Bioware Devs: Guild Functions need improvement

OrionSol

Greetings Bioware

I bring you greetings from one your largest guild communities. THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds is a group of 6 Class based - RP guilds, boasting over 4000 registered members. We run 3 Republic Guilds (plus alt guilds), and 3 Imperial guilds (plus alts guilds) on Begeren Colony server.

As this Community's Leader, I wanted to bring our thoughts and feedback to you. We have had many debates and discussions about guild functionality and abilities and here are the suggestions.

1. Inter/intra guild communication.

A. Guild Email. This NEEDS to be implemented for guild communities. In game ability to email the entire guild community would help with large scale organization and communication, especially for guilds with active populations at server cap.

B. Guild Alliances: We would like the ability to form an "Alliance" with a guild, and in effect MERGE their guild chats. Now, we understand the /cjoin method, but... frankly... it sucks. A more functional and easier to use option would be to allow guilds to "ally" with one another and merge their guild-chats as an option.

2. Guild War = Certainly, we can go to open world PVP zones, or flag /pvp all the time, but it would be nice if we could get an option to guild war, especially both inter and intra-faction

Sub-note, it would be nice to have guild war RANKING systems as well.

3. Guild Projects/Halls = Now, while I fully am pro-player housing, I understand Bioware is not really into it. At least not yet. However, I would like to ask that we guilds have a private area to do ceremonies, have tournaments, meet and greets and social events without being harassed by the inevitable 13 year old troll who is starving for attention from his mommy but can only get it in the form of harassment reports in game. (IMPLEMENTED - THANK YOU)

If we need to, we could buy &/or craft a structure, or whatever giving us a place to call home.

4. Display Ranks. - We would like the option to have guild ranks displayed as a title of sorts. Now, while we acknowledge that many guilds would abuse this by naming granting titles to people like "YourMomsPimp" and the like, we would suggest making guild titles only visible to .... guild members.

5. Raise the cap on membership. We have THE JEDl ORER guild at server cap - with all members having logged in within the last 30 days or so. We need room for more members. Our current work around is having "alt guilds" but those lack the benefits of the main guild. Conquest ships, points etc.

Thank you in advance for whatever consideration you give these suggestions.

Or-ion Sol

Community Founder

THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds

http://www.jediswtor.com

Edited by OrionSol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings! I would like to echo each and every one of Or-ion's requests. He is the Founder of our Community of 5 Guilds and I am the current GM of THE JEDl ORDER.

My personal priorities are:

> Increasing the maximum number of Guild members. We CONSTANTLY have to trim members that haven't played in only a short time so that we can continue to recruit and bring in new blood. Not everyone should have to be a "hard core" player.

> A real and seamless Combined Guild Chat with the other Guilds in our "Community" of 5 Guilds. (Or, at least the ones in the same faction!)

> If not Player Housing.... at LEAST a Guild Headquarters! I could be "instanced" taking up NO actual real estate! It could even be "in orbit" around a given Planet. (Imagine the great views from large, panoramic view ports!) How about letting us DECORATE them?? (We'd even be willing to fork out Cartel Coins for the privilege!! $$$'S to BIOWARE!! :D)

> I have been collecting Lightsabers since game start in the hopes that someday I could display them somewhere on the interior of my ship. :rolleyes:

> Chat Bubbles!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! :cool:

> One last thing.... I'd REALLY like to be able to sit down somewhere other than the chairs on the bridge of my ship. I'm old. My poor feet and back are killing me! :mad: (So you've already shown us you can do it.....) So why not extend the same ability to the couches, chairs and bar stools located in Cantinas and other locations with furniture throughout the Galaxy!

Edited by CAMSTORM
typo

Greetings! I would like to echo each and every one of Or-ion's requests. He is the Founder of our Community of 5 Guilds and I am the current GM of THE JEDl ORDER.

My personal priorities are:

> Increasing the maximum number of Guild members. We CONSTANTLY have to trim members that haven't played in only a short time so that we can continue to recruit and bring in new blood. Not everyone should have to be a "hard core" player.

> A real and seamless Combined Guild Chat with the other Guilds in our "Community" of 5 Guilds. (Or, at least the ones in the same faction!)

> If not Player Housing.... at LEAST a Guild Headquarters! I could be "instanced" taking up NO actual real estate! It could even be "in orbit" around a given Planet. (Imagine the great views from large, panoramic view ports!) How about letting us DECORATE them?? (We'd even be willing to fork out Cartel Coins for the privilege!! $$$'S to BIOWARE!! :D)

> I have been collecting Lightsabers since game start in the hopes that someday I could display them somewhere on the interior of my ship. :rolleyes:

> Chat Bubbles!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! :cool:

> One last thing.... I'd REALLY like to be able to sit down somewhere other than the chairs on the bridge of my ship. I'm old. My poor feet and back are killing me! :mad: (So you've already shown us you can do it.....) So why not extend the same ability to the couches, chairs and bar stools located in Cantinas and other locations with furniture throughout the Galaxy!

