Next two playable races

Lyrinna

Im gonna be blunt.

We desperatly need a small stature race.

Be it Jawa or Yoda's race (would rather not the pig -race and elephant races but they also fit the bill).

I know many people that enjoy having midget characters and SWTOR isnt delivering for them.

Edited by Nemmar

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna be blunt.

We desperatly need a small stature race.

Be it Jawa or Yoda's race (would rather not the pig -race and elephant races but they also fit the bill).

I know many people that enjoy having midget characters and SWTOR isnt delivering for them.

Unless they completely redesign the way the models work, its not happening. As he said, there is a huge amount of work that goes into the "standard" model we have now. We will only see small models if there is a major expansion to the game and they even put the time into it.

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

Aside from the fact that I'm dying for a Togruta - and it pains me to hear that, let's talk about what you've got here.

#1 We don't have the customization options we've come to expect. There are a few pre-made faces (one, if you play a Sith - they all look EXACTLY the same within each body type) to choose from, and I can choose a few dangly things or paint to throw on it. That's it for all races. I can't tell you how many times I've run into my clone in-game. Heck, I thought I was being unique with some of my choices for a cyborg character, and grouped with a player who had EXACTLY the same thing. I think many of us would be fine with extra aliens using only the appearances of those aliens that are already in-game. That's practically all we have to begin with.

#2 It kind of does feel like you're throwing cold water on the discussion. When you tell us you should know about Cathar "soon-ish", well - when? For cryin' out loud? You announced the possibility - it's gotta be six months or more in the past, I don't even remember anymore, and we still don't even have an availability guess for them. You guys have abused the word "soon" so much that it's absolutely meaningless. Let's say - optimistically, that we can play Cathar within three months. That's nine months from announcement to implementation. Let's say - with ridiculous optimism, that everyone buys the race, everyone loves it, the game turns into Cat Wars, and you decide to jump on that cash cow ASAP, announcing a new playable species three months after Cathar are made available. If it takes you even half that time to implement the new one (Togruta are at the top of that list - we hope you go with it, but if it's as hard as you say, I'm being optimistic AGAIN,) it'll still be almost a year before I get something other than Cathar. Will I still be rolling alts by then? I seriously hope you have a legitimate xpac up your sleeves, because if you don't, I fear that no one will have a reason to buy into a second additional species.

That puts a new species, at best, in December of this year. If I'm still around, I'll have been playing for two years. That's quite a long time to wait.

I get it. Your job is hard. Coding is hard. None of us know how to do it. Know what else is hard? I teach inner-city kids who started speaking English a few years ago and read more poorly than my first grader to pass the proficiency exam in reading and writing. That's hard too. Are there plenty of excuses about why it's hard to do, why I might not even be able to at all? You bet. Do any of those excuses matter? Nope. I do it, successfully, twice a year. That's what I'm paid to do, so, impossible task that it is - and since I want to keep getting paid, I just do it. I work long hours. I go to school and learn new techniques. I'm constantly in touch with my "customers" and getting feedback. At the end of the day, I must give my "customers" what they need, or they quit. I don't think it's too much to ask the same of a company I pay on a monthly basis.

No more soon. No more excuses. We'll pay you! We promise! Just do it!

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

Aside from the fact that I'm dying for a Togruta - and it pains me to hear that, let's talk about what you've got here.

#1 We don't have the customization options we've come to expect. There are a few pre-made faces (one, if you play a Sith - they all look EXACTLY the same within each body type) to choose from, and I can choose a few dangly things or paint to throw on it. That's it for all races. I can't tell you how many times I've run into my clone in-game. Heck, I thought I was being unique with some of my choices for a cyborg character, and grouped with a player who had EXACTLY the same thing. I think many of us would be fine with extra aliens using only the appearances of those aliens that are already in-game. That's practically all we have to begin with.

