Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Dungeon Finder Needed Badly


Hurkan's Avatar


Hurkan
02.07.2012 , 12:25 PM | #21
1. A LFG global channel is a nice *hotfix*, despite the spam it would be a channel you could join/leave at any time. Made lot's of friends in past games using this rudimentary tool, some of them still play with me today.

2. The final solution is already in the bottom right corner of the UI.
An icon, that puts you or your group in a queue for the desired flashpoint (server only).

If the current PVP queue button is not killing the community, I don't understand how the hell a PVE button with the exact same functionality will be able to do it. You MAY have to create some sort of flashpoint *locking* mechanisms to avoid people to level up only using this tool. Also, full teleportation to the flashpoint is not needed imo (they are all in the same place).

Pink_Saber's Avatar


Pink_Saber
02.07.2012 , 12:25 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Haroshia View Post
Spamming general for hours isn't social. Some people want to grind dungeons without having to spam general for hours. Really groups are as anti-social as you make them, regardless of how they're formed.
Did I not just say I think a better LFG tool would be a good thing? You might want to lighten up on the knee-jerking a bit.

And if you think how groups are formed has no effect on how social they are, well, I completely disagree. I think a system that slams a bunch of people together and drops them into an instance in front of their first fight has a huge effect on how social groups are. I've seen it first-hand, as have many others.

lubberlick's Avatar


lubberlick
02.07.2012 , 12:25 PM | #23
Due to the lack of an automated LFG tool in this game, I have met more new people and had more random fun with these people in the past month then in the past year of WoW. It may seem strange to some of you but being forced as a community to coordinate and work together in order to achieve goals is what makes an MMO succeed.

I would rather sit around for 30 minutes to forever trying to make groups and being social and talking in general chat and talking to prospective group members then click on a button and be automagically ported to an instance with 3 other people I may never see again.

The benefit of an LFG system is that content becomes more accessable for the masses and people can have thier instant gratification. This is what people want in all aspects of life. The direct result of this is that content becomes stale faster and rewards feel less epic.

If you want a game to have longevity and feel epic and be enjoyable for years to come it must be difficult and take time, or fast-paced twitchy and churn content constantly. FPS and Action-RPG are designed to be fast-paced twitchy and as a result churn content (read: map packs). MMO-RPG is the genre that is supposed to be slow, difficult and time based.

Please BW/EA/Lucas do not try to fight WoW directly. Create something different. The MMO community is divided heavily between those who want instant gratification and those who want challenge and reward. WoW owns the instant gratification crowd and I would love to see you guys go the way of providing for the challenge crowd. Eve has kept themselves successful through doing it thier own way for years. Set yourself apart from the WoW clones (read: eq clones) and keep this game pure and in the direction you are already going.

At this point it is my opinion that the only thing that keeps WoW going is the snowball effect of its previous success. There is a reason that every new MMO comes out is touted as the WoW-killer. It is because people want something other then WoW. Then a new game comes out and tries to do it differently, but the people are so conditioned by WoW that they complain and force the company to turn it into a WoW-clone. The first WoW-Killer will refuse to bow to this and make something different then WoW. They will make Hard, Challenging, Time Consuming, and EPIC content that you feel amazing for completing.

Down with instant gratification in SWTOR! Give me EPIC gratification!

Bazouk's Avatar


Bazouk
02.07.2012 , 12:26 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Pink_Saber View Post
I think a better LFG tool would be cool. A WoW/Rift style instant-teleport machine? Please, no. Don't need and don't want.

If a tool is added, I really hope it just makes finding people to group with easier, but doesn't turn into the anti-social grind-o-matic those other games have. Anything that further trivializes the social aspects of the game isn't a good thing.

game features don't trivialize the social aspects of a game.

anti-social people do. and anti social people spend more time and more money playing video games in virtual worlds than anyone else. whether or not we have a low opinion of anti-social people, it would make good business sense to give them what they want before they find someone else who will. it isn't difficult to understand. blizzard gets it. trion gets it. if bioware doesn't get it, it's their loss. and it's a BIG loss.

Haroshia's Avatar


Haroshia
02.07.2012 , 12:28 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Pink_Saber View Post
Did I not just say I think a better LFG tool would be a good thing? You might want to lighten up on the knee-jerking a bit.
Picture me saying this while casually taking a sip of beer rather than frothing with rage. I'm saying that the LFG tool doesn't make the game any more anti-social in response to you saying to be cautious of it.

Haroshia's Avatar


Haroshia
02.07.2012 , 12:30 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by lubberlick View Post
Due to the lack of an automated LFG tool in this game, I have met more new people and had more random fun with these people in the past month then in the past year of WoW. It may seem strange to some of you but being forced as a community to coordinate and work together in order to achieve goals is what makes an MMO succeed.

