Koozie's Powertech PvP Pyrotech Guide

Kooziejr

Whats even better is when you kill some balance sage that just force sped around to the far side of the novare bunker and is 3/4 done casting deliverance with pyro shield.

That's what they get for tab dotting.

On a side note when are they going to fix pyro shield and shoulder cannon? Pyro shield shouldn't be blue and electro shield shouldn't be orange. And a trooper's shoulder cannon shouldn't look like something Blizz made either.

That. Is hilariously funny.

Of course it also helps that we take 15% less damage from all dots with flame suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys. So I have been playing SWTOR for about 2 months and I am an experienced MMO player, however, I have never really been into PvP. Lately my guild and I have been doing a lot of Warzones and I have been enjoying it more than PvE and wish to get better. Are there any tips on Keybindings for the PT? I have been using modifiers such as alt and shift but most of the time they seem slow or I do not actually activate them because I let go of my modifier too early. My mouse has only 2 buttons and so I cannot use my mouse for many cooldowns. Appreciate any feedback!

Hello guys. So I have been playing SWTOR for about 2 months and I am an experienced MMO player, however, I have never really been into PvP. Lately my guild and I have been doing a lot of Warzones and I have been enjoying it more than PvE and wish to get better. Are there any tips on Keybindings for the PT? I have been using modifiers such as alt and shift but most of the time they seem slow or I do not actually activate them because I let go of my modifier too early. My mouse has only 2 buttons and so I cannot use my mouse for many cooldowns. Appreciate any feedback!

Well, that is up to you. Remember, that you can add Q, E, R, F, C (and Z, X, V if you like to), if you are using standard WASD. I also like to use my F-keys (especially F1-F4 for defensive abilities) aswell as my mousewheel (I use it for Shoulder Canon, because that one is of the GCD and I can hit the wheel whenever I hit another key).

I use shift more for utility (CC, taunts) or some AOE.

But, whatever you do, allow yourself to get used to it.

Well, that is up to you. Remember, that you can add Q, E, R, F, C (and Z, X, V if you like to), if you are using standard WASD. I also like to use my F-keys (especially F1-F4 for defensive abilities) aswell as my mousewheel (I use it for Shoulder Canon, because that one is of the GCD and I can hit the wheel whenever I hit another key).

I use shift more for utility (CC, taunts) or some AOE.

But, whatever you do, allow yourself to get used to it.

For the mouse wheel do you click on it or do you scroll up/down for it?

I've been out of the Powertech game for quite some time while leveling up my Mercenary. Out of mild curiosity, what exactly does a Pyrotech Powertech bring to the table to balance out the Pyrotech Mercenary's superior range these days?

I get that Flame Burst can be spammed whereas Power Shot requires casting, and I also know that Rail Shot is more powerful on the Powertech due to Puncture (although the difference is minimal now). I've run some Warzones on both characters, but despite aforementioned advantages I can't help but feel like my Powertech is a gimped Mercenary.

I'm really curious if there's a solid reason why I should get back on my Pyrotech Powertech instead of my Mercenary. I'm probably missing something obvious, so I apologize in advance if that's the case.

Hey guys one more question. is there a reason why you run the crit relic instead of the mainstat relic?

I run crit in my gear, which is why i go with power and main stat relics. But i've also gone full power surge with a crit relic, and its gives you a sustained damage boost via dots. IM and TD ticks crit for 1.5k-2k so having the crit relic just boosts your overall damage. Either way its personal preference, just make sure that you only use the crit relic if your base crit is below 21%. Any higher and you're better off with power+main stat relics IMO.

I run crit in my gear, which is why i go with power and main stat relics. But i've also gone full power surge with a crit relic, and its gives you a sustained damage boost via dots. IM and TD ticks crit for 1.5k-2k so having the crit relic just boosts your overall damage. Either way its personal preference, just make sure that you only use the crit relic if your base crit is below 21%. Any higher and you're better off with power+main stat relics IMO.

