Republic side is horribly boring...

Blood_Burger

This is a matter of opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Trooper and Jedi put me to sleep. Played them to 30 and 38 respectively. By the time I hit Taris I started to feel the decline, Nar Shaddaa was tough, and then by the time I hit Tattooine I was done. I pushed ahead to Alderaan on my Jedi but couldn't finish.

The only character I've remotely had fun with thus far is Sith Warrior. (22)

I'd like to try Smuggler as a last resort, but I don't know if its worth investing the time again.

I had really high hopes for this game. Not unsubscribing just yet, but I'm almost there.

Flame on if you must, but I'm sure there are others that feel this way.

Edited by Blood_Burger

Trooper and Jedi put me to sleep. Played them to 30 and 38 respectively. By the time I hit Taris I started to feel the decline, Nar Shaddaa was tough, and then by the time I hit Tattooine I was done. I pushed ahead to Alderaan on my Jedi but couldn't finish.

I'd like to try Smuggler as a last resort, but I don't know if its worth investing the time again.

I had really high hopes for this game. Not unsubscribing just yet, but I'm almost there.

I agree. I do believe Empire had much better writers. I keep playing Republic though mostly because I don't want to replay Huttball over and over again. It will also be easier to find imperials on Ilum. That's pretty much it.

I found that the Jedi Consular story so far the only one worth playing. My Consular is a level 50 Shadow and now I am leveling a Sith Inquisitor and well the only reason I keep going back to my Sith is because Republic does not have enough players to decently PUG a Hard Mode at any time of day. And while I love my Republic guild and hope that it starts to flourish I really hope that more people will start to play Republic because leveling for me was the fun part right now I have only gotten through 2 Hard Modes while being 50 for almost 3 weeks now. I love both sides but BioWare really needs to find a way to make a server where the number of players on each side are capped at a certain point.

I'm simultaneously leveling a Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular and i must say, the Sith Warriors story is 10 times better. Its a shame because i like playing Republic Characters but the Consulars story is extremely boring. I've heard it gets better after act 1 but so far the Warrior has had better class quests and companions.

On the consular i've had to spend the first 24 levels with only Qyzen the trandoshian...god i hate him. Theran Cedrix is a more interesting character but that is mostly because of his holographic wife who tags along.The Sith Warriors companions are much more interesting, both Vette and Malavi are decently tolerable to have follow you, and their conversations are much more interesting. the only consular companion that looks interesting is nadia grell, but she's the last one.

I have to disagree. I've played a lot of characters but I find the Jedi Knight and trooper to be great.

The Sith have ok stories but I prefer republic. Mainly because I think the sith look stupid with their black, red and pruple fantasy evil armour. The Jedi and Trooper look cool.

Yeah, I have friends all on the republic since we like joining the under dog, none have complained if anything praised how well written and captivating all sides of the Republic story is.

I'm a Jedi knight and I feel like i'm Obiwan times 10.

Honestly the biggest thing I think is that the Republic stories are kinda forced into very "YOU ARE XXXX" stories. Where you play as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker (pre and post degobah), and a soldier.

Also, They drag act one out wayyyy to long for ALL the stories. Meaning it feels like you're just doing the same... damn... thing... for a LONG time (it's what, six planets overall?)

Jedi Knight gets good at 40 and I will tell you why. You are a Jedi the Dark Side is quiker yes but not better. By the time you get to 40 you will have honed all your skills and you did it slowly so every move you do you do it well. Also the Knight gets all his good skills late game 40+ is where they get saucy.

And this is where it quickly becomes a matter of opinion, yes.

I absolutely loved playing a Smuggler all the way through. The story, to me, was fun, absolute fun. My smuggler was an independent. She did as she liked without any real allegience to anyone but her own self, her friends, and her ultimate family. She wasn't bound by any real code or rulebook. And her personality was just downright funny. Her last comment, to the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, mind you, goes something like, "It was so much fun to fight for the Republic...even if I was only tricked into thinking I was..." I can't tell you how often, as I was going along, I literally laughed my butt off over something my smuggler did or said.

Maybe it's the fun I had with the smuggler that made the Bounty Hunter my second best favorite character class, mind you. By the time I decided to truly try out something on the "other side" of the game, I was so hooked on the fun aspect of playing an independent and engaging character, that only the Bounty Hunter could really compare. The Sith are bound up to whatever silly power struggles so consume the Sith all the time and the Agents are just James Bond in space, cleaning up whatever mess the Sith have made. But the Bounty Hunter rocks the world, all the while reminding people, "I am not an Imperial, they just pay me." Classic stuff, that.

At this point, those are the two classes I really enjoy. The rest are...meh. Could take it or not. Whenever people toss around words like "Epic" I just smile. I play to have fun, to laugh even. I'm not out to make sure I win any brownie points or to prove to anyone how much of a bad*** I am. That may be why I don't scream and rail into chat during pvp matches when we -- OMG! -- lose and why do people get so dang "panties in a wad" during losing matches anyway, sheesh.

It's a game, enjoy whatever it is you're doing, let me enjoy what I'm doing. And move the heck along.

Personal opinion can be a fascinating thing, though. I haven't actually found a story I didn't find at least somewhat engaging, both the class stories and the faction stories. I think they're all written very well. My main is level 45, a Jedi Knight, so that's the story I'm most familiar with but I've played all the classes through at least a little way (12-20).

The main thing that will get people's attention for any given story, I think, is the type of story you're playing through and - if you're inclined to consider it - your character's motivations. There's considerable variation with every class, I think, in terms of how you get to react to the story in question and that can prompt some very interesting and at times amusing reactions from the NPCs.

I found the Smuggler missions very funny, in different ways as a male Smuggler than a female Smuggler. I found the Bounty Hunter story to be edgy and quite satisfying. The little I saw of the two Sith classes seemed to be very much 'You are bad, be bad, yo' storylines so it's quite arguable that they're just as 'boring' as any Republic story - I think it depends on what kind of story you like and how much you think about why your character is doing what your character does.

If you like stories about independents then definitely, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter are arguably the 'best' stories for those. If you like stories about characters within a military order you might find the Trooper - and perhaps the Imperial Agent - to be more fun.

Should you then throw in the twist that you're playing a character in a military structure who happens to be the best in his/her field but also resents (or at least struggles with) the command structure then you've got a potentially different story on your hands. Sure, the events are pretty much the same but how you react to them - and the feedback you get from the NPCs - can make all the difference between a yawnfest and a truly enjoyable time.

Back to the original question, though, I have to disagree. I don't find the Republic stories boring. I can see how some people would but I take time to think about my character's background and for me (yep, personal opinion) that in-character motivation is all part of the fun. It's part of what makes a story rich - after all, it's an interactive story. You might not have had a hand in writing it but you're certainly helping tell it.

Yep, its partly why I ditched my Gunslinger for a Sniper, and also because the IA story blows the Smuggler's out of the water.

What? The Smuggler story and character are rogueish, engaging and funny, like when you get your callsign "I wanna be called CRACKERJACK. No,no, that sounded better in my mind, make it ACE"... priceless. I heartily laughed at least three dozen times already and I'm only in my 40s...

The IA storyline is just a cardboard copy of every Mission Impossible, Bourne and James Bond plot element ever imagined. Sabotage this, infiltrate that, forge some numbers, get screwed by your betters, work for the friggin Sith, do this, do that. I found IA extremely unengaging.

Val