Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Those endless patches have already got under my skin...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Those endless patches have already got under my skin...

Dzinton
04.08.2016 , 11:32 AM | #1
I'm not a teenager for a long time, I must work every day, so I have much less time to play computer games than I'd prefer. Mostly I play on weekends, but sometimes I find an hour or so to play SWTOR on work days. Or rather I try to but I can't - because my computer just loves to to download new patches every other week or so. Having half an hour of free time, I start the game client - and all I can see is a slooooooooooooowly progressing verification and downloading bar. While every new chapter is an awaited sequel, it ALWAYS means a new patch installation AND at least one (often two or three) subsequent sub-patches (A, B, C, D...X, Y, Z or whatever) in a week or so. And add to it periodic maintenance windows when SWTOR servers are inaccessible due to technical reasons.

Guys, I'm subscriber. Every minute I can't play the game is STOLEN from me. I literraly lose money by looking at those progress bars. Are you practically joking, or it's just something wrong with your hands and heads? Or you simply have nothing more to do but to re-release every patch several times? Why can't you release fully tested patches that shouldn't be corrected right away? Where is your quality control, beta testers and so on?

I'm starting wondering if I should extend my subscription. Maybe it'd be better to stop playing for several months hoping than in the end you'll finish releasing new patches, and I'll be able to play wherever I want.

CrazyCT
04.08.2016 , 11:43 AM | #2
First off, you aren't "literally losing money". I understand you are upset, but it doesn't cost you extra to patch. Maybe try running the patch when you are sleeping or eating. I usually just go and read a book when the game is down, or applying a patch.

That said, are you running the infamous BitRaider? I know a lot of people have had problems with updates because of it. Try removing it (I'll link a guide when I find a good one) - it takes a bit of time since the whole game has to be downloaded again, but it should speed up the patching process in future.

The reason for the patches is to add more content, maintain the current content, and to fix bugs that have been introduced to the program - if they didn't patch, the game would break a lot more often, and there would be no new content (people, please don't comment "what content?", there are plenty of other threads for that). Patching and maintaining is crucial to the running of the game, and will always be part of it (until that day finally comes when Madcuzbad can say "Told you.")

EDIT: How to remove Bitraider
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Andryah
04.08.2016 , 11:51 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dzinton View Post
Guys, I'm subscriber. Every minute I can't play the game is STOLEN from me. I literraly lose money by looking at those progress bars.
You know, I have seen a lot of silly claims in this forum over the years, but this one might just take grand prize.

Stolen... LMAO. Have you called the police yet.. to report the theft? Hopefully you were exaggerating for effect, and not actually serious here.

Are you new to MMOs? MMOs get patched periodically. It is the nature of the genre. They also get unscheduled and emergency patches sometimes too.. to fix nasty bugs that need immediate fixes.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Aeristash
04.08.2016 , 11:57 AM | #4
I'm not a teenager for a long time, I must work every day, so I have much less time to play computer games than I'd prefer. Mostly I play on weekends, but sometimes I find an hour or so to play SWTOR on work days. Or rather I try to but I can't - because my computer just loves to to download new patches every other week or so. Having half an hour of free time, I start the game client - and all I can see is a slooooooooooooowly progressing verification and downloading bar. While every new chapter is an awaited sequel, it ALWAYS means a new patch installation AND at least one (often two or three) subsequent sub-patches (A, B, C, D...X, Y, Z or whatever) in a week or so. And add to it periodic maintenance windows when SWTOR servers are inaccessible due to technical reasons.

Guys, I'm subscriber. Every minute I can't play the game is STOLEN from me. I literraly lose money by looking at those progress bars. Are you practically joking, or it's just something wrong with your hands and heads? Or you simply have nothing more to do but to re-release every patch several times? Why can't you release fully tested patches that shouldn't be corrected right away? Where is your quality control, beta testers and so on?

I'm starting wondering if I should extend my subscription. Maybe it'd be better to stop playing for several months hoping than in the end you'll finish releasing new patches, and I'll be able to play wherever I want.
Have you seen this game? Every patch should be praised and welcomed with open arms as the fix notes are carefully read. Why you would want them to stop patching so you can play a game with broken elements is beyond me. I have no issue finding a single player game on steam to tide me over until the patching is done. Don't care how many times they patch it, as long as they fix the issues until they can fix no more.

Thoronmir
04.08.2016 , 11:59 AM | #5
Yeah, well. I'm gonna write off the hyperbole to youthful exuberance from someone who is "not a teenager for a long time." (???)

Imagine that I own a restaurant. You come in and order the Special. I explain to you that the Special changes every day. Some days, it's pancakes. Some days, it's rat turds. And you never know what that day's Special is until after you order and pay. You still order the Special. I bring you a steaming plate of rat turds. You proclaim that I stole your money because I fed you rat turds when you wanted pancakes.

Welcome to the TOS and EULA, friend. They tell us we're getting pancakes most days, but there's a caveat that allows them to feed us rat turds if they want to. And guess what? We all ordered the Special.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Becky Pepper never forgets

IanArgent
04.08.2016 , 12:00 PM | #6
The constant patching is a fairly solid sign that the game is NOT in "maintenance mode." I've mentioned this in passing, but the mechanical changes of 4.0 and the mechanics underlying the story of KotFE were as close to a top-to-bottom rewrite of the game as possible without actually making a new game on a new engine. This means that there is going to be a much higher rate of bugs, and because they're working with in-place systems that they can't tear out and start from scratch on; those bugs are going to be harder to quash and have a higher potential of fixes with side effects.

I am still surprised at how smoothly the actual mechanical changes went - there were basically no bugs related to level sync. Basically all the bugs are related to companions, items, or story/quest/conversation flags; basically database issues. Apparently very knotty ones.
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

Darimund
04.08.2016 , 12:01 PM | #7

Aww how cute, your first video game that's hosted on the internet. I know it's a scary step from Milton Bradley to digital games, but if you close your eyes, take a deep breath, and tell yourself "it'll be okay", you too can get through this transition like so many others have. Welcome to 2016.

MrBorsh
04.08.2016 , 12:05 PM | #8
Must be your internet speed. Mine was done in like 5 minutes. If you only have 5 minutes to play, then I am sorry.. No playing for you my friend.

AlrikFassbauer
04.08.2016 , 12:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MrBorsh View Post
Must be your internet speed. Mine was done in like 5 minutes. If you only have 5 minutes to play, then I am sorry.. No playing for you my friend.
This sounds very harsh in my ears.

Especially regarding people who live in rural areas where no telecom companies don't invest becaust laying cables costs far more than you will get back from these folks ...

It's like saying : "You can't exchange your car's wheels yourself ? Then I'm sorry. No car driving for you my friend."
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

xordevoreaux
04.08.2016 , 12:24 PM | #10
To the original OP, would you rather the developers not patch at all, so you have your time to play? Maintenance mode is easier for them to do. Be happy they're keeping it going.