Dark Sided Sith Warrior

Strive-US

I was fully planning to make a Dark Sided Sith Warrior, but I keep seeing posts from people saying to go Light Side. So what are the merits of a Light Sided Sith Warrior?

I mean, why make a Sith Warrior unless you plan to slaughter people mercilessly? And I do want to corrupt this Jaesa person, even if I don't end up romancing her, because off the bat having a goody-two-shoes Jedi among a bunch of space villains seems like a bad fit (coming off Ashara from Sith Inquisitor).

We don't mean go full on, 100% light side. A Light Side Sith Warrior is more an honorable warrior, something like a Samurai. Is his government oppressive? Manipulative? Destructive? Sure. But one of his main concerns is holding a code of honor. He wants to fight strong foes to prove his might and the might of his Empire. And when he's soundly beaten them, he knows he is the better, and that their broken pride would make for far more proof of his might than a simple corpse.

They owe him their lives. And he accepts that.

Of course, if you want to go full on murderer, force choking all who displease you, by all means, do it. In fact, I'd highly recommend doing that for one character, and light sided for the other. They're almost different stories within the same class.

I was fully planning to make a Dark Sided Sith Warrior, but I keep seeing posts from people saying to go Light Side. So what are the merits of a Light Sided Sith Warrior?

I mean, why make a Sith Warrior unless you plan to slaughter people mercilessly? And I do want to corrupt this Jaesa person, even if I don't end up romancing her, because off the bat having a goody-two-shoes Jedi among a bunch of space villains seems like a bad fit (coming off Ashara from Sith Inquisitor).

There is no game mechanic reason to be either side, so its purely personal preference. I prefer stereotype darkside myself, and possibility to play as such is the reason I came to this game in the first place. It is actually quite rare in computer/video games to be able to play an evil character. We Bioware customers have just been spoiled in this sense.

We don't mean go full on, 100% light side. A Light Side Sith Warrior is more an honorable warrior, something like a Samurai.

Something like this. Light Side for a Sith Warrior isn't hugging bunnies and saving children, it's having enough control of your emotions that you don't kill everything just because you can. Dark Side choices are often insanely destructive while Light Side is thinking about what's good for the Empire. Kill a man or make him work for you? Leave a trail of broken bodies or let some escape to spread the story? Sacrifice your soldiers for your own glory, demoralizing the army, or motivate the men by going in with them, leading from the front?

You can think beyond "me smash", to put it in simple words.

I mean, why make a Sith Warrior unless you plan to slaughter people mercilessly?

Beyond a certain point, reflexive Dark choices get downright stupid and counterproductive. The Sith Warrior is a pretty good talker who is supposed to be well-educated; he should use his brain.

There are also two strains of Dark choices that don't really fit with the SW at all. Mild spoilers including a reference to the Inquisitor story, see tag:

-- Cowardly/craven behavior. The warrior is a blue-blooded Sith with a family legacy to live up to. Since they have an adult child and we never hear of anything bad happening to them (unlike Inquisitor family), these people were/are formidable. Cowards and REMFs are promptly executed in this tradition as weak.

Warrior dialogue is also full of sarcastic back-talk regarding being told by allegedly stronger Sith to kill people for them.

-- Betrayal. Suffice to say the Warrior is really mad when he gets betrayed. Most of his companions hate betrayal as well.

Edited by Canareth

Do what I do--go dark side, but not chaotic stupid kick puppies and punch old ladies because shut up dark side. I played the honorable warrior, plenty of pragmatic light side choices, plenty of pragmatic dark side choices, and plenty of emotional knee-jerk reaction choices. My 2 warriors were around Dark 3 at the end of act 3 and had tons of affection with Vette and Quinn.

Play a believable, realistic character appropriate to the setting. Full on light side and dark side are cartoonishly absurd stories, do something in between instead. :)

Play a guy who loses control of his feelings, who knee-jerk-reacts in fits of rage, who spares that Jedi in the caves because there was some unexplained camaraderie going on, just don't take it to laughable extremes (unless laughable comical extremes are what you want).

If you can spare character slots for pure dark side pubs and pure light side imps just to see the stories while the 12x XP thing is going on, I highly recommend it. Pure complete light/dark side because shut up isn't a very compelling story, but it's still A LOT OF FUN and it's worth seeing both sides of the story. It's something I plan on doing since I have a lot of free time before the XP event ends. For instance, I've seen the light side and neutral consular storylines, time for a "why haven't they fired me yet lol" dark side run!

