Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

Like the title says I'm a little disappointed about the new sort-of "ingame barber shop". There are several reasons why but first I'm going to put the quote from the "State of the Game #3" here.

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

While I first read it I was like "Great! That is awesome!" But then I took a closer look. "...using Cartel Coins." To me this seems like too much. But first lets talk about the species change. To me that shouldn't happen because it isn't "realistic" but I found that it could be ok. The other things like hair, body, and eye color was all fine. But why with CC? This game is turning into "Your a sub but you have to pay MORE real money for basic features like a barber shop!" I could understand the species thing being in the CM, but ALL of the barber shop?! That is going too far. What next? Having to pay money for certain class abilities in the CM? :rolleyes: Whether you think so or not barber shops ARE basic features. Personally I think they should've been ingame since launch. But why do we, the players, have to pay MORE money to you for a basic feature?

I think that they should change this before they release it. BW should either take out species changing or leave it in the CM... BUT make the rest of the "Barber Shop" not cost CC. Make it ingame currency. If they don't I'm not sure how much more I can take. :mad:

Edit: I'd like to take the time to thank Bioware for *atleast* responding to this thread and posting it on the Community Roundup for other people to see, talk about and state their opinions.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id be more concerned if Cathar were only on the CM. Subs should get the new races for subbing

i think they already stated that cathar will be on the CM only. And yes all new stuff for CM sucks.

Edited by Neglience

id be more concerned if Cathar were only on the CM. Subs should get the new races for subbing

They already said Cathar was only going to be on the CM and a barber shop is NOT basic content. It should be on the market. Don't like what your characters look like, pay or roll a new one. I have rolled several new characters until I was happy with what I got.

They already said Cathar was only going to be on the CM and a barber shop is NOT basic content. It should be on the market. Don't like what your characters look like, pay or roll a new one. I have rolled several new characters until I was happy with what I got.

It may not seem like it but a barber shop IS basic content. I can see paying real money for species and MAYBE even body size changes but as for the rest (ex: hair style, tattoos etc.) that's all basic things that should be able to be changed using ingame currency (credits).

Bioware's idea of what a sub is entitled to is simply "whatever you had right up to the day before SWTOR went F2P"

This game will continue to get worse and worse as it progressively nickle and dimes subs more and more.

I miss my entertainer from SWG, who could change appearances by class ability (own and of others).

Also I am growing more and more tired, that the holy cow of raiders and PvPers remains untouchable, but for a roleplayer to experience the whole game, you are required to spend additional money, only cause you want to look good.

Something as simple as being burned in a roleplay scene or scarred... loosing facial or main hair... is impossible to play without spending money as a roleplayer... and noone cares, as it is not a FP or OP and not BiS gear.

When I heard about a barber shop coming, I had hoped, that it would be a shop in game to walk in get a dialogue and chnge your chars appearance for some credits... which would be great for roleplay. But with CCs... well... once again a slap in the face for roleplayers.

Well how expensive can character customization be? I don't expect anything beyond 100 cartel coins to be honest. And you're getting like 550 monthly. :l

I would love it to be available for in-game credits as well, though. Especially if it will come with new haircuts.

I know it shouldn't be that mush but still... why? If you are going to implement it make it cost ingame currency. It is ridiculous.

Wow, I'm shocked a forum post complaining about Cartel Coins being used for an in-game feature. You never see that around here.

I know I am dumbfounded that BW/EA actually wants to make money off of a product that they invested their money into building. Don't they understand that we are all entitled to play this game. Why do they feel like they have a right to make any money? If they had $300 million to build this game, I'm sure that they have more than enough for their needs.

I know EA is looking for a new CEO, I he/she changes their business model to include developing software & building solar panels that way they can get money from the government and allow us to play for free. That would be totally wizard:D

No where did it say how many CC something might be. You might beable to do the changes based on the CC you get with a subscription.

As far a species changes go.... They have to allow the change. Is it fair to those who already maxed out the toons they want, just to reroll for appearance? I think not.

So now you know it's coming start saving instead of complaining.

