Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

Scorpienne

TL;DR Summary:

1. CHARACTER NAME AND LEGACY NAME CHOICES ARE FINAL - NO CHANGES!!! CHOOSE AN APPROPRIATE NAME THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, BECAUSE YOU'RE STUCK WITH IT. BW has said that they may allow paid name changes in the future. No one knows for sure when this would happen or how much it would cost.

2. BW has rules about character names here. No vulgarity, profanity, sex or drug references, names of pre-existing characters from Star Wars or other media, celebrities, or historical figures.

3. On PvE and PvP servers, as long as your name is legal, it doesn't much matter. On RP servers you should have a Star Warsy name.

4. People are going to judge you by your name. Your choice in name sends a message. What are you trying to say with your name?

You are probably going to need a username...

By the virtue of reading this, you have a SWTOR username, and have already or will be soon choosing a character name. You'll hopefully need a legacy name too.

Keep in mind, on PvE and PvP servers, no one cares too much what your character name is as long as it doesn't violate Bioware's Rules of Conduct.

On RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers, many (maybe most?) RPers are going to be upset-offended-put off or otherwise disappointed in you if your name isn’t “Star Warsy”.

If you're stuck, get help!

The majority of people choose usernames and character names that are pretty reasonable and original. The in-game random name generator is a good choice. Here are some other random name generators. If you google up names, you can find plenty of places that will give you rather interesting and original names.

http://swg.stratics.com/content/gameplay/characters/randomname.php

http://www.namegenerator.biz/star-wars-name-generator.php

http://www.dimfuture.net/starwars/random/generate.php

First, make sure your name is “legal”

Bioware does take names seriously and has outlined a naming policy in their Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. If someone reports your name, and you're in violation of the ToS, then you might be assigned a new name, forced to change your name, or have your account banned.

Summary of the naming conventions in the Terms of Service (item #4):

• No hate speech, vulgar, sexual, or drug-related names.
  • No harassing or defamatory names.
  • No EA, BW, or Lucas references.
  • No copyrighted or trademarked person or product names.
  • No names from pop culture or of religious or historical importance.
  • No reference to names used in Star Wars.
  • No names with titles or ranks (Darth, General.)
  • No leet speek, bunches of xXx-s, or gibberish.
  • No alternative spellings to get around these rules.

Check these websites for details:

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/termsofservice

When someone reports your name, you might have to change it, they might assign you a new name, or you could get your account banned.

Your name is a message - what are you trying to say?

If you're trying to offend people, being silly, or way off-topic, then you're going to get judged. Your character name is what people use to get their first impression of you. When you are deciding what username and what character name you want to use, think about how that character name will appear to other people and think about what you're trying to say about yourself by choosing that character name.

Do you appear to be someone people should admire? Should like? Should trust?

Do you appear to be someone people will want to play with? Will want in their guild? Will want with them in a flashpoint?

Most folks only have so many hours to play SWTOR. Why would they waste their time with someone who isn't taking the game seriously enough to play well and be fun?

On non-RP servers, you’re wide open. If you love PvP then maybe you want to be “ThaGankstah22”. If you love clowns, maybe you want to be “Clownpantz”. Knock yourself out! However, remember that your name projects an image for other people. If you’re in a warzone with a name like GonnaGetcha, or TrooperHater, or BetterThanU then people may be lining up to beat you silly. If you want that kind of attention, then go for it. Many people do not want that kind of attention.

You should have a Star Warsy Name on a RP Servers

If you want to RP, or just exist peacably on a RP server, you should have a name that RPers will find interesting, unique, and appropriate. If your name is really blatantly not a Star Wars name, you’re going to upset some folks in the RP community. They may make their displeasure known by refusing to help you, shunning you, or making you their number one priority in PvP. If you're interested in RP, you will get nowhere with a name like Darth Pancakes or Flygirl JLo.

