Sorcs in Pvp these days

Vladnar

I like em is what i have to say. Ive been pveing and doing daillies for a while and only came back to pvp very recently, and i only have all battlesmaster gear BUT i find that with the most recent changes we have that bit of power, esp in madness and not the best but likely not the worst so we feel handy, and we have that little extra durability and self healing to stick around a bit.

overall i like where we are, seems fair for us and our victims and id like to say GOOD JOB BIO.

Vlad

ps, Am i wrong?

Everything feels right except we need some type of regen. Tapping for force and sac'ing a ton of hp in relation is a terrible mechanic. Also could use a defensive cool down but I'd take just the regen. Maybe have our channeled heal return force or something IDK. Or buff the Force Bending bonuses.

I think BW idea is that we use consumption to regain the force while being speced into the health regain talent of corruption. Then use self healing to bring health back up fast after consumption. I use the self heal like that a lot in voidstar and that is it. But I am not speced into that talent in corruption though.

Madness dps got nothing. Lightning is still too easy to shut down.

I don't want to play a lightning/heal hybrid just to be competitive. We still have no proper defensive CD, although granted the self-heal is nice, but it's still not an "oh ****!" button cf dps like Marauders with Cloak of Pain, Sabre Ward, Undying Rage and Force Camo. We don't have shroud like our Sin cousins.

For PvP burst is king, and sorc DPS just doesn't have it. We have no execute move. Our dots are weak, again cf an anni mara where dots auto-crit or a pyro tech CGC dot which tick harder when target is under 30%.

All in all, the pure sorc dps specs are not really viable and no rated will take a sorc dps over a marauder, powertech or sniper.

We maybe slightly above mercs for PvP, but make no mistake Bioware have done nothing to address the real issues that concern sorcs in PvP and we are still way below other dps classes. You can see Bioware have no clue because they went and buffed a class that didn't need it like Warrior Rage spec. It needed to be made instant, that's it. Now it's just lolsmash spec for n00bs and sorc still remains a class with an unfeasibly high skill threshold to survive for the pitiful damage we do. If we are to be a glass cannon, at least give us a cannon.

I think BW idea is that we use consumption to regain the force while being speced into the health regain talent of corruption. Then use self healing to bring health back up fast after consumption. I use the self heal like that a lot in voidstar and that is it. But I am not speced into that talent in corruption though.

And is that not a horrible mechanic? Yes or no?

I am spec'd into that talent you speak of (4% less health stolen LOL might as well be zero), and stealing chunks of health to regain force is still the worst mechanic that exists in the game and needs to be replaced.

Edited by Hairyzac

And is that not a horrible mechanic? Yes or no?

I am spec'd into that talent you speak of (4% less health stolen LOL might as well be zero), and stealing chunks of health to regain force is still the worst mechanic that exists in the game and needs to be replaced.

i kind of like the mechanic or the notion of it - reminds me of life tapping (maybe make innervate applicable to enemies as a kind of "drain life"?)

i wish it provided some kind of charge tho- like, 5 consumptions trigger a boost of some sort (not the lame diminishing return that happens)

Yes id like to pull health straight from our enemies once youve given up health to restore mana.

Our Dot.s do need a bit more fizz and we don't really have a bang BUT we don't want to get too powerful either as you'll only see sorcs once more, like your getting these slammers at the moment.

i kind of like the mechanic or the notion of it - reminds me of life tapping (maybe make innervate applicable to enemies as a kind of "drain life"?)

i wish it provided some kind of charge tho- like, 5 consumptions trigger a boost of some sort (not the lame diminishing return that happens)

How can you like a mechanic that steals a ton of your health and returns barely any force? When you have people beating on you in war zones, why on earth would you steal your own health to gain force? Unless you want to enjoy a run back from the spawn point, you wouldn't be doing that. That is dumb...period. In PvE, I guess I can understand where you are coming from though.

I don't want to play a lightning/heal hybrid just to be competitive. We still have no proper defensive CD, although granted the self-heal is nice, but it's still not an "oh ****!" button cf dps like Marauders with Cloak of Pain, Sabre Ward, Undying Rage and Force Camo. We don't have shroud like our Sin cousins.

For PvP burst is king, and sorc DPS just doesn't have it. We have no execute move. Our dots are weak, again cf an anni mara where dots auto-crit or a pyro tech CGC dot which tick harder when target is under 30%.

All in all, the pure sorc dps specs are not really viable and no rated will take a sorc dps over a marauder, powertech or sniper.

We maybe slightly above mercs for PvP, but make no mistake Bioware have done nothing to address the real issues that concern sorcs in PvP and we are still way below other dps classes. You can see Bioware have no clue because they went and buffed a class that didn't need it like Warrior Rage spec. It needed to be made instant, that's it. Now it's just lolsmash spec for n00bs and sorc still remains a class with an unfeasibly high skill threshold to survive for the pitiful damage we do. If we are to be a glass cannon, at least give us a cannon.

This has been said for the better half of 6 months and it still rings true, yet still falling on completely deaf ears.

