Rate the best class stories

AGSThomas

I have finished the Sith Warrior, Inquisitor and Jedi Knight stories and so far the one I enjoyed the most has been the SW (playing it as a Dark Side Jugg)

Jedi Knight felt bland, just your typical amazing hero kind of story. The Inquisitor was pretty meh until Chapter 3 and I didn't really like it until the very end.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Imperial Agent story is probably one of the best. It's really very good.

The only other story I've played most of is the Sith Inquisitor. And the story itself isn't too great on it's own, but by playing a female character and choosing all the sassy responses, it makes everything WAY more enjoyable. Your character clearly gives no F***s about anything or anyone besides herself. And you get to brush off or trashtalk almost everyone because you're a sith. Good stuff!

If the other stories and characters are even on par with these two, then I'd say it all boils down to personal preference.

Edited by EliteSeraph

Despite an old OP, I'll give my opinions that no one cares about, because why not!?

1. Sith Warrior! None of the stories were like "write home about" good. But, this one was definitely the most enjoyable for me. Mostly for the part when you work with a jedi. Trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible, but that little part of the story had a nice touch to it. I felt powerful during the story. Dark Side.

2. Sith Inquisitor. It wasn't so much the story itself, but it was fun to watch my character have a "only I matter" attitude. I could never RP on my sorceress, she's way too mean for me! Haha. Lots of fun just randomly shocking people, sometimes for no reason. I would get excited when the shock option came up, haha. Dark Side

3. Bounty Hunter. This story was like the opposite of the other stories. In the other stories, you start from the bottom and work your way to the top. For BH, you're at the top early, and work trying to get back down! Haha. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed BH so much was because I went in with a "this going is going to rep me!" mindset. So, I ended up mostly light, with some dark. I think I killed men that I thought were pigs... Anyways! The merit of BH story is a "your own destiny" type of feel. You get plenty of chance to remind the NPCs that you're not actually part of the Empire, they're just paying.

4. Agent! I did like this story, just not as much as others. It kind of gives a water down'd James Bond-y kind of feel. So, sleeping around (lots of flirt options), living the high life, no one knows you're there, super secret squirrel stuff.

So! In my opinion, none of the Imperial stories were great, but! None of them were bad, either. I haven't completed any of the Republic stories. Working on my trooper, though! So far, I really enjoy when someone is cowards in front of her or making some grand speech, and she just stares at them with a blank look on her face. And, her usual response after their monologue is like 4 words. Forever expressionless and short of words, and I love it.

Edited by SkyCakeLight

• 6 months later...

My order goes thus far and the main reason why it was in this order for me.... I have played through every class to at least level 50.

1. Sith Inquisitor - This class, darkside specifically, embodies my personality if I existed within the Star Wars universe. The dialogue was crisp, the progression of earning companions and learning to live with them was fascinating. I wouldn't always go darkside, I would usually go for options that benefited me and my conquest to the dark council. I loved every bit of story, from starting as a slave to Zash wanting to take over your body, eventually making her your slave within Khem's body, and finally earning your rightful place on the Dark Council by performing ancient Sith rituals and gathering Force Ghosts to make you even more powerful. My Inquisitor is the embodiment of who I would be in the Star Wars universe.

2. Jedi Knight - Classic saving the galaxy story, and done very well. Glad you get a fellow Jedi as a companion quickly. I like going lightside on this class, but darkside works as well. If you end up being mostly light, you end up being and acting more like Luke Skywalker. If you go dark, you end up acting more like Anakin Skywalker. Either way it's some good story and dialogue. Also love Lord Scourge, his history and his reasons for abandoning the Empire but not necessarily the darkside.

3. Sith Warrior - Love the companions, personally I think the story is a little slower than the Inquisitor storyline. I like how in the Inquisitor story line you have multiple enemies to get through to the Dark Council. Darth Baras exists throughout the entire story line and I get tired of his fat face. Not only that but the Warrior doesn't really go through a progression of power, at least not as thorough as the Inquisitor's. Nonetheless it is awesome how the Warrior gets to become the Emperor's Wrath, taking Lord Scourge's old position. Liked being dark much more than light in this playthrough.

4. Imperial Agent - Best out of all the non-force user classes. I remember when Bioware announced the Agent class and a lot of people were skeptical. Boy did Bioware prove them wrong. I love the diplomacy and the sneaking and the secret things you do for the Empire. This storyline makes me realize that my Inquisitor and Warrior would not exist if it were not for the Imperial Agents that hold the Empire on their shoulders.

5. Smuggler - just the witty dialogue was good enough for me to rate this as number five. I loved acting like Han Solo in this storyline, the negatives get crossed out in my mind just for the dialogue and banter. Just wish this class could have the choice to work for the Empire and switch factions.

6. Bounty Hunter - I was never a real fan of Boba Fett, and therefore of Bounty Hunters in general. Let's face it, Boba Fett only had a few seconds of combat in Episode 5 and in Episode 6 he gets taken out by a blind Han Solo smacking his jetpack and making it malfunction and toss him into the Sarlacc Pit. However I did enjoy the Bounty Hunter story, but it always rubbed me wrong how you couldn't join the republic. What if the Republic pays higher? Why can't you go join them? Meh, I'm getting picky.

7. Trooper - This story is great and all, but I do get tired of General Garza. And all of the companions, save one, always get tons of relationship points just for saying "yes ma'am" or whatever. I still enjoy the Trooper gameplay and main story, but I'd like to be able to have some variety with the dialogue and not get screwed over by missing out on companion points.

8. Jedi Consular - This is the only story I truly dislike... The first two chapters are very dull and boring, minus the Neotikon parts. I don't like the male voice actor's way of delivering his lines. And the darkside options are way too aggressive from his normal tone of voice. One moment he's normal and then he sounds just like a sith? Also this class loses points on not getting an apprentice until very late in the game, and in a very weird way to. So her dad died and in her will he wanted you to train his daughter? And the Jedi Council just let this happen? Without even bringing her to Tython? The story seems very slow in some parts and then rushed extremely quickly in big plot points during the story.