There is a valid debate on character name vs callsign and you'll have to make that decision for yourself. On the one hand, sometimes callsigns may seem like dumb character names, until you realize that they're a callsign. "Goose" or "Maverick" or "WrongWay" or "T-Bone" or "Razor" seem like super dumb names... until you put your callsign filter on and they make pretty good sense (the first two are from Top Gun and the last 3 are from IRL WWII aviators).

I'm a guild leader in a light RP guild on a RP server. I have to judge people on a short electronic guild application all the time. Part of that process is looking at character and user names and seeing what people are trying to communicate through their choices. I have to speculate on how this person will reflect back on my judgement and on our guild. If I don't understand an applicant's username, then I will absolutely ask where it came from to get an explanation. However, if your username is offensive, if your character name is stupid or silly or off-topic, then you're not joining my guild.

OMG, you have an awful name!

If you care about names, then I encourage you to report people who violate Bioware's rules by clicking on the ? in the game menu and open a ticket with customer service. That's the best and most appropriate way to deal with it. Don’t even bother to whisper the player – he can’t even change his own name.

OMG, I have an awful name!

Sometimes people realize that they have made a horrible mistake. Sometimes, some people (not everyone, not all the time) have been able to submit a ticket to customer service to get their name changed, particularly if the name violates the BW naming policies. If you realize you have an awful name, then this may (or may not) be a potential fix for you.

So when you get to that character creation screen, pause, reflect, and with great deliberation, choose your character name wisely. This is a character name that people are going to be judging you by for many hours, even months, maybe years.

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thread, words and grammar chosen carefully and all, but I'm afraid you might have wasted your time. Many of the people playing don't read the forums and among those who do, there are many who just don't care. Even on an RP-Server (I'm playing on one) I had to see ssjvegettos, ânikín-skywalkers and dàrthrævans already so...

Anyway don't let my post discourage you. Seeing players try to improve the gaming experience for others is always a nice thing.

Be ready though, I'm pretty sure trolls will start to flame you in this thread rather soon.

Edited by Shardas

Whenever I see one of the 47 variously spelled "Revan"s on my server, I think "o rly?"

Eventually, if you insist on being Luuke Sk'eye'walker, someone will report you enough that you get a free (forced) name change. Then you can go cry to customer service about how mean they are and how you want compensation because you can't imagine your character being anyone other than "Empra'Palpatine".

Are we so lacking in imagination that we can't pick names that aren't simply copying directly from known Star Wars characters?

The post above is right on. SamuraiKillerJedi is just not a good name. If you have the savvy to play a complicated MMO, take 5 minutes and google "names", then write down a list of reasonable name choices before you generate a character. Have some *basic* idea as to a name and story of that persona. There is nothing wrong with picking literary or movie names, but try not to be totally obvious. Ethan Hawke and LadyHawke and BlackHawk won't cut it, but you could be Ghandi Hawke or Jack'Awkins and no one is going to complain. If you *must* make your character name as a descriptive phrase, do a couple minutes research into cultures where names = phrases (real or fictional). John M. Ford did pretty good with Cloud-hunter Who Keeps His Sister's Council and "He Who Dares the Word of Words in Darkness". Wisp of the Dell doesn't sound so bad either. "Poopsinmypants" isn't gonna fly.

I see people LFG who have inappropriate names and I just ignore them. Then they wonder why they can't get a group. And I don't want to be a part of a guild that takes in people who choose dumb inappropriate names either. I just don't see any reason trying to waste my time playing with someone whose name is offensive or is "Laya'Urgana'Solo". The *sole* exception to this is when I know they're less than 12 years old up front, and then I try to be kind to them so they grow up enjoying playing games with people; leading by example seems to work with the younger crowd.

So if you're a new player who has bothered to stumble across these forums and this thread, buy a clue.

Shush, Paige! How will we now identify the jackwagons if you warn them?

