Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I don't think they should bother with SGR anymore. I pushed for it early on, but things have changed. I'm sure if the game had been a huge hit, they would have already announced an upcoming update to romance options that would have expanded on the existing ones and added whole new same gender options. Alas, the game has not been that huge success. Their budget is so limited now that I don't even think we're going to getting ANY class story content in the foreseeable future, let alone something as specialized as SGR. Maybe if F2P is a big hit and they make a lot of money off the Cartel Market things will be different, but as it sits right now I don't think there's money in the budget for it.

I'm close to completing 3 characters to level 50. I did a romance on my first one and was so underwhelmed by it that I didn't even bother with the other two. "Romances" in SWTOR aren't like in other Bioware games. They're nowhere near as in-depth or dramatic. It's a few flirts and a couple of "fade-to-black" moments. It's silly, really. You're not missing anything.

Well, last word that it was being worked on and coming out this year, and I am going to continue with the assumption that that is still true until it's been contradicted.

It's not a if at all, it's a when.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I think would be nice? An asexual, pan-romantic relationship arc. No Fade-To-Black scenes for people who are afraid of the jollies* and it represents a unique writing challenge, in that - while there might be an objective aesthetic appreciation - the wouldn't be any physical attraction and it would be far more about the character interaction, thus bringing (hopefully, at least) more interesting companion conversations.

*Because apparently the scene no one sees is the entire basis for having romances in this game :rolleyes:

You know what I think would be nice? An asexual, pan-romantic relationship arc. No Fade-To-Black scenes for people who are afraid of the jollies* and it represents a unique writing challenge, in that - while there might be an objective aesthetic appreciation - the wouldn't be any physical attraction and it would be far more about the character interaction, thus bringing (hopefully, at least) more interesting companion conversations.

*Because apparently the scene no one sees is the entire basis for having romances in this game :rolleyes:

They were halfway there with Sebastian (unfortunately, he was a bland DLC character so I doubt he made much of a dent in the tracking numbers for DA2)... hmm.

That's something I've suggested for both Dragon Age III and Project Eternity.

I've also suggested an androgynous character. Maybe from a race similar to Mass Effect's Asari, but instead of being blatantly female they'd have characteristics associated with both men and women. Could be voiced by two voice actors simultaneously, or one with a voice that could be interpreted as either male or female.

Cannot wait for that game and I don't want to know how much I've donated to it either.

I went for the Collector's Edition + a deck of playing cards (and international shipping), which was highly financially irresponsible of me. But I just love Obsidian writing and RPG mechanics so much.

Was this in discussion way back in April before 1.2/1.3? They said the same thing about Cathar, and we only have a month left before the year ends, and we will be getting 1.5 this Thursday, in the middle of the month. And if they said every update takes 6 weeks or they at least aim for that; I don't see SGR coming out till the first major expansion- which I predict to be at least early 2013, but probably more like Summer 2013.. :-\ Edited by GarrickBlackSun
Clarification

I went for the Collector's Edition + a deck of playing cards (and international shipping), which was highly financially irresponsible of me. But I just love Obsidian writing and RPG mechanics so much.

A shame Obsidian hasn't actually finished a game in the last decade or so.

Was this in discussion way back in April before 1.2/1.3? They said the same thing about Cathar, and we only have a month left before the year ends, and we will be getting 1.5 this Thursday, in the middle of the month. And if they said every update takes 6 weeks or they at least aim for that; I don't see SGR coming out till the first major expansion- which I predict to be at least early 2013, but probably more like Summer 2013.. :-\

There's been various incarnations of the thread since September last year, and yeah - the official unofficial pseudo-deadline is a shaky thing indeed.

I've a very Sisyphean mentality, so I'm still waiting.

At this point, I am less worried about it getting in this year and more worried about which female character in the agent story is going to be bi-sexual.

Ensign Temple=good for me

Kaliyo=She is staying single.

Not so much the other classes.

Edited by stormdrakelord

I'm honestly surprised that this isn't a thing yet.

This was something BW actually said they were working on when I stopped playing in February. In that time they've installed a LFG feature, UI customization, and an auction house that almost doesn't suck, but this is still on their to-do list?

I would count Fallout: New Vegas as finished, as well as Alpha Protocol.

Given how hideously buggy both titles were under most circumstances, I would disagree. Plus, don't get me started on APs horrible, horrible mid to late game balance...

