Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy names -- allow us to change them

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:17 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkoDon View Post
I say get rid of surnames completely. They cause too many issues like this and others. Also, if you can't have the same surname as someone else on the server, it kinda forces you to either lvl as fast as possible to get the name you want, in turn skipping the whole point of this game....story. Or forget the name you'd like cause it will most likely be taken when you hit 50 cause you were busy enjoying this game for what it was meant to be....story.

Surnames should have either been avail at char creation, or not at all. Making a last name a reward is just plain w..t..f.
Or you could just create them 5 seconds into the game like in LotRO, and have them non-unique.

It's not like people in that game freak out if someone has the same surname as their character -- they either ignore it, or they RP it; it's always nifty to bump into a relation you didn't know existed.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Lancs
12.26.2011 , 05:18 PM | #22
I made the mistake of picking a name for my SI and then I got a mail in-game telling me it's for ALL my characters. A little late once i'd chosen it.

My name of Darkshire is fine for the dark side and fits them well but it's not so good when I roll toons on the republic side. I hope we see an option to change it sometime.

DarkoDon
12.26.2011 , 05:20 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
Or you could just create them 5 seconds into the game like in LotRO, and have them non-unique.

It's not like people in that game freak out if someone has the same surname as their character -- they either ignore it, or they RP it; it's always nifty to bump into a relation you didn't know existed.

Never had that situation cause I didn't play LoTRO very long. But that would be kinda fun to bump into an unknown relative and exchange some words or goods. lol
Jaltez - 50 ConSeer
Darko - 50 BountyTech
Stan'li - 50 SmugSlinger
Hookah - Be 50 in no time cause its way to easy to lvl in this game - ComMedic

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:21 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancs View Post
I made the mistake of picking a name for my SI and then I got a mail in-game telling me it's for ALL my characters. A little late once i'd chosen it.

My name of Darkshire is fine for the dark side and fits them well but it's not so good when I roll toons on the republic side. I hope we see an option to change it sometime.
Funnily enough, my last name also references a town in a Blizzard game -- I had thought that, since choosing such a name is a minor violation of the TOS, that getting it changed would be a breeze -- after all, wouldn't Bioware want to avoid obvious references to a competing product constantly running around on their servers?

But no, the CS team can't change any surnames.

That's pro. That's quite pro.

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:23 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkoDon View Post
Never had that situation cause I didn't play LoTRO very long. But that would be kinda fun to bump into an unknown relative and exchange some words or goods. lol
Oh, it always was. Of course, most people copy surnames consciously, because they want to create a family or a clan or something and want to share the same name. But when it happened by accident on a roleplaying server? Always a hoot -- particularly as a hobbit, whom as Tolkien tells it, always assume that someone with the same last name must be a distant, if previously unknown, relative. It happened to Frodo with Underhill when he visited Bree.

But, yeah, it's fun to play things like that out. Because the first names were unique, you were never going to run into a clone of yourself. But the same last name? That's just a good time waiting to happen.

Lancs
12.26.2011 , 05:26 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
Oh, it always was. Of course, most people copy surnames consciously, because they want to create a family or a clan or something and want to share the same name. But when it happened by accident on a roleplaying server? Always a hoot -- particularly as a hobbit, whom as Tolkien tells it, always assume that someone with the same last name must be a distant, if previously unknown, relative. It happened to Frodo with Underhill when he visited Bree.

But, yeah, it's fun to play things like that out. Because the first names were unique, you were never going to run into a clone of yourself. But the same last name? That's just a good time waiting to happen.
I totally forgot about Darkshire in WOW. Now I do feel silly

I initially thought that as i'm from Lancashire and i'm on the dark side, Darkshire would be fine, lol. Oh the shame!

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:28 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancs View Post
I totally forgot about Darkshire in WOW. Now I do feel silly

I initially thought that as i'm from Lancashire and i'm on the dark side, Darkshire would be fine, lol. Oh the shame!
Heh, yeah. My last name is a town in Diablo II. I was totally thinking that changing it would be a breeze... like 'hey Bioware, this name kinda violates the TOS a bit, could you possibly, you know, move on this?'

Nope. They can't do that. Why they can't do that is beyond me. If the CS people had been given the tools to do such a thing, surely a change would have taken less time than it did to compose the email denying me such a thing? I mean, half of that email was clearly hand-typed, even if the second half was not.

Bammur
12.26.2011 , 05:31 PM | #28
I have 4 character names that I have used for a long time in many different MMO's. Each one has a small backstory, and I tend to use the names for similar style classes from game to game. They also have their own last names.

In SWTOR, since I can't use different last names, my solution was to name the Legacy after the EQ server they all started on. I'm not thrilled with this idea, but as long as I use the legacy tag and not the surname, I'm ok with it.

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Bammur View Post
I have 4 character names that I have used for a long time in many different MMO's. Each one has a small backstory, and I tend to use the names for similar style classes from game to game. They also have their own last names.

In SWTOR, since I can't use different last names, my solution was to name the Legacy after the EQ server they all started on. I'm not thrilled with this idea, but as long as I use the legacy tag and not the surname, I'm ok with it.
See, I have a pair of characters who share the same last name, so I decided to bank on that and just shrug every time I saw an alt that lacked the last name.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine either character as a Sith.

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 05:46 PM | #30
Back up there.