Edited by eldefail

Let me tell you my opinion. Its most fun playing the cutscenes in a way that surprises yourself, doing both lightside and darkside in XYZ situation. Sometimes its fun to force choke the leader of the enemy forces that have been giving you trouble for the last 3 hours, rather than [lightside] take them in to custody.

Another time it may be more fun to subdue a jedi in 1v1 combat and then [lightside] send them to your master to get force lightninged and possibly turn that jedi in to a sith - rather than [darkside] killing the jedi.

It really makes your character more interesting to play when you spontaneously act in your movie, rather than 'Im going the lightside route 90+% of the time'.

[Note] In using this method, you should definitely consider taking up the crew skill [Diplomacy] so that you can still climb either lightside or darkside (relic pre-requisite).

P.S. the 100% dark side sith warrior is a bit of a meat head bully. It can get cheezy.

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

Going lightside is funny because you end up making four or five Jedi fall to the dark side just by standing there and calmly talking to them with words of peace and there being no need for violence. This breaks their brains so hard they go berserk.

going full in dark side or lightside both is silly. chose what works for your character.

one thing worth noting, if you want to romance Jaessa you need her to be dark side

I wish the game had more emergent dialog or events that happened only if character was sufficiently darkside/neutral/lightside. As it stands, there are no repercussions (apart from title and facial dark side corruption that you can disable (and I think it should be whole body btw)) for it. Only dark/light choices exist really.

I wish Bioware would add some more repercussions to these choices.

Edited by Karkais

Do whatever you feel like you want. Neither one is better. Both Lightside and darkside have choices that aren't the smartest.

I've done the SW story with a light-leaning char and a dark-leaning char, and honestly I had the most fun with the dark-leaning one. With her I followed a code that went like this:

Can enemy be corrupted to the dark side?

-If yes, spare them.

-If no, kill them.

I got to turn so many Jedi and it was gloriously fun. My favorite moments were turning Jaesa dark and corrupting Master Timmns.

Well Timmns and Jaesa aren't really the same thing. Corrupting Jaesa makes a loyal and zealous Sith, ruthless in her devotion to the dark side and pursuit of crushing the Jedi and Republic. Getting Timmns to kill Eckage makes basically somewhat sad Jedi. Edited by OldVengeance

A LS SW is a bit like Darth Marr the way I see it. It's not a stupid evil that massacres literally anything standing in it's way but makes you a warrior for the Empire - you help soldiers, destroy it's enemies, builds some degree of respect from the men on the battlefield.

I've always seen my SW like this, considering she already has two soldiers on board it makes a good start to some serious military powerbase :p

Either that or I'm RPing too much :D

A LS SW is a bit like Darth Marr the way I see it. It's not a stupid evil that massacres literally anything standing in it's way but makes you a warrior for the Empire - you help soldiers, destroy it's enemies, builds some degree of respect from the men on the battlefield.

I've always seen my SW like this, considering she already has two soldiers on board it makes a good start to some serious military powerbase :p

Either that or I'm RPing too much :D

Darth Marr is a dark shade of grey. He has no issues with brutally torturing someone or resorting to outright massacres when he deems it appropriate. He also has no qualms about sacrificing entire fleets of men to gain a tactical advantage. A pure LS Warrior is far more goody-two-shoes than Marr.

So far my favorite Sith Warrior playthrough was about 70% DS, with LS choices that made sense, like recruiting Rathari, and standing with Maro Vizhen instead taking bribes from a filthy Hutt and his scummy friends. :D

And no violence for the sake of violence, especially not against his own people. Destroying valuable assets because they failed once is just an insane waste of resources (especially if they've got an impressive record of successes prior to their one failure).

On the other hand he did some serious damage to Makeb's population to keep the Empire's true goals on Makeb a secret, and he's butchered defenseless enemy soldiers in their medbay (no point in letting them heal up and then come back to fight against the Empire all over again :p).

Edited by Callaron

I finished the class story saving a mess ton of Republic soldiers, sparing Imperials who failed their jobs, turned Jeasa, unified with my lightside spirit, had a whole bunch of affection with my crew, killed every Jedi I came across and coerced many allies while still ending up Darkside 3. Though after Makeb, SoR, and Ziost she's now Lightside 3. Hey, people have a change of heart as they get older.

Darth Marr is a dark shade of grey. He has no issues with brutally torturing someone or resorting to outright massacres when he deems it appropriate. He also has no qualms about sacrificing entire fleets of men to gain a tactical advantage. A pure LS Warrior is far more goody-two-shoes than Marr.