Quoted from the SGRA faq:

Here in the US, ESRB rates romantic or intimate content by degree of explicitness. What we have in SWTOR is within what is rated as T, and the rating is not affected in any way by whether it is same-gender or opposite-gender content. Why would it be? It's imaginary characters displaying non-explicit affection. Here's the official statement:

Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write.

The ESRB is a non-profit, self-regulatory body that assigns age and content ratings for video games and mobile apps so parents can make informed choices as to which are suitable for their children and family. As part of its self-regulatory role for the video game industry, the ESRB also enforces industry-adopted advertising guidelines and helps ensure responsible online privacy practices among companies participating in its Privacy Online program.

We understand that sexual themes have the potential to be of concern to consumers, which is why all such content must be disclosed during the rating process. In specific regard to your question, ESRB’s ratings criteria do not distinguish between heterosexual and same-sex content when it comes to addressing sexuality in games.

We hope this information is helpful, and thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board

The Pan European Game Information rating system is quite similar to the one used in the US by the ESRB. According to the PEGI, this game is rated 16+ for realistic looking violence, with sexuality not even mentioned. For more information about PEGI, check out their website here and here for all PEGI ratings related to the Old Republic line of games.

Notice that says "T" for teen. This is obviously not for young kids and I'd like to believe that most teenagers know about the homosexual community.

Three other things I wanted to add:

Some of the stories, such as the SI, give the player many many chances to randomly shock people that irritate them. Seriously, some of them are basically, "What, you have shinier shoes than I?" [shock]. 50 DS pts. And that is just a very mild example of the random cruelty that can happen in the game.

Secondly, this thread started in January, and there was a long thread in the Beta forums about this topic as well. This is the...7th or 8th incarnation of a topic that was regularly locked at around 100 pages. So it's more than just this particular thread.

Finally, I wanted to state my opinions on the OGRs in the game and also what the general goal of SGRs. Some of the posters here have not played the OGR content, so I'll try to give ideas without spoilers. Those few will be marked, of course. :) There's been two I have done, and one I stopped.

Male JK(almost completed, he's still lvl 46)--With Kira, there is not only the bond between Master and Student, but I always got the impression that she got my JK to loosen up and try to enjoy laughter as well as the more "serene" emotions of the Force. The romance added to one particular part in the JK storyline and made it that much more worth it.

I'm referring to the end of Chapter 1, when Kira is fighting off the Emperor's control. Hearing my JK plead with her was a lovely touch and made for a nice player punch.

Female IA(completed, level 50 and story class done)--Vector surprised me. I hadn't heard a lot of good things about the romance, but it was actually very well written. Hearing him lay his feelings out on the table after being one with the Kilicks for so long it was powerful to me, and extremely well done. The times he uses the first person pronoun instead of "we" was very cool.

Right before the first FTB happens, he manages (with Loken's help) to supress the Kilick pheramones and become completely human for that night. He stated that he didn't want to share her with anyone else for that first important time. He also had human eyes for the only time in the companion's story.

Combine that with the platonic angle of his diplomacy, it made me swoon a little. :o A really good love story should do that. And mind, it wasn't so much the FTB that did it, but the dialog before behind that made the scene.

That is what people are asking for when it comes to SGRs. The chance to see and experience the dialog not the silly FBT that follows it. A chance to either play as themselves or try something new. It's really better story telling than many in the forums say and that should be something that everyone should get the chance to do.

Now, remember I mentioned aborting a romance arc. It was my first toon, my female SW.

I'll avoid character bashing here, which is better than I used to be. :p Anyhow, I had starting flirting with Quinn, but it didn't take long before the character kind of bored me. He didn't ask to flirt too much, in game he seemed too much of a brown-noser and was overly shy about returning my SW's advances. I frankly didn't think too much of it and I knew I could end the romance at any point as long as I wasn't silly enough to choose any sort of marriage proposal.

Which leads into Quinn betraying me at Baras' request...

After that part of the story happens, I ended the romance. That didn't stop the flirts for about 2 more conversations though. I find it a little annoying, since I had already broken things off. However, I exercised the freedom the developers gave me.

I ignored him.

I really still don't like the character, I am still kinda ticked he's the only full romance option for females, and I was annoyed that it took a bit for the flirts to stop. Don't get me wrong, I would like more options for the lady SW (and other classes.) Pierce..isn't fair, and I would like to see Jaesa without rerolling.

However, I won't be rude enough to ask people to take the Quinn romance out of the game just because I don't like it. The opportunity to romance the love interest or not is a story feature that was promised to all ToR players last year. This thread, and the one in the General Forums, is to ask for clarification on the status of such features. There's been a lot of weirdness from the part of the developers and the moderators about this. Tweets were used to confirm off hand comments and then taken down. Nothing wrong with people asking for a less murky answer.

