Punishing the solo player

daisame

I am all for grouping, when it is with friends. But this game really punishes you if you are a solo player. The class quests a are a factor harder then the rest and it is often just to tough to solo them. I die a lot and I consider myself an above average gamer, having played a lot of MMOs and various other games.

It is just becoming more trouble than its worth, and I don't want to be forced to look for help every time I want to do a class quest.

I want to like this game. I always loved what Bioware made, but this is just frustrating. Maybe I will cool down and come back. The whole needing to do class quests and dailies to get gear, so you can have enough gear to do class quests and dailies is a catch 22 that really only be overcome by dieing a lot, or grouping up.

It just isn't fun.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you just going thru and doing nothing but the class quests because in my experiance 1 lvl 50 and 4 others above lvl 35 i havnt had any kind of problem soloing anything in this game ,(not complaining) cept the roics and fp's it may just be that you either A arnt high enough level or B you dont know enough about your toon to effectivly solo the content gear up level up not tring to be rude but if your still having trouble after that i dunno what to tell you BTW doing quests missions or running FP/duengeons to get gear to do the next part is part of every MMO out there no exceptions

posted from iphone forum app

Edited by jamews

ya some class quests are harder than others, and if you picked a dps spec it could be even harder.

as tank spec with heal pet, i dont think anything is too difficult though. but most folks go dps and can have a rough time of certain missions.

but to me, there's a bigger problem in this game with solo'ing than hitting walls while questing... no "dungeon finder". when you get max lvl and there are no guildies around to run stuff with, putting together an instance run can be difficult and even impossible on certain server/factions. without being able to work towards better gear efficently on max lvl toons, its much more tempting to go back to wow where that ability is present and *maybe* come back when it's implenmented here...

I am all for grouping, when it is with friends. But this game really punishes you if you are a solo player. The class quests a are a factor harder then the rest and it is often just to tough to solo them. I die a lot and I consider myself an above average gamer, having played a lot of MMOs and various other games.

It is just becoming more trouble than its worth, and I don't want to be forced to look for help every time I want to do a class quest.

I want to like this game. I always loved what Bioware made, but this is just frustrating. Maybe I will cool down and come back. The whole needing to do class quests and dailies to get gear, so you can have enough gear to do class quests and dailies is a catch 22 that really only be overcome by dieing a lot, or grouping up.

It just isn't fun.

When was the last time you've upgraded your gear? Are you using a companion? Are you using the correct companion?

Honestly, OP, I have no idea what you are complaining about. This is the easiest leveling I've ever experienced in a MMORPG. You can clear any leveling content in greens, even greens that are not totally up to date.

I've found this game to be the most solo-friendly MMO that I've ever played.

On the few occasions that I've had problems soloing a class quest I first tried using different tactics + stims. If that didn't work (assuming my gear was all current) then I'd go out and get another level and come back.

I kind of agree. I don't believe the class quests are difficult to do solo. However, I prefer playing solo, I don't like grouping with others, and TOR places heavy emphasis on grouping. I can't take part in any flashpoints, and I can never complete heroic quests when I get them, I have to wait until my toons are a little higher level. (The latter I understand, they're heroic for a reason.) Also I don't get to make use of the social point system. While I agree that for people who enjoy grouping with others, this game is perfect. But for myself, it is slightly disappointing that I miss out on some things simply due to my reluctance to group with others.

ya some class quests are harder than others, and if you picked a dps spec it could be even harder.

as tank spec with heal pet, i dont think anything is too difficult though. but most folks go dps and can have a rough time of certain missions.

but to me, there's a bigger problem in this game with solo'ing than hitting walls while questing... no "dungeon finder". when you get max lvl and there are no guildies around to run stuff with, putting together an instance run can be difficult and even impossible on certain server/factions. without being able to work towards better gear efficently on max lvl toons, its much more tempting to go back to wow where that ability is present and *maybe* come back when it's implenmented here...

My sith, using Kham, destroys content. My BH merc does so too. My Snipe got his tank right away. My tank was the toughest of the bunch, but that was even easy.

All one has to do is keep their gear up to date, stay at even level, or one above the content and its not difficult at all. If one does not want to do every side quest, then do space missions. They are good xp and great credits.

