Premades are ruining non-ranked warzones

Monoth

I do not mean that you in particular are "lazy" and I'm sure you put a good effort in while fighting, but there is -more- effort you can put in, and I'm sure you know it. The point I'm making is that we're not talking about victims here. PuG's are not victims. They are willing combatants (no one forced them to queue for pvp) and if they quit because the competition is too hard, then the fault for dying queue times can just as easily (if not more) rest on them, as it can on "overpowered" premaders.

LOL and you wonder why people don't take you seriously. I can'y believe that you are thinking to put the downfall of SWTOR PvP on the backs of inexperienced,poorly geared noobies. Common, really? :rolleyes:

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL and you wonder why people don't take you seriously. I can'y believe that you are thinking to put the downfall of SWTOR PvP on the backs of inexperienced,poorly geared noobies. Common, really? :rolleyes:

PuG does not equal Inexperienced, poorly geared newbies.

<.< No one takes me seriously... meh... I wonder why I've had people agree with me then... oh those must be the stupid ones amiright?

I think the problem is I try to take people like you seriously and continue to debate with you, when most of the serious players have long abandoned this thread.

I think most serious solo que pvpers with gear etc have more or less given up...just tread water do the pvp daily and figure they wont separate the ques. There just isnt the population for separate ques even with the influx of f2p ppl unless they do xserver too. I think most of us stuck using the solo que to play (talking the geared decent players doing it), are sitting back waiting for a new game to come along that caters to us more. Hopefully eqnext or something gets here soon

Cross-server queues and an actual matchmaking system based on gear and valor would go a long way towards solving the problems with PvP in TOR.

Hey Theron,

What are your thoughts on matchmaking going off of -highest gear average equipped.- (Let's call it HGA)

I'll see if I can explain it, and then list the one snag I can think of.

So let's say you got a fresh 50. They get their recruit gear on (let's say item level 5 for arguments sake). When they enter matchmaking, it sees the HGA they've ever equiped is 5, and tries to match them to as many 5's as possible, before expanding it to 5-6, and finally 5-7.

Now that recruit is mostly in BM gear (level 6). Their new HGA is gear level 6, so even if they stripped naked level 0) and entered matchmaking, it would still pit them against as many 6's as possible, then finally 5-7.

This would then mean anyone transfering WH armor via the legacy system would have an highest average gear level equal to WH even as a fresh 50. Worse case scenario is they hit 50, queue without equipping their WH gear (meaning it sees them as HGA 5) and then equipping it. They get 1 match of "tricking" the system, and from then on even if they got naked, the system would match them at a HGA of 7 (WH).

The only snag I worry about is PvE gear affecting (or not being affected) HGA for PvP.

Yes, I agree and have similar thoughts about an HGA system. But I think it needs to go beyond that.

Players, especially solo queuers, should then have their stats boosted via the Bolster system to be on an equal gear level in these matches so that queue times don't get too long if an equally matched group can't be found.

Edited by TheronFett

Please please get real, we play in a fantasy world but please dont live in one.

Can you imagine the mess and chaos the developers would make of a match making system? Can you imagine the exploits that would be used to abuse such a system? Can you imagine how long it would take the developers to attempt the major programming task you would want them to undertake?

I agree the concept is a sound one, and if BW could deliver it smoothly and in a timely fashion I would agree with you 110%, I just dont believe on past experience that it is within either their capability or their budget.

Whether desirable or not, separating group and solo players is comparatively easliy done.

I think that before any changes are made we now need to see the effects of gear equalisation that appear to be coming with 1.6, at least we will see if the problem is still as severe when new players start with less gear disadvantages and for a shorter grind period.

1. I am a Commando (Dps or Heals as needed, Grinded the WH being DPS)

2. I was Premading (and PuG'ing) since recruit. I managed it by being in a guild (leveled in it) and asking "Anyone for a group?

3. Sometimes there isn't a spot. Guild Groups atleast have a little loyalty to give you a spot over friends (sometimes.)

4. See 1. I am a Commando.

I do not mean that you in particular are "lazy" and I'm sure you put a good effort in while fighting, but there is -more- effort you can put in, and I'm sure you know it. The point I'm making is that we're not talking about victims here. PuG's are not victims. They are willing combatants (no one forced them to queue for pvp) and if they quit because the competition is too hard, then the fault for dying queue times can just as easily (if not more) rest on them, as it can on "overpowered" premaders.