#2 It kind of does feel like you're throwing cold water on the discussion. When you tell us you should know about Cathar "soon-ish", well - when? For cryin' out loud? You announced the possibility - it's gotta be six months or more in the past, I don't even remember anymore, and we still don't even have an availability guess for them. You guys have abused the word "soon" so much that it's absolutely meaningless. Let's say - optimistically, that we can play Cathar within three months. That's nine months from announcement to implementation. Let's say - with ridiculous optimism, that everyone buys the race, everyone loves it, the game turns into Cat Wars, and you decide to jump on that cash cow ASAP, announcing a new playable species three months after Cathar are made available. If it takes you even half that time to implement the new one (Togruta are at the top of that list - we hope you go with it, but if it's as hard as you say, I'm being optimistic AGAIN,) it'll still be almost a year before I get something other than Cathar. Will I still be rolling alts by then? I seriously hope you have a legitimate xpac up your sleeves, because if you don't, I fear that no one will have a reason to buy into a second additional species.

That puts a new species, at best, in December of this year. If I'm still around, I'll have been playing for two years. That's quite a long time to wait.

I get it. Your job is hard. Coding is hard. None of us know how to do it. Know what else is hard? I teach inner-city kids who started speaking English a few years ago and read more poorly than my first grader to pass the proficiency exam in reading and writing. That's hard too. Are there plenty of excuses about why it's hard to do, why I might not even be able to at all? You bet. Do any of those excuses matter? Nope. I do it, successfully, twice a year. That's what I'm paid to do, so, impossible task that it is - and since I want to keep getting paid, I just do it. I work long hours. I go to school and learn new techniques. I'm constantly in touch with my "customers" and getting feedback. At the end of the day, I must give my "customers" what they need, or they quit. I don't think it's too much to ask the same of a company I pay on a monthly basis.

No more soon. No more excuses. We'll pay you! We promise! Just do it!

agree 1000%!!!!! thank you!!!

How do you know that that will be how it happens? Cause if you are an Imperial Chiss and you speak to the Chiss on Hoth, you can actually learn more about the Individual Chiss that you talk to because the Chiss only open up to other Chiss. Meaning, as an Imperial Chiss on Hoth you get extra lines of Dialogue when talking to some of the NPC's on Hoth.

So, how do you know that that couldn't be how it's done for the Voss if they were to ever add them. I think that the better example for what you were driving at, would be if they were to ever allow Players to play as the Gormack.

Cause they would have to re-record the Voss dialogue and the player dialogue and re-write many of the quests and completely rework aspects where you are given any honours making mention of a non voss. Could they do it sure, but given they are having a hard enough time for Cathar to be added, rewritting quests and dialogue doesn't seem likely.

I can't see the appeal of Togruta, they seem very similar to Twi'lek and most notiable member is an annoying Padwane in the Clone Wars Cartoons. Who seemed to be added to appeal to the younger fans so can't see them as adding anything unique to the choice of species. If I want to place a specie that has head-tails there is one, maybe not ideal but if they are looking to charge for new species is something that isn't currently an option. Of which there is an impressively long list of any species that isn't a coloured human i.e. Trandoshian, Rodiean, Bothan, Kel Dor, Gran, Mon Cal, etc etc etc.

Why are people being so ridiculously unrealistic? BW are not going to reinvent their playable species list without incentive. So, if you eventually want Kel Dor, Togruta, Nautolan etc. (I know I do) then we have to put up with some closer-to-human species for a while.

Here's the criteria:

- Must not only speak basic, but must not look stupid using the already-recorded voices in the game.

Even if a Trandoshan can speak Basic, he's not going to sound like ANY of the voices recorded so far. BW are not going to re-record hundreds of hours of voice work for one species.

- Must use a standard character skeleton

Ithorians would look awkward on the standard skeleton. Any species with proportions different to the standard human would be time consuming and difficult to implement. Not going to happen any time soon

- Must be able to use existing armor

Itkotchi and Devaronian could MAYBE get away with it here, since like the Twi'Lek their horns can protrude out of helmets. But Wookiees? No. Duros? No. Mon Cal? No. Togruta seems unlikely to be easy.

- Must make sense as ALL classes

BW are only going to release species that can play as all classes - at least for now. Case in point: No Jawa Jedi. No droid Sith. Just... no.