Overall, this is the first and only MMO I have had fun during the leveling process. I can't wait for Fallen Empire later this month. And thanks to Bioware for the 12x experience bonus for class story missions otherwise I would not have gotten through all these classes.

And remember, this post is my opinion and is completely not fact based. I felt this certain way for these classes and you can have a different opinion. Maybe you love the consular storyline while I dislike it, I won't argue with you about it. Let's just agree we all love star wars and leave it at that.

Now that I've finished all 8 I think I can chime in my opinion.

From best to worst:

1. Smuggler

I pick this as the best not so much for the story itself, but because the combination of story, character personality, voice acting, and the people you interact with during the story all fit together perfectly. Smuggler is not my favorite class as far as playstyle or role goes, but I definitely enjoyed leveling my smuggler more than any other character simply because of the dialogue.

2. Bounty Hunter

For similar reasons to the smuggler, the bounty hunter was an excellent combination of story, dialogue, and characters. It was a little more serious and less humorous than the smuggler, which is the only reason I rate it second.

3. Sith Inquistior

Most people hate the inquisitor storyline, but I found it to be among the best. It really conveys the feeling of uncovering ancient force secrets and becoming a true master of the dark side. There's far more intrigue to the inquisitor than the other force classes, it's more of a mental game, which appeals to me personally. I also really like the playstyle for the sorceror, and I think it fits the story much better than the assassin spec does.

4. Imperial Agent

Many consider the agent to have the best storyline in the game. For me, it was a little too cliche and a little too predictable at most turns, which brings down the agent's score here. There were some very interesting moments, however, and cutscenes with elements you just dont see in the other classes.

5. Jedi Knight

Normally I prefer the empire/sith classes over the republic, and especially over the jedi. The sole reason that I rate the jedi knight ahead is because it felt, from start to finish, like the natural continuation of the KOTOR games. The knight really conveys that KOTOR feeling more than any other class in the game.

6. Sith Warrior

For similar reasons to the jedi knight, the sith warrior's story is very reminiscent of KOTOR, had you picked the darkside to follow rather than the jedi tenets. Also, vette is one of the best companions in the game, IMO.

7. Trooper

Everything about the trooper story was predictable and bland. Granted, it's a military story and it conveys a military style very well, it just didnt ring well with my preference for character type. There's also a lot of really awkward or just plain bad voice acting for both male and female troopers.

8. Jedi Consular

I'm sure most rate the consular last. Overall I didnt mind the consular story, and I didnt think it "sucked", but again it was too predictable and too mainstream. There were no real surprising moments for me when playing the consular, even with the big twist at the end.

IA is for me is the best class in the game.Smuggler feelt so booring and stupid whit all flirting option...Jadi feelt booring as well whit all they "theres no emotions ********" Sith Warrior was great but not as great as IA (also reminds me of Mass Effect that i like alot) and after playing i dont think light side is for me :c because it feels soooo booring and jedi try to hammer they morale in you yet they are corrupted.

so on a scale for 1 to 10.

1.I.A = 10/10

2.Sith Warrior = 8/10

3.Sith Inq = 8/10

4.B.H = 4/10

5.Jedi Knight = 3/10

6.Jedi Conc.= 3/10 (not lower becouse of the companions)

7.Trooper = 2/10

8.Smuggler = 1/10

I have:

7 Inquisitors(all darkside)

5 Warriors(all darkside)

2 Consulars(1 Darkside, 1 Lightside)

2 Knights(1 Darkside, 1 Lightside)

2 Agents(Mixed Alignment)

1 Smuggler(Mostly Lightside)

1 Bounty Hunter(Mostly Darkside)

1 Commando(Lightside)

So you can pretty much guess which stories I prefer, I've about 4 or 5 deleted 50-55's but those were Warriors and Inquisitors as well.

This is from the perspective of a player who only plays darkside with a bit of the humor choices thrown in.

1. Sith Warrior: You basically get to play as Darth Vader but without the whiny teenage phase. I loved bringing along Vette because of her reactions to my evil choices and I kept trying to corrupt her like I did the Handmaiden in kotor 2 (sith warrior was my first class). I loved almost everything about this story and it's the character I'm looking forward to playing the most in kotfe.

2. Jedi Knight: This one started off a little slow for me but as a dark side player the parts that involve fighting the emperor are great and it makes things feel really personal. I also liked that I got to learn how Revan and the Exile got killed through this story and I'm a bit surprised the jedi order didn't boot me out after all the things I did in the name of the republic. I mean what other story lets me turn a jedi master into my personal assassin?

3. Sith Inquisitor: Almost tied with the agent for me. I love playing evil and the inquisitor definetely fits the tone. But unlike my sith warrior playthrough it seemed that my inquisitor had much more to prove as he first started off as a slave who was expected to be killed at any moment. One of my favorite parts are revisiting the starting area and watching my apprentice getting chosen like my character was.

4. Imperial Agent: Barely loses to inquisitor for it's slow start for me. To be honest it felt mediocre until the end of chapter 1 where my character was able to surpass my expectations and actually join the "enemy". Lots of backstabbing and double-crossing kept me on my toes and it almost felt like my imperial agent was on a quest to discover who she really was.

5. Bounty Hunter: The weakest of the imperial classes for me. The reason for this is that the story just feels pretty generic and even the sith you can side with feels like he has no personality and barely any power in the sith power structure anyway. While I liked a lot of the "bounty hunter type" choices my character had in dialogue options the whole thing still didn't feel as epic as the other 4 I mentioned.

6. Smuggler: The best part about the smuggler is trying to build your own criminal network and hunting for treasure. On paper it sounds alluring but being basically drafted to work for the republic got dull at times. This class got bonus points for me though with the funny dialogue choices.

7. Trooper: The trooper feels pretty bland to me. After decking out my trooper in some adaptable heavy looking armor I felt like I was playing robo cop or something. It never really felt like I could be good or evil and it was more like "which do you think would strengthen the republic more?". I did have fun shooting a senator in the senate though.

