp to twiddle our thumbs whilst watching a node. We queue to actually fight players.

I'm sure I'm about to be bashed by everyone for saying this. But objectives have not been relevant outside of regs for a very long time, and very few of the experienced and competent players that I play against and with even bother with them anymore.

Edited by SlimeyDoom

For someone who does alot of team ranked, such as myself or other members of my team, we do regs when we have no one to play in team ranked. Believe me, I have very little interest in doing regs or anything like that. We're pretty much forced to play it because it's the only form of pvp that we can queue with friends outside of team ranked.

You are not forced to do anything. By way of analogy, if I want to play chess, and the only thing going on is a big checkers tournament, it's not in any way OK for me to sign up for the checkers games and then start playing chess just because "well this is the only place where the boards are". I just don't get to play chess.

Also, with the "pvp stronghold" (ha! I know, right?) you can arrange PvP matches with friends all you want, and do "arena style" practice all day long. All without going into regs and then not playing the game. (Er, right? I don't actually have one of those strongholds.)

That said... I actually kinda agree with you. I mean, I at least understand the frustration. I commented in some previous, long ago thread the same basic idea that "it sucks that there's no place to practice just ranked play". My idea, not necessarily a good one, was that they should have a queue for "practice ranked". It should pop only arenas, and it should be the place to earn gear. We should not be playing ranked play to earn the gear that is mostly just needed to be on equal footing in ranked.

Also, of course, there seems to be more people on your side of the "how to play regs" division these days than there is on mine. So maybe by now it has become a chess game, even though it was originally checkers. :(

I only equated ranked to chess, instead of checkers, so as not to offend the ranked crowed by implying that their game was the simpler of the two. :p

The issue with the rishi stronghold is that you can’t really get cxp or unassembled components from it. You’re right though, if there was a practice arena queue I would not touch regs lol

The Rishi strong hold is good for training. But you are correct, it would be used more often if there was some way to obtain some rewards.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 1 month later...