I would rather sit around for 30 minutes to forever trying to make groups and being social and talking in general chat and talking to prospective group members then click on a button and be automagically ported to an instance with 3 other people I may never see again.

The benefit of an LFG system is that content becomes more accessable for the masses and people can have thier instant gratification. This is what people want in all aspects of life. The direct result of this is that content becomes stale faster and rewards feel less epic.

If you want a game to have longevity and feel epic and be enjoyable for years to come it must be difficult and take time, or fast-paced twitchy and churn content constantly. FPS and Action-RPG are designed to be fast-paced twitchy and as a result churn content (read: map packs). MMO-RPG is the genre that is supposed to be slow, difficult and time based.

Please BW/EA/Lucas do not try to fight WoW directly. Create something different. The MMO community is divided heavily between those who want instant gratification and those who want challenge and reward. WoW owns the instant gratification crowd and I would love to see you guys go the way of providing for the challenge crowd. Eve has kept themselves successful through doing it thier own way for years. Set yourself apart from the WoW clones (read: eq clones) and keep this game pure and in the direction you are already going.

At this point it is my opinion that the only thing that keeps WoW going is the snowball effect of its previous success. There is a reason that every new MMO comes out is touted as the WoW-killer. It is because people want something other then WoW. Then a new game comes out and tries to do it differently, but the people are so conditioned by WoW that they complain and force the company to turn it into a WoW-clone. The first WoW-Killer will refuse to bow to this and make something different then WoW. They will make Hard, Challenging, Time Consuming, and EPIC content that you feel amazing for completing.

Down with instant gratification in SWTOR! Give me EPIC gratification!
I too am a masochist.

Pink_Saber's Avatar


Pink_Saber
02.07.2012 , 12:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Haroshia View Post
Picture me saying this while casually taking a sip of beer rather than frothing with rage. I'm saying that the LFG tool doesn't make the game any more anti-social in response to you saying to be cautious of it.
Well, then it would have been better to actually make your point, rather than some totally irrelevant comment about spamming for hours. I'd like to see less of that, too.

However, I disagree that WoW-style LFG tools don't effect how social groups are, and I have to assume anyone who thinks they don't didn't group both before and after it was implemented there.

Instantly forming a group and dropping it into an instance removes most opportunities for communication before the first fight starts. It's just boom, you're here, now start killing things. Sure, maybe that's great if all you want to do is grind instances and see everyone else as voiceless NPCs, but there's something humanizing about actually needing to talk a little before you get started. Even if it's something as simple as "be there in a couple minutes," you get a sense that there are real people playing with you, which can only lead to people treating each other better. If you ask me, that aspect of WoW/Rift-style LFD tools has a much more detrimental effect on behavior than the cross-server anonymity aspect people are always pointing as as the reason there are so many jerks in those groups.

lubberlick's Avatar


lubberlick
02.07.2012 , 12:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Haroshia View Post
I too am a masochist.
I wouldn't say that. I just enjoy having something to look forward to doing in the game when I logon rather then having 10 characters all done up because it was only a button click away. Then logging off till the next patch several months away still.

Haroshia's Avatar


Haroshia
02.07.2012 , 12:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Pink_Saber View Post
Well, then it would have been better to actually make your point, rather than some totally irrelevant comment about spamming for hours. I'd like to see less of that, too.

However, I disagree that WoW-style LFG tools don't effect how social groups are, and I have to assume anyone who thinks they don't didn't group both before and after it was implemented there.

Instantly forming a group and dropping it into an instance removes most opportunities for communication before the first fight starts. It's just boom, you're here, now start killing things. Sure, maybe that's great if all you want to do is grind instances and see everyone else as voiceless NPCs, but there's something humanizing about actually needing to talk a little before you get started. Even if it's something as simple as "be there in a couple minutes," you get a sense that there are real people playing with you, which can only lead to people treating each other better. If you ask me, that aspect of WoW/Rift-style LFD tools has a much more detrimental effect on behavior than the cross-server anonymity aspect people are always pointing as as the reason there are so many jerks in those groups.
I've been playing MMOs long before WoW. I can see your point, but at the same time I'm willing to sacrifice the minimal social interaction for the ability to quickly play the game.

Moricthian's Avatar


Moricthian
02.07.2012 , 12:40 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by lubberlick View Post
I wouldn't say that. I just enjoy having something to look forward to doing in the game when I logon rather then having 10 characters all done up because it was only a button click away. Then logging off till the next patch several months away still.
And BW should just force everyone to play and enjoy the game in the exact same way you do.

Options are a good thing.