8. Jedi consular: This story was just so boring to me. I didn't really care about my companions or what was going on for 2/3 of it. Some highlights were seeing the holograms of Bastilla and master vandar, and finally fighting the emperors children after first hearing about them in the jedi knight story. To me the story just took too long to pick up even though it did have some interesting parts.

Edited by Sarrkoth

• 1 month later...

Well to be honest I only completed 3 stories (Inq,War,and BH) but i got through chapter 1 with my Agent and Smuggler,and have yet to pass Coruscant with my Consular, Knight and Trooper. So if anyone asks me to rate the stories it would go like this:

1.) Inquisitor: I'm a lore buff, I love Darth Maul, and I love to tank. Why wouldn't I love my Assassin? But I'm not just talking about gameplay aspects (which are amazing too!) but also almost every aspect instantly clicked with me. Khems companion story post-chapter 1 is great because it's

hilarious messing with Zash, making her think I was gonna help her,then ultimately screwing her over after she did to you.

Male Inquisitor has a shoddy romance option at best, but Andronikos is a cool guy. Xalek is a bonafide ******.

2.) Bounty Hunter: It was my first story, so I guess thats why it's second best. Dark side falls off really bad compared to LS. Hunter has the best starter companion, comparable only to Vette. She's also romance-able for male Hunters.

3.) Sith Warrior: Literally read any other comment on this thread. LS or DS, he's always amazing and epic.

Out of the 2 I only completed Chapter 1 for, I'd have to say Agent has advantage for the sheer feeling of being an actual agent. Chapter 1 boss was suprisingly unexpected, because you get that "Who is this traitor? Literally no one is a geniune suspect." "Wait, it's him? How did I not expect that?"

Smuggler has a mediocre chapter 1. It isn't really doing the same thing 4 times on different planets, much so doing 4 dull things on different planets.

And the rest of my Republic toons have only got to Coruscant, with Jedi Knight getting the farthest (only 1 quest away from planet completion), Consular to Black Sun territory and Trooper no farther than Merchants Guild. And Consular is a pain when playing as female, and utter nightmare as male (Nolan, stick to doing Deadpool and Nathan Drake, you could've been a great smuggler).

LS Warrior was my favorite. I'm a ****** Force user using my passion for Freedom as my driving goal? Hells yeah.

Mixed LS/DS trooper was my next favorite. I'm a soldier, sometimes the ends justify the means, sometimes you save the children.

Smuggler is ok, revenge story followed by greed.

Inquisitor was just funny. It's why I named my character after a Ghostbuster.

Knight was predictable, but I still don't see why Scourge hangs around, or why I let him.

BH is boring.

Consular is boring.

Haven't played Agent yet

• 1 month later...

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing what other people's opinions were. Since I just recently finished all the classes (yeah, it took a while), I've decided to post my impressions. It's definitely long, but I enjoy discussing what works and what doesn't. If you do too, I hope you enjoy it. If not, feel free to skip it. I tried to format it partly as a review, and partly as a guide to what you can expect and what choices I think enhance the experience of each class, for anyone who hasn’t played one of these. If you disagree, that's fine - there's plenty of room for differences of opinion. Also, I tried to keep it as spoiler-free as possible.

Knight – this one was one of my favorites, but there’s a catch. Make no mistake, you are basically Luke Skywalker in this one, and the plot of the Knight class is Joseph Campbell/Monomyth/Hero with a Thousand Faces all over the place. It does this pretty well, but there is almost nothing original about this story. The result is that people who like it call it a “traditional Star Wars story,” and people who hate it call it a cluster of clichés. I suspect the only difference between these groups is that one of them WANTED that kind of story. You should really only play the Knight if you would like a heaping helping of monomyth (as I do!). If you do choose to play it, the Knight also offers an unusually cohesive story – the introduction leads smoothly into chapter one, and chapters two and three are one tight unit. All of this builds to the best endgame of any of the classes.

Advice: one thing I did that made the monomyth story feel more new was play a female Knight. The epic hero is a character archetype that has been given to women so rarely (the only one I can think of is Katniss Everdeen) that just making the character a woman is enough to make the material a little more fresh. It also makes Doc a much more interesting companion as he basically spends the first hour or so after you meet throwing hilarious and cheesy pickup lines at you. This means that three or four out of the five companions suddenly become interesting and engaging (depending on how you feel about T7), and this greatly enhances the experience. As to whether you should go Guardian or Sentinel, I chose Sentinel because I thought the combat looked fun (and it was!), but there are good reasons to go Guardian – they’re a bit tougher, more flexible in terms of what combat roles they can play, and are more viable in grouping. Really, either is fine, but you should be aware of the drawbacks of each.

Consular

– I’ll be honest, there isn’t much here for me to praise. The plot is a bit too preachy for me, even though I’m generally a fan of Jedi lore. This problem is compounded by the voice of the male consular, which is pedantic and generally annoying. The female voice is better, but not good enough to save this story. The companions are no great shakes either, and only 2 of them are even marginally interesting. Finally, each of the chapters is essentially a different story. If anyone has a defense for this class, I’ll happily hear it. I'd love to be able to find some good in this plot.

Advice: if you’re going to play this one, I recommend playing a female (to avoid the annoying male voice), and suggest going for a Sage, which seems to be better suited to the story. Then again, the story as it stands is so pedantic that maybe a Shadow would tune it down a bit.

Edit: I've just recently been playing through the Consular again and I want to (drastically) revise my opinion: I'm liking it much more than I did on my first play-through. I think this is for a couple of reasons. 1. the Consular was the first class I played (way back at first release), and when I created that character, I didn't realize that each class has a different story, and that the Knight is the one that is most directly a continuation of Kotor I & II, two games I love. Basically, I was frustrated that I had put more than a hundred hours into a character who isn't The Hero . 2. I played a male Consular, and as I said in my first review, Nolan North's voice work in SWTOR is grating. Having now come back and played a female Consular after playing all the other classes, I have a better perspective.

