Does RP have to have custom characters?

Dlzdside

If say, a guild or community allows it, do you think it would be 'okay' to RP as existing characters in lore or do you think the guild/community should stick with custom made backstories, etc? Edited by Dlzdside

If the guild is okay with it then that is on them but I would keep in guild chat. I don't see the fun in RP as an established character though, but that is only my opinion. I enjoy coming up with my own scenario for my characters and that is how our guild does but if a guild is okay with it then that is their decision.

• 3 months later...

Most people I know would strongly prefer custom characters (OCs).

Here Is Why:

Roleplay (RP) is completely based on the roleplayer's creativity. The use of pre-existing characters goes against this and limits the roleplayer's creativity by giving them custom backstories, abilities, skills, etc.

I do actually agree with the prohibiting of using pre-existing characters although whether you are able to roleplay with only OCs or not is up to whoever you are roleplaying with. If the person you are roleplaying with is cool with whatever, do what you want. You live your life.

You would have to find people agreeing to that and that is going to be a problem because most would prefer custom characters due to the fact there is no lore or roleplay established for them. With established characters there is not much of imagination you can do as those characters already have their lore established and that makes it not so great for others but if you can find people to do it have fun.

If say, a guild or community allows it, do you think it would be 'okay' to RP as existing characters in lore or do you think the guild/community should stick with custom made backstories, etc?

Disclaimer: I do not RP. RP bores me several billion parsecs beyond tears. I don't go out of my way to bother groups of people RPing, but if they are RPing in a mission area, I don't go out of my way to avoid riding my speeder through their group. Hint: the Slippery Slopes Cantina on Nar Shaddaa is a mission area.

I think you've answered the first half of your question. If the people you're RPing with say that it's OK, then of course it's OK.

The responses of the other posters above seem to have addressed the second half of the question ("should" the RP crowd stick with "custom" backstories) better than I can.