Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel
12.13.2011 , 11:53 AM | #1
Quote:
Just to be clear, this thread is advocating an in-game Bioware built tool and not a third-party addon.

Recount is not just a "damage meter"... it is a graphical interface which allows you to view group activity in the combat log i.e. Damage Done over the duration of the fight by each player, Friendly Fire, Damage Taken, Healing Done, Absorbs, Healing Taken, Overhealing Done, Deaths, DOT Uptime, HOT Uptime, Player Combat Activity, Dispels, The Dispelled, Interrupts, Ressers, CC Breakers, Resources Gained, etc.

I believe these tools play an important role in identifying whether a player is doing well or under-performing. Nevertheless, these graphs should be the starting point – an indicator that you should be looking more closely at the situation. Used wisely, a tool like this could greatly improve guild performance.

Some individuals are fearful of an "elitist" backlash caused by the improper use of such a tool. Nevertheless, people have also argued that this tool would actually curb elitist behavior based on FACTS and DATA rather than Gear, Achievements, Spec, Gut Feeling or Favoritism.

The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?

With Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group your DPS sucks.

Without Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group you are wearing a green helm and your gear isn't good enough for this encounter. (You get kicked, even if you were top DPS)
-
EDIT: It would also totally eliminate "recount spam". They could disable all data broadcasts... If everyone has access to the information there would be no need to broadcast the results.

EDIT UPDATE: Fansite Summit: CRR Interview with Georg Zoeller
-
During the speed-fire round starting at 13:00 in the video. Georg confirms an out of game COMBAT LOG!

People will have access to combat logs please bring a recount version in the game!

I think Georg Zoeller understands our pain for not having a combat log at launch, let's hope they "get it right" and quickly. Georg's response to "No Combat Log at Launch"

People who don't like Recount.
!!█!█!█!█[]█!█!!▐!▓▓▓ Achiever: 107%, Killer: 53%, Socializer: 33%, Explorer: 13% ▓▓▓▓)

Vastalee
01.16.2012 , 08:47 PM | #2
Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss the topic of [topic].

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:
  1. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  2. Please stay on topic.
  3. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  4. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  5. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

jarjarloves
01.16.2012 , 08:49 PM | #3
NO they are making a Damage meter available for PERSONAL use. IE you can see your own damage but not others.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

Kourage
01.16.2012 , 08:51 PM | #4
I'm in favor of combat logs.

If someone wants to make a combat parser, I'll probably use it. Helps me optimize my performance.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Krazeh
01.16.2012 , 08:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
NO they are making a Damage meter available for PERSONAL use. IE you can see your own damage but not others.
Which is great right up until the point I want to know whether or not i'm performing as well as I could but have nothing at all to compare myself with.

jarjarloves
01.16.2012 , 08:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
Which is great right up until the point I want to know whether or not i'm performing as well as I could but have nothing at all to compare myself with.
and that is fine. I am against doing a group or raid recount. Personal is fine group or raid is bad

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

Rasstavad
01.16.2012 , 08:56 PM | #7
Yes - group meters are needed. I can understand that people knowing each others relative performance seems to scare the snot of some folks - but the access to such information has much more positive benefits than negative.

... and no, that one time that dude in Heroic SFK yelled at you for being out DPS'd by the healer isn't a reason not to have it.

Kourage
01.16.2012 , 08:56 PM | #8
Not true at all.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Krazeh
01.16.2012 , 08:57 PM | #9
and that is fine. I am against doing a group or raid recount. Personal is fine group or raid is bad
No it's not fine. Well not unless you don't actually care in the slightest about whether or not you're performing as well as you could be or if you're holding your group back.

trublmaker
01.16.2012 , 08:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
No worries, if you followed the cookie cutter instructions for your class it should not be a problem. Further evaluation can be obtained via the personal combat log.