Petition - Save the Future of our Class Stories...

Chiron_Prime

This was announced today:

Q: Where does the development team stand with regards to individual class stories? Are these still a priority for upcoming content?

A: Great question. The way you choose to overcome your own personal villains is a crucial part of what defines your character, and once you’ve gotten closure on your personal story, you’re ready to be a key player in the larger conflicts that threaten the Empire and the Republic. Moving forward, we’re focusing on those stories – conflicts that decide the fate of the entire Galaxy and demand the attention of other living legends like yourself. You can still put your personal touch on these stories, and you’ll develop relationships just like before, but now the stakes are higher, and the experience can be shared with your friends.

So, if I'm getting this right, Bruce Maclean has basically announced that class stories are done. No more specific stories for your specific class. So the biggest selling point of this game before launch is no longer worthwhile?!

I am the only one that is concerned about this?!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOO!

It will get REALLY boring doing the same stuff over and over again with different characters. Class stories add to replay value. Without more class stories, there's really no reason to go through the extra content with more than one character on each side.

More class stories = yes.

I saw that Q+A also and was disappointed.

While internal/self class story can be something to fall back on it doesn't replace class-specific variation in the game. When WoW killed class stories that was a kick in the teeth as well.

If there needs to be additional 'resources' collected for there to more class-specific story, offer CC-unlocks in the form of story arc chapters. I'd prefer them to be available to everyone but if that's the way we have to get new class story then I'll deal with it.

If someone isn't playing to raid then the replay value needs to be there.

Edited by RAZIM

Who says they can't go back and forth between personal and the wider stories?

They should not leave us in this pit of despair D: I want to know if there will be more Agent-y-ness for my Agent, or if I am forever doomed to repeating the exact same content as my Sorc.

Considering the development time required to create story content, I do find its future to be uncertain in the face of more instant-gratification content.

*rage*

the f2p was one thing, but this ... ? i do not know which guy is responsible, but every mmo needs something to be special, to be different and not a 0815 free to play mmo. this step could be the most stupiest one EA could have gone.

because the one and only thing, which made swtor unique, which was AND is the primary cause for the majority of the players to stay in this world are the class stories.

we all are longing for new class chapters. i hate to be treated like a fool. i and everyone else know the reason: it is to expensive to make new chapters and therefor does not make enough money in SHORT terms.

but if EA really tries to led "Star Wars - The old Republic" stay alive, there is no other way than new class stories. it would bond us for long time, but ...

my hopes are gone and nearly as bad as my english. i'll stay in TOR, i have a few class stories left to play. but i'am not the only player - other, a lot of them, will go.

Edited by BloodyHarry

This isn't really a surprise. They've been saying this for a while now. It's a convenient excuse, since it's much cheaper and easier to mass produce content, particularly farm content (like Raids and Dailies) while ignoring the characters.

It's also boring, and undermines this game's greatest strength. I doubt most of the game's current staff really cares about what makes this game unique and interesting, and that those who do probably don't have much say anyway, being answerable to the corporate bigwigs who are more interested in (failing at) getting WoW's numbers by doing exactly what WoW does, rather than finding success creating its own market, though, sadly.

/Signed

The negative responses are in big numbers. To paraphrase the QnA, they will move forward towards stories that involve more galactic matters. Stories that revolve around the conflict between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic.

To quote Vox_mortis from DarthHater (comments section of the Q&A):

I can clarify on this one a bit. They are indeed moving away from stories such as the one where your character is shaped; i.e., your climb to 50. Rest assured that your character will still remain center stage in some pretty epic confrontations, and the story on Makeb is really just incredible. So, from what I've discussed with them, it just means that your characters formative years are over; now is the time when you become a living legend.

I completely understand that the stories need to evolve. The first few chapters form your character. You get to make your first choices that will define the personality of your character. To reference to the Imperial Agent Storyline (spoiler): In the first chapter you solve an internal Imperial conflict. It is barely related to the Cold War with the republic and the scale of the 'problem' that you solve in chapter 1 is (in my opinion) small compared to the galactic Empire-Republic conflict.

To continue, the personal storyquests all do have in common that you more or less help the allegiance you are on. Whether you are digging up Sith relics or infiltrating terrorist cells, you still help the Empire/Republic. What I think made the personal class storyquests so successful besides good story, is the fact that the missions you have to undertake revolve around the interests and background of your class.

When I am playing my Sith Inquisitor and I go to Makeb, I want to do Sith bussiness there. Of course, I want to resolve the problem in Makeb, but I want to do that from a Sith perspective. Likewise, when I go to Makeb on my IA, I want to do something like infiltrate the Hutt cartel. Propose myself as a mercenary wishing to aid the Hutt's cause for some money--destroying the Hutt cartel from within and do what my character does best; deception and cunning. Perhaps they could make a part of the story the same for everyone, but make several bits of it unique per class so that it fits the role you are playing in the Empire/Republic

While every class solves the same problem in Makeb (unlike the first three chapters, where each class solves unique problems), the telling of the story should still be different enough to the point where my Sith Warrior feels like the Emperor's Wrath and my IA feel like Cypher Nine--Instead of both feeling like the same 'Soldier of the Empire'.