Someone else reviewing the Consular commented that this class is more of an adult story than the others, and while I'm not sure that's how I'd put it (it comes off as a slight against all the other classes), I agree: the Consular is a teacher and a negotiator, and is probably more representative of what it meant to be a Jedi for the "thousand generations" during which "the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic," as Obi-Wan expounds in Episode 4. My experience was that the Consular's story often mirrored the Knight's, but where the Knight is facing the Big Bad, the Consular is operating behind the scenes, gathering allies, and dealing with less obvious threats. This makes for some engaging storytelling, but it also means that the Consular's story is more subdued than most of the other classes, and, as I said in the original review, it can become overly-pedantic and preachy if you let it.

Advice: 1. Avoid Nolan North at all cost. Go for a female Consular. In addition to the voicework issue, I recommend avoiding the male Consular because, like the male Knight, his romance option is his student. That's just creepy. 2. If you're looking to play KotOR III, you're going to be disappointed with the Consular. Go play the Knight, and come back to the Consular when you feel in the mood for something that's more sedate, but still pretty good.

Trooper – this may be one of the best unsung classes out there. It consistently ranks high on lists of the best class stories, but I haven't seen many people talking about it. It’s probably tied with the Knight for the best class story on the Republic side, imo. Virtually all of the companions are entertaining and likeable, and you really get a sense of being part of a squad. The trooper story is unusual in that the moral choices are actually difficult: your morality will often be at odds with your orders, and it’s not uncommon for you to be forced to choose between saving an ally and getting the bad guy. Whereas most of the other classes would find some way to allow you to do both, the Trooper story doesn’t bother and it feels more grounded and real as a result.

The Trooper also seems to have the opposite problem of the Knight: where the Knight is so typically Star Wars as to be either a classic or a cliché, the Trooper story often seems like it’s not Star Wars enough: no Swashbuckling smugglers here, and the mystical side of the Star Wars universe hardly even figures into the story, to the point where, in one of the few instances when it really does appear, one of the characters is shocked (literally and figuratively) that the Sith can shoot lightning from their fingers. In another instance, one of your companions has to ask if Force users even have any substantial power. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you’re looking for a more traditional Star Wars story, other classes might be more to your liking. The trooper also stumbles in the later chapters, as the story progressively becomes less focused; there’s a very clear mission in chapter one, a bunch of small missions toward a distant but palpable end goal in chapter two, just a bunch of disparate missions with a less imminent objective in chapter three. The good characters carry it through, however.

Advice: None really here. Just play it and have fun.

Smuggler – a lot of people hate this one, but I had a lot of fun with it. The script is hilarious, the voice (at least of the male) is really good, and the plot is solid. In fact, the Smuggler has one of the best introductions of any of the classes with a nice, clear objective to direct the plot. Its weakness is that most of the companions fall flat – Gus is the only one who really shines (except for possibly Bowdaar), and the plot, while well-done, is not taking itself very seriously.

Advice: to get the most out of the Smuggler, I’d level him/her at the same time as you’re levelling a Dark Side Inquisitor or Warrior. The Smuggler will provide welcome comic relief and make the unrelenting darkness of the Sith stories seem like less of a downer. Also, no matter how much of a jaded mercenary you are, you WILL be railroaded into doing your patriotic duty for the Republic, so this part will go more smoothly if you’ve worked out a justification in advance. I went with a Starlord-esque “I want to save the galaxy because I’m one of the idiots who lives in it” self-justification.

Warrior – The Warrior frequently gets touted as the best in the game (along with the Agent). It’s very good. The Intro and Chapter One are everything that’s great about SWTOR. Chapter Two, however, mostly feels like the game is in holding pattern until the big plot twist that kicks off Chapter Three. The Warrior story is like that of the Knight, albeit with less goody-goody behavior, but also with a more uneven plot. The companions are almost all good, and a couple of them, depending on how you play it, are excellent.

Advice: be prepared to play this one twice, as the story has a very different feel if you’re playing Light Side as opposed to Dark Side. Also, I recommend playing a male for this one, if only because the romance option is much better. That said, a female Darth Vader-type character could offer a lot of possibilities.

Inquisitor – I found this class to be somewhat similar to the Knight in that you sort of have to take it as it is: if you thought Palpatine was one of the saving graces of the prequels; if Korriban was your favorite planet in KotOR because you liked rooting around in Sith tombs looking for ancient, evil artifacts; if you would love to read the Dark Side Sourcebook from the old Star Wars RPG just so you can learn about the lore of the Sith, then you will have a lot of fun with this class. If none of those things sound like your bag…eh, you might want to pass. The companions are not this class’ strong suit: there are a couple gems, but others are kind of dull.

Advice: unlike most of the classes (the only other exception being the consular), the Inquisitor’s storyline isn’t equally well suited to its two specialist classes: the Sorcerer is definitely the one that fits the theme of the story better. That’s not to say there aren’t good reasons to go with the Assassin, but the story isn’t one of them. Also, I haven’t played a female Inquisitor, but the voice work of the male is excellent and made for some very entertaining dialog. I imagine the female is great as well, and her romance option seems like it would be better, but I haven’t tried her.

Agent – Whereas the Trooper is a bit underrated, I think this one is a bit overrated. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great. The plot is good, the story coheres pretty well and you definitely feel like an intelligence agent. This one is definitely worth playing. At the same time, the plot is really just as unoriginal as the Knight – except instead of Star Wars/myth clichés, the Agent has espionage/conspiracy theory clichés. The companions were all good, but none were really great. If it seems like I’m down on this one, I think that’s because reviews had led me to expect to be wowed. It's definitely one of the best, but I don't think it's head and shoulders above any of the other top class stories.

Advice: If you play a male, you’re essentially James Bond. If you play a female, you’re Black Widow from the Marvel Universe. Either is fine. Regarding class specialty, I chose a Sniper and really didn’t enjoy the gameplay. Perhaps the Operative is better?

