Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

My gearing comparison pre/post 6.0 (as it sits on PTS) - long post

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My gearing comparison pre/post 6.0 (as it sits on PTS) - long post

Flying-Brian's Avatar


Flying-Brian
09.18.2019 , 01:04 AM | #21
Another issue to point out is just how much RNG is involved with moddable gear and set bonus items and how badly designed it is.

When moddable/set bonus gear is obtained (from a drop, or a vendor) there is RNG to determin everything about each mod in that gear piece individually. So you have.
  • RNG to determine the iLevel rating of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the version of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the 20+ variants of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the amplifier on the mod.
And all this for every piece of moddable gear available, it doesn't matter if it is a set bonus piece, or a green shell version.

So the chances of each mod being at the same level (unless you get the piece at lvl 270) are very slim. At lvl 306, I have seen gear with a 306 armoring, 296 mod, and 284 enhancement, this issue alone means that most of the time when you get a moddable/set bonus piece it will be a downgrade in item rating from what you have.

Currently on the PTS there is no direct way to obtain any mod that are direct upgrades. So if you manage to get set bonus gear (all at the same level) that has a usable bonus for you, as soon as you get the next upgrade for that slot, you are forced to switch to it, so that your overall gear rating continues to go up.

So gear progression will be grind from lvl 270-306. At 306, grind for set bonus gear (at which time you can start to use augments, because it is not worth it at any lower level where that piece will be discarded for a higher level), then grind trying to get lvl 306 mods, then grind trying to get lvl 306 mods that have the correct stats on them.

So good luck to those players that are trying to gear up for ranked pvp or want to run the new op in hm/nim. Also due to the way level sync will work with the older content and ops, if you want to be min/max for those ops you'll need another set of gear set up with higher tertiary stats, since mastery/power/endurance are all capped.

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
09.18.2019 , 03:44 AM | #22
I wouldn’t mind the mobs from planetary heroics and older daily areas getting harder, if they fix the alliance supply crates not dropping and bring back the missing datacron decorations that I haven’t seen drop in literally YEARS! Increase the repeatability value for conquest, especially in light of the fact that personal goals are increasing. Basically, fix what is broken and missing and make the incentive worth the time investment.

Time to dust off those presence stims maybe?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

jimmorrisson's Avatar


jimmorrisson
09.18.2019 , 11:33 AM | #23
We already spent THREE YEARS playing 5.0.

In current year there should be no more EXP (end game experience) in the form of CXP or RXP. The loot crates are EA dictated in-game spam not even worth opening.

For myself when the addition of two new gearing slots "amplifiers" and "tacticals" was announced were warning signs.

6.0 combines the worse aspects of 5.0 and Ossus 5.10 designed to ride out the contract clock while separating the remaining "whales" from their time and money.

LG_XxLegacyxX's Avatar


LG_XxLegacyxX
09.18.2019 , 08:17 PM | #24
Even with the current state of Live, I have yet to level one of my 27 characters to full 258 gear, and I would say I dump a tremendous amount of time into this game. The only thing I don't do, or rather, haven't done, is raid with an active guild since three years ago. Why is that you may ask? Well, to state what may be obvious to others, the game isn't exactly as popular as other MMO's, and non-comparable to a game like WoW Classic, which is seeing a record number of returning and new players. With server queue times up to two and a half hours. I even sat through that long of a queue time playing SWTOR just to log in.

If 6.0 gearing increases the difficulty of gearing to full end game tier more than it is now, with having to wait weeks to get enough crystals (even with unassembled components, crystals max out at 4 per week per character) then you're talking literal months, to years to max a toon. What about my 26 other alts? Well sir or madam, you bet your bottom buttocks I ain't investing that much of my time.
OPA GUNGAN STYLE
Daedra (Karagatzu) [The Harbinger]
<Blood Bath and Beyond> PvP/PvE guild

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.20.2019 , 04:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by LG_XxLegacyxX View Post
Even with the current state of Live, I have yet to level one of my 27 characters to full 258 gear, and I would say I dump a tremendous amount of time into this game. The only thing I don't do, or rather, haven't done, is raid with an active guild since three years ago. Why is that you may ask? Well, to state what may be obvious to others, the game isn't exactly as popular as other MMO's, and non-comparable to a game like WoW Classic, which is seeing a record number of returning and new players. With server queue times up to two and a half hours. I even sat through that long of a queue time playing SWTOR just to log in.