I kind of agree. I don't believe the class quests are difficult to do solo. However, I prefer playing solo, I don't like grouping with others, and TOR places heavy emphasis on grouping. I can't take part in any flashpoints, and I can never complete heroic quests when I get them, I have to wait until my toons are a little higher level. (The latter I understand, they're heroic for a reason.) Also I don't get to make use of the social point system. While I agree that for people who enjoy grouping with others, this game is perfect. But for myself, it is slightly disappointing that I miss out on some things simply due to my reluctance to group with others.

I changed classes late, so I had to catch up with my BH tank. I never did a heroic (there are no heroic class quests btw), and never did a flashpoint. I leveled and did space missions, and caught up rather quickly.

If they are frustrating you, don't do them. Just do the class quests and the side quest. Lace in your space mission dailies to provide cash to keep your gear upgraded.

It just isn't fun.

As someone who leveled up a lvl 50 Sentinel, the quests are not that hard. If you are having trouble with class quests, I would suggest that you level up a little more. The Heroics are really hard to solo, and are designed to be done in a group anyways. Commendations can be found as random drops from elite mobs on all the planets.

Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you are trying to rush content. Try mixing in some other quests while you are doing the class quests so you have a chance to level a bit and get some commendations so you can buy some gear on the planet.

Not to mention but a really good friend of mine decide to power level his character before doing any of his professions and boy was that a mistake. Leveling most professions while you level your character will also net you some better gear making your tasks a little bit easier.

You forget that wow just got that tool right before Cata and the previous 5 years, you pugged groups for dailies.

That's what you do here as well. I just pugged one last night. It takes a little bit of time, sometimes, but thats how it use to get done for years in other mmos, long before wow just released the dungeon finder.

Are you really complaining about not being able to do Flashpoints solo? Those are designed as group content. And complaining about not getting Social Points, when you clearly state you like playing solo is just mind blowing.

I want pvp gear without having to pvp lol

Edited by AidanLightwalker

So your complant is the content designed... in an MMO... for groups of people... can't be completed solo? and...the SOCIAL POINT SYSTEM?

Its a "SOCIAL SYSTEM"... Why would be able to use it without being... social?

I rarely post of the forums but this one just blew me away. As to the OP, the game is very easy compared to your average single player games. I believe the flaw is on your end, not with SWTOR. I do NOT intend to be rude or insulting so much as to just point out that if your having real issues and the vast majority of players are not, perhaps you missed a key factor along the way.

I didn't realize the driod in my ship could act as a healer.. on my tank assassin I soloed to lvl 35-40 whenever you get talos using khem val. It was tough but had to use all my interupts and skills to stay alive.. think I might also have done some kiting and some ping pong tanking between me and khem.

Some of them are tough but you have tools their at your disposal to overcome most obstacles.

I've found this game to be the most solo-friendly MMO that I've ever played.

On the few occasions that I've had problems soloing a class quest I first tried using different tactics + stims. If that didn't work (assuming my gear was all current) then I'd go out and get another level and come back.

Going to have to go along with that, yes.

I have had a couple instances where I got all bollixed up but it was either due to my ignorance or needing to improve my/my companion's gear.

I don't think I've ever had to come back at a higher level, more a matter of figuring out my approach.

I didn't really have too much trouble doing any of the solo content on my Sage. I don't consider myself anything more than an average gamer. If you are having that much trouble though, you can always go back after a few levels, no?

Maybe it's because I started out playing MMORPGs with EQ (1999) and did quite a bit of soloing in it. That was "punishing". Something simple such as zoning in the wrong place or falling off of the boat could get one killed (before done loading even) and could make you lose a days worth of effort. Every other MMORPG I've played since then has felt extremely easy to solo in, especially this one.

/shrugs

I always find it strange when people in chat ask for help with their story missions... especially when they are playing class that I play. I was able to solo all my story missions as Darkness Assassin with a pure dps companion. Edited by Magnijung

This problem may be that when you finish the first main hub world in the game they give you your ship and 2 planets, but they stress the higher of those two as where you should go next.

I had a friend fall for this and he took some convincing to go back to his ship and look at the other planet they mention to see that it was more in his level range.

So many people at level 17 charge off to the level 20+ world and just think this is too hard and rage quit due to the wording of their assignment.

I never had this problem and a lot of folks don't, but I can see how it could be a problem.

The only class quests that I have found were hard is due to bugs. Line of sight problems, companion stuck on imaginary walls, 15 MOBs teleporting from nowhere to your location and attacking, etc...