Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
09.05.2019 , 10:56 PM | #9691
Quote: Originally Posted by Benirons View Post
I q up as fake tank on my full 258 PT dps and get a pop for MM Cademimu. We r blasting through everything, until right after the shortcut following the first boss the healer asks me: where is ur tank gear? We r doing fine, whats the problem i say. And they just leave the group right there and then.

Nobody died, everything died exceptionally fast. If that isnt a dream group i dont know what is. Whipped out a 50 comp and finished rest of the FP in 5-10 mins.

I just dont get some folks.
This story seems more like it should end with "...So I was the weird one in GF". I mean, it's cool you have such appreciation for your own skills and they must be warranted if you were able to finish with no problem, but the randos you group with wouldn't know that. I guess it's a bit analretentive on the part of that guy who inspected you when everything was going fine though. Like what would have twigged him?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

nyrkverse's Avatar


nyrkverse
09.06.2019 , 12:23 AM | #9692
PSA: Cademimu can be soloed by a (reasonably geared) dps with their companion with no trouble at the moment so the healer did jump the gun a little if things were going okay.

Quote: Originally Posted by Benirons View Post
Oh, PS. jug and shadow dps tanking would be pretty brutal, so i think only PT dps tanking is viable due to gr8 CDs (especially AP).
okay, now you're really baiting people
«I'm not cute. I'm deadly»

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
09.06.2019 , 04:18 AM | #9693
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardrossan View Post
This story seems more like it should end with "...So I was the weird one in GF". I mean, it's cool you have such appreciation for your own skills and they must be warranted if you were able to finish with no problem, but the randos you group with wouldn't know that. I guess it's a bit analretentive on the part of that guy who inspected you when everything was going fine though. Like what would have twigged him?
My first thought was, healer may have been working overtime, wondering why it's abnormally difficult, and tank thought it was no big deal because they couldn't tell. With skilled healers, it usually doesn't seem like much of anything is happening; it's fluid and plays smooth. It's the more unskilled healers where you notice there's a healer, IME.

Could also be healer was obsessive about it for some reason, but... putting myself in healer's shoes, I don't think it would even occur to me to check gear unless something seemed really off. And if you heal for tanks a lot, you're probably going to notice if the "tank" is taking huge damage spikes compared to normal.

What healer should have done is said, "Well if you're going DPS, I will too" and promptly switched roles. :P (Actually, I'm not sure if you can inside FPs even with field respec. I don't remember for sure one way or another.)
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

JediQuaker's Avatar


JediQuaker
09.06.2019 , 06:55 AM | #9694
Quick funny story.
Queued for GF FP. Nathema popped with a trinity group - so, bad FP, good group.
Things went relatively easily. Then we got to the final boss. Mid-way through the first fight, l and the other DPS died and we noticed that the healer and tank had left. No warning, no explanation.
I and the other DPS re-queued, but after a relatively long wait, the other DPS gave up and so l left too.

The funny part - it wasn't until I went to abandon the quest that I noticed that it had been Master Mode! So, I don't know if the tank and healer left because I was the "weird person in GF" or what - I may have been playing too "veteran-ish"; I dunno. But things had been going fine until the end.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
09.06.2019 , 08:39 PM | #9695
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Quick funny story.
Queued for GF FP. Nathema popped with a trinity group - so, bad FP, good group.
Things went relatively easily. Then we got to the final boss. Mid-way through the first fight, l and the other DPS died and we noticed that the healer and tank had left. No warning, no explanation.
I and the other DPS re-queued, but after a relatively long wait, the other DPS gave up and so l left too.

The funny part - it wasn't until I went to abandon the quest that I noticed that it had been Master Mode! So, I don't know if the tank and healer left because I was the "weird person in GF" or what - I may have been playing too "veteran-ish"; I dunno. But things had been going fine until the end.
Probably nothing to do with you. I think people just hate that flashpoint.

I ended up in a Nathema Vet mode once, semi-recently (not even master, just vet!). I normally skip the terrible trio (Nathema, Umbara, and Copero), but I wasn't in a rush and I hadn't actually given it a real try beyond story mode yet, so I figured what the heck. I remember commenting at the beginning I'd never done vet mode before to dead silence.

Uneventfully, we get to the first boss and somehow kill him (even though, as I later found out, most of us have very little idea what we're doing in there). Then we get to the second boss... and die because only one of us knows the mechanics and three of us just kill the robots. The guy who knows is all "you're supposed to do X" (not necessarily in those words) and then leaves. I end up literally minimizing and reading a guide, asking if the other two know the fights at all (they don't). So I end up typing from the guide into chat, to explain the fights (that I don't myself know). We manage to beat second boss after that pretty uneventfully and, after some explanation and a little flubbing the first half of the last boss.