So far my favorite Sith Warrior playthrough was about 70% DS, with LS choices that made sense, like recruiting Rathari, and standing with Maro Vizhen instead taking bribes from a filthy Hutt and his scummy friends. :D

And no violence for the sake of violence, especially not against his own people. Destroying valuable assets because they failed once is just an insane waste of resources (especially if they've got an impressive record of successes prior to their one failure).

On the other hand he did some serious damage to Makeb's population to keep the Empire's true goals on Makeb a secret, and he's butchered defenseless enemy soldiers in their medbay (no point in letting them heal up and then come back to fight against the Empire all over again :p).

Marr is "Light" in the sense of the Light choices that are Lawful Evil. He says as much to a Light Sith Inquisitor, who he "Darths" as Darth Imperius for devotion to the greater Empire. Because Darth Imperius doesn't destroy his own side's ships because of not liking someone who is on them, for one example.

Marr has zero use for the Light choices that are compassionate options like letting traitors live, not doing what it takes because it's mean, or sparing Sith who are failing tests of strength versus other Sith (as much as he hates the infighting). He's a thorough Dark Side devotee. Marr is disappointed that Kallig and Thanaton are fighting but he lets the result stand. At least at the time; Makeb Marr would probably have broken up that idiocy.

There are some actual Light Sith who reject aspects of the Sith code and they're nothing like Marr.

Edited by Canareth

Marr is "Light" in the sense of the Light choices that are Lawful Evil. He says as much to a Light Sith Inquisitor, who he "Darths" as Darth Imperius for devotion to the greater Empire. Because Darth Imperius doesn't destroy his own side's ships because of not liking someone who is on them, for one example.

Marr has zero use for the Light choices that are compassionate options like letting traitors live, not doing what it takes because it's mean, or sparing Sith who are failing tests of strength versus other Sith (as much as he hates the infighting). He's a thorough Dark Side devotee. Marr is disappointed that Kallig and Thanaton are fighting but he lets the result stand. At least at the time; Makeb Marr would probably have broken up that idiocy.

There are some actual Light Sith who reject aspects of the Sith code and they're nothing like Marr.

Yep, Marr's the embodiment of Lawful Evil. One of the reasons I like him so much, I've always leaned strongly towards LE for my villains. (although NE, the ruthless opportunist has always been a close second)

After all this talk about Darth Marr, I have to ask, what do people think of Lana Baniko? She always seems to calm and polite that I have a hard time believing she's really DS.

Calm and collected doesn't mean she can't be DS. Hannibal Lecter was a very calm and collected guy most of the time too. :p

There are some points where her DS really shows.

Some examples:

-With the infinite army cyborgs she wants to steal the tech behind Theron's back so that the Empire can make their own cybernetic slave soldiers.

-And at the end of Ziost, she has zero issues with dissecting the Jedi's brain to learn more about the Emperor.

-And of course there was the time where she let Theron get captured, knowing he'd be tortured, for the tactical advantage it would give her (or rather "us" in this case).

-When you ask her to defect to the Republic on Ziost, she tells you know, because she doesn't care for democracy.

She's not a raving lunatic like some Sith, but she's definitely not LS either. Probably softer than Darth Marr, since she appears to feel bad about some of it at least (provided that's genuine, and not an act), but she still falls in the DS of the spectrum.

All I can recommend is do what feels right for your character. Come up with a backstory as to why the character makes the choices they do.

My main SW, who's at dark V, hasn't ALWAYs made DS choices - it has depended on the situation - she is Zabrak, and was fiercely loyal to whoever was her superior. Also she has made some choices based on her own background - sparing enemies if they were Zabrak- even though sparing them was a lightside choice. However, she didn't spare soldiers who might have come back to fight against her and her team. She also chose to take the collar off Vette at the beginning of the story, even though that too was a LS decision. So, not a kick-puppies just because villain. But a reasonable one. Villians don't see themselves as evil, they see their actions as choices they are forced to make for whatever their main purpose happens to be.

All I can recommend is do what feels right for your character. Come up with a backstory as to why the character makes the choices they do.

My main SW, who's at dark V, hasn't ALWAYs made DS choices ... Villians don't see themselves as evil, they see their actions as choices they are forced to make for whatever their main purpose happens to be.

Totally this. I did much the same with my first SW, he hovered around Dark II for a while before I eventually decided that the corrupting influence of the Dark Side would ensnare him once

he met the Emperor's Voice on Voss (implacable will and all that) and obviously as soon as he got the opportunity to take revenge on Baras he did so

which all ended up with him at Dark V (also because I looooove the DS corruption look :D ).