So 1 person = everyone's situation.

Yea that totally make sense.

You can blame the pugs for ruining pvp since they are quitting. Why are they quitting? Matches are predetermined before the fighting begins, depending who is on your team. That's not really fun for them.

So while you are left blaming pugs, those queue's will only get longer and you'll only see the 3 or 4 groups left(probably less) still doing pvp. This competition you seek won't happen with the current system, but if you want to keep believing that it will, that's fine. Even if you can actually log in the game and see that it doesn't work.

1. Never said ranked wasing dying.

2. My quote is "I would rather see ToR die and be remembered for going down trying, than become so easy that logging in rewards you." Has nothing to do about getting my way, (which btw -my- way -is- to make it easier for PuG's to have "fun." You just never seem to understand it.)

You can reword it how ever you like. You want the game to die unless you get your way. You can try to make it sound as honorable and heroic as you want but in the end, you want it to die off if things don't go your way. Glad I cleared that up for you.

Basic principle of equality. 2 = 2, 3 =3, 4 = 4.

Premades consist of an individual who has found 3 other like minded players and grouped with them. The individual is known as Premader, and he plays in a Premade.

A solo'er (or PuG) is a single individual who doesn't group. Now, the Solo'er loses to the Premader more, because his non-group (or random) loses to the Premader's group. The Premader tells the Solo'er that if they found 3 friends (a task the Premader has -already- done) they would have better chances.

The Solo'er replies that the Premader should find 4 -more- friends and do ranked (with a witty attempt to insult their macho-ness).

No matter how you look at it, on the basic principle of equality, you as the solo player are insisting that the Premader do -more- work than you are willing to do. 4 isn't equal to 3, 7 isn't equal to 3.

(Fyi, if you and I were working together, I would not ask you to clean a toilet if I would not do so myself. Yet by the above example, you would have me a clean a toilet because you are unwilling to do so.)

You claim you don't like to use the victim route but you are labeling the premades having this huge burden while the puggers got it so easy. I admit your math is correct, but when actually applied to what's happening in the game...well it can't be applied.

I can easily log in and get 8 people, it's not hard. Wanna know why? People on the server know me, they know the people I run with and we have a good time.

On the other hand,

If you are a solo pugger with recruit that is started their first warzone. If you ask in general for more people, they won't come. Why? Why should they? You are just some random dude and unless you got a reputation of being good in pvp, going by your word alone won't get you that group you want.

So you see? I used in game examples of why you are somewhat wrong. How can I do that? Because it's actually happening, I don't need to speculate on these things.

In that example, a 3 man group can not PLAY. In that example, if there are 14 premaders (of what ever set up of premades) and/or 15 solo'ers in queue, a total of 29 people can not PLAY.

Maybe they should queue solo if they are having trouble finding other groups :p or they can hold on to the dieing ranked pvp queue.

Also in that example, if someone D/C's (or omg, misses the queue) in the Group Queue, that group is gimped the entire match.

Like that doesn't happen already....:rolleyes:

Roflstomp happens not because the Premaders are "Good" but because the PuG's are "Bad." A Good PuG group can atleast meanage a close loss against a Good Premade.

I love how biased this comment is. I'll have to go back to actually using real in game facts again.

High end pvp guilds run warzones a lot, when they do they stomp people. When these groups are in the queue wanna know what happens? Usually people stop queueing after the match and probably never return or they quit early(which is lame).

But hey, if it makes you feel better let's bring in that 2 man "premade" and say they aren't stomping pugs because that is TOTALLY what we were talking about. The truth is, most high end premades don't enjoy competition and they don't enjoy losing. So if they go in ranked pvp and they get stomped by a bigger wolf well then they will stop queueing or quit early....who's bad now?

I haven't said the current system is fine. You are refusing to hear and understand my words and the balancing system I advocate.

First off, I'm not refusing anything considering I do support cross server queue's. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I refuse to see what you are saying, there is a difference.

What you aren't willing to do, is accept that the current system is killing pvp. Even though you said in your post that you know the state of warzones sucks, what you are supporting is just more of the same. Matchmaking alone won't fix this problem. That is the point I'm trying to make.

Also, please note the death of PvP in the above example (PuG's Stop Playing due to...) comes from the PuG's giving up first, not the Premades. <.< Wouldn't that mean PuG's killed PvP?

So the premades that stop queuing for ranked because the big bully beat em up, aren't at fault at all huh? I guess you'll say how you never done such a thing, that's good for you, too bad it still happens the majority of the time.

