Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nightblazer
12.19.2018 , 12:56 AM | #1831
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
7+ years now and Bioware still hasn't delivered on their promise to fix/re-introduce chat bubbles. And they are still avoiding to talk about the issue like a pest. Rumor and innuendo is that since they promised they'd announce chat bubbles at a Cantina, they cancelled Cantinas so they'd never have to do so!

Happy thread Anniversary!
My personal opinion is that while a nice RP.thing to add, probably not a huge priority for them. I don't think they have forgotten but they probably don't see a big enough ROI for the game especially if the issue they were trying to fix would involve more and cost more then what they would need to put in.

While some kind of update would be nice, don't see this happening, if ever.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

Glzmo
12.20.2018 , 01:00 PM | #1832
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
My personal opinion is that while a nice RP.thing to add, probably not a huge priority for them. I don't think they have forgotten but they probably don't see a big enough ROI for the game especially if the issue they were trying to fix would involve more and cost more then what they would need to put in.

While some kind of update would be nice, don't see this happening, if ever.
Thing is, they probably wouldn't even need to fix it. The problem (as the GUI dev at a time has stated) was that chat bubbles were unoptimized and ate up 400MB of video memory. This was a problem back when standard video cards had 128MB-256MB Video RAM. Nowadays even the lowest end video cards have at least 2GB of Video RAM, so they could easily just add the old code without any fixes and it would work fine for most people (and the rest could just toggle them off). Plus, they said they actually knew how to fix the memory footprint issue (although I doubt any of the so-called "devs" of today still know how to), since they did the same to nameplates before launch just weren't able to apply it to chat bubbles in time for launch.

Not ever giving it any priority over 7+ years is just inexcusable. But I guess if they can't sell it on the Cartel store it's just not high priority for this game nowadays.

AscendingSky
12.20.2018 , 03:30 PM | #1833
Please no. Trolls can already make open world RP impossible to do by spamming built-in emotes to scroll the chat window endlessly upwards (since /ignore doesn't block those messages in chat). It would be even worse if they could cover the whole screen with chat bubbles at the same time.
#FixStrongholds
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Neulwen
12.20.2018 , 03:57 PM | #1834
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
Please no. Trolls can already make open world RP impossible to do by spamming built-in emotes to scroll the chat window endlessly upwards (since /ignore doesn't block those messages in chat). It would be even worse if they could cover the whole screen with chat bubbles at the same time.
You could just toggle them off if you don't want.

SteveTheCynic
12.20.2018 , 04:36 PM | #1835
Quote: Originally Posted by Neulwen View Post
Except that the main "push" for even having them is from the RP crowd, who are the indicated trollees...
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

MAXIMUMFAIRYSUIT
05.26.2019 , 02:06 AM | #1836
So this game is pushing a decade old and still no Chat Bubbles? I remember back when I played in launch everyone was asking for this...Also clickable nameplates...what the heck is going at Bioware?

ytrenor
10.22.2019 , 12:21 PM | #1837
Quote: Originally Posted by Neulwen View Post
Rather, off by default, and toggle on if you want it.
Not everyone is interested in RP (sorta grown-up version of playing with dolls).

BelorfinSiana
10.22.2019 , 05:49 PM | #1838
Ooo, dev post.

... 2012
The Siana Legacy - Star Forge
Isharo Izark; Jorran Reynn; Aldo Fetmirna; Zelorfin; Valurin Raster; Mechinus; Belorfin (Siana); Lucîan

Stubacca
10.24.2019 , 07:31 AM | #1839
Since I haven't played in a while and got a friend referral I was hoping by now there ought to be at least a basic toggle option to enable chat bubbles available. Alas, it still isn't the case. I was going to subscribe, but since this feature still isn't in, I'll let my free friend referral time run out instead.

Come on, "Bioware" or rather EAw, it can't be that hard, can it? But I guess you don't even want to try as it's more important for you to waste development time on the cartel market and ripping players off than adding useful and long-promised features to the game!

Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Thing is, they probably wouldn't even need to fix it. The problem (as the GUI dev at a time has stated) was that chat bubbles were unoptimized and ate up 400MB of video memory. This was a problem back when standard video cards had 128MB-256MB Video RAM. Nowadays even the lowest end video cards have at least 2GB of Video RAM, so they could easily just add the old code without any fixes and it would work fine for most people (and the rest could just toggle them off). Plus, they said they actually knew how to fix the memory footprint issue (although I doubt any of the so-called "devs" of today still know how to), since they did the same to nameplates before launch just weren't able to apply it to chat bubbles in time for launch.

Not ever giving it any priority over 7+ years is just inexcusable. But I guess if they can't sell it on the Cartel store it's just not high priority for this game nowadays.
Agreed. It's a very sad state of affairs, but I guess one can't expect any better from EA.
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.