Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Asmodesu
05.06.2018 , 06:46 AM | #4871
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
My take on this is that PC and Theron are supposed to be at the very least really close friends.
So I think Arcann is more willing to spare the PC the pain of killing a brother like figure (or a lover if you romance Theron), because he does not want our PC to feel like he feels about being the one who took his twin's life.
This. I mentioned in a different thread that the story, regardless of a player's wishes, has Lana, Theron and the PC as a very close team of close friends.. almost to the point of close siblings. It's how it's written, accepting that makes so much more of the story make sense. Even though I understand people decidedly do not want it, I understand that completely but it is the foundation of the story since SoR.

So it makes sense he doesn't want the PC to suffer over killing a brother like he did.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath

DuskIsNotAmused
05.06.2018 , 06:48 AM | #4872
Quote: Originally Posted by MrJunay View Post
I was sure that with DS PC they would together rule the galaxy, like Revan and Malak.

Any idea why Arсann begs about mercy for Theron ? Earlier in the letter he was ready to punish the traitor. Why did he change his mind to the opposite?
He does not want to see a PC a cruel executioner? Or are they friends with Theron?
Very strange...
I understand the appeal

I think it has to do with how he sees the Pc. To him the Pc is a protector of their own, exactly how they go about it varies from Pc to Pc but they protect whats theirs and are capable of mercy (proven in how they dealt with him). Also he sees Theron's crimes as greatly lesser than his own, so if you can't forgive Theron how could you forgive him? I think he is concerned that your rage will control your decision (he has some experience with that ). He identifies with him a bit aswell I expect (anyone in need of forgiveness).

Plus Theron was there when he was recruited, tied in with his entrance into the alliance.

LamiaKan
05.06.2018 , 06:53 AM | #4873
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
I agree with your points here. I also don't see him as a flabby soft follower. His personality may have softened, but he is still Arcann, and as he points out he is finally himself, not a tool or a title, not a hate and anger driven maniac. Just himself. Big growth in my opinion
I like his softer redeemed self. And softer doesn't have to mean he's a mindless follower either. Thanks Sam for sneaking his latest letter in before she left Bioware. I appreciate that she's trying to give Arcann some character development through limited means.
But, with different PCs, the dynamic of the relationship can be vastly different like @RandomName_Ru mentioned somewhere above
Quote: Originally Posted by DuskIsNotAmused View Post
I'm not worried, Arcann's never had any trouble keeping up with our Pc. He's just not had many opportunities (in cutscenes) to show his awesomeness post KotET that's all
I think that's problem here. And I'm afraid we may not have that many opportunities in the future either.

edit:
[QUOTE=MrJunay;9594347
Any idea why Arсann begs about mercy for Theron ? Earlier in the letter he was ready to punish the traitor. Why did he change his mind to the opposite?
He does not want to see a PC a cruel executioner? Or are they friends with Theron?
Very strange...[/QUOTE]
Like@Iheaca I think that he was having a second thought after the Umbara letter.

MrJunay
05.06.2018 , 06:56 AM | #4874
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
My take on this is that PC and Theron are supposed to be at the very least really close friends.
So I think Arcann is more willing to spare the PC the pain of killing a brother like figure (or a lover if you romance Theron), because he does not want our PC to feel like he feels about being the one who took his twin's life.
Yes, it is very suitable for the LS option.
But in the DS version of the relationship is not based on friendship, but in the style of "master - slave." This excludes such concepts as mercy and friendship.
Dialogue for DS PCs should be based on personal gain.

Most likely, the developers think that the DS PC can not have Arcann at all. And they made only one version of the dialogue - for the LS PC.

I think he is concerned that your rage will control your decision (he has some experience with that ). He identifies with him a bit aswell I expect (anyone in need of forgiveness).
But for the Sith to live their rage - the norm.
It turns out, Arcann refers to the "dark" PC as if he were "light".

DuskIsNotAmused
05.06.2018 , 07:03 AM | #4875
But in the DS version of the relationship is not based on friendship, but in the style of "master - slave." This excludes such concepts as mercy and friendship.

Most likely, the developers think that the DS PC can not have Arcann at all. And they made only one version of the dialogue - for the LS PC.
LS/DS don't just come in one shade, you can play them in many different ways. At the end of the day he perceives the Pc as someone capable of mercy because they showed him mercy. He may be misinterpreting their intentions in doing so and isn't that another ball of sad He's still so trusting despite Valky... but that doesn't make the behaviour incorrect for him.

Yes,
Using rage as a weapon and being controlled by your rage is not the same, he just doesn't necessarily know where your Siths line is (between the two) . Also he's Zakuulan, he may (probably doesn't) not know the details of Sith or Jedi philosophy. Nevermind that different Sith/Jedi will have their own interpretation of their respective codes.

JennyFlynn
05.06.2018 , 07:55 AM | #4876
Arcann does appear gentler and 'lighter' than he has in the past, prior to his redemption. More orientated toward forgiveness, peace, doing the right thing which is pretty great for grey/light characters. I haven't romanced him but I really appreciated what he said to my PC before she went to Nathema, that honestly touched me.

