A guide to the different specs in short for you( SS,sab,DF)

chimeraone

I actually like this build, except for one thing. I switched Seize the Moment for Dealers discount.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRRroMcZGbbkM.1

Both are resource management talents, however, Dealers discount effects more than one skill being used by this spec, and its a constant effect. Seize the moment will only effect Sab charge, every 1 min, and will return 15 energy. To me, it seemed difficult to use this well. Either A: sab charge is on cd when I use Sabotage to reset cds;

B: I have to much energy for Seize the moment to be beneficial.

For a PVE standpoint against a boss, both talents are great, as you can easily set up a timed rotation.

For PVP, it is much more difficult to do this, as the OP stated, you should be moving with the flow, and constant affects are more beneficial for this, as you know they will always work.

This will be the spec I try out for High dps out put for pvp, which I will then compare to this build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rzMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1, to see which one of the 2 I enjoy more.

Also, how do you request a sticky? Because this forum needs one.

I don't quite understand where you are going with the second build. You say you're trying to go high dps but it seems like you are going way more defensive. I love Ballistic Dampers just as much as the next generic Sharpshooter but if I were trying to go for high PvP dps with Sab it would seem like your first build is the way to go.

BTW I like the Dealers Discount switch. It's a huge improvement imo.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took Seize the Moment instead of Dealer's Discount because I felt its energy regen was more certian. However I'll try out both and maybe Discount will be the way to go.

I don't quite understand where you are going with the second build. You say you're trying to go high dps but it seems like you are going way more defensive. I love Ballistic Dampers just as much as the next generic Sharpshooter but if I were trying to go for high PvP dps with Sab it would seem like your first build is the way to go.

BTW I like the Dealers Discount switch. It's a huge improvement imo.

Well he was saying that the second build was much more defensive, so he will compare the first, DPS build, to the second, defensive build. It's what I'm doing too. Two different ways to play sab, and we'll see which one works better.

so instead of people saying hey thanks i didn't realize energy cost was so high most of the good abilities cost 30 energy highest of any skill in game. instead of that i get criticized and try to make me look like an idiot. no the idiot thing is posting all these stupid half df half sab builds that are not viable builds i linked the poster that has been a real game tester like 8 months or so not a weekend turd that got to 20 one beta weekend and thinks they know it all. so put your foot in your mouth shut up read the post b/c obviouly he knows 100 times more than you do. HYBRID BUILDS FOR DF/SAB ARE NOT PVE VIABLE END GAME!!!!!!!! STOP POSTING HYBRID BUILDS LIKE THEY ARE GOOD OR VIABLE B/C THEY ARE NOT. THE ENERGY COST IS TOO HIGH.

http://swtorsniper.blogspot.com/2011/12/building-lethalityengineering-hybrid-is.html

again here is the post you guys should be reading this is a guy that has played a lvl 50 gunslinger 8 months and has tried all the builds. not a little turd that played for a week and think they are God b/c they hit 50 2 days ago. this guy has been 50 for 8 months! and has tried every spec every build as it was his job to do so. everythign is on that website i linked every single posible build for those too lazy to look.

If he's so good, why does he not take utility belt in a sab levelling build?

Also, the 'hybrid' I and others have suggested in this thread is not the kind of dirty fighting hybrid that blog is referring to. We're not trying to power the expensive dirty fighting trees without energy regen abilities. A sab build with most of its energy regen talents can easily power a thermal grenade/shrap bomb combo.

A sab build which takes shrap bomb over incendiary grenade has no real energy use difference. It's slightly more taxing, but sab energy regen is pretty good and can handle it.

However, I wouldn't go for shrap bomb in a pve build. Incendiary grenade works great for PvE.

Edited by StealthNerf

So what about Cool Under Pressure? Is it just one of those passive is better in PvP or is it just not that good? I'm basically having trouble deciding between Bravado, Underworld Hardships and Cool Under Pressure.

Also, sorry if this is stupid question, are we sure that Shrap bomb is considered an AoE ability?