We then proceed to wipe on the very last boss over and over and over in unique and creative ways of failure. Sometimes just flubbing on having a healing companion out (we never brought in a 4th after losing the one guy - I figured a heal companion would be better). Finally, we're down to our last bits of patience, someone suggests we try to get a 4th in. We queue up, wait a bit, healer of all things pops in (what are the odds?) I figure maybe we'll have a real chance, but nah, we get reamed, possibly worse than when we had a heal companion.

Healer leaves right after we fail and it falls apart unceremoniously (though not without some cordiality at the end, after all we went through).

The moral of this story is, I now have good reason to avoid Nathema.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
09.07.2019 , 09:20 AM | #9696
I only tried Nathema Vet once. 1 tank, me - dps pt, a healer sorc, and a sniper. So, trinity. After mentioning on entry that I'd never run vet version of this, I was told that 'it's the hardest fp and everyone quits'. It took several tries to beat the first boss. I'd forgotten how it works in SM, and the tank died early on so I was the only one able to taunt it over to the electro thing, but they had to shout at me what to do because I didn't know. For some reason the healer didn't combat revive the tank, I think he was too lowbie to get that ability yet.

Finally we beat it. We're on our way to the next boss going down that stairway thing and the tank suddenly stops, doesn't fight. Is he disconnected? No, he's pissed that the slinger keeps attacking first. We wipe at this mob and the tank and sniper argue briefly about protocol, then the tank abruptly quits. We requeue with a comp out, but everyone we get quits as soon as they see it's nathema, so after a bit of this I quit too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

alexzk's Avatar


alexzk
09.08.2019 , 05:28 AM | #9697
If you have 252+ gear then Nathema and Lost Island master is what you want to do - at least some challenges.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

mothbanquet's Avatar


mothbanquet
09.09.2019 , 04:53 AM | #9698
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Did you assure that person that your Companion was LS?

(And, even better, did you then proceed to make the DS decision?)
It was a very DS-looking DS Jaesa with big glowy sith eyes, I'm not sure I could've made her more evil. And hell yeah, I killed everyone on the spot.

Kraysk's Avatar


Kraysk
09.11.2019 , 03:06 AM | #9699
Too many stories here are about some negative experience.
Let's change that. Weird people you met in GF, in a good way.

So, during last double exp event, in the middle of the night for me and apparently middle of the day for most Star Forge players (time difference is ~12 hours) i was drinking some wine and decided i want to run some MM Blood Hunt.
So i queued and suddenly got insta pop. Travel to instance and only then realized it was actually vet mode.
So my group was: me as lvl 70 corruption sorc in full 258, and 3 juggernauts iirc from lvl 32 to 42, two of them tank spec.
We began, and it was actually one of the best of my experience in this game. Everyone knew what to do. We made it from the beginning to last boss like a knife through butter. Final fight took awhile but in the end we made it.
And then one of guys wrote to chat "it's rare to meet such honest-to-god healer, wanna do some more with us?"
So my heart was filled with warmth, pride and childlike joy, and we did both Czerka FPs too before i gone to sleep.
During that we chatted alot, turns out one player was completely new and two others were returning veterans from 2013 or so.

So i have added all of em to friends, we ran some vets amd MMs together later, and today they all joined the guild im in.
I love GF, even tho sometimes i really hate it.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
09.11.2019 , 04:16 AM | #9700
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraysk View Post
Too many stories here are about some negative experience.
Let's change that. Weird people you met in GF, in a good way.

So, during last double exp event, in the middle of the night for me and apparently middle of the day for most Star Forge players (time difference is ~12 hours) i was drinking some wine and decided i want to run some MM Blood Hunt.
So i queued and suddenly got insta pop. Travel to instance and only then realized it was actually vet mode.
So my group was: me as lvl 70 corruption sorc in full 258, and 3 juggernauts iirc from lvl 32 to 42, two of them tank spec.
We began, and it was actually one of the best of my experience in this game. Everyone knew what to do. We made it from the beginning to last boss like a knife through butter. Final fight took awhile but in the end we made it.
And then one of guys wrote to chat "it's rare to meet such honest-to-god healer, wanna do some more with us?"
So my heart was filled with warmth, pride and childlike joy, and we did both Czerka FPs too before i gone to sleep.
During that we chatted alot, turns out one player was completely new and two others were returning veterans from 2013 or so.

So i have added all of em to friends, we ran some vets amd MMs together later, and today they all joined the guild im in.
I love GF, even tho sometimes i really hate it.
That's awesome!
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.