However, I think if you play a very DS character, one who's blown up the Spire with that sun reactor, who did the bombing with Kaliyo, who's killed several others--a character who's been rather ruthless and unforgiving then no, what Arcann said before Nathema makes no sense. It doesn't fit that character and he should know them better than that. I'd also consider it less likely for him to be romantically interested in such a PC because they're so much of how he himself used to be and how his father was, and the opposite of the good he's striving toward.

Thing is, there is only one Arcann and one romance path. They didn't do a DS/LS version as they did with Jaesa which is understandable but it does mean that in ways, he works better with LS/Grey PCs than with the truly evil/DS ones. Anyone who'd hoped to get a partner in crime as ruthless as themselves, dark and evil as themselves, someone to enjoy creating chaos, destruction and mayhem with, they'll be disappointed because that is not this Arcann.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

DuskIsNotAmused
05.06.2018 , 08:08 AM | #4877
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
Arcann does appear gentler and 'lighter' than he has in the past, prior to his redemption. More orientated toward forgiveness, peace, doing the right thing which is pretty great for grey/light characters. I haven't romanced him but I really appreciated what he said to my PC before she went to Nathema, that honestly touched me.

However, I think if you play a very DS character, one who's blown up the Spire with that sun reactor, who did the bombing with Kaliyo, who's killed several others--a character who's been rather ruthless and unforgiving then no, what Arcann said before Nathema makes no sense. It doesn't fit that character and he should know them better than that. I'd also consider it less likely for him to be romantically interested in such a PC because they're so much of how he himself used to be and how his father was, and the opposite of the good he's striving toward.

Thing is, there is only one Arcann and one romance path. They didn't do a DS/LS version as they did with Jaesa which is understandable but it does mean that in ways, he works better with LS/Grey PCs than with the truly evil/DS ones. Anyone who'd hoped to get a partner in crime as ruthless as themselves, dark and evil as themselves, someone to enjoy creating chaos, destruction and mayhem with, they'll be disappointed because that is not this Arcann.
I guess they assume a completely Ds Pc wouldn't have saved him? There are a few times in game when they make the reason for you to pick a Ls/Ds option only fit one line of thinking. You just end up having to pick the lesser of two evils and head cannon around it. My Pc is Neutral alignment and still often runs into this (Base game and expansions), sometimes Light/Dark seems to translate to Naive Hypocrite/Stupid Despot. But thats the difficulty of a branching game, they can only feasibly finance so many routes, they have to choose...

JennyFlynn
05.06.2018 , 08:23 AM | #4878
I guess they assume a completely Ds Pc wouldn't have saved him? There are a few times in game when they make the reason for you to pick a Ls/Ds option only fit one line of thinking. You just end up having to pick the lesser of two evils and head cannon around it. My Pc is Neutral alignment and still often runs into this (Base game and expansions), sometimes Light/Dark seems to translate to Naive Hypocrite/Stupid Despot. But thats the difficulty of a branching game, they can only feasibly finance so many routes, they have to choose...
I can definitely understand why they chose to go with only one version of Arcann, and have tried to keep him as balanced as possible for both sides. Which he is for most part and it is only in the case of extreme DS, the evil for the sake of evil "I'm Sith mhuahaha", where he doesn't quite fit. They likely did assume those characters would not spare him (overlooking the fact they might have because he's 'sexy' or was a bad boy), so they chose the direction for him which makes most sense.

Most of my PCs are all neutral/grey. Hovering between LS 2-3 or DS 2-3 at best because some of the LS choices feel overly naive whereas many DS choices make the PC sound like a braindead psychopath. I've never been able to reach rank 5 in either direction and no matter how I headcanon, some options just feel far too cruel for me to stomach. I, as the player, get sad and feel bad so I don't do it lol.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

Iheaca
05.06.2018 , 08:24 AM | #4879

But if you think about it, Lana is a Sith too, and she does not strike me as a selfish violent individual working in a "master-slave" way. Even her reaction if the PC leaves Theron for dead after Nathema is striking.
Lore gives a number of other examples of Sith that are not the pure bloodthirsty type. However, yes, you can play your character that way and in that case it does not realy fit.
The Leviathan - Nyx-Nocturna, Ihrae, Del'Ihrae, Shanti-Adamanta, Ainlanna, Ijadyia
From Ashes We Will Rise - fanfiction

Asmodesu
05.06.2018 , 08:34 AM | #4880
LS, DS and light / Dark have had no meaning since SoR started, it's gotten far more complicated then that thanks to choices. Neither do "sith" and "jedi" since people play so differently and have different views of the personality and philosophy behind both. My SI is "dark" and "sith" but she's smart enough to know assets when she sees them, and she spared Arcann to make a statement to prove she isn't the "bloodthirsty ravaging madwoman conqueror" she keeps getting painted as... Because she isn't that particular kind of Sith, she has power. that's what she wanted, she didn't need to blow worlds up for it. According to Nathema that didn't work at all *rolls eyes* for any kind of commander, but she tried.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath