Cannot promote my own alt within the guild, due to lack of security key?

Jeweledleah

same account, I do actualy have a security key and I'm pretty sure its not bound to character, so.. what is going on here? i should be able to promote all of my alts on the same account with no issue. and yet... it will not let me. please advise? thank you

same account, I do actualy have a security key and I'm pretty sure its not bound to character, so.. what is going on here? i should be able to promote all of my alts on the same account with no issue. and yet... it will not let me. please advise? thank you

Two questions:

* Obvious one: does the character that is trying to promote the alt actually have the right to promote characters?

* Are you trying to promote the alt to the same rank as the promoter? You can't promote anyone (whether it's an alt or a different account's character) to a rank equal or higher than your own.

But you're right, the security key is bound to the account, not any one of the characters.

You can't promote anyone (whether it's an alt or a different account's character) to a rank equal or higher than your own.

Only exception to that rule is the Guildmaster who can promote another Member of the Guild to the same Rank and thereby replace himself.

But you're right, the security key is bound to the account, not any one of the characters.

This is correct but unfortunately the Guild interface only recognises the Security key if a Character is currently logged in. This means you can not promote your own alts to any rank that requires a Security key.

There are lots of bugs with the guild panel. One of them is to do with ranks that have the "Security Key" option enabled on the ranks panel. I have a security key and my main guild leader rank is fine but I can't promote my alts to the officer rank that requires the key unless I untick the box, promote them and then re-tick the box. Sometimes you will find they have been dropped down to the next highest rank that does not require a key and you have to use the work-around I described again but it's rare.

I filed a ticket for it ages ago and was told it was a known bug that will be handled in a future patch e.g. tough luck :)

This is correct but unfortunately the Guild interface only recognises the Security key if a Character is currently logged in. This means you can not promote your own alts to any rank that requires a Security key.

Huh. OK. I'm not sure I see why that's even a feature, but OK. (It occurs to me that in fact *nobody* (not you, not some other member) can promote your alt to that rank if you're not logged in.

oh wow.. so its a feature not a bug (yes, character is high enough rank and all that jazz)? sigh. guess i can temporarily disable key requirement, promote my alts, and then enable it again. or will that demote them the moment I enable the requirement?

oh wow.. so its a feature not a bug (yes, character is high enough rank and all that jazz)? sigh. guess i can temporarily disable key requirement, promote my alts, and then enable it again. or will that demote them the moment I enable the requirement?

As UlaVii already said, that works most of the time.

Huh. OK. I'm not sure I see why that's even a feature, but OK. (It occurs to me that in fact *nobody* (not you, not some other member) can promote your alt to that rank if you're not logged in.

My guess is that it is a result of sloppy programming.

Because even in 2019 lots of people still pick easy to guess passwords and some of those people are officers in guilds. There are plenty of trolls in this game who try to access the accounts of officers/players to cause problems.

Also, you can promote your own alts to a rank that requires the security key, I just tested it out to be sure. It just bugs out sometimes like I mentioned earlier.

Edited by UlaVii

Because even in 2019 lots of people still pick easy to guess passwords and some of those people are officers in guilds. There are plenty of trolls in this game who try to access the accounts of officers/players to cause problems.

Also, you can promote your own alts to a rank that requires the security key, I just tested it out to be sure. It just bugs out sometimes like I mentioned earlier.

wait so... is it a bug, or its a feature that you cannot promote offline characters? I'm so confused....

It's a bug. That is further enforced by the fact that occasionally I can't promote officers who are online to the security key restricted ranks without first removing the key required option, then promoting them and then re-enabling the key option.