Tank Augment & Stat Advice

Buellzebubba

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what augments to choose as a tank. I used a magic 8-ball to jump up to Level 70 as a tank so I got basic level 70 gear for as tank, and ended up with the following stats:

Mastery 5357

Endurance 5699

Power 0

Critical 0

Alacrity 0

Accuracy 0

Defense 3084 Defense Chance = 30.36% Damage Reduction = 47.13%

Absorb 1086 Shield Absorption = 43.13%

Shield 822 Shield Chance = 35.11%

Presence 1105

Could use some advice or answers to the following:

1) If I dump all my augments into Power & Crit, is that skanking or just prudent tanking?

2) Are any of the tank stats too low or too high relative to my level? (For tanking, I'm not looking to skank)

3) Do Def Chance & Dmg Reduction depend only on Defense stat? Or do Absorb & Shield stats play a role?

4) Similar questions for Sh Abs & Sh Chance?

5) Why is Presence important to tanks? How do I increase it?

Edited by Buellzebubba

• 4 weeks later...

tldr dont worry about tanking stats until you hit 75

1) If I dump all my augments into Power & Crit, is that skanking or just prudent tanking?

Depends what content you are doing, difficult hard mode bosses or nightmare operations? Use shield/absorb

Anything else? Get 1213 Alacrity and rest into critical

2) Are any of the tank stats too low or too high relative to my level? (For tanking, I'm not looking to skank)

Your shield is low

3) Do Def Chance & Dmg Reduction depend only on Defense stat? Or do Absorb & Shield stats play a role?

Yes

Yes

It's not

Defense 3084 Defense Chance = 30.36% Damage Reduction = 47.13%

Absorb 1086 Shield Absorption = 43.13%

Shield 822 Shield Chance = 35.11%

Presence 1105

Could use some advice or answers to the following:

First, all of those percentages will change when you hit lvl 75, because the max level equation is different.

If you're looking for lvl 75 answers:

1) Augments will exclusively be Shield or Absorb. Your extra Power would come from running Lethal B mods (which are BiS on non-capped content). However, since Power is capped on most of the content, you can just run the Defense Mods as there is no difference. Shield/Absorb Augments though.

2) When you get to lvl 75, you want to get Shield Chance to 50% before you start worrying about Absorb (for "while you're gearing", when you get to full 306's and you're trying to get to BiS it is a different discussion). Defense Chance at 30% is a bit much, but there isn't a whole lot you can do to change that unless you're building a set for HM Dxun. Power is capped on all other content so the Defense mods are better, meaning you'll have a ridiculous amount of that. BiS Enhancements are Steadfast/Vigilant, and even with those you'll be at 30-36% Defense based on your class.

3) Defense Chance is only from Defense, yes. Damage Reduction come from % passives in your Discipline, gear, or Amplifiers; and your Armor Rating.

4) Shield Chance is based on your Shield Rating, Absorb % (amount absorbed when you successfully Shield) is based on your Absorb Rating.

5) Presence is for your Companions and helps (slightly) while leveling or doing solo content. There is no reason to actively try to build this stat.