Bounty Hunter – the Bounty Hunter story is better than people usually give it credit for, but it’s constrained by the class description: you’re basically Boba Fett. That’s really awesome and all, but being a bounty hunter is one long train of getting a contract, finding the mark, turning them in, and then repeating. That doesn’t translate to epic narratives very well, and so the Bounty Hunter plot is VERY episodic. This is largely unavoidable, and Bioware does about as much as it can to give the Bounty Hunter a grander narrative. It sort of works. The companions are mediocre, with a couple of notable exceptions. On the plus side, the gameplay is very good. Yes, I realize gameplay isn’t part of the plot, but it does affect the plot – bad gameplay can make a good plot a drudgery, good gameplay can make a weak plot more bearable, and the latter definitely happens here.

Advice: a bounty hunter just isn’t an epic hero and you shouldn’t expect him/her to be. Try to enjoy this one for the great gameplay and the nice, individual episodes.

The major take-away from all this is that the Star Wars movies are deceptively reliant on having an ensemble cast: when Bioware tries to recreate that same formula but separate each of the major character archetypes from the original movies into their own stories, it doesn’t quite work. Taken alone, Luke is just too earnest, Obi-Wan is a pedantic mystic, Han Solo lacks gravitas and Boba Fett leads a repetitive life. The game writers try to shore up these failings by giving you companions who fill the gaps, but this doesn’t always work. The best classes are the ones that either have really good companions who CAN balance out your character, or go in a completely different direction and don’t employ Star Wars archetypes as much (e.g. Trooper, Agent).

Edited by Hraken
changed my mind about one of the classes

Sith Inquisitor (now Sith Sorcerer... even though the legacy emote is still /inquisitor gg.)

Simply awesome, i luv Khem Val and the twists and the fact you can become a force Pokemon Trainer.

Jedi Knight

Is basically the story of the game. All expansions that went from 8 down to 1 storyline basically just followed the Jedi Knight's storyline. All about you and the Emperor.

Imperial Agent

I remember this being fun with all the agenty stuff, but it was 3 years ago so i might have to re-do it. The female Agent's voice is silky smooth.

Trooper

I enjoyed having Havoc Squad assembled, and loved the Senate twist near the end.

Scoundrel

FLIRT WITH EVERYTHING!

Hot Ambassador on Nar Shaddaa, flirt. Prison guard on Belsavis, flirt. Box of Documents on Coruscant, flirt.

Jedi Sage

I like it for its mix of dark and light choices, but it makes the Jedi Council look ... super weak with everything they ask of you. Get it together guys!

Also has the most amount of companions i would rather stab in the face then accept into my crew. (you know something's wrong when you initially hated Qyzen but he becomes the best of the bunch because you hate the others more once you get them.)

I would have preferred to have Holiday come alive EDI mass effect style and make her a full fledged member of my group.

Also why cant i use the air lock feature on some of the diplomats on my ship!

Bounty Hunter

Still to do, all i hear is Mako this, Mako that, and from what i recall, the Mako was a vehicle you'd ride in Mass effect on bumpy terrain.

Sith Warrior

Barely touched this one yet, will get to it soon. Something about Vette in a slave collar and Jaesa going all 50 shades of grey on you.

Sounds educational.

Edited by TarkaBear

This question gets asked a lot doesn't it? ;) As a student writer I myself have very specific tastes when it comes to storytelling in all forms so my answers will probably differ from other people's and I'm going to try my best to explain why. (Why I like this or that better than this or that, not why its better, as we all know, these are just opinions.) NOTE: There may be mild unmarked spoilers below for those who haven't played all eight classes, so be warned.

#1. Sith Inquisitor - This story for me clearly stands out above all the others (Its not my top-favorite, but as a critic I think its better than other stories I happen to like better.) The characters in this story I've found all have a surprising amount of depth, and the villains (Villains are my favorite characters to watch/read when they are done well) stand out above the other class antagonists as the more well-rounded characters.

Zash in particular was fun even though I guessed her master plan as early as Dromund Kaas. (The Cantina scene with her older friends was a lovely telegraphed hint, as well as Darth Skotia's comments about her being a witch cemented my guess.) I felt I had seen the exact plot a thousand times even though I've never been able to think of a single example. So I guess I haven't. Thanaton was also a pleasant surprise, in how he was developed it became clear that he doesn't necessarily want to kill you so much as he felt you had to die to preserve the Empire's Integrity. I really had fun with both centric antagonists. The companions were also all really well done (Even Talos, who bored me a lot when I first met him) and have very clear and specific characters arcs. I was especially a fan of Xalek's introduction story, I felt it brought the story full circle in a nice way right before the Kaggath.

#2 Jedi Consular - (This one is my favorite, and I don't care what everyone else thinks) This one starts off a little slow however slow isn't bad, as the plot after Tython begins what I liken to a Jedi Mystery as you have to piece together an event that happened years before you were born and who wants revenge on these masters. (I'd guessed the who early on as I felt it was obvious, but the why was a bit of a surprise.) This one to me had a strong, this is what Jedi are and do feel similar to the Inquisitor feeling like a traditional sith story. The difference being the Consular is a force prodigy and the Inquisitor is the slave underdog. The Villains weren't quite as strong here as the Inquisitor but they made up for lacking in character with some pretty big twists and surprises that didn't feel cheap (I can't say the same for a certain twist at the end of another story however.) Things pick up in pace at the start of chapter two and the Consular becomes a negotiator (Reminds me a lot of the opening of The Phantom Menace with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan on a mission from Chancellor Valorum, Yes, I found this a favorable comparison.) for the Rist alliance, and soon finds themselves being spied upon by one of the Senators (Had this one pegged too, Harry Potter taught me never to trust stutters.) The only twist I didn't see coming was the Identity of the first son, and by did I feel my soul crush when that was revealed, a wonderful way to raise the stakes and keep the final villains character intact and un-retconned.

