Swg > swtor

Yoverion

I agree, if swg was still around, I'd have swapped back already. I will admit playing on Kaas City and waiting hours for a warzone que does effect what I'm saying, but paying to wait on my fleet watching my chat screen fade away because no one says anything isn't entertaining to me.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first year of SWG>SWTOR after the first year of SWG it is Every other game in history > SWG.

You sur about that? Swg had amuch higher attrcian rate its first year plus,they had the huge credit dupe scandel that resulted in 10,000 innocent players getting banned.

My eyes, they burn!

No but seriously, I never played Swg, but from what I saw the PvP in Old Republic is miles ahead

You sir, should not talk about things you have not experienced.

Imagine this...no global cooldown, complete control over your build (I mean COMPLETE, base stats, exotics...IE crit, damage, etc), open world PVP to the core, fighting anywhere and everywhere all the time in group PVP fights, searching the galaxy for members of the opposing faction that are PVP so you can go find them and kill them.

Oh and did I mention that every class is different????? Oh yes, only one class has a stun, only one class has a root. Only one class can heal. You can make a pet out of just about any creature in the game and any player can be a pet handler and fight with that pet. SWG made group stacking a term with meaning.

The crafters made the best gear and weapons in the entire game, which in turn made the economy actually mean something.

SWTOR is absolute poo poo compaired to SWG. The only thing that is better about TOR is the graphics.

Nuff said

P.S. Everything above barely scratches the surface of what set SWG apart from this game or any other game. If you look at the deco options the game had, or placed houses, guild cities, the card game, the travel system, oh yeah did i mention an open world space??? with different galaxies all of their own, with pvp as well as pve, and oh yes yes resource acquisition....I doubt I will ever find a game that lives up to the experience I had playing SWG unless SWG itself comes back. And to all of you that think the fan base for this game is larger than SWG....Yikes, a large portion of this fan base are people from SWG.....think before you speak please.

Edited by Ibaughnez

I think it's great how many people come into these threads saying 'No-one wants to play SWG' yet TOR has some forum threads dedicated to old SWG players (In the community > check ins section of the forums) where you see people recognising names of characters they remember seeing some 8 years ago (or however long it has been).

If SWG was really such a bad game, would people still remember the names of other player's characters after all these years?

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Imagine this...no global cooldown, complete control over your build (I mean COMPLETE, base stats, exotics...IE crit, damage, etc), open world PVP to the core, fighting anywhere and everywhere all the time in group PVP fights, searching the galaxy for members of the opposing faction that are PVP so you can go find them and kill them.

More control over build is nice. But this may surprise you - a lot of people do not like PvP or are in the "can take it or leave it crowd". I happen to be one of those who does it because I can, but if PvP was removed from the SWTOR tomorrow I would not care. Yes, there a lots of transplants from FPS PvP in MMOs, and they love it. The fact is that SWG was a PvP centric game and SWTOR is a PvE centric game.

Oh and did I mention that every class is different????? Oh yes, only one class has a stun, only one class has a root. Only one class can heal. You can make a pet out of just about any creature in the game and any player can be a pet handler and fight with that pet. SWG made group stacking a term with meaning.

Being THAT focused is not necessarily a good thing. I remember playing EQ1 where Clerics were the end all be all of healers. If you played a druid, shaman, or paladin and wanted to heal, 99% of the players would laugh in your face (that 1% were groups who were simply too desperate for a healer). When groups needed a healer they would shout out "LF Cleric" not "LF Healer" And while there were several classes that could tank, only the warrior was desired, groups only took a paladin or deathknight as their tank if they had no other choice.

And the opposite is also true; if EVERYONE can be a pet handler, there is nothing special about it.

The crafters made the best gear and weapons in the entire game, which in turn made the economy actually mean something.

The problem with a crafting system such as that, is it diminishes the "carrot" that encourages players to run FPs and OPs. If you can have the best gear crafted and you can acquire the materials solo, why would you bother grouping or raiding? Oh wait, that's right, SWG did not have that option - the ONLY way to get gear was to craft it.

Both games are good, although I'd have to say I preferred SWG to TOR. TOR does too much hand-holding (Go here, do this, then go over there, hit some of those guys, then come back to the base) where SWG basically said 'There's the Star Wars universe, go play'. And being able to pick and choose skills instead of being forced along a specific class route that loads of other people also have is a good thing.

Sure, SWG had some problems, but so does TOR. Having a Star Wars MMO that is a mixture of the two would have been incredible.

I agree with this completely except I think TOR is slightly better. I think one thing that is hurting this game that made SWG so interesting is the non-linear experience that SWG had. OH and I would get rid of Imperial Fleet all together. Put the people out on the planets.

More control over build is nice. But this may surprise you - a lot of people do not like PvP or are in the "can take it or leave it crowd". I happen to be one of those who does it because I can, but if PvP was removed from the SWTOR tomorrow I would not care. Yes, there a lots of transplants from FPS PvP in MMOs, and they love it. The fact is that SWG was a PvP centric game and SWTOR is a PvE centric game.

Oh yes, a person cannot help but notice that the game is a roleplayer's wet dream....however, the post I was replying to was on the topic of PVP. Please take that wizard hat off you look ridiculous.

