Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Verain's Avatar


Verain
04.13.2014 , 11:56 AM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Yeah it seems like big numbers, but they're mostly improved chances, and not much improved potential like Damage or Frequency capacitors.
I don't think that's super important. I mean, how do you quantify a hit that would have been for 800 but instead is 0? Normalized damage is a good way to look at it. For every time you would have gotten lucky with damage cap and rolled all hits, there's many other times where you miss with one and ranged would have boosted your damage by way more.

Quote:
And those big numbers are true only for BLC because of its incredible variation of damage and accuracy...
Is that true? Did you do the math?

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
04.13.2014 , 01:11 PM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I don't think that's super important. I mean, how do you quantify a hit that would have been for 800 but instead is 0? Normalized damage is a good way to look at it. For every time you would have gotten lucky with damage cap and rolled all hits, there's many other times where you miss with one and ranged would have boosted your damage by way more.
Average and best.
One will induce better average, one better "best".

Not saying that they're similarly worth, but if they were to be, it would only depend on what you want.
Do you want your average encounter to go smoothly, by not missing, or do you want to use it in optimal ranges and have the biggest "oomph" as you're betting you won't miss ?

It's a bit like Slug Railgun's T5 upgrades, one gives 10% more damage while the other one gives 20% chances to get 50% additional damage... beside the fact they literally provide the same average improvement, they have a similar impact on gameplay as "accuracy or damage".

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Is that true? Did you do the math?
Actually yes.
You know the post which make an example at 3000m ? It was mine.
I think you've read it since you avoided the 3000m mark in your post... It was to be complementary, right ?

And that's also simple logic. BLC has high variation in accuracy and damage like no other (RfLC has actually almost the same accuracy profile)... ...and that's these variations which define the gain induced by Range Capacitor.
If a weapon would have a constant damage and accuracy profile (no variation due to range), then Range capacitor wouldn't induce any damage gain. That's a trivial deduction.

Armonddd's Avatar


Armonddd
04.13.2014 , 06:37 PM | #153
Seekers have a range of 4 km, so scouts can only shoot them with range capacitor or quad/medium laser cannons. (If you get to the 4 km max range of the other weapons, the seeker launches at you instantly and you're forced to use a lock break to avoid taking damage -- shooting it down doesn't work).

That said, seekers can be upgraded to 4.5 km range, which negates the advantage of a range capacitor. It doesn't seem like a lot of people do this, though.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
04.13.2014 , 08:15 PM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I am getting a bit cross about the variable claims regarding ranged capacitor. The devs have told us that the damage is extrapolated linearly, and so is the accuracy, between the three given points. We know that each range increment is extended by 10% with ranged capacitor.
All of my math is 100% based on that information from the devs.

Quote:
math stuff
Your attempt at being a Bayesian is laudable, but I object to your flat prior. Better to just give the information without a prior (as I did) and let people apply to their own situations. (To your credit, you do this later on.)

Quote:
You can see from this that ranged absolutely DOMINATES the 10% and 15% options from the other caps at many values of ranged and evasion. Do you spend more of your time at those ranges, and versus those targets?
Yes, but it is dominated by damage or frequency at many others. I do, however, endorse the YMMV methodology.

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
04.13.2014 , 08:17 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
And that's also simple logic. BLC has high variation in accuracy and damage like no other (RfLC has actually almost the same accuracy profile)... ...and that's these variations which define the gain induced by Range Capacitor.
If a weapon would have a constant damage and accuracy profile (no variation due to range), then Range capacitor wouldn't induce any damage gain. That's a trivial deduction.
Yes, I agree with this logic 100%.

TrinityLyre's Avatar


TrinityLyre
04.16.2014 , 11:56 AM | #156
Adding a "lolwt* Gunship" build for all the aces that are crying boredom/too easy/buff my Flashfire/etc. Play this and post some scoreboards!

GSS-5C DUSTMAKER // K-52 DEMOLISHER // SGS-41B COMET BREAKER // K-52 STRONGARM

Coined the “shi**y gunship.” Intentionally trades off many of the strengths of gunships for weaker alternatives. This build is a torpedo platform, for fun. I understand the idea behind the design but feel it’s vastly inferior to other offerings. However, any ship is devastating in the right hands. This thing can still score the bulk of kills in a Team Deathmatch. If you're not having fun, why are you playing?

:: COMPONENTS

Primary Weapon: Heavy Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Shield Piercing)
I use heavy lasers over the other alternatives for the armor piercing and range. They are great for clearing turrets, drones, mines, killing other bombers and attacking enemies coming in to attack you. As mentioned, bypassing enemy damage reduction is immensely useful. I go with the shield piercing upgrade to finish off any additional hull weaker enemies have after being hit by my railgun or other allies. I built this gunship as a long range weapons platform without the "lolnerfrailguns."

Secondary Weapon: Thermite Torpedo (T4 Increased Projectile Speed, T5 Plasma Warheads)
Fire off one of these and switch to the other! Thermite Torpedo was buffed in the recent patch, allowing it to hit shields hard while still leaving a nasty debuff for your laser cannons to utilize. Use this to either strip shields and apply the bleedthrough debuff or finish off a shieldless opponent.