Chat Bubbles and chairs... oh my

I fully* agree with what Orion is saying. This list of ideas can greatly enhance the game experience for everyone.

*With the small exception of the Guild War idea. Hey, we can't agree on everything, right? lol :D

- Jeggo

Edited by Calhoun

I agree. Having run one of the Sister guilds, we are very nearing cap. Some players can be booted, and I'm willing to kick those under 50 that have not played in the time our guild allots. But still, we are an active guild with a very active login rate. :) Also, I like the idea of a guild instance, guild hall, guild ship, or guild space station...anything, please! Also, it would be cool if you expanded the space combat to include guild members, if not in fleet formation, at least in different roles and functions on the ship.

As the Current Leader of our counterpoint guild THE SlTH ORDER I can't begin to stress the importance of all the points listed by Or-ion. Please Bioware we are one community however we know there are many more guild communities in this game that would not only benefit from these features but would agree that these implementations are much needed.

This is one topic, that I think BW has dropped the ball. From the beginning, Guild functions have been severely limited. I like your ideas, I've suggested a lot of them myself. And I think they are working on them, but probably took a back seat to other stuff. I do expect them to revisit Guilds by this year though.

As for a place to meet, there was a great recommendation a long time ago at the Guild Summit. Basically they asked if the areas that are cut off by class stories, could be reused as open areas. If that happens, it would be perfect for just the thing you're asking for, and they can reuse assets in game rather than creating everything from scratch.

Can you create a private channel for everyone to join? No idea if this exists, but it is how we dealt with it in another game.

2. Guild War

So you would always seem PvP flagged against only members of the rival guild? That could work and would encourage world PvP in a more consentual manner.

3. Guild Projects/Halls

An instanced area on the fleet maybe.

4. Display Ranks

Agreed, though as you said only to guild members.

5. Raise the cap on membership

Not sure about this one, is every member of your guild active? Or is it full of alts? If it is alts I would prefer to cap the only count accounts rather than characters. But you can't really have 1500 different people all active can you?

I really liked the guild levels from WoW, and they were supposed to introduce guild talents that you could spend in, but for some reason they took it out.

Guild levels just led to people not wanting to join new guilds and led to people selling guilds for in game cash. I found the whole guild system in WoW souless because of this with the majority of guilds led by someone who bought it rather than who earned it. Everyone joined a level 25 guild for the bonus' and then looked for a new guild at cap.

The guild leadership forums were full of people who couldn't lead a dog on a walk nevermind a guild.

A guild should be a collection of likeminded people getting together to improve their play experience, not a bunch of people who get together because there is a reward for doing so.

As a member of the JEDI ORDER of guilds, I agree completely with all the suggestions here. Particularly the instanced Guild Room / Housing / Ship / etc. I'd go further to suggest adding a Guild Calendar in game as well - but I don't want to get too far afield.

As a member of the JEDI ORDER of guilds, I agree completely with all the suggestions here. Particularly the instanced Guild Room / Housing / Ship / etc. I'd go further to suggest adding a Guild Calendar in game as well - but I don't want to get too far afield.

would be nice to have an in game calender of events for our guild, but we have the website.

Guild levels just led to people not wanting to join new guilds and led to people selling guilds for in game cash. I found the whole guild system in WoW souless because of this with the majority of guilds led by someone who bought it rather than who earned it. Everyone joined a level 25 guild for the bonus' and then looked for a new guild at cap.

The guild leadership forums were full of people who couldn't lead a dog on a walk nevermind a guild.

A guild should be a collection of likeminded people getting together to improve their play experience, not a bunch of people who get together because there is a reward for doing so.

ya, Im not for a system like that either, I was thinking along the lines more like bragging rights.

The ability to link a Cross faction guild together via chat

That would be great for all the guilds with double branches

Sadly for Bioware, they came out twice with two different people made a big fuss about guilds, then nothing was heard again.

At first everyone defended them with, its not needed, then it wasm they are doing other things first, then it was its coming soon, then nothing

The ability to link a Cross faction guild together via chat

That would be great for all the guilds with double branches

Sadly for Bioware, they came out twice with two different people made a big fuss about guilds, then nothing was heard again.

At first everyone defended them with, its not needed, then it wasm they are doing other things first, then it was its coming soon, then nothing

not so sure about cross faction chat... every time I log into my Sith, it makes me want to log and go back to my republic character... the general chat is totally different

Greetings Bioware

A. Guild Email. This NEEDS to be implemented for large guild communities. In game ability to email the entire guild community would help with large scale organization and communication, especially for guilds with active populations at server cap.

