Outfit slots - White and Green quality items no longer able to be dyed.

Grimmusings

Whilst attempting to create a new outfit using some green and white items, I suddenly noticed that despite placing them in the outfit slot chest pieces, they said I was no longer able to dye them. I know for a fact that I was previously able to dye white and green quality items with dye modules when used in an outfit slot, and I went to check.

https://i.imgur.com/WhpgZEN.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/aGmSkSl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/i6lUMLf.jpg?1

As you can see - Three different oufits, with both white and green quality items used for the chest piece. All three have a successfully placed dye module, yet now report that they cannot be dyed.

Please fix this bug as it is frustrating to be denied the ability to create simple looking outfits and light looking armour with the colours I'd like.

It was previously stated, if I remember correctly, that being able to dye white and green items was intentional when used with the outfit designer and slots?

I just went and double checked this and it looks like they changed how outfit slots work. You could previously stamp dyes on white/green quality items that didn't have a dye slot:

https://i.imgur.com/chS3tst.png

The tradeoff is that you would lose the dye completely in the process; you couldn't use it on more than one outfit. This is how outfit slots have functioned since they were introduced.

Was this change intentional? Is this a bug? More info about this would be nice to have.

This has been an issue for a few updates now and it REALLY annoys me.

I prefer to keep to the original 1.0 aesthetic of the game, but that in turn means a lot of outfits can no longer be dyed this way because the items no longer have a dye slot. It really should be made available again.

• 4 weeks later...
They changed it about a year ago. We complained about it and asked for clarification then and we were totally ignored. I don't think anyone has pm'd Keith or Eric though. It baffles me why they would remove functionality at a time when player satisfaction is already so low.

• 2 months later...

@Keith , @Eric

Would it be possible to get an official statement on this removed functionality? Is it a bug? Is it a "feature"?

Not being able to dye green and white items is really a shame, since we used to be able to do so. Is there anyway we could get this ability back? Thank you for considering this issue.

• 2 months later...
Got a problem with this as well. This isn't intentional, is it?

In the sense of it being "by intent, to bother us" or something like that, probably not. It's probably an incidental side-effect of another change that *was* intentional.

The reason it's still there is the realities of bug fix priorities:

* It doesn't crash the game client.

* It doesn't crash the game servers.

* It doesn't cause (or resolve) loss of game performance (frame rates, server load, etc.).

* It doesn't cause (or resolve) weird-disconnect issues for players.

* It doesn't affect "combat" gameplay at all.

* It only affects the Fashion Wars: The Old Catwalk and RP subgames.

All of those things mean that the importance of fixing it is low (compared to server or client crashes, disconnects, broken stories, etc.), and since the *cost* is unknown (to us, at least), it's hard to assign it any other priority but "low", except possibly "very low".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping this up because it is still a present and frustrating bug. I get that it isn't game breaking or anything like that, but just some kind of "Yeah, it isn't meant to be like that" would be nice because when Outfit Designer came out - It was allowed. We could dye any colour of gear, white to purple, without issue.

And then suddenly we couldn't?

Again, here's proof that I have white and green tier items stamped with dyes.

http://puu.sh/DKTW0/f9ef30250b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aGmSkSl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/i6lUMLf.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/WhpgZEN.jpg?1

The Dulfy article talking about the Outfit designer even mentions it.

What gear can you use in the outfit designer?

Any armor can be used, this includes adaptive/light/medium/heavy. Previously there was a restriction that prevented light armor users from using medium/heavy armor but that restriction was removed.

Rarity wise, you can use any white/green/blue/orange/purple/legendary gear in the outfit designer. There are no restrictions there.

So please, Bioware. Just at least acknowledge that this feature has bugged somehow at the very least and you'll eventually do something about it.

Chiming in to confirm that this is still a problem.

And that it still hasn't been addressed by the devs in any way. We're not asking for new features; we're asking for a feature that previously existed to be fixed.

If it's not a bug, tell us that much. Please?

This comment made me think of their reaction to the Marr/Acina bug. Originally, it was possible to quit their respective chapters and take them with you, then with the release of Jedi Under Siege, it wasn't.