Being THAT focused is not necessarily a good thing. I remember playing EQ1 where Clerics were the end all be all of healers. If you played a druid, shaman, or paladin and wanted to heal, 99% of the players would laugh in your face (that 1% were groups who were simply too desperate for a healer). When groups needed a healer they would shout out "LF Cleric" not "LF Healer" And while there were several classes that could tank, only the warrior was desired, groups only took a paladin or deathknight as their tank if they had no other choice.

Uhuh, in SWG if you needed heals you shouted out LF Medic......please have experience playing a game before trying to comment on it.

And the opposite is also true; if EVERYONE can be a pet handler, there is nothing special about it.

Each pet had different abilities up to and including a pet class with a stun. Your pets played specific roles in the game therefore a squishy class could use a wompa for instance or a rancor...and a tougher class could use an acklay, etc.

The problem with a crafting system such as that, is it diminishes the "carrot" that encourages players to run FPs and OPs. If you can have the best gear crafted and you can acquire the materials solo, why would you bother grouping or raiding? Oh wait, that's right, SWG did not have that option - the ONLY way to get gear was to craft it.

It does not diminish everything. You can have incentives to run your RP goody goody stuff. Just don't make the rewards armor or weapons. Make them something that is not craftable, or make them schematics, etc. You bothered running heroics (your silly FPs or raids) in SWG because you got permenant increases to stats upon every completion of one up to ten. Oh did I mention that some of the best schematics in the game dropped in the heroics? Yes crafters made the best gear and weapons but they weren't gimmes, you had to go out and find the schematic, in many cases every time you wanted to make one, in order to have the recipe and ability to craft. Things like weapons, backpacks, etc. The best ones in the game would drop in heroics in schematic form and then have to be taken to a crafter to make them. Which set the crafter apart from everyone else/. You could build a reputation as one by making these items. People would specifically come to you to make theirs because of your server wide reputation for being a good trader. You obviously never played the game.

You gain tokens for every completion as well. These could be used to buy 'Heroic Jewelery' that was class specific and set you apart from everyone else in the game. Along with the jewelery you could by buff items with them as well. So there was always a reason to run them.

As I said before if you know nothing about a game, don't even bother trying to comment. And I thought I asked you to take that wizard hat off?

Edited by Ibaughnez

I played SWG for a few years, and rarely did PvP, fun though it was. As with any other MMO, it was only PvP centric if you wanted it to be.

That's just it though, not everyone wanted to be a pet handler, so not everyone was. Same way in TOR, not everyone wants to be a Jedi or Sith, so you have the other classes. Just because the option is there, doesn't mean everyone went for it.

There shouldn't need to be a carrot. FPs, raids, and all other content isn't just there to provide the player with loot. That would be a pointless MMO... You do stuff for loot, and you need loot to do stuff. No, MMOs aren't about loot. As with every single other entertainment industry without fail, they are about... you guessed it, entertainment. Or are you really saying you don't do raids for the fun, but just the loot?

The type of crafting system SWG had was one that rewarded good crafters. People could make a name for themselves without even picking upa blaster (unless, of course, they made it).

SWG at least was not focused on raiders to the extent that everyone else was brushed aside. Raiders had their niche, and their vanity loot, but everyone else, crafters, explorers, roleplayers, pilots, entertainers, had much more to do than TOR offers.

TOR endgame is aimed at raiders, even pvp is getting neglected. SWG had its problems, but it offered far more options. You could customize your character far better too, and with a few exceptions, were far less limited in armor and weapon choice than TOR. Even a jedi could at least pick up a blaster and shoot things (And, if you had the right template (pistol using darkside/beast master), even effectively.)

SWG is dead jesus chirst, SWG was garbage, it is garbage, and it will always be garbage .

Sorry you feel that way, but there are many people who disagree. Now, if you don't have anything of interest to add to the discussion, why did you bother coming in herer in the first place?

Sorry you feel that way, but there are many people who disagree. Now, if you don't have anything of interest to add to the discussion, why did you bother coming in herer in the first place?

If that were true then they would have never needed to do the nge

If that were true then they would have never needed to do the nge

They released the NGE as an attempt to tempt in some of the millions that were flocking to the newly launched WoW. It didn't work, and it upset the vast majority of the players SWG had left after they previously screwed up the game with the Combat "Upgrade".

If no-one wanted to play the original SWG still, the SWGEmu project wouldn't have gotten this far, not by a long shot, and it certainly wouldn't have some 80,000 people interested in it, would it? Ok, so it's not the million or so that are playing TOR, but 80,000 is still a lot of people, and before the elephant came into the room, would have been considered a success.

SWG is dead jesus chirst, SWG was garbage, it is garbage, and it will always be garbage .

LOL, yeah.

So the railshooter in TOR is better than SWGs complete free flight universe plus combat, mining and atmospheric flight. And TOR´s timefrozen, exhaustion zone corridor planets are better than SWGs huge open world planets with day, night and weather change plus housing.

You really seem to know what you´re talking about... :rolleyes:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

LOL, yeah.

So the railshooter in TOR is better than SWGs complete free flight universe plus combat, mining and atmospheric flight. And TOR´s timefrozen, exhaustion zone corridor planets are better than SWGs huge open world planets with day, night and weather change plus housing.

You really seem to know what you´re talking about... :rolleyes:

where did i say swtor was good also Lol, but please SWG was total garbage, there is not point trying even to discuss it, unless ofc you still have red tinted glasses on.