I know a lot of people really don't like the companions for this class but overall I found them to be some of my favorite, Ironically Nadia never really made much of an impression on me though, a case of her storyline was more interesting than her character which sadly isn't uncommon with companions in this game. Tharan and Qyzen were particular favorites of mine. Qyzen because he wasn't what you'd expect and at the same time fit perfectly with the role of a Jedi Diplomat, Jedi seek understanding and Qyzen was of a species that I felt could bare some understanding and enlightening on the order's part. Tharan because he was simply hilarious. "You Mendacious Vagrant!" I never run out of amusement when he's around.

#3 Bounty Hunter - This story to me had one of the strongest overall storylines and was easily the best of the non-force stories. Every major event in all three chapters is directly linked to the one before it. The villains also had clear cut motivations and goals even if the first one did seem a little flat (But really we weren't given a lot of time with Tarro Blood, we mostly spoke briefly over holo and were encountered with a lot of obstacles he'd set in our way, didn't get a lot of face time unlike some other chapter 1 bosses.) The companions were all great too, if you can find a way to tolerate how the last one gets added to the crew, best to create a decent headcannon before starting your character. I've heard some people claim that this story is too episodic, and while I agree that it is, like slow starts that isn't by definition a bad thing. Some of the best things are episodic by their very nature (Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyone? Or really anything Joss Whedon has ever done?) but all the 'episodes' come keep the plot together and guide the player to epic finales every time.

#4 Smuggler - It was really difficult picking this spot, as I have several major issues with all of the remaining classes. Ultimately the sum of the smuggler's part made a greater whole. This story was one that initially took me ages to get through at launch because I felt the first storyline dragged on too long compared to others, however under 4.0's leveling it actually feels evenly paced. This storyline also starts off very strong and sets several pieces for future chapters in motion as it does (though it doesn't exactly execute them to my liking) and has the player actively engaged from the end of the first quest. Skavak was a very entertaining villain (Much moreso than his counterpart Tarro Blood, but we also interact much more with Skavak) and Rogun the Butcher keeps the an ever present threat dangling over your head. However, chapter 2 quickly tappers off as The Voidwolf appears. Personally, I hated the way he came into the story. It felt like he was tacked on at the start off chapter two and interrupted what could have been a beautiful narrative. (I have similar issues with Rakton, but his introduction was done a little better.) That said, once you get adjusted to the random new bad guy things kick back into gear, with twists and turns (Ones I didn't even catch on my first run through) that are very subtly hinted at leading to an explosive finale on Corellia.

This class seems to be the most split on whether people like the companions or not. Personally I thought this one had of the tighest units (Along with the Bounty Hunter. -Skadge) put together. Bowdarr gets on my nerves though, he has such a great introduction and then I feel like every time I speak to him is just to be further lectured on the evils of slavery.

#5 Jedi Knight - The Star Wars interpretation of Sailor Moon. From the first time I played this one I noticed it was set up a lot like certain anime, you have the big bad and his four cronies you have to deal with but the more I went through the more I realized how many paralells it and its characters have with a certain show about Pretty Guardians. (I do have a giant list of comparisons should anyone want to see it.) I actually enjoy the first half of the story more because of this but I really enjoyed Darth Angral as a villain. He was so defined as a character with his motivations in one scene toward the end of Alderaan, ("Then where is my son!") he was a grieving father trying to get revenge for his murdered son. I felt more bad for him than I did for the person he killed in that scene. But then things go to H#ll in a Handbasket in chapter two and three for one reason. Vitiate. The Sith Emperor has to be the worst villain in this entire game, he isn't so much of a character as a caricature, an evil mary sue and that drags the plot down immensely in my eyes which is really to bad as there was a lot to enjoy in the final two chapters but I just can't enjoy it because the final villain is just so poorly written, I'd expect better villains in twilight film. (...On second thought... maybe not.) Thats why the Jedi Knight is #5 instead of #4, despite the grand epic they were trying to weave in chapters 2 and 3, because of the villain it all fell flat for me.

The companions were pretty good for the most part. T7 was a much better counterpart to R2 than I was expecting (I don't like R2 for the record), I liked Kira better as a Female Knights BFF than as a love interest. Doc was hilarious, Rusk while not the most interesting isn't as bad as some make him out to be and Scourge is classic, even if you hate him as I do he's a great character and that I can appreciate.

#6 The Sith Warrior - Honestly, this one would have been much higher up for the same reason as the Knight, and is only below the Knight for two reasons. Too many elements are just utterly predictable and the main villain quickly descends into a bore that I'm completely indifferent too. Not to mention on Corellia there is a huge insult to one of the greater characters in video game history. Things start out promisingly enough and chapter one is truly engaging, on par with the strongest of opening chapters in the game. However, from the end of dromund kaas you can predict exactly where things are going to go in the long term. Baras views his minions and apprentices as disposable and anyone can predict what he's going to try to have done to the player as they grow in power.

For me Baras was too static a character for how much screen time was afforded to him and his motivations, he's exactly the same at the end of the story as he was at the beginning and while that might work well in some other form of media, it became increasing tiresome for me to play through. That's still a seat above Vitiate though. Companion Wise, I only really liked two and a half. Vette is such a cool Mission Vao throwback I loved her from the moment I laid eyes on her, and Quinn was one of the better Soldier/Officer companions in the game, and he provides one of the few generally surprising (for me) twists in the game. (Part of me enjoys the fact that nobody can kill him... I'm schadenfreude like that.) I only like the Light Side variant of Jaesa, dark side is just crazy for the sake of being crazy and I don't really enjoy those type of characters. Pierce is alright I guess but I've never really warmed up to him, perhaps after my current playthrough, and Broonmark... its better to introduce non-basic speaking companions first rather than at the end, gives people more time to get to know them. Broonmark probably never left most Warriors cargo holds.

P.S. Nomen Karr was an awesome villain.