People complained about the bug that they weren't able to take them along, and ultimately, BioWare responded that in fact, JUS had *fixed* a bug that allowed us to take them with us. But they *also* said that they had discussed it among themselves, and they had decided that in fact, it had been a harmless bug, so they would work on a way to make it so that the buggy behaviour ("can take them with you") would be restored, but in a way that doesn't break the thing they wanted to fix.

But even that's not the first case of them unfixing a bug. It used to be that you could steer with the mouse while travelling with the map open, then they fixed the bug that the map allowed it. People complained that even if it was a bug, it was a *useful* bug, and not long after, they unfixed it. (That is, they restored, approximately, the buggy-but-useful behaviour.)

So yes, it's fair to ask them to unfix it if it was a now-fixed bug that we could put a dye module in those pieces in the Outfit Designer.

Clearly the (un)fix has to be prioritised among all the other work they are doing, as I hinted previously, but it would be a good idea for them to find the time to do it.

This was first reported in a thread in General on November 30, 2017.

It would seem that Bioware has added a new unnecessary restriction. Before the recent patch it was possible to dye white and green items by adding them to an outfit and subsequently dying the outfit. It allowed you to make cool combinations with simple outfits like this.

This is a completely unnecessary restriction, please fix it.

--------------------------

And then someone posted a proper bug report on December 10, 2017.

I only noticed this now, but since the last patch it is no longer possible to dye a piece of gear in the outfit designer that doesn't have a dye slot outright. This primarily affects premium (green) or less gear from the 1.0 cycle (also some older Prototype quality pieces). Pieces of gear that already had a dye installed via the outfit designer retain their dyed colors, but now the outfit designer just states "This item does not support dye modules".

I would very much like to see this fixed. I'm a big fan of the game's original gear aesthetic and primarily use these old sets for my characters.

Let's be generous and go with the second date. That means it has now been at least:

565 DAYS WITH NO BIOWARE

RESPONSE

I will be updating this thread periodically with a new count. I know I would buy more dyes if this was fixed, because I would have more things to use them on. I'm not the only one.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

This needs to be corrected ASAP.

"needs" is too strong. And no, it should not be fixed "ASAP", because there are lots of things that take priority over a purely cosmetic bugfix (or bugunfix, as the case may be).

To be sure, it would be nice for the change to be reversed, but no gameplay breaks because it hasn't been reversed.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reports! We are looking into what is going on here. I will let you know once I have more information.

-eric

That kind of hurts my feelings. I had pm'd you about this and was ignored. I think I included links to the threads too :(

"needs" is too strong. And no, it should not be fixed "ASAP", because there are lots of things that take priority over a purely cosmetic bugfix (or bugunfix, as the case may be).

To be sure, it would be nice for the change to be reversed, but no gameplay breaks because it hasn't been reversed.

Might not be a big thing for PvE/Pers, but those aren't the only players who play the game :)

Might not be a big thing for PvE/Pers, but those aren't the only players who play the game :)

Sure, except that I'd class myself as a PvE-er mostly (with occasional meanderings in warzones), and I think the cosmetic parts are important. But fixing broken gameplay is *more* important.

Sure, except that I'd class myself as a PvE-er mostly (with occasional meanderings in warzones), and I think the cosmetic parts are important. But fixing broken gameplay is *more* important.

Aye, to PvE/Pers, which is my point. There's a decent sized RP community on more than one server for whom stuff like this is far more important than gameplay. I know dozens of RPers who haven't even played through KotFE/KotET yet; they really don't care about the game as a game (if this was fixed at the same time as the next xpac released, I know so many people for whom it would be the most important line in the patch notes). And I say this as someone who only really dabbles in RP, and mostly cares about PvE.

Might not be a big issue on its own, sure, but when stuff goes unfixed for a long time that's important to parts of the community, it bumps up the importance.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reports! We are looking into what is going on here. I will let you know once I have more information.

-eric

Thank you for finally acknowledging this issue and for looking into the matter. If would be really nice to have this functionality back, but if it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed.

Either way, it really makes an impression when issues like this don't even get acknowledged for over a year.

And it really makes an impression when they do get acknowledged. So, thank you very much!