The irony is that there is no real function for ranked as its been in "pre-season" since it was launched.

Therefore there is no need to make it a rigid 8 man pre-made, why should it not be altered to 4 man groups x2? This would certainly make it easier to organise as my own experience is of wasting half the evening trying to get 8 players together.

It would be worth seeing if this increased the popularity of ranked and therefore put less pre-mades into normal WZ,s.

I cant help but wonder if there are any plans for pre-seaon to end.

So 1 person = everyone's situation.

Yea that totally make sense.

You can blame the pugs for ruining pvp since they are quitting. Why are they quitting? Matches are predetermined before the fighting begins, depending who is on your team. That's not really fun for them.

So while you are left blaming pugs, those queue's will only get longer and you'll only see the 3 or 4 groups left(probably less) still doing pvp. This competition you seek won't happen with the current system, but if you want to keep believing that it will, that's fine. Even if you can actually log in the game and see that it doesn't work.

I do not advocate "No Change/System Fine."

I am simply arguing against split brackets/solo bracket and promoting a matchmaker/flexible system. If your posts do not show you understand even the basic principles of my stance, I will ignore them from here on. If it makes it easier, I'll list them once more.

Nearly all my posts revolve around:

1. We need Matchmaking that matches based on some criteria, be it Gear Level, Highest Average Gear Level, Valor, Win/Losses, etc...

2. We need cross-server queue's for a healthy, more robust population that can handle the criteria restrictions.

3. Players should look at self-improvement as their first option.

Ps. Your last reply to me is one giant cluster-**** of miss managed quotes, until you fix it I won't even attempt a response.

The irony is that there is no real function for ranked as its been in "pre-season" since it was launched.

Therefore there is no need to make it a rigid 8 man pre-made, why should it not be altered to 4 man groups x2? This would certainly make it easier to organise as my own experience is of wasting half the evening trying to get 8 players together.

It would be worth seeing if this increased the popularity of ranked and therefore put less pre-mades into normal WZ,s.

I cant help but wonder if there are any plans for pre-seaon to end.

While I still believe long term, a matchmaking system is needed for a healthy pvp environment, I do think if ranked had a 4 man option (I'm fine with mixed queue, I do not fear going up against an 8 man with 2 "random" 4-mans) we would also see some relief in non-ranked for our -actual- new players.

Edited by Doomsdaycomes

Please please get real, we play in a fantasy world but please dont live in one.

Can you imagine the mess and chaos the developers would make of a match making system? Can you imagine the exploits that would be used to abuse such a system? Can you imagine how long it would take the developers to attempt the major programming task you would want them to undertake?

In some cases, I would agree with you. Nearly every patch has had some sort of failure when it hit the live servers. They ninja nerf some classes and mysteriously buff others on a whim. But I don't buy for one second that having some sort of ranking system for matchmaking is beyond their capabilities. They are already tracking metrics (or at least they say they are), so a matchmaking system would just be using the same data they're already collecting and expounding on them a little. As for cross-server, how difficult can it be? It has existed in many MMOs.

What baffles me is the lack of give a **** this company has towards PvP in general. They have openly stated that they grossly miscalculated how popular PvP would be in TOR and they are making steps to adding more content and balancing classes. They have failed miserably on both fronts.

This is a moot discussion.

By nature premades vs PUGS is a gross imbalance. This problem will only be underlined HEAVILY by the new WZ as premades will be better at focus fire. PUGS are gonna stop PVP'ing in despair.

So either BW fixes the matchmaking or the PVP population will dwindle.

As I posted somewhere else, my suggestion is to increase randomness in groups. This can be achieved by:

1. Solo quers or groups of two for normal wzs (groups of two might have the danger of ending up with 4 healers). No more whining about premades.

2. Groups of 4 for ranked wzs and with minimum valor that corresponds to bm gear at least. This will increase the numbers of people doing ranked imo (what you are a dps commando? no) and make things more interesting. Will also resolve other exploits of the current ranked wz system.

3. Lockout durations for frequent quitters, particularly for ranked. You are obviously excused to leave a wz due to a phone call, but if someone quits 2-3 times within a 2hr period then apply 1 hour of lockout. This will avoid quiting a wz cause you are teamed up with these 4 noobs.

Of course cross-server wzs would be nice, but the above might be easier to implement than x-server.