B. Guild Alliances: We would like the ability to form an "Alliance" with a guild, and in effect MERGE their guild chats. Now, we understand the /cjoin method, but... frankly... it sucks. A more functional and easier to use option would be to allow guilds to "ally" with one another and merge their guild-chats as an option.

Indeed - at LEAST guild-mails. I read awhile back a DevTracker note on this taking a lot of in-game memory. Would it *really*? Why is that? Why was Star Wars: Galaxies able to do this seemingly without effort or memory issues? And what mechanic exactly would rob game-performance by allowing guild-mails?

Alliances was a neat idea pre-launch for importing guilds to the same launch-servers, and gave hope to in-game alliances. This would really help lower-membership guilds find external help, and decrease the number of players who quit playing just because their own guild goes down/collapses.

2. Guild War = Certainly, we can go to open world PVP zones, or flag /pvp all the time, but it would be nice if we could get an option to guild war, especially both inter and intra-faction

Meh. Yours truly thinks this would likely only result in levelling players fighting other levelling players in shared-zones.

3. Guild Projects/Halls = Now, while I fully am pro-player housing, I understand Bioware is not really into it. At least not yet. However, I would like to ask that we guilds have a private area to do ceremonies, have tournaments, meet and greets and social events without being harassed by the inevitable 13 year old troll who is starving for attention from his mommy but can only get it in the form of harassment reports in game.

If we need to, we could buy &/or craft a structure, or whatever giving us a place to call home.

All the devs really need to do is to allow world-sharding by guild-request. Get 20+ guildies on the same planet, a guild officer requests a world-shard, and if enough guildies planetside click-in for it, a separate shard forms that the opt-in's are taken to. Anyone else needs to specifically map-click in to get to the shard; no one is placed there automatically. Would certainly reduce the trolling we've experienced multiple separate times during our events.

4. Display Ranks. - We would like the option to have guild ranks displayed as a title of sorts. Now, while we acknowledge that many guilds would abuse this by naming granting titles to people like "YourMomsPimp" and the like, we would suggest making guild titles only visible to .... guild members.

Feasable. Purely aestheic, might mean a slight increase of memory-usage, but would be nice to have available.

5. Raise the cap on membership. We have THE JEDl ORER guild at server cap - with all members having logged in within the last 30 days or so. We need room for more members.

Gungan GODS, yes! *Why* is the limit 500 if we don't have an in-game voice system? Everyone and their grandmother uses TeamSpeak, Mumble, or Ventrilo as a 3rd-party voice system, and the devs' stance is that this is what they want. The traditional (meaning across most MMO's) guild-cap is 500 for purposes of sizing in-game voice servers though, isn't it? Why else would you limit guilds to this size of membership? It's the reason only the Jedi alt I'm presently levelling is in the guild; any other jedi alts of mine are purposefully kept out of the guild to save member-space.

The guild mail system needs to be very much installed, it is a complete headache organizing guild events, without having a guild wide mail. Now swg was several years old, and they had it, for a newer game like swtor this should be a cake walk request to get done. As far as the fears, that I have read on these forums, about mail spamming. I already get mail spammed by people trying to sell me in game credits for RL money. For your information I put said people on my ignore list and report them. So its not like this would cause any new problems.

Greetings Bioware

I bring you greetings from one your largest guild communities. THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds is a group of 5 RP guilds, boasting over 1,500 members. We run 2 Republic Guilds, and 3 Imperial guilds on Begeren Colony server.

As this Community's Leader, I wanted to bring our thoughts and feedback to you. We have had many debates and discussions about guild functionality and abilities and here are the suggestions.

A. Guild Email. This NEEDS to be implemented for large guild communities. In game ability to email the entire guild community would help with large scale organization and communication, especially for guilds with active populations at server cap.

3. Guild Projects/Halls = Now, while I fully am pro-player housing, I understand Bioware is not really into it. At least not yet. However, I would like to ask that we guilds have a private area to do ceremonies, have tournaments, meet and greets and social events without being harassed by the inevitable 13 year old troll who is starving for attention from his mommy but can only get it in the form of harassment reports in game.

5. Raise the cap on membership. We have THE JEDl ORER guild at server cap - with all members having logged in within the last 30 days or so. We need room for more members.

Thank you in advance for whatever consideration you give these suggestions.

Or-ion Sol

Community Founder

THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds

http://www.jediswtor.com

Well written and well thought out post. I concur.

not so sure about cross faction chat... every time I log into my Sith, it makes me want to log and go back to my republic character... the general chat is totally different

I mean for guilds

Cross link your republic and Sith branch to share a common guild chat

Twice Bioware have hired people to look after guilds, twice they made a big fuss in a post, and twice they have vanished with out trace.