I had to look at your post date because I expected the OP to be posted somewhere in January. You must have very low standards if you think sorc is in a good place. Nothing BW has done about sorc since release has been good. The worst part about it is that there are so many ways of improving the class but instead of just buffing an existing ability, like the bubble, they're adding a new ability, the new heal. Like, why? They do the same thing, keep the HP up, but I guess they felt the need to add yet a new button to the ability bar.

I bet that when they finally realize that sorcs have the worst burst in the game they're not just going to buff shock or DF. No, they'll take 6 months to work on a new ability instead. Because you know, why make it easy for yourself?

Edited by MidichIorian

It pains me to constantly see these posts for 6 months as someone has already mentioned. Pre 1.2 i was worried that sorcs would become like that of opreratives as far as nerfs.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=356256

I took a break over the summer and come back and have been playing for 3 weeks now (I still have my champ gear and have been working on BM) and without a doubt i am getting facerolled by every class i come in contact with. There is no way i can stand a chance against WH's who can hit me for 5k and 8k crits. I'm a mobile free target for all in my cross server.

No not too low a standerds at all i wouldn't say, only those slam slam guys are regularly better than me in 1 vs 1 in fact im happy to take on all comers in 1 vs 1 but 2 on me and i seem to get stung pretty quick. I usually manage to stick around long enough and usually finish such an encounter with still half my health.

Comparing pvp depends upon so many factors its hard to judge i guess but i would certainly say ive found my sorcs to me middle of the road at least unless 220k Damage, 120k Healing and a kills of 30 deaths to 4 times taken down just really isn't enough..im certainly not an overly talented pvp player and i only pug but im happy with what im seeing is all im saying guys.

A bit more punch wouldnt' go a miss but i don't want to pvp with only sorcs again that was terrible.

Vlad

These are taken from a winning warzone btw but see what i mean...

Damage.....249,058

Kills 32 Deaths 6

Healing.....52,709

Was 4th highest for damage and had a healer on about 300k but noone else over 100k.

Not awful but not BAM BAM but i think they're fun to play with a number of facets to them. As i said i like em and im not in rated and i pug and im winning just about more than im losing....and having enormous fun into the bargain

Can it really be all bad......nah.

Everything feels right except we need some type of regen. Tapping for force and sac'ing a ton of hp in relation is a terrible mechanic. Also could use a defensive cool down but I'd take just the regen. Maybe have our channeled heal return force or something IDK. Or buff the Force Bending bonuses.

Yeah, I agree. I'm hybrid heals (not 31 point heals) so I don't have all of the regen tools but even if I did I need every bit of health to survive so I am not inclined to use them. Also, I suspect that our Static Barrier bubbles and heal over time spells contribute to being stuck in combat and thus being unable to exit combat to regen force.

I think that ounce you get to full WH you will see a difference in your survivability.....what most sorcs dont do so they get trashed is to get your shield up as much as possible during a battle and to heal when you can.....Another thing i noticed in WZ's is that people arent getting those dots down in succession with the Death Field, which causes there dmg to suffer significantly

I think that ounce you get to full WH you will see a difference in your survivability
That's more of an awareness thing. In more or less every pug game I'm in I'm the last man standing on my team, in the zerg, despite not using expertise. I would have been banned if I had expressed my feelings over this in chat every time. Like, how is the sage/sorc surviving but not the sentiels/mara? Just how bad are they? I'm even giving them bubble stuns and the occassional offheal.

That's one of the reasons to why I'm only PvP'ing two warzones per week nowdays, I can't deal with the low quality.

Since I'm venting, what's wrong with the people who think that they can go from being owned to taking all three objectives? I backfill, we turn things around......just to have team mates go for third and lose two objectives in the process. WHY? How stupid are they? And to think that some of them are voting today.

Just a thought here I am madness speced. I think my dmg is ok but like someone else said in PvP it's all about the burst. If all my dots were direct dmg instead of dots I think we would feel more like the glass cannon.

Just my 2 cents...

Burst is important and I thought (as did the rest of us) that when designers are making a "glass cannon" spec it was obvious that that spec has high damage burst and moderate sustained (if not the highest I see no reason other classes with better armor hp and gap closers to do the same dmg we do)

It has been a very hard and sometimes rage quitting pace to get my sorc geared and now that he is... my highest hit went from 2.7k to 3.0k and survivability wise........... I really have no comment other than sure against a recruit geared class it's slightly better however they still crit me for 4-7ks (depending on teir class) I'm about fed up with my sorc which is a shame months of game play money guide reading rotation crunching ruined because BW can't figure out what all the other MMO Dev's did.

Edited by Calogerus

Burst is important and I thought (as did the rest of us) that when designers are making a "glass cannon" spec it was obvious that they would include the "cannon"....what we got instead was a bic lighter without fluid.

This is what I read and TOO TRUE!

/agree

Would comment about our *cough* survivability, but I don't do well on myths and ours is just that.

Edited by MandraMoody