Edited by MunsterT

• 2 weeks later...
I am level 30 at the moment and decided to do Dirty Fighting tree for PvP purposes. I can tell you honestly I come in the top 3 in damage 90% of the matches, and a few times I have come in 1st in both damage and kills in the same match. My tree choices so far are definitely fun for PvP. I can't tell if most of my damage is from my DoTs or from my AoE but my current build at lvl 30 is:

(0 SS/8 Sab/13 DF)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZMIZGbbkM.1

I started off on the Sab tree because thermal grenades are beastly and having the increased damage with the short cooldown is a force to be reckoned with in PvP. After that I'm going to take the DF tree all the way up and my trees are going to look like this:

(2 SS/8 Sab/31 DF)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700MZMIZGbbkrrhdhR.1

@Nellett

Been PvP heals as a Sage (50) for a while now and I'm looking at rolling a smuggler for a change of scenery. How did/is this working out for you, both in PvP and leveling in PvE? What level are you now? Are the 2 points in Cover Screen working as well as you'd hoped? Status update, please!

@everyone else

No one commented on Nellett's builds? I'm more interested in the final 2/8/31 spec. I definitely see the potential for crazy-high damage, but am left curious about the use Cover Screen. It looks decent on paper, but how is it out in the field? If you were to place those other 2 points into something else, without changing anything else, where would you put them?

• Flash Powder? (DF)

• Dirty Trickster? (DF)

• Steady Sots? (SS)

• Underworld Hardships? (Sab)

I see the pros of this build, but what of the cons?

Thanks and take it sleazy,

:csw_blaster:

I've been testing out Dirty fighting of late as a Gunslinger.

While I like the mobility and DOT attacks, I feel as if I'm not consistent enough with my damage dealing as I was with my Sharpshooter spec. I'm going to give it a few more days to see, but so far, I think Sharpshooter's burst is better than the DOT heavy attacks from DF.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw my 2 cents in here..

I use the following DF build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZMIZGbbkrrhdhR.1

2/8/31

I have used it for both Nightmare Ops and PvP. I focus on the strengths of Dirty Fighting. It not only has very strong dots but many overlook the AOE talent as well.

You do lack the 'instant' burst of Sharpshooter but I feel you do higher overall damage. A key thing that most people overlook is the fact most of your damage is internal (ie not affected by armor). So everyone is pretty much a soft or medium target.

In target rich environments you have thermal grenade that hits very hard as well.

I use cover when I want too not because I have too.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here..

I use the following DF build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZMIZGbbkrrhdhR.1

2/8/31

I have used it for both Nightmare Ops and PvP. I focus on the strengths of Dirty Fighting. It not only has very strong dots but many overlook the AOE talent as well.

You do lack the 'instant' burst of Sharpshooter but I feel you do higher overall damage. A key thing that most people overlook is the fact most of your damage is internal (ie not affected by armor). So everyone is pretty much a soft or medium target.

In target rich environments you have thermal grenade that hits very hard as well.

I use cover when I want too not because I have too.

That's the same exact spec I'm using. I'm loving it right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread! I've recently hit 50 and gotten into PvP and realized the limitations of a SS build there, so I'm thinking of trying a sab or df build. Probably will go sab first since I still do a lot of PvE. Time to re-learn h2p! :p

/subscribe

Excellent information, thanks all.

Would like some advice. Currently L26 and just re-specced from SS to DF http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZZGbbkr.1.

Main Abilities at this level are (I'm guessing):

Vital Shot

Shrap Bomb

Thermal Grenade

Sabotage Charge (from Cover)

Charged Burst (from Cover)

Aimed Shot (from Cover, should I just be forgetting about this?)

Sweeping Gunfire

Quick Shot

Quick Draw (Finisher?)

My question is coming fresh from a SS build what sort of rotation should I be looking at? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

After looking at the DF builds im wondering which does more aoe dmg? Just wondering cuz i just respecced to sabslinger at lvl 16 so not a huge difference yet but i want to be on the right track as far as aoe.