I am totally against a matchmaking system as it increases waiting times, plus as I have also said take this opportunity to develop your defence. If you take ravage to the face without doing anything about it, then gear won't save you, it will only make you last an extra slash or two.

Edited by MusicRider

PUGS are gonna stop PVP'ing in despair.

So either BW fixes the matchmaking or the PVP population will dwindle.

Yep. Don't even want to play at evening, it's annoying to be killed in 1 skill just because it is RWZ premades against PuGs with good coordination :/ Even WH Elite tank char does not help, because they assist me (good voice coordination) and nobody helps me (pugs). That never happens pugs vs pugs though :/

And i'm not gonna to pay later when current sub ends until my free 3 wzs/week will show something else. Its time to voite by wallet. Too annoying.

3. Lockout durations for frequent quitters, particularly for ranked. You are obviously excused to leave a wz due to a phone call, but if someone quits 2-3 times within a 2hr period then apply 1 hour of lockout. This will avoid quiting a wz cause you are teamed up with these 4 noobs.

Don't please :D I always quit VS before it begins because it is too buggy. 6 fps is avrege here (35+ on others WZs). And game must be restarted after this.

Check the patch notes!!!

Solo queue being released in patch 1.never!!!

Why is this thread still going?

in mmos never doesnt mean never ...especaiiy when theyre bleeding casual subs which is where the money is....think the bakers guild for twinkie....WE WONT GIVE IN YAAAAARRRR!!!!!!!==> *** where did our jobs go....

We are trying to awaken the slumbering giants (devs) regarding the issue.

1. This is PvP and they've met their quota of one response per month in the PvP forum.

2. It's a horrible idea.

3. The real issue is that so many people actually support this idea... and idea which has no place in the game.

in mmos never doesnt mean never ...especaiiy when theyre bleeding casual subs which is where the money is....think the bakers guild for twinkie....WE WONT GIVE IN YAAAAARRRR!!!!!!!==> *** where did our jobs go....

*crosses fingers*

Hopes you're wrong... I think it's a bad idea but you do have a point. The next 6 months will really show whether they're trying to revive it or bleed it to death.

Ayne Rand would be proud of the owners of Hostess, and I hope they dont sell out. I hope they reopen under a new name brand and their factories are all open shop.

ps. if you're not sure which side don't want things to change, the next time you queue solo and go against a PreMade, isolate someone on the other side. Go 1 on 1. You'll find out real quick which side is frantically lobbying against a fix, and why.

:cool:

That's an interesting "angle". :)

I love it when people play the whole "premades are really just baddies, who are scared to queue alone" card, while simultaneously posting in a thread about premades stomping pugs. Not just a river in Egypt....

I for one am tired of.

1. Going up against premades even though there is a perfectly good rated system out there, (why dont they use it? because the ques are way way too long because there is no cross server pvp ques.) premades rolling pugs constantly will only bleed more casual subs and discourage F2P folks from sticking with PVP.

2. no cross server ques... why is it that pretty much every major MMO has this feature esp for pvp but this one does not, most of the player base that pvp's are casuals so the pro pvpers have been pretty much discouraged from queing up for rateds which directs them to steam rolling pugs for smiles and grins. with the pvp que system being left for server only it leaves pvp guilds open for win trading in rates now, if they are the only two groups queing then they will get matched together rince and repeat. We need cross server pvp ques badly.

3. The overly excessive CC in this game to hide class imballance, patch 1.4 was the most rediculous patch to date, there were no players out there that clamord for much more CC in WZ's, pre 1.4 was still high but tollorable but the constant CC is rediculous, by the time your resolve bar fills you are dead, then you get the pleasure of watching it drop behind a invisible wall only to rince and repeat.

4. The dead silence from BW on these issues despite the fact that it is and has been a complaint since most of the major patches esp premade's steam rolling solo que's.

im not saying that the solo ques should not allow you to que with a friend in a two man group, but getting pitted against premades / double premades are just silly and discouraging to those types of players that BW is trying to attract. we cant afford to lose more subs and if the F2P folks say the hang with this game then its the death knell, ( word of mouth advertising is the best type of advertising) if you have lots of people saying this is a silly game then its doomed.

the sad thing is that BW will never read this post or possibly many of the other threads in the pvp forums, any answer is more favorable to dead silence. i would rather them tell me were not going to change this or that and if you dont like it hit the road over them not saying anything at all.

Edited by DarthSabreth