- Romance

As much as I love Kel Dor, if they can't kiss they won't make it. Romance has become an important part of the story for so many, but if you think Plo Koon kissing Kira Carsen might look stupid, I think you're right.

You'll notice that Cathar meets all of these criteria.

My personal choices that meet these criteria are Zeltron and Falleen.

Others that meet criteria are other near-human species like Arkanians, Kiffar etc.

I'd like more companions in future updates that are consisted of the more exotic races. A Nautolan second apprentice for Jedi Knight? Perfect!

BioWare is a business. You can't volunteer your time to make models for them because of licensing and contracting terms. You can't expect all races to be made playable. Don't berate BW devs for prioritising what the majority of people want instead of what a singular few want. I plan on playing this game for years - I'm willing to be patient.

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

I just wanted to mention two suggestions or, rather two races that could be an "easy" or exception to the rule.

By no means am i a game developer, and i know everyone has an easy fix. :rolleyes:

However, what about a wookie race and a droid race?

Races like these for the most part don't need to have any additional customization after initial creation.

And not to speak for everyone, but i think many would agree.

If it was noted when creating them, that they are what they are when you make them, people would be happy with that. I could see down the line if you add in a "barbershop" you could change droid "Heads" or body types, but aside from that i would be happy to see some variety to all the human-esk players around me. I think their is a decent pool of species, that you can start to consider pulling from that aside from initial customization people would be content with for a long while.

Also, as far as we will most likely only have English speaking races kinda bothers me.

Far as i can tell when we are doing quests and story its on our own end, and if a player wants to sit and listen to that let them, that would be their decision when they make a character, if you don't want to hear mumbo-jumbo and growling gorillas then make a human race. Let the player decide. Jeez.

Edited by FontusSW

What ever they want to say about impementation is ridiculous. How much effort really went into the species we have now; for cryin out loud we have cyborg and the blind ones. That is not much work on those two species.

The following species could be created with out changing the body at all. Simple head change and all of these speak basic.

-------------------------

Sullustan (there is a basic speaking NPC on Taris and now one in clone wars cartoon)

Cerean http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cerean

Devaronian

Voss

Wee-quay

Bith (Pretty certain that Darth Tenabris spoke basic)

Nautolan http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nautolan

Torguta (despite what they say about cliping, if Ashara can be used then it can be done)

Charian http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chagrian

---------------------------------

Why are people being so ridiculously unrealistic? BW are not going to reinvent their playable species list without incentive. So, if you eventually want Kel Dor, Togruta, Nautolan etc. (I know I do) then we have to put up with some closer-to-human species for a while.

Here's the criteria:

- Must not only speak basic, but must not look stupid using the already-recorded voices in the game.

Even if a Trandoshan can speak Basic, he's not going to sound like ANY of the voices recorded so far. BW are not going to re-record hundreds of hours of voice work for one species.

Ithorians would look awkward on the standard skeleton. Any species with proportions different to the standard human would be time consuming and difficult to implement. Not going to happen any time soon

Itkotchi and Devaronian could MAYBE get away with it here, since like the Twi'Lek their horns can protrude out of helmets. But Wookiees? No. Duros? No. Mon Cal? No. Togruta seems unlikely to be easy.

BW are only going to release species that can play as all classes - at least for now. Case in point: No Jawa Jedi. No droid Sith. Just... no.

- Romance

As much as I love Kel Dor, if they can't kiss they won't make it. Romance has become an important part of the story for so many, but if you think Plo Koon kissing Kira Carsen might look stupid, I think you're right.

Others that meet criteria are other near-human species like Arkanians, Kiffar etc.

I'd like more companions in future updates that are consisted of the more exotic races. A Nautolan second apprentice for Jedi Knight? Perfect!

BioWare is a business. You can't volunteer your time to make models for them because of licensing and contracting terms. You can't expect all races to be made playable. Don't berate BW devs for prioritising what the majority of people want instead of what a singular few want. I plan on playing this game for years - I'm willing to be patient.

A very eminently logical post. People will ignore it, insult you for stating the facts, or bring up points that make no sense.

