Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mouseover Healing

kaelesto
12.15.2011 , 07:07 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
Now those do make the game easier. I'm not sure I want those in the game. If their UI presents all the necessary details, there's no reason to have a customized UI for playability purposes.
Well, some rudimentary level of customization of health frames would be helpful. Color, background, texture, size, shape, location, and buff/debuff filtering. Purely cosmetic stuff that could be built into the game's UI without hurting anything and would make a whole lot of people very happy.

All the other stuff? Meh. I'm definitely against anything 'smart' like Power Auras; if we're going to need highly visible notifications of stuff, then those notifications should be built in by default, not left up to the player to configure.

miranwe
12.15.2011 , 07:12 PM | #102
i have healed in every game since everquest. i do not understand what is so hard for people to click heals. i have raid healed as a druid and knew when hots were needed and on who without healbot. the fact that you need a mouse over instead of clicking means you dont want to heal, you want to look around while the fight is going on. if you are not dedicated enough to play the class then dont heal. you are only hurting those who depend on you.

Lilyalyn
12.15.2011 , 07:33 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by miranwe View Post
i have healed in every game since everquest. i do not understand what is so hard for people to click heals. i have raid healed as a druid and knew when hots were needed and on who without healbot. the fact that you need a mouse over instead of clicking means you dont want to heal, you want to look around while the fight is going on. if you are not dedicated enough to play the class then dont heal. you are only hurting those who depend on you.
No one has said it's hard. That it's easier (a better word would be efficient) does not mean it was ever hard in the first place. It's not hard to click your buttons instead of keybinding either. It's not hard to turn with the keyboard instead of the mouse. But people actually tend to like efficient controls when it comes to gaming. That must mean they don't really want to play right?

Jooji
12.15.2011 , 08:06 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by miranwe View Post
It's about efficiency. I'm sure you've never raided or PVPd on a high level, any of you people against add-ons, macros, etc. If you have you would understand their purpose. We aren't asking for Vanilla heal bot, that mod was ridiculous. We're just asking for UI customization and simple mouse-overs so healers can be as efficient as our DPS counterparts.

DrekorSilverfang
12.15.2011 , 08:46 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
I am not bad. Anything that reduces input lag makes ANYONE a better player, even you. It's not about being easier. It's about making the response in your brain translate to the servers that you want to heal a certain person take less steps and thus less time to happen.

Playing without mouseover healing is like playing with a 500 ping all the time.
The reduction in input lag going from click+heal to heal is virtually nothing. You'd probably reduce your input lag more by getting a better mousepad. If you seriously take 0.5s to click your mouse when you don't even need to move it then you are bad.

Mouseover healing is not a bad thing however the question is: Is it worth developer time over something else?

The answer to me is: probably not.

kaelesto
12.15.2011 , 09:02 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by DrekorSilverfang View Post
Mouseover healing is not a bad thing however the question is: Is it worth developer time over something else?

The answer to me is: probably not.
If you could implement a well-known, well-understood feature that would make a large number of your customers happy and improve accessibility for customers with disabilities, with absolutely no downside, using mostly existing code (they already have targeting logic and mouseover detection), why would you not do it?

revial
12.15.2011 , 09:05 PM | #107
It's only a basic staple if you're a baddie who has only ever played autoplay WoW's click a button with your eyes closed to heal someone playstyle.

Turn Nameplates on so you can see people's healthbars over their heads, and gain some finger dexterity. One day healing without seventythree crutches will come naturally to you and you'll ask yourself 'how was I ever so lame to think I was playing a game in a system that held your hand in every way possible?'

I've always enjoyed watching some of WoW's Arena tournaments where people are forced to use the vanilla UI. Really shows who can actually play and who's let the game play for them all these years.

Jooji
12.15.2011 , 09:08 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by revial View Post
It's only a basic staple if you're a baddie who has only ever played autoplay WoW's click a button with your eyes closed to heal someone playstyle.

Turn Nameplates on so you can see people's healthbars over their heads, and gain some finger dexterity. One day healing without seventythree crutches will come naturally to you and you'll ask yourself 'how was I ever so lame to think I was playing a game in a system that held your hand in every way possible?'

I've always enjoyed watching some of WoW's Arena tournaments where people are forced to use the vanilla UI. Really shows who can actually play and who's let the game play for them all these years.
I can't tell if you're trolling or just really really stupid.

kaelesto
12.15.2011 , 09:11 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by revial View Post
gain some finger dexterity.
Ah, yes, thank you, that's the solution to all my problems. Let me go back in time to when I was in the Navy and stop the 50-pound block of metal from being dropped on my hands, so that maybe I can move all my fingers, and then I'll get right on that.

StealthStalker
12.15.2011 , 09:18 PM | #110
Yes, please. Thanks.

Dual Targeting while you're at it.
Dual Targeting, any AAA MMO released today should have this included. Don't let your next one release without it.
Quote:
So what exactly is Dual Targeting? You have 2 targets available at all times, one offensive and one defensive. That's it, it's that simple.