In all seriousness, a very fine post. I've been a guild officer for as long as I can remember, and am currently acting as a guild leader. Very often one would not even be considered based on an outlandish name choice. When pugging people in, I'm pretty sure that our recruitment officer would not chose to whisper someone utilizing a body part as an aspect of their name. ;p

Good post, and I mostly agree :)

You will be judged on the name you choose but everyone has their own judgement when it comes to name. Me - personally - hate people who can't be original, and copy a name from somewhere else. I don't care if it is Starwars or any other established fiction, if you stole it then you have no imagination. Just make up a name, anything, and it will be better than yet another fiction-rip-off.

Unlike OP though, I have no problem with a bit of humour. Darth Pancake made me smile. There are obvious limits to this though.

What I don't like is when people try and make a sentence with their name, and include a star-warsy title. I've seen more than one "JediMasterMark/John/Dave" name running around the place. I guess they won't be using the title "Jedi" or "Master" when they actually achieve it because that would look even dumber ... Jedi JediMasterMark, or Master JediMasterMark.

I don't see anything wrong with your "silly" names. What if the guy is named Ronald McDougal? What if I really like Ham Salads? What if I really like my job at IBM?

I can see how on an RP server those names might be unwelcome to some, but in general what's the big deal? Games are supposed to be fun and there's not much of a line between silly and fun.

It sounds like you want us all to have totally original, cool sounding names. Some of us suck at making up names, though. Maybe you should give ClownPants the benefit of the doubt next time he's politely LFG?

I don't see anything wrong with your "silly" names.

I can see how on an RP server those names might be unwelcome to some, but in general what's the big deal? Games are supposed to be fun and there's not much of a line between silly and fun.

To each their own. I play on an RP server and so the suspension of disbelief is important to me. Silly and unoriginal names really annoy me. They really annoy a lot of RP folks. The culture and climate on a PvE or PvP server may be different.

It sounds like you want us all to have totally original, cool sounding names. Some of us suck at making up names, though. Maybe you should give ClownPants the benefit of the doubt next time he's politely LFG?

You have it precisely. I do want every character to have a totally original cool sounding name. You have the power of the internet, sir. You also have a random name generator. It is within everyone's power to use both of these tools wisely.

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

I play on an RP server ...

I'll give you that ClownPants on an RP server is different from ClownPants on a PVP server, and I'd maybe wonder why that guy rolled on an RP server.

I'll also point out that ClownPants chose his name just as you are choosing to be annoyed by it.

I do agree with some of the example names given, however, what is so offensive about a silly name like "blunt-tacular", the other names listed are totally understandable.

And I am not intending to piss anyone off here, this thread is well written, and very informative. Just curious as to why the "blunt-tacular" is under the offensive listing.

To me thats just a silly name.

I'll give you that ClownPants on an RP server is different from ClownPants on a PVP server, and I'd maybe wonder why that guy rolled on an RP server.

Fair enough! :-D This is definitely a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing when it comes to the cultural differences between RP, PvP, and PvE servers.

I'll also point out that ClownPants chose his name just as you are choosing to be annoyed by it.

Very true. I can, should, and do *only* control my own actions and responses. ClownPants is sending me a message by choosing that name on an RP server, and I have recieved and understood it quite clearly. Though I'm annoyed, my only response is silently ignoring him. He paid is $60 plus $15 a month to play this game just like I did. If his username isn't related to sex, drugs, or hate speech, I don't even bother reporing him. He isn't worth any more of my time than it takes to add him to the ignore list.

Paige

And I am not intending to piss anyone off here, this thread is well written, and very informative. Just curious as to why the "blunt-tacular" is under the offensive listing.

Ah, no worries. A "blunt" is a reference to smokeable drugs. Google it. Just maybe not on a work or parental computer.

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle.

I enjoy running across, 'Orly-wan', 'Qui-gong', 'Duke'skyvvalker (that's with double v)', 'Agent-ooseven (with the title Agent..)', 'Papa-smurf (chiss)', etc.