I'm tempted to list out why the various specious counter-arguments brought up make no sense, but it's hardly worth the effort. What this thread has shown us is that when BW makes the attempt to be transparent and clearly explain their reasoning, logic, and the reasons behind a decision, people still aren't happy.

I'm hardly a BW fan , as anyone can see from my posts -- but this is ridiculous. The person a few posts back who decided to launch a screaming invective against the Devs should have his forum account deleted because they are in no way contributing to the contribution.

My only two criteria...

can wear existing armor and have it all visible

can speak basic. I agree with the dev team, and I'm sure I would want to stick my face in a fan after about half an hour of "arlgkle bwarlkdarklgel mgglekkes farkelschnarkel" over and over and over again. I hate companions that don't speak basic, tbh.

My choices:

Rodian (yes, they can speak basic if they choose)

Duros

Edited by bahdasz

Kel Dor and Kel Dor

Who cares about romances. I want a playable Kel Dor NOW! And jedi should not be romancing in the first place. Just disable romances for them or make any human reject you and it will be fine.

Edited by Aelther

In the business world its a very bad thing to tell your customer "its costs to much" it makes your product look bad and it makes me your customer think your bieng cheap.

Heres my question why wasnt any of this considered in beta when i gave feedback about wookies and alien races? Your going about it cost to much again well weve lost 1 million people and counting weve lost a whole niche market for tor by people who like to play wookies and other alien races like they did in swg "because it cost to much" The cathar just looks like a person from the broadway musical cats lol. Its just once again repainting a human.

If you havent noticed damion there isnt any real unique races in tor. The chiss is just a human painted blue, sith pureblood are red humans and so on and so on. Your talking about giving us a level of customization when we dont have that even know its very poor

Overall what i hear is b/c of voice over and cut scenes we cant have "REAL" alien races i.e wookies rodians non human skin models and b/c this isnt tiger woods EA isnt willing to invest time and money into a worthwhile investment and would honestly bring back players into the game that were run off from the get go by tor b/c of voice overs/cut scenes

If you want to make money you have to invest it focusing on the store and legacy is not going to do that wookies, rodians REAL uniquie aliens will. I honestly believe if it werent for voiceovers we would have had a bigger selection of races and wookies. Voice overs isnt everything /shakes head

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi'leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

Edited by publicenemies

So i put the following in a post about RP. I decided share it here as well.

The question was asked about storytelling system in SWG.

At this point i want stuff other than humans, and i would not mind seeing something like the following impelmented.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING REFERS TO ""SWG""

Storyteller in SWG brought my absolute favorite element, COSTUMES

I collected the heck out of them.

Basically you could load a holo-costume that would turn your character into a generic character.

They could not be used in combat (you would just turn back to normal) but some had Emotes.

So here is a list of the costumes i had and could turn into in SWG when ever i got tired of being a Sullustan.

JAWA

HUTT

RANCOR

WOMPA

GUNGAN (oddly spent alot of time in that one following people around Mos Eisley, lol)

Gamorrean Guard

Geonosian

Chiss

Dark Trooper

Exar Kun Cultist

A burning Ewok (some weird stuff came out)

An IG-88 Style Droid

MYNOCK (Thats right the litte insect/bats from empire, this costume was awesome because i could fly so i used it for travel)

I Also got epic heros -----------They are good for role play, since you could create your own quests, but even better for screen shots lol---

Boba Fett

Han Solo

Luke

Lando

Darth Vader.

No short Supply in SWG on options to play different species. Collecting them was half the fun of them being available.

------------------------------------------

Something as simple as a costume system could at least give us some alien species, I also suggested aliens heads that work as helmets and go in the helmet slot.

The current kids game, clone wars adventures apparently has a similar holo-costume system.

Kel Dor and Kel Dor

Who cares about romances. I want a playable Kel Dor NOW! And jedi should not be romancing in the first place. Just disable romances for them or make any human reject you and it will be fine.

Clearly this seems to be a possibility that many tend to look over. I mean you want to play as a Kel Dor but you're worried it may affect the relationships? Simply restrict who they can romance, either very few or none at all. Problem solved.

