Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mouseover Healing

exodus_umvs
12.16.2011 , 09:18 PM | #121
go train yourselves on FPSes.

That is all.

Onager
12.16.2011 , 09:22 PM | #122
IMO any arguments pertaining to the necessity of this feature are outside the scope of this thread/topic.

It's a good feature, and the option to use it (with a togglable check square in the interface options) should be in the game, period, regardless of how you feel about addons or macros.

Having it in won't matter to the people that don't use it, but it certainly will to those of us that do.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

spcarr
12.19.2011 , 08:13 AM | #123
I'm surprised how good the raid frames are. Maybe buff / debuff monitoring needs a bit of help. But anyways, add mouseover healing and a lot of us can be happy without addons for a while.

Siralosmdk
12.19.2011 , 08:23 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Yutaa View Post
Without mouseover - observe situation, select target for heal, move your mouse to target frame, click on target frame, click some keybinding.

With mouseorver - observe situation, select target for heal, move your mouse to target frame, click some keybinding.

The only difference is that useless annoying click.
And there's another big difference..
You don't have to change target for healing; so you can still DPS/CC/Whatever to the Boss/Player while you are healing your colleagues/yourself without having to change the target

KittyPrawn
12.19.2011 , 09:31 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by kaelesto View Post
Ah, yes, thank you, that's the solution to all my problems. Let me go back in time to when I was in the Navy and stop the 50-pound block of metal from being dropped on my hands, so that maybe I can move all my fingers, and then I'll get right on that.
The name should have gave it away, but this did. Hello Kaels! (This is Kieromaris, if you actually pay attention to forum names elsewhere).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Using Mouse-Over targeting doesn't necessarily equate to a better or worse healer. I have healed competitively using both systems, I prefer mouse-overs. No, clicking doesn't add that much time to the healing equation, but it is one less action I need to take. I am a lazy, fat-slob of a gamer, after all. Do I feel I perform better with mouse-over targetting? Sure. But, do I feel like I am superior to someone that performs better by clicking? Absolutely not. It took me years to agree to try mouse-over targeting, because I was comfortable and fast with it. I understand where people who click are coming from, I really do.

A good player can play the game and will adapt to the situation, but in the end it is a quality of life choice for people. Yes, I can click. I can click a new target before the spell finishes casting, just the same as with mouse-over targeting. But, having to continuously click between the mob and the person to heal in order to perform an action is tiring and bulky. I've tried tab-targeting, but that frequently leads me to hitting a bad mob, and sometimes it tabs to targets out of range or even behind me.

I would like mouse-over targeting, but I would be happy with Target of Target or with dual-targets, such as Warhammer had.
Kyrti of the Apsalar Legacy - 50 Rattataki Sorcerer - Canderous Ordo
Caution: Aggressive, Will Bite.

Quote: Originally Posted by Neamhan View Post
What's this? Something is being improved?! To the Complain-o-tron 5000!!

Cameirus
12.19.2011 , 10:21 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakemi View Post
Really? You cannot heal without it?

Its like that one extra little click is too much for some people...
Really? like it affects you how I heal.

I can heal without it, I find it a better play experience to heal with it.

How about between every attack you have to re-click the target? See how tiresome that gets.

kaelesto
12.19.2011 , 03:09 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by KittyPrawn View Post
The name should have gave it away, but this did. Hello Kaels! (This is Kieromaris, if you actually pay attention to forum names elsewhere).
(wave) hey!

Hampstah
12.19.2011 , 03:48 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by kaelesto View Post
I didn't realize MMOs were a sport.

It's funny you should mention chess. I have a cousin who plays chess competitively. He's damn good at it. But he has cerebral palsy. He doesn't have the manual dexterity to pick up a chess piece and move it without knocking other pieces over and ruining the game. So in tournament games, he has an assistant - he calls out the move he wants to make, and the assistant moves the piece and records the move on his scoresheet.

Does that "make chess easier"? Technically, I suppose. But no chess player in their right mind would argue that it matters. Chess is a game of the mind, and the board is only a physical representation of it - the real skill being challenged in chess is not in moving the pieces, but in deciding where to move them.

MMOs are, similarly, games of the mind.
Well said.

The difficulty in MMOs should be in choosing the right skills and the right time, not the interface itself.

Telgich
12.19.2011 , 03:58 PM | #129
Here's my solution.

I have a Logitech G500 Mouse. It comes with software that allows you to re-assign what happens when you press any button on the mouse(ie. left scroll, right scroll, sensitivity up, sensitivity down, etc...)

I just make my left scroll hit the letter 'g' for instance. And then I bind the heal spell to 'g'. To get really fancy I make a macro with the logitech software to Left Click -> Then type 'g'. That way it clicks on the person before pressing 'g' to heal.

skullkandy
12.19.2011 , 09:41 PM | #130
I agree that the genre has evolved were things like this should be standard. And to all those whining about a healbot....you whine about needing healers well make it more enjoyable to heal. It's boring to sit staring at unit frames the whole time. It feels like playing excel spreadsheet. Mouse-over casting isn't noobish, or heal-bot, it just lets you focus your eyes on the action and heal based on the flow of battle.

same reason buff's need to display over characters heads in the field of play. The more things you put in the field of play rather than the UI the more immersed you are in the battle and not feeling like you're just watching numbers.