If 6.0 gearing increases the difficulty of gearing to full end game tier more than it is now, with having to wait weeks to get enough crystals (even with unassembled components, crystals max out at 4 per week per character) then you're talking literal months, to years to max a toon. What about my 26 other alts? Well sir or madam, you bet your bottom buttocks I ain't investing that much of my time.
The only benefit of the system on PTS is that all "new" gear is going to be legacy. Once you get a 300, or 306, suit you can transfer it and make getting a 2nd 306 suit all that much easier. You won't have to do the complete 270 - 306 grind a 2nd time.

You will, however, need to wear DPS gear on your tank/healer for awhile.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

ZeroTypeR's Avatar


ZeroTypeR
09.20.2019 , 11:53 AM | #26
I fall into a fourth category: I don't like RNG, but I'm not opposed to change, provided it is implemented fairly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
That's a good write up. I had never even heard of Xam Xam until about a month ago. I don't pay attention to the "influencers" as that level of Social Media isn't something I participate in.

She also touched on something, at the end, that I've kind of left out of my posts.

Players can not rely on any content being as easy as it is now when 6.0 launches. The game is going to change in ways we have not seen in years. It will be a bit of a ‘culture shock’ for most of the player base. Ideally, a more efficient gearing system would ease this ‘shock’. Only time will tell.

That first bit, the first two sentences, they are key.
Easy mode for everything is getting turned off.

They are adjusting companion healing that, at least right now, makes the heals timed differently and definitely less smooth. Your health will dip far below what you're used to. If the heal from your companion is mis-timed, you'll die more frequently.

They are changing level sync for at least the early planets.
Right now on the starter planets, you level sync down to 12. On PTS, it's down to 10 (maybe 11, but I think 10). That closes the gap between your toon and the mobs. Between that and the companion healing adjustment...you may die doing things you normally face-roll through.

I've only taken a new toon on PTS through the starter planet, and that was during the previous phase to activate my account legacy, when they weren't letting us transfer toons from live to PTS. I haven't done it in the current PTS build. That's a project for when they adjust gear again.

There are more issues than just RNG. Other people are doing a good job championing them, and I think people see enough "Darev" from the RNG threads, no need to go into those.

Again, to you players who haven't downloaded PTS to play on it, please do so.
Let it install over night while you sleep, it will be ready for you the next time you play.
This 6.0 expansion is going to radically change the game. Please help test it and give a voice to your own concern.

I don't want to speak for you. I want you to speak for yourself.
Now this I will like in 6.0. The Vanilla Content is just way too easy for me to enjoy playing through currently, thus I postponed any further playthroughs of said content, until 6.0 drops.

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.20.2019 , 05:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroTypeR View Post
I fall into a fourth category: I don't like RNG, but I'm not opposed to change, provided it is implemented fairly.


Now this I will like in 6.0. The Vanilla Content is just way too easy for me to enjoy playing through currently, thus I postponed any further playthroughs of said content, until 6.0 drops.
I've seen many people post they want more of a challenge. The usual replies were generally "store your companion" or take off your gear.

I am curious to see how many people will be complaining about it vs. singing the praises of the increased difficulty.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
09.20.2019 , 05:25 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
I've seen many people post they want more of a challenge. The usual replies were generally "store your companion" or take off your gear.

I am curious to see how many people will be complaining about it vs. singing the praises of the increased difficulty.
I suspect a lot of people would come out of the woodwork after the changes officially land, complaining about increased difficulty, if it's noticeable enough. Generally speaking, the people who ask for "more challenge" in video games are a minority of the overall pool of players, so my assumption would be that most of the people playing do not want a distinct increase in difficulty, but may be generally silent about it because most players don't vocally engage in the first place.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

MK-ULTRA's Avatar


MK-ULTRA
09.21.2019 , 08:32 AM | #29
Who asked for endless gear grinds and why does Bioware think this is what this game needs? They should focus on new content not reworking old content.

Idk if this is an issue but will world bosses etc be tied to your gear level? Like it's impossible to kill certain level boss because your gear is too low? No more soloing or small groups doing big things?
The galaxy is flat.

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.21.2019 , 08:54 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MK-ULTRA View Post
Who asked for endless gear grinds and why does Bioware think this is what this game needs? They should focus on new content not reworking old content.

Idk if this is an issue but will world bosses etc be tied to your gear level? Like it's impossible to kill certain level boss because your gear is too low? No more soloing or small groups doing big things?
There is a story coming with 6.0.
There is a new Operation coming with 6.0
There is a new Flashpoint coming with 6.0

My focus has been the gearing changes introduced on PTS, but there is new content also.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.