#7 Agent - Overrated is the only thing that truly describes how I feel about this one and it has a very promising start on Hutta too... but it quickly takes a nosedive in narrative pace on Dromund Kaas and never quite regains enough forward momentum until the final moments of Chapter one providing yet another amazing twist I didn't see coming and one of the better villains in the entire game. However, i didn't care much for the overarching plot of chapter one until those final moments, some of the subplots were interesting (The Ghost Camp and the Killiks on Alderaan) and several of the characters were Memorable (Watcher X) but the main plot just never did anything for me and the five minuets of OhMyGosh at the end just didn't make up for having to slog though all that dull, dull, dull, dull, exposition. Chapter 2 on the other hand is easily the best chapter of any class story in the game, I could go on and on about my love for chapter 2. Chapter 3 starts out strong but the plot lagged in my opinion on Voss (Even with the cool throwback to your work on hutta) before picking up again on Corellia. This would probably have beaten the Knight out for the #5 spot of it hadn't been for one tiny little thing called character assassination. In the final moments against one of the best antagonists in the game Bioware pulled a stunt, a meaningless stunt for shock value that altered who the villain was all so the male agent could kiss them, and remove all the previous sexual undertones written. That one moment destroyed the agent story for me, cheapened it. That as well as the dull as dishwater chapter one are why this class is in the bottom two.

The companions are also either hit or miss. Kaliyo could have been fun if any reason at all had been given for her behavior, I'm sorry, Sociopath just cuz' just doesn't cut it with me in the character department. Vector was interesting if a little subdued but I liked him. Dr. Lokin was fascinating as was Scorpio, and Temple... just kind of felt there.

#8 Trooper - I agree with another poster who says this story is underrated and it is, but personally I just don't like it very much after chapter 1. Chapter 1 is a very strong entry as you rebuild your squad and hunt down Havoc Squad's former members. Personally, I felt there should have been more opportunities to save the old squad, only Needles in my opinion was truly irredeemable. Things take a turn for the worst in chapter 2 as the plot quickly becomes paper thin, even if the finale is awesome and then we have Rakton in chapter 3 who is similar to the voidwolf in that he just kind of pops in mention at the start of chapter 2 and then hangs over you like a cloud in chapter 3, the difference being he doesn't create quite the sense of urgency the voidwolf does.

The companions are all great, even if it did take me a long time to get to like both Vik and Yuun. But what do you expect when the plot of chapter 2 was "The enemy has a super weapon, go get companion 4 and 5 to blow it up."

Imperial Agent, by a country mile. In fact the 'downside' to this is that it makes the writing of the other class stories distinctly average at times. To my mind it's where all the effort went into when writing - even the companion conversations and missions seem to tie in and are linked.

Inquisitor - not bad - humble beginnings and work your way up sort of thing - the path there is pretty good, although the weak point imo is that the reason the big bad wants to kill you is a little lame - they could have come up with a more definitive reason.

Smuggler - some funny points although I think they missed out on making him an actual smuggler - seems more like a drafted soldier most of the time.

BH - Okay - no thrills.

Knight - predictable good versus evil stuff. Very 'by the numbers'

SW - Work for paranoid, psychopathic master, kill people for paranoid, psychopathic master, become latest enemy of paranoid, psychopathic master. Kill him. The end.

Trooper / Consular - not done yet.

For the record, all my characters are male

1. Sith Inquisitor/Smuggler- I usually play these characters mostly LS. They're my favorites because of the comedic responses you can give. Especially the smuggler who should get an achievement "mack of the year" for flirting with every female he meets. They're also the most fun classes to play. Specifically the lightning sorcerer & gunslinger.

2. Sith Warrior- From start to the "end" of KotFE THIS is the character I'm willing to do alliance stuff with. It's the story that truly feels like the Rise of a Sith Lord.

3. Jedi Knight - Think "EU Legends" version of Luke Skywalker.....Nuff said.

4. BH - Love nearly all the companions, but the end of chapt 3 was only average at best imo

5. Agent - love the story, hate the play style & the companions.

6. J.C. - Chapt 1 was very interesting, Chapt 2 was a OK, Chapt 3 was great! (I didn't see that ending coming :eek: ) However his moves were BORING. Inquisitors have awesome lightning attacks....JC throws rocks :confused:

7. Trooper - I've only been able to finish it once. I tried again and only made it to about lvl 30.....that was 2yrs ago....it's STILL sitting there.

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

WARNING SPOILERS

Sith Warrior: just great all around, great voice acting and overall production values in cut scenes, satisfying story that makes sense played as dark or light side, great companions and probably the biggest influence one can have on a companion in Jessea with the choice of making her dark or light side

Jedi Knight: played it as a dark side "for the republic, die imperial scum" story and worked out great that way, was even surprised that the ending took into account the dark or light side alignment (even through didn't get my General tittle due to people whining in the beta about not being a master -.-)

Jedi Consular: Horribly underrated imo, it's amazing at what it does, granted I don't think it would make any sense playing it as dark side, but the amount of times I got sith to give up and contemplate on their eh "sith-nes" was pretty great, so playing it as light side was a great choice, also liked the army building and how you roll into corelia as the leader of a multi national army to crush the empire

Trooper: does what it sets out to do, be the military sci fi story of swtor, I know people compain about the missions not being related and there not being some big overarching plot but i think those people are missing the point of a more or less standard soldier story, you get send on missions, you do the mission that's all i wanted and it's exactly what I got

Bounty Hunter: it's very similar to the Trooper, you are a bounty hunter and you hunt well bounties, again does exactly what it sets out to do, the only reason I'd rate it lower was due to mother****ing Tyresius Lokai, I played my BH as a bloodthirsty maniac who always gets the target and there isn't a single decent reason presented why my bounty hunter would ever let him live

Smuggler: probably the most lighthearted story of them all, full of flirting, one liners and comedy, but in the end kinda feels like a side story

Imperial Agent: horribly overrated, the first two chapters are fine, just as the bounty hunter and trooper it sets out to be the secret agent story of swtor and it does that job well enough, but then chapter 3 comes around and someone accidentally threw a Dan Brown novel into my spy story, i still think the Star Cabal is utter ******** and cheapens the actions of all the heroes of the 7 other stories, plus some bad-ish companions (I think we all know who i mean)