Remember, a person doesn't have to post here if they are that strongly opposed to this content. I do encourage everyone to take advantage of the contact info in my sig if they feel either wanting an update on this topic and for those that are very opposed to this content. That will provide contact information for people such as Joveth Gonzales (Senior Online Manager) and Allison Berryman. That includes Twitter, email, forum PM and a snail-mail address to BioWare Austin.

Now I'm going to go back to the game. There's a Sage that needs leveling. Take care all!

Edited by natashina

At this point, I am less worried about it getting in this year and more worried about which female character in the agent story is going to be bi-sexual.

Ensign Temple=good for me

Kaliyo=She is staying single.

They should make it Watcher 2, then we all win!

If nothing else, it would make that scene where the hookup goes for male IAs so much less hilariously weird.

Watcher 2: [pulls Agent off to the side] That op went well, eh?

Agent: Yep. Nice workin' with you, Watcher.

Watcher 2: Right. Mind having a private word? [pulls Agent into a dark, private area]

Agent: [looks at Watcher 2]

Watcher 2: [looks at Agent]

Both: [stare awkwardly]

Watcher 2: So. That op went well.

Agent: So you said.

Watcher 2: Well then! Good talk. See you around. [vanishes in a puff of awkwardness and smoke]

Agent: Er. Bye?

It's like, sometimes when I play this game and I meet an NPC, some brief line of dialog or a bit of a flirty demeanor will make me think to myself, "hmn, I wonder if this is a FTB opportunity for a male PC?" And then sometimes it's Watcher 2 and I'm like "wow this entire conversation does not even scan if you take the really obviously missing sex scene out, does it."

I agree with this post.

I would roll yet another agent.

If nothing else, it would make that scene where the hookup goes for male IAs so much less hilariously weird.

I always read those scenes as incredibly awkward sexual tension.

Watcher 2: [pulls Agent off to the side] That op went well, eh?

Agent: Yep. Nice workin' with you, Watcher.

Watcher 2: Right. Mind having a private word? [pulls Agent into a dark, private area]

Agent: [looks at Watcher 2]

Watcher 2: [looks at Agent]

Watcher 2: So. That op went well.

Agent: So you said.

Watcher 2: Well then! Good talk. See you around. [vanishes in a puff of awkwardness and smoke]

Agent: Er. Bye?

It's like, sometimes when I play this game and I meet an NPC, some brief line of dialog or a bit of a flirty demeanor will make me think to myself, "hmn, I wonder if this is a FTB opportunity for a male PC?" And then sometimes it's Watcher 2 and I'm like "wow this entire conversation does not even scan if you take the really obviously missing sex scene out, does it."

That's kind of funny....I haven't played a female agent so I never knew what goes on there. Though I do know that she approaches human and alien agents quite differently. She's very speciesist!

I think she'd be a great SGR character, though. Oddly I think she's probably got the most interesting romance and she's not even a companion. And maybe they'll actually add something for her in the future :/ she kind of leaves you hanging.

That's kind of funny....I haven't played a female agent so I never knew what goes on there. Though I do know that she approaches human and alien agents quite differently. She's very speciesist!

I think she'd be a great SGR character, though. Oddly I think she's probably got the most interesting romance and she's not even a companion. And maybe they'll actually add something for her in the future :/ she kind of leaves you hanging.

Per Alex Freed (the IA story lead) they went back and forth about making W2 a companion several times, but ultimately decided to keep her as a hugely important supporting character through all three acts.

I am of the opinion though that she'll be recruitable at some point in the future, just like I'm convinced Act I's big bad will be making a return.

I always read those scenes as incredibly awkward sexual tension.

It's no less hilariously awkwardly bizarre for a male agent that doesn't flirt. Oh good lord. 'Let's talk about what we just talked about once more in a dark corner so we can fill our 'creepy intel vibe' quota for today'.

I really honestly want Saganu for male IA. I really really do. I would've taken him as a companion over Temple in a heartbeat...

Speaking earlier of unfair romances in other classes though:

Tharan, what was that all about? You pulled a Pierce on my consular you jerk!

Anything new and wonderful this past week? I've been travelling and am just now home to catch up. I did see we got no traction with the Hall Hood Q&A, but that's hardly unexpected. Anything else?

I thought they'd eaten you! :o

Also, no, no news. We're still unloved.

General consensus is "after Free2Play drops", but Bioware are going to fart-arseing about for weeks with that.