Edited by Vitas

Here's the criteria:

- Romance

I'm sorry but I find that adding more species that are human or near human is just boring. How many human species do we need? Put armor on them and they all look alike! I can't get BioWare to change their minds but I can vote with my wallet and with my words.

Here's the criteria:

- Romance

I fully agree that people have to be realistic about what they ask or think will be implamented, though in your list I find Voice and Romance options to be less important. As voice is linked to class not species I already marvel that Sith Warrior sounds the same when I am on a FP despite being different species. And to say this species would sound different so shouldn't be added they should all sound slightly different and not every species that works with the empire would have an English accent.

As for Romance, the fade to black romance isn't that vital a part of the game play to me that I think 200 hours of playing an alien species would make me nerd rage that I missed a fade to black. Obviously not as easy and would take more work removing these options. But if they put a massive disclaimer saying at certain points you will not have a [Flirt] or [Kiss] option and will not be able to romance companion and NPCs I think people can weigh up how important it is for them.

I don't believe that many people will pay 15 bucks (and it could be more given thats what we pay for some recoloured armour) to play a white or grey Human. Even if they are easy to add whats the point and would we all be expected to purchase them in the hope that once every near human has been added we might see something recognisable as an alien.

Even looking at the screenshots of Cathar they are fairly unremarkable as a feline species. Talk of all the work that has gone into them if you look at other MMO's that have included a feline species they often look far more feline than the screen shots of cathar. Who look more like face painted humans with bad hair cuts. And then we are told if they don't sell there wont be any more species so like them or not you have to purchase if you hope to see any more. And is this a ploy, no matter how many are purchased no more species will be added. Cause I remember a year ago Erickson said it wouldn't be difficult to add more species? Why did he lie to the community who have had to wait over a year for the first new species.

The following is a list of species I would like to buy/play in SWTOR. Each species has at-least one example of a force-user, and as I have explained previously there is a quest that takes care of the need for the character to naturally speak basic. However, if you do not like the idea of technology in a highly advanced civilization(such as those in Star Wars) being implemented to alter the natural speaking patterns of a species I have labeled those that are able to speak basic naturally. (alphabetical order):

SPECIES (BASIC)

Arcona (basic)

Chagrian (basic)

Celegian (telepath so language is not an issue)

Dazouri (basic)

Devaronian (basic)

Duinuogwuin (basic)

Duros (basic)

Elomin (basic)

Falleen (basic)

Givin (?)

Ice Demon (?)

Kaleesh (basic)

Kel Dor (basic)

Jawa (no)

Mon Calamari (basic)

Neimoidian (basic)

Ongree (no)

Rodian (basic)

Selkath (?)

Talortai (?)

Togruta (basic)

Yoda's species (basic)

Wookiee (no)

For the species that would have armor clipping problems: make them like the companions such as Khem Val and just give different customizations.

If any other species were implemented I would play them if they were not purchased as standalone items i.e. as a part of an expansion not an individual cartel item.

I suspect that the only way that Bioware will take note that people want more alien species is if everyone voted with their wallet and left of course the only problem with that is that once you stop subbing you can't vote. Personaly I have unsubbed twice stating that the lack of decent playable species is my major concern. Then I check in on the forums to see if anything has changed to make me come back and I see threads like this and I feal that if I dont resub and voice my concerns and issues then nothing will change and so even just by having a dev responce and people with the same thoughts as myself posting they have got an extra months sub off of me.

Now I have posted in a lot of species request posts, and in most the people who want to play and pay for new species always come up with the same arguments.

1) Disable romance if it is such a game breaker, a fade to black screen is not worth not being able to play the species I want.

2) Dissable head slots on species with strange heads, most people I know have this turned off anyway. Most people who want to play an alien will see this as a small price to pay

3) Voiceovers, my SIth Pure Blood, mt Twi-lek and and my human sith Inquisitor all had the same voices who cares if a Trandoshan, a Kel Dor and a Rodian all have the same voices. There is little scripted chat in end game, and end game flash points Roleplayers would rather have speah bubbles and tell there own story and most other players use space bar once they have done the flash point 10 times.