Well how expensive can character customization be? I don't expect anything beyond 100 cartel coins to be honest. And you're getting like 550 monthly. :l

I would love it to be available for in-game credits as well, though. Especially if it will come with new haircuts.

Thing is, we don't know yet if these are all new options, or if it is just what is in the current character creation, but that wont stop the incessant whinging that goes on in this forum.

It may not seem like it but a barber shop IS basic content. I can see paying real money for species and MAYBE even body size changes but as for the rest (ex: hair style, tattoos etc.) that's all basic things that should be able to be changed using ingame currency (credits).

I completely disagree with you. GW2, you pay for the barber shop. Other MMOs, you pay for the barber shop, so you want EA to give it to you free, not going to happen.

100 for hair, 100 for eyes, 100 for bodytype

You dont actually think theyll introduce an all make-over kit do you? Well they might if the separate items cost 400 you can buy a total one for 350!

After I heard the CM rep I was considering unsubbing and subbed for 1 extra month just to see where they were going with things but if this is true and they dont intend to change it I will bail out.

This game is becoming more and more a generic F2P MMO that are a dime a dozen out there rather than an epic MMO set in the Star Wars universe and Id rather play TERA or DCUO and know Im not a fan of it than play this game of which I am a huge fan but is slowly seeping its identity

I completely disagree with you. GW2, you pay for the barber shop. Other MMOs, you pay for the barber shop, so you want EA to give it to you free, not going to happen.

In GW2 I dont pay for a sub

What other MMO? I havent subbed to a lot but the ones I have played (ie. DCUO) offered it for free to subs

Pretty much this. Barber shop is basic content in many games, even some f2p ones. Here I'm talking hair style, hair color, face layout, etc. That's ultimately just changing a number value in a field in the database.

Changing species in SWTOR is bigger because the sets of things you can configure for looks are different between species. This will probably require a fairly complex re-customization UI. I wouldn't have a problem paying a stiff fee - as high as $25 - to change species.

But to change my hair color? That needs to be credits, and a very small number of them.

To me, the bigger issue here is this indicates a shift in development focus away from providing QOL to players and toward nickel-and-diming everything players want via cartel coins. That's as big a breaking point for me as overt p2w would be. I hope they change direction on this.

Edited by DarthTHC

This post lacks any experience or education. Just look at what other games have done for the same feature. I'd start with WoW, since it's the obvious trendsetter.

Real world money to change, race/species allowed, having a subscription gives you no benefit.

I am happy they are doing this. The only thing I am unhappy about with the cartel market are the Purple and White Crystals after many of us dropped so much money and time to get them way back in the day, and Cartel Coin only reputation.

Past that, whatevah.

Pretty much this. Barber shop is basic content in many games, even some f2p ones. Here I'm talking hair style, hair color, face layout, etc. That's ultimately just changing a number value in a field in the database.

Changing species in SWTOR is bigger because the sets of things you can configure for looks are different between species. This will probably require a fairly complex re-customization UI. I wouldn't have a problem paying a stiff fee - as high as $25 - to change species.

But to change my hair color? That needs to be credits, and a very small number of them.

Wow... never thought we'd ever agree on something! Next thing you know Andryah will agree with me as well on this! ;)

This post lacks any experience or education. Just look at what other games have done for the same feature. I'd start with WoW, since it's the obvious trendsetter.

Real world money to change, race/species allowed, having a subscription gives you no benefit.

I am happy they are doing this. The only thing I am unhappy about with the cartel market are the Purple and White Crystals after many of us dropped so much money and time to get them way back in the day, and Cartel Coin only reputation.

Past that, whatevah.

Can't you change everything but species in WoW via in-game barber shop for in-game currency?

Bioware's idea of what a sub is entitled to is simply "whatever you had right up to the day before SWTOR went F2P"

This game will continue to get worse and worse as it progressively nickle and dimes subs more and more.

FRAK, you don't have to buy anything on the market. You don't want to buy it, reroll. We're all subs here, why are we not all complaining about the "nickle and diming" that BW is doing?