Secondary Weapon: Proton Torpedoes (T4 Increased Projectile Speed, T5 Increased Range)
Fire these to hit their hull directly. This ship does a lot of shield penetration damage so take advantage of it!

Engine: Barrel Roll (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for mobility, offense, defense and a missile break with sugar on top. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition. This is even more useful for locking on Thermite and Proton Torpedoes.

Shields: Directional Shield (T3 Reduced Regen Delay)
The only shield option that allows mobility and gives you hefty shields. Useful for handling enemies that try to come head-on or even while retreating. Reducing regen delay seems better than increasing shield regeneration rate, and so I go with that option.

Sensor: Communication Sensors
Communicate amongst your allies to get more of a wholistic view of the battlefield.

Reactor: Large Reactor
Larger shields are tastier shields. Since dying to burst damage is more commonplace than dying to attrition, I favor larger shields.

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor
These offer the highest amount of damage with the tradeoff of increased weapon power pool consumption. With Regeneration Extender I feel like the drawback is minimal. More damage is always good if you can handle the power consumption.

Magazine: Regeneration Extender
The all-around best choice for sustained fire. More regeneration means more blaster shots means more damage.

:: CREW

Copilot: Skadge / Nadia Grell (Bypass)
An amazingly useful copilot ability, pair this with Heavy Laser Cannon and Thermite Torpedo shots.

Offensive: Skadge / Aric Jorgan (25% ammo, 8% secondary weapon reload)
More ammunition for your torpedo banks. Faster torpedo reload times (nearly a whole second off), which is very nice since you'll be trying to chain fire these.

Defensive: Vector / Nadia Grell (10% shield power pool, 5% evasion)
I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up.

Tactical: Mako / Lord Scourge (sensor radius & communication)
Increased sensor radius and communication range for finding enemies and getting a larger view of the battlefield.

Engineering: Blizz / C2-N2 (10% engine power pool, 13% engine efficiency)
With regeneration extender it’s unlikely you’ll be running out of power to your heavy lasers. Gunships also tend to run around a lot. I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly and evade enemies longer.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
04.16.2014 , 12:08 PM | #157
I feel there's a little contradiction in your Comet Breaker build.
You say that Frequency Capacitor has little drawback with the right crew and yet, you use only the ones who don't improve primary weapons at all (Ammo Extender/Rapid Reload and Power to engines/Engine efficiency)

And in the Reactor category you say "with the coming patch".
Maybe you wrote that a few time ago, but now the last patch we've been aware of is now part of the past.

TrinityLyre's Avatar


TrinityLyre
04.16.2014 , 12:31 PM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
I feel there's a little contradiction in your Comet Breaker build.
You say that Frequency Capacitor has little drawback with the right crew and yet, you use only the ones who don't improve primary weapons at all (Ammo Extender/Rapid Reload and Power to engines/Engine efficiency)

And in the Reactor category you say "with the coming patch".
Maybe you wrote that a few time ago, but now the last patch we've been aware of is now part of the past.
Good point, fixing these discrepancies! They must be elsewhere through the guide (as it was written pre-2.7 as you said). Thanks for pointing it out!
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Verain's Avatar


Verain
04.18.2014 , 01:10 AM | #159
I am a VERY strong believer in C2N2 / Blizz for gunship engineering guy. I feel strongly enough that I'll say that the other options are wrong.

The other option- 2VR8/Yuun- only helps your blasters, not your railguns. The "power to blasters" setting helps your railgun a very small amount.


Ultimately, your blaster power is something you can manage- it's a resource you are in control of. If you are left along long enough that you are concerned about it, you have already made such a big difference for your team that it doesn't matter. Blaster secondaries are "wins more" talents. Booster secondaries are "avoids losing" secondaries.


Even if you plan to be aggressive with heavy lasers with the double-missile / 0 railgun build above, the fact of the matter is that you are still going to be running very hard to keep people in range and to breaks LOS on your attackers. If your opponents spend so much time under your reticule that you are out of energy- hooray!

But what you can't get enough of, is purple running juice!

TrinityLyre's Avatar


TrinityLyre
04.20.2014 , 10:57 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I am a VERY strong believer in C2N2 / Blizz for gunship engineering guy. I feel strongly enough that I'll say that the other options are wrong.
If you're looking for the decided advantage in a Mangler/Quarrel (because by that logic, playing the other gunship is also wrong), I agree. If the Efficient Fire buffed your Railgun, I'd definitely test that out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Ultimately, your blaster power is something you can manage- it's a resource you are in control of. If you are left along long enough that you are concerned about it, you have already made such a big difference for your team that it doesn't matter. Blaster secondaries are "wins more" talents.
It's kind of sad that stock gunship regen is so bad that picking up the regeneration talents early is almost mandatory. Without them, you do a small fraction of what the ship is capable of (in addition to being immobile and what amounts to a free kill). Gunships definitely get the short end of the stick in their stock format.

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Even if you plan to be aggressive with heavy lasers with the double-missile / 0 railgun build above, the fact of the matter is that you are still going to be running very hard to keep people in range and to breaks LOS on your attackers. If your opponents spend so much time under your reticule that you are out of energy- hooray!
True, but the build is meant to be challenging, not something you drag in on a 12v12 aces battle (unless you're trying to feed kills or something).

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
But what you can't get enough of, is purple running juice!
This applies to all ships. Agreed.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!