To sum up, because I really babbled on; I think they can still make a story that fits the scale of the Cold War. Since every class had their unique 'shape your character' storyline through chapter 1-3, it would only make sense to evolve towards epic Galactic wide story progression. That means that chapter 4+ has a lot more in common between classes. But I hope and I think they should still add bits and pieces where each class solves the problem differently. An IA should defeat Jaburo (The Hutt leader, can be misspelled) through cunning. A Trooper should defeat Jaburo through tactics. A Sith inquisitor shoud defeat Jaburo through power. A Smuggler should defeat Jaburo through interest for his purse.

I am still not sure if I made really clear how I think of the approach, because I really do want the story to be amazing and more importantly, MORE AMAZING than the previous chapters.

I do not know what Makeb has in store for us. But I know I LOVED the personal class story quests, because the missions I undertook reflected on the role I play in the Empire/Republic. The planetary questchains were most of the time simply not as amazing because no matter what class I played them through, I was merely a pawn of the Empire/Republic. I am going to hold my judgement until I experience the Makeb story myself, and will anxiously await.

I saw that Q+A also and was disappointed.

While internal/self class story can be something to fall back on it doesn't replace class-specific variation in the game. When WoW killed class stories that was a kick in the teeth as well.

If there needs to be additional 'resources' collected for there to more class-specific story, offer CC-unlocks in the form of story arc chapters. I'd prefer them to be available to everyone but if that's the way we have to get new class story then I'll deal with it.

Personally I can't seen why people are complaining about all the change up, I think they rather have a external villain than a internal conflict.

"All shall Know my name and fear it" Mylokii:wea_07:

Signed.

I already figured this was going to happend after they fired Daniel Erickson. They are basically gutting the biggest selling point of this game. Leveling alts past 50 will now be a boring experience, like every other MMO out there. I thought the whole idea in a competative MMO market was to distinguish yourself from your competitors , not just to mimic them.

Bioware should further add on the fundation they have built. The unique class and companion stories add alot to this game. If the class stories are to expensive to make , then tie them to the cartel market , and make the subs have the content for free. ( and in the process giving us another reason to sub)

Edited by Thubb

I thought the whole idea in a competative MMO market was to distinguish yourself from your competitors , not just to mimic them.

As much as I love for class personal stories to return, I must disagree here. Even without class stories, there is a lot more** going for story-wise. If we can assume the level of depth of chapter 4 is about equal as the others, SWTOR leveling experience is still very much a story-focused grind. The issue at hand is of course that while I am sure my first character is going to love running around in Makeb, I will find no such satisfaction with my other alts. The reason I can withstand leveling other ACs past the first, is because I combine PvP spam with the class stories.

** Edit: When I mean 'a lot more' I mean compared to other MMO's. Though I admit WoW is getting some more lore as time goes bye, it is also one of the the worst MMO if you like character immersion imo

Edited by Kameki

If there are no class specific stories in the future I'm going back to WoW. This game was so much better than anything just because of the class stories. Without them, though, I'm done with this game and I'll just have to hope for the best with the new trilogy and wait and see if SWTOR comes back.

This is the same for many other people, sadly. If you truly do this, the game will go down the drain with you earning less money in the end :/

May the Force be with you and may you make wise decisions.... Please???

Signed. While I understand why they want to combine the stories into faction-based only (as explained by someone in another thread, the class stories were basically our character's backstories and now we're moving on to the "main" story, in which our characters collaborate), the class stories are important. What about the

Agents who decided to join the Republic SIS? How long will they have to keep helping the Empire in their dailies and FPs? When can they "officially" join the Republic?

I would assume it comes down to production costs. People are already complaining that the next expansion was ~9 usd. Would you pay more for a expansion that included more of your story? I would if it was of the same quality as the first 50 levels. But I am just one person.

Since I don't raid, the only reason I play is for the class stories. Since Makeb wasn't originally intended to be an expansion, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't have ch. 4. I had been holding onto the hope that ch. 4 was still in the works though for the future.

Ironic that the pre-Makeb publicity/hype that is supposed to get everyone excited is just making people depressed.

Since I don't raid, the only reason I play is for the class stories. Since Makeb wasn't originally intended to be an expansion, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't have ch. 4. I had been holding onto the hope that ch. 4 was still in the works though for the future.

Ironic that the pre-Makeb publicity/hype that is supposed to get everyone excited is just making people depressed.

Been the nature of the game since 1.2, do some searching about who left BW around that time and it might make sense. Only sorry the failure of a CEO for EA lasted as long as he did. Wish he would of been pushed out two years ago.

I'd be lying if I said that particular nugget of information hadn't crippled my interest in playing. Class stories were and are the best part of the game for me.

I guess my operative shouldn't be expecting any calls from Ardun Kothe any time soon, then. Way to completely squander that ending, Bioware.

I'd be lying if I said that particular nugget of information hadn't crippled my interest in playing. Class stories were and are the best part of the game for me.

I guess my operative shouldn't be expecting any calls from Ardun Kothe any time soon, then. Way to completely squander that ending, Bioware.

they are doing this like TV shows, I would suggest no one expect to see a ending other than the servers shutting down when it comes that time.

I would love to see more story and would pay to see more in expansions, but it seems that is not their focus. If you want them to do it, I suggest starting a thread in suggestion area and getting people to sign it.