Now if they're really offensive, like having derogatory terms/swear words, then report them.

But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.

I'm a newbie to online gaming, this is my first in fact. And I had fun creating a first name. Certainly no need to identify with my own personal life or be "noticed" by being funny or silly. So as the name only reflected the character I'd eventually become any interesting name would do. But what's the excuse for not being able to think up an interesting name conducive to the game environment when they provide an abundance of randomized name you can choose from. At least 1out of about 8 sound pretty cool and you can roll through them as long as you like.

I created my own name "Dr'zhur" [druh-zhur] as a matter of something easy to pronounce for my first character. Little did I know as I progressed and became a Sage healer would I get an appropriate nick of "Dr" [doctor] . But I thought that was just fate and pretty cool.

Remember, these names need to be text in conversations. it's irritating when you have to resort to initials or some abbreviated version because some guy's name is a dozen characters long or too strange to form a decent nick.

Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle. {snip} But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.

To each their own. Some people won't care about silly user names. Some people will. Both are valid ways of reacting to the world.

The point was to ask people to consciously and deliberately choose usernames that project the image that they are trying to project.

Paige

This is something I have to agree with. While silly names are good for a chuckle, it gets old. The name does not have to be completely original, but at least show you put some thought into. Personally, I like to take ancient Greek and Roman names and twist the spelling around. Nobody famous, but there are some good supporting historical characters that make good MMO names. I would much rather see "Darth Xerxes" than "Master Cheeseburger".

Again, your reason applies to RP server. I agree 100% that this applies to RPers.

But no one cares about how his/her character's name will reflect on others on non-RP servers.

Not in swtor, not in that big MMO, and not in all the other MMOs. I've never met anyone who said 'oh let's not invite him because he's got a ridiculous name'. That would only happen in RP servers.

In fact, if someone brought up this issue in a non-RP server, people would get more offended by him/her than the Guywithastick.

I mean if goofy names irk you so much, Coruscant/Dromund Kass chat should be enough to make you reroll.

To each their own. Some people won't care about silly user names. Some people will. Both are valid ways of reacting to the world.

The point was to ask people to consciously and deliberately choose usernames that project the image that they are trying to project.

Paige

Again, your reason applies to RP server. I agree 100% that this applies to RPers.

But no one cares about how his/her character's name will reflect on others on non-RP servers.

I politely and respectfully disagree with the statement that "no one cares" about names on non-RP servers. It is my belief and experience that some people do care. I completely agree with you that some people don't care.

Apparently we have different views and experiences. Diversity is a glorious thing.

Paige

I run a guild and unless the name is offensive the name doesn't reallly go into whether or not we accept them. We are also on a roleplay server .

What goes in for us choosing a person is

1. A person being respectful to the guild and outside the guild.

2. Able to follow our basic rules for guild membership

3. A willingness to help one another and working together as a group.

I for one refuse to worry about names unless they are offensive. A lot of people don't use the name generators and I don't think its necessry and some may use names from another game because they have friends that recognize them with that name.

If the name is against the TOS then that is another matter. There are avenues for those.

Will I roleplay with someone with a silly name, yea most likey mainly because I don't look at names and titles above their heads when I'm roleplaying. I wait for them to introduce their character and I will introduce myself as well should I want the person to know my name in a roleplay.

If I haven't introduce myself and they use my name I will most likely ignore them since I haven't introduced myself.

Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle.

I enjoy running across, 'Orly-wan', 'Qui-gong', 'Duke'skyvvalker (that's with double v)', 'Agent-ooseven (with the title Agent..)', 'Papa-smurf (chiss)', etc.

Now if they're really offensive, like having derogatory terms/swear words, then report them.

