best way to upgrade to 158+ gear

OysterOfDoom

...were you trying to run an HM?

If not, make sure you ignore the folks that kicked you and try again. Hardcores do not belong in SM or PUGs, and your gear is probably fine for SMs.

The very content you are trying to run will provide the gear you need. You can get orange gear and fill it with Makeb comms if you have the expansion.

We very often kick people with max level gear in SMs. They do not belong there. The very moment they mention spacebar or initiate a vote kick based on gear we make sure to kick and ignore them.

Simple thing to get better gear at least is with planetary comms and get mods for orange gear from the Makeb vendor either on fleet or the planet.

edit - had to go check this is 58 (140) gear

do the black hole dailys and build up classic comms for higher gear

if you go to your inventory and click on currency , put your mouse over for the tip , it explains how to get them

Edited by OwenBrooks

You can also buy/have made for you the purple crafted 66 gear. That's HM ready right there. You en pick up the 69 pieces from those 55 HM flash points. Don't worry about the vote kickers, they suck at the game and can't play with anyone who isn't drastically over geared for the content. I welcome blue modded pugs (I'm a way over geared PT tank) because it challenges me. I always complete the fps and I like helping people gear up (sometimes.....) :rak_03:

...were you trying to run an HM?

If not, make sure you ignore the folks that kicked you and try again. Hardcores do not belong in SM or PUGs, and your gear is probably fine for SMs.

The very content you are trying to run will provide the gear you need. You can get orange gear and fill it with Makeb comms if you have the expansion.

We very often kick people with max level gear in SMs. They do not belong there. The very moment they mention spacebar or initiate a vote kick based on gear we make sure to kick and ignore them.

If he's level 55 (as he claimed to be in the OP) then it's a pretty safe bet that he has the expansion as well.

Edited by Hyfy

Simple thing to get better gear at least is with planetary comms and get mods for orange gear from the Makeb vendor either on fleet or the planet.

if you go to your inventory and click on currency , put your mouse over for the tip , it explains how to get them

And there are other ways to wrackup more comms. There is a Weekly for World Bosses. Easy Peasy although starting a group can be a pain. Just be on the look out for the WB weekly in chat..

Being in a guild really helps too. Plenty of help and usually the well geared really help the undergeared get up to speed.

Edited by Rafaman

I am a 55 level sith assassin that has been playing for 3 months (first mmo). I recently got kicked for sub 140 gear and I don't know how to efficiently get better gear. What is my best option? Random group queues for basic and elite commendations?

It has already been mentioned but I will reiterate what has already been said. I to have just made a new character roughly three weeks ago,and during that process I used comms to keep the gear up to date (adaptive gear). However, once I hit 55 I completed Makeb as well as did the dailies on section x and black hole. I opted to buy the 66's...it took roughly three days to completely work on the armoring, mods, and enhancements. Augments would be your next step. Those however are not cheap. Just for the aug itself it runs 100k on our server, and the MK-9 is roughly 70k and just to implement the aug you will spend another 35k. This process is a bit slower, but I will not hit an HM's until I have aug'ed my gear properly.

Good luck and hope the info helps.

Edit: Just a side note. I do slicing as well as the dailies to make the credits needed to fund the gearing of my characters.

Edited by Ganhob

speaking about classic comm gear I was pretty disappointed when I bought a piece of gear and was told after I ripped the mods to put into my cartel set that the armoring mod couldn't be put into anything other than the comm piece I bought.

is there any way to upgrade a set you bought with cartel coins or are you forced to give that up at 55 until you can afford the million credit per mod price for crafted stuff?

Thanks. I've been gearing up pretty quickly, but it has been primarily because I get with groups that are so overpowered that I am mostly just trying to keep up. I think I'll be visiting Makeb more now.

I joined a random clan early on, but it doesn't seem to be working well anymore, so I am looking for a new one.

I am also curious about operations. I don't have access to eternity vault, karagga's palace, or explosive contact.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to this genre and was counting on a friend for help until he got into an accident.

Daily missions, like on the Czerka moon or Section X and so on, will earn you some comms for better gear, albeit at a rather slow rate if you're not into doing them every day.. And if you haven't finished the Makeb story (going by your "I'll spend more time on Makeb" comment here) then you should do so, because the story quests there grant you basic comms, as well as many credits you could use on GTN gear.

Speaking of which, blue 66 belts and bracers can usually be had for under 20k on the GTN on my server (Jedi Covenant), and blue or green earpieces and implants with a level 53 requirement are major improvements over the ones that require 50 and below and won't break your bank either usually.. And, hell, I picked up a 158 barrel for like 17k today..

I'd suggest first seeing what sort of GTN deals you can find, and then cash out all your planetary comms on Makeb modifications (those are 140s) if you haven't already because there's seriously nothing else to spend them on.

I have 72/69 gear and I earned most of it by doing dailies and selling things on the GTN. Do the Black Hole, Section X, Makeb, GSI, and Czerka weeklies for fast Basic comms. Learn what sells on the GTN and ignore the jerks in the game, there are plenty of nice people out there! Learn your rotations and watch some youtube vids to help you maximize your character's potential and try to have fun, the game sucks if you take it too serious sometimes.

the new unclass FP take about 20 mins and some 53/54 lvl orange stuff drops, some can be sold on GTN or passed to alts, and you can do multiple a day. the searching for allies drops elite or basic comms i forget which. a good guild will run ops and "carry" a few guild members to help gear them,just be sure to return the favor and dont drop the guild after you get your stuff, we wiil have several events coming up soon ,monthly Bounty, i "suspect" an new raghoul outbreak. and some other new events, those willhave dallies with them and PUG will not be so interested in your gear, rightnow i have 2200 wz comms gotten from the PVP part of gree, and i dont pvp, but you can convert them to Planet comms for stuff

speaking about classic comm gear I was pretty disappointed when I bought a piece of gear and was told after I ripped the mods to put into my cartel set that the armoring mod couldn't be put into anything other than the comm piece I bought.

is there any way to upgrade a set you bought with cartel coins or are you forced to give that up at 55 until you can afford the million credit per mod price for crafted stuff?

As far as the mods not working in your cartel armor you just have to make sure you put chest in chest head in head etc. I leaned that the hard way. Hope this helps you.

Thanks everyone! I haven't run into anything but friendly people in this game. I think I have the gear to finish my Makeb missions after a trip to the market and some group runs. Now it's time to get mods to tailor my stats, figure out more rotations, and gear up my companions.

BTW- I like my guild, I just think that there aren't many members that are high level (probably people like me that started recently, but unlike me, didn't get to higher levels)