As some people have already mentioned before launch we were told if people wanted more species they would be added. Well still waiting and we also got this Gem on the 15/May/2012

Daniel Erickson Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand… this year.

As most of us know it is now in 2013 and the species roster has not expladed and the only one on the books looks to be Cathar.

Personaly I dont want another near human I want an Alien species. A Kel'dor a Gran a Mon Cal, a Rodian something I can feel is my own character. As has been said the only 2 things I can do is vote with my voice and my wallet. Unfortunatly once you vote with your wallet you cant vote with your voice. I would be more than happy to spend 30 bucks or 50 bucks on a new species. But there is no reason for BW to do this when people will buy an even skimper slave girl outfit fot 15 bucks and thats no development time at all.

@Sage why no Duros?

You know what? I take this one back. Duros have large heads - just scale the helmets. Perhaps a tricky one to implement but surely not impossible?

1) Disable romance if it is such a game breaker, a fade to black screen is not worth not being able to play the species I want.

2) Dissable head slots on species with strange heads, most people I know have this turned off anyway. Most people who want to play an alien will see this as a small price to pay

3) Voiceovers, my SIth Pure Blood, mt Twi-lek and and my human sith Inquisitor all had the same voices who cares if a Trandoshan, a Kel Dor and a Rodian all have the same voices. There is little scripted chat in end game, and end game flash points Roleplayers would rather have speah bubbles and tell there own story and most other players use space bar once they have done the flash point 10 times.

1) Okay, I understand the points about the fade-to-black romance. But people are only talking about the actual "sex scene" part. Some players might actually enjoy the romance storyline. And considering the amount of call from the players over same-sex romance, I don't think BioWare wants to just cut it in order to get certain species into the game. Having said that, it's certainly not impossible and a good workaround for when they decide to do it. I just don't see it being a priority.

2) Again, a decent workaround. I also have my helmet off on most of my characters. Still not a priority over compatible species IMO. This is probably the most realistic compromise that BW will make in the forseeable future. Brings in Duros, Iktochi, Devaronian (probably only males though?), Mon Cal, Neimoidian, Nautolan, Cerean... for a start.

3.) Kel Dor could probably just use the echo sound like wearing a helmet. Trandoshans don't sound like humans at all from what I've seen. And can Rodians even speak basic? This may be suitable for those who simply PvP and play endgame, but as a roleplayer I'm not willing to sacrifice... "realism".

If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent. I think that is as far away from human we are going to get.

Lucasarts have already said NO to wookies as jedi/sith and the "Yoda race" as playable in the past to other developers, so I highly doubt we will ever see them.

Edited by NasherUK

If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent.

Talking about hundreds of hours of dialogue here. Almost definitely off the cards. The implementation would be difficult, too, since at present each class only has two sets of voice recordings based on gender not species. That's a whole lot of re-coding.

I think the best we can hope for is more voice morphs like the helmet echo but maybe more of a raspy morph?

If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent. I think that is as far away from human we are going to get.

Lucasarts have already said NO to wookies as jedi/sith and the "Yoda race" as playable in the past to other developers, so I highly doubt we will ever see them.

They've actually recently introduced more Wookiee Jedi characters into the Star Wars universe. BioWare have yet to ask if they could allow players to create Wookiee Jedis so there's still a chance, plus it would be non-canon. In addition Star Wars Galaxies allowed you to create Wookiee Jedi.

I think Yoda's species would be more acceptable as a companion since little of their background would have to be revealed, even through dialogue.

Edited by Vitas

Originally they said if they wanted to add a new species it would be by expansion so a Trandoshan would get completly new start planet new voice acting and new sub quests through the game. However at this point they expected a WOW killer and not a 500 - 1mill subscription base.

Also when they first planned the game they had simple rules like no Sith Pureblood Sith Inquisotrs because it broke the law of the story and a number of dialogs. Now we have Sith PureBlood Troopers, Smuglers and Jedi Knights. We have Chiss as Sith Warriors and soon we will have Cathar as Imperials. I think its safe to say the old rules are out the window and the new rule is how much will the change cost and how much will they make from it.