Bad wording there: Running 0 crit rating gets you 20.9% crit chance, or 21.06% if you are using the extra +3% aim instead of +3% rail shot. Which means if you're running with 3 points in steely resolve, then you're stating the crit relic isn't worth it, when its actually better in a case of 0 crit 3/3 steely resolve than it is with 0 crit 2/3 steely resolve.

As such, just put it this way:

IF YOU HAVE ANY CRIT IN YOUR GEAR, POWER PROC & AIM PROC RELICS

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CRIT IN YOUR GEAR, AIM PROC RELIC + CHOICE OF POWER OR CRIT PROC RELIC

Bad wording there: Running 0 crit rating gets you 20.9% crit chance, or 21.06% if you are using the extra +3% aim instead of +3% rail shot. Which means if you're running with 3 points in steely resolve, then you're stating the crit relic isn't worth it, when its actually better in a case of 0 crit 3/3 steely resolve than it is with 0 crit 2/3 steely resolve.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CRIT IN YOUR GEAR, AIM PROC RELIC + CHOICE OF POWER OR CRIT PROC RELIC

Yessir thank you for correcting me, that is exactly what I meant.

Sigh. Yeah, this is frustrating. I run my PT and Vanguard with 124 crit rating, which puts me at 23.75% ranged crit and 910 bonus dmg. I use the Mainstat and Power relics. I would love to go full power/surge like I've done literally since patch 1.7 but that means running the Crit relic and IMO that relic is complete and utter trash. Maybe if you're playing a 15 minute Voidstar or other suitably long regular WZ match it balances out. But for arenas, you're going to get off maybe 3 attacks during the proc window, it's on a 14 second cooldown best case scenario, and you're not even guaranteed to make use of it. So, running crit in my gear it is!

(EDIT: Also, I think full power/surge would put you at 940 bonus dmg. I'm not exactly sure gaining the 30 static bonus dmg is worth losing about 2.7% crit, when crit is so important to Pyro.)

I had run more crit in my gear just after 2.8, up to around 25.1%, and I noticed higher overall numbers. But I was sitting around 885 bonus dmg and it wasn't enough to finish off low targets through guard in arenas, just not enough 'oomph,' and uh...I really really wanted 900 bonus dmg because OCD.

Edited by Aetrus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My spec is also aimed more towards higher end ranked and if I get the chance to play 4s it is the spec I play.

To the point: Your Spec is therefore only useful for the 2%, the play Group Rated and have their Spec already found, but useless for all other 98%, the Huttball, Novare, Voidstar, Alderaan, Hyper Gates, Reg Arenas and Solo Arena play. Right? :D

To the point: Your Spec is therefore only useful for the 2%, the play Group Rated and have their Spec already found, but useless for all other 98%, the Huttball, Novare, Voidstar, Alderaan, Hyper Gates, Reg Arenas and Solo Arena play. Right? :D

Um no, There isn't a major difference in spec or rotation going between regs and ranked.

Who needs a guide to play pyro PT? it's literally a 4 button rotation... The skill cap is basically 0.

Then you obviously need to read this guide... I use several abilities. Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Incend Missile, Flame Burst, Rocket Punch, Thermal Detonator, Sticky Dart, Unload (at 25 - 30 meters only) and even a bit of Flamethrower and Flame Sweep when i need AOE damage. Pyro is IMO one of the highest skill cap classes in the game, next to Carnage Marauder and Deception Sin. I think you meant to post that reply in a Lightning Sorc guide...

Um no, There isn't a major difference in spec or rotation going between regs and ranked.

There is no rotation in PVP.

The Premade Arena Spec differs in two points from serious spec for Warzones. As a Powertech you are the second best (after Assasin) Deffer. So you will take FOREVER Infrared sensor. Renunciation of the increased stealth detection is almost sabotage on his own team. Why Volatile Ingniter is essential, other have said enough already.

Yeah, I noticed that. But I doubt he would tell here.

It's shoulder cannon. I got sick of clicking the button. The red error spam is because I always forget to turn it off and its spamming nothing. meh. It's no secret you can see it in my abilities bar being spammed.

It's the same spec regardless.

• 4 weeks later...