Sith Inquisitor: while I enjoyed pretty much all of the other 7 stories, this one is just pure **** after Korriban, it starts out amazing probably the best starting planet out of all the classes but then just takes a nose dive into oblivion, where to even begin. First off, my character was an utter *********** moron, my ghost grandpa flat out calls me an idiot and he is right, multiple times in a row the supposed scholar class charges into an unknown situation without bothering to look up **** (I honestly wonder if the sith inquisitor even knows how to read) and then has to pulled out of it by someone else, be it ghost grandpa (who comes back to save your *** for a third or fourth time after just telling he won't save you anymore) or one of your companions, the "brilliant" idea of act 2 being ghost busters IN SPAAACE and the even better idea of act 3 being "oopsie I didn't read the warning label and now I have to spend 2 planets fixing what I've been doing all of act 2" with some interlude of a random moff calling you to tell you that you are now BFFs, why didn't my character try to build up a power base apart from that cult, instead of me not being a moron and figuring out I'll need support and going to go and find it I just get a random call out of the blue from a guy I've never seen or interacted with before (at least i don't remember to have done it)? Or the other stupidity of the main bad guy leaving you for dead after telling you he won't leave you for dead. it's just missed opportunity after missed opportunity. I didn't succeed because of my cunning, or brutality or knowledge of the force, I just stumbled into success

then there are the companions... Khem is saved by the Zash thing, Archeology dude is okay, pirate guy is non entity and I don't think anyone would even notice he is gone, Ashara is the stupidest jedi in the galaxy and I have no idea why apprentice dude even exist he has something like 5 lines most of which are "me smash" feels as if bioware figured out at the end that they are one companion short

Bounty Hunter, all the way.

As much as I've played this game, I'm totally disillusioned by the choice wheel. Light, dark....it's almost all shallow and obvious, and what isn't is usually well hidden by misleading choice wheel options.

So, my new go-to response is to find the most snarky, outrageous comments, and the bounty hunter does not fail to deliver a fairly steady stream of great one-liners.

Agent was alright; inquisitor (dark) was alright; warrior (light) was alright; I still spacebar through the republic stories.

Additionally, with the changes to companions, there's far more benefit to letting your companion "decide" for you, by trying out different options to find what produces the most companion influence. This never was an issue back in the day, but now plays a potentially major role. The natural flow now is to follow whichever path your first companion is most likely to support.

Edited by Ansultares

most satisfying overall for me was SW and Imp Agent, but i felt Inquisitor had the best chapter 3 ending of all the classes.

personally SW = Imp Agent = Inquisitor > JK > Smuggler >>> BH = Consular = Trooper

for VA's it's: fem Imp Agent > fem BH > fem Inquisitor > male SW > male Inquisitor > male Imp Agent > male BH > male Smuggler > fem Trooper > fem Smuggler > male Trooper >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jedis (no emotion/passion = no personality = boring)

Let me start by saying these following comments are simply my personal opinion and I highly value everyone else's so they are in no way meant to undermine anyone else's opinions. I will try to post "whys" the best I can without including any real spoilers as I dont want to ruin anything for anyone else.

That said, I have played 7 of the stories thru Ch3. All female and mostly lightside. I found that when I tried to play straight dark chars I didnt feel right. It felt like they were being evil just to be a douche and not really for a legit reason or to have an actual effect on the story. I did play 1 char thru Ch3 with a mix of choices and I found I liked that best so I started another and am working on her as I see fit as well without gravitating towards strict light or dark. It seems more fun and legit that way story wise.

Out of all the stories I have only really enjoyed 1. A couple others were "ok" but most I found lackluster and way too predictable. I am surprised to say that the story I came to this game for would prolly rank #3 for me if I had to make a list. Since it was asked for here is mine:

1) Inquisitor. Female, full light side. This was the only story I couldnt predict. Story wise it was great IMO and as a LS it was a lot of fun. I felt connected to my char and felt like she truly could effect the galaxy and bring change. It also helped that this char had my 2nd fave romance option so I had a likable companion to run around with. My only complaint would be that this char felt the most "young and reckless". She was constantly getting into trouble and doing things I felt she should have been too smart to do/fall for. I felt her companions were the smartest and most connected to the story in the game and they really shouldnt have let her do all that stupid stuff lol.

2) Smuggler. This was prolly the single most predictable story for me. I literally predicted it from beginning to end, telling my husband "watch this happen now" and sure enough lol. This is the char I played fully by choice although I regret a few choices and would have liked to see how the story would have played out with a different choice just for fun (Skavak being a big one). Why is this number 2 then? Well all the quips, that's why. The choices I made usually left me in giggles. This girl had sass and sarcasm to spare and I related to that a lot. The story also had the best flow for me despite being predictable. You followed the same bad guy and worked with the same core group. It didnt jump all over the place leaving you wondering "wait what?" like some other stories did.

3) BH. BH has Torian and Mandalorians so I am biased towards this story. But the story itself was lackluster and had a lot of missed opportunities. Aside from Torian and the stuff with Madalore etc it was a bit boring and very rinse/repeat. Throw in that it also had the only companion in game I truly HATE and it made it a bit harder for me to get into. Some other companions are lame (boring as heck), or obnoxious in ways but for me they were easier to deal with than Mako. I HATED her with a passion. And you have to drag her everywhere for the longest time before you get Gault. >.<

For me the worst stories were both Jedi (boring as heck and lame to boot) and Agent. I know a lot of people love the Agent story but I didnt because I didnt feel like I had any control over the story outcome. I purposefully ESC out of most of the options to try something else to see if it would change but found ALL 3 options had the exact same result. You were FORCED to have someone control your body, mind, and actions no matter what and I really didnt like that at all. I wanted more spy and intrigue and I didnt feel that at all with that story. Just the same old boring deceit and BS of the other stories. My favorite part of that story was marrying the guy on Voss then marrying my companion and finding myself with 2 husbands at the same time lol. It was the only time in the story I felt control over my char's actions and was amused.

Well that is my 2 cents and TL;DR lol I know. Im sorry. :p