But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.

lol papa-smurf i gotta say thats awesome! now i should mention i do not RP and the names levitacus and leviathn i have used for nearly a decade, if that is offensive to you by no means are u required to group with me or have me in your guild but also should i feel compelled to change or no longer use a name like levitacus because it may offend? In an RP setting i understand the fustration with variations of skywalker and revan etc... but if someone wants to be darth smurf-schmukatelli is that really so bad? i have purposely left out blatently offensive suggestions ie drug references sexually derogatory terms and anatomy as i feel they attract enough attention, but as for silly names who doesn't laugh when they see a good one liner?

this was not a response to what i have quoted merely got a good chuckle out of papa-smurf quoted for reference.

Edited by levitacus

As has been stated numerous times, rp, then 100% correct. As the previous poster stated silly names can be awesome if done correctly. I had a character named Bustmeguts in anoyther mmo.

Maybe this is true if you are on an RP server but any other server most people couldn't care less what your name is. You may get laughed at if your name is xXLegolasXx or some **** but I have never seen anyone get passed over for a raid spot or a guild spot just because of their name.

Ah, no worries. A "blunt" is a reference to smokeable drugs. Google it. Just maybe not on a work or parental computer.

Paige

Again, not intending to make anyone upset.

I do know what a "blunt" is, (I'm 33...) just don't see how it is offensive.

Recreational terms, ok. But names of medicine, thats getting a bit overly zealous, IMHO. Sure, if said person is being a dipstick in gen chat, or just straight up acting like a fool, I can understand. But that could be anyone... even someone with a "prestigous" name, or an original name.

I do have to agree with most others here who say that it is different depending on the server. It is a certian mindset of people and it varies by server I expect to see more "proper" names on RP servers, and not so much on PvP and PvE servers. But, I have a few toons on an RP server and I've seen some pretty questionable names even.

So it varies by the player. A PvP "moron" would probably roll a questionable toon name on a RP server just for the "lols".

On a RP server, I understand judging and accepted/denying people based off their username. It's not understandable on a PvP/PvE server. Quite frankly, on a non-RP server, it's absolutely ridiculous to care about someone's (non-offensive) name. Just because their name isn't something that you care for doesn't mean you can't play with that person.

This is a game OP. Games are there for the sole reason of having fun. If someone has fun by running around with a wierd or "tacky" name then he is succeeding. Power to him. As with every single topic regarding taste.... "to each his own". You cannot regulate taste or define it. Especially on the internet.....

Maybe some people just don't enjoy super serious names and cannot relate to them. I've seen some very odd names on here that would give a Norwegian ice fisherman a run for his money. A name like that I have no connection to and would not enjoy for 50 levels, yet by your standards you would think its great and creative. If every single person in this game had a serious name according to your listing it would get boring and feel exactly like Im playing in a random name generated game.... boring.

Every now and then I might see a funny playful name and it might make me chuckle for 5 seconds while questing. I value those 5 seconds of random chuckle now and then, but if you had your way they would disappear. Or alternatively I might see a terrible name and it makes me frown at the poor retard for making yet another luke skywalker variation. Either way.... it provokes an emotional response. Id rather have a response whether its positive or negative over your idea of a random generated name game where people don't express themselves with their names.

Either way you look at it... As you said... the name of a toon is the first impression one gets of a person. If everyone just random generates cool names or makes up some creative name then there is no personality in the name. You wont be able to make a first impression. If I see a playful name variation of "Chewbacca" then I can tell the guy has a sense of humour and isnt too serious. If its a ****** variation of Skywalker then I know he is probably under 18 and its best for me personally to avoid.

Either way... Ill take the bad names and good names in all their glory over your idea of a stale random name generated game.

I politely and respectfully disagree with the statement that "no one cares" about names on non-RP servers.

I was making a group the other day and the only DPS that wanted my flashpoint was called Xoxocloudoxox.

I assumed he would be bad. He was. I like to use them as a warning device.

My favorite quote when trying to tell him to run away from the flames in Athiss was "but it keeps chasing me" accompanied in my mind with a :<.

On that note, my character name is Xxsupersithsephyroht13xx

/sarcasm