Biochem and reverse engineering

zanoff

Does it matter if you reverse engineer a medpack stack of 1 or a stack of 5, 15, 20? I'm curious if a higher stack means a better chance at finding a better schematic.

Anyone tested this out?

Edited by zanoff

So is the general consensus is if you want a better chance of finding schematics, it's best to break a stack into individuals and reverse engineer each one? So you have 15 chances instead of one, which I mistakenly did when I RE'd a 15 stack of medpacs.

I have had good success REing a stack as apposed to a single one.

This is actually what I'm afraid of, if it's better to RE a stack of 10 instead of an individual.

Edited by zanoff

I have more success doing stacks too, but who knows how that works. I have had success doing individuals for some recipes and some others(specially the lv8 endurance stim) I tried over 15 times individually with no luck until I just did a stack of 10 and it worked.

I too can report better success in doing stacks. I did a stack of 5 Green medpacks (mainly to get the mats back), and discovered the Purple medpack recipe. Before that, I had done a couple individual Blue medpacks and didn't get the purple.

Of course this is a very small sampling, but if your going to RE them anyways might as well RE the stack.

The very first medpack REing it took about 5 greens to unlock blue and 5 blues to unlock purple. This was doing it right from when I learned the skill and had harvested enough to satisfy myself.

The second medpack I didn't get the mats for until I was well over the skill needed to make it (grouped a lot so my companion was off crafting all the time). Both blue and purple recipes were unlocked after just one RE each of a green and blue. I suspect skill level plays a part in recipe unlocks.

My first reverse engineering was the surgical medpack (level 16 item) and I got the blue in the first few items I did it on. Got the purple from probably 5 or so blues.

Tried doing it for a stim that I was using. Took maybe 7-10 greens to get the blue. Took probably 15 blues to get the purple. That was not worth it. I'll probably wait till I get to a couple higher tiers of crafting before bothering to get the advanced items.

My first reverse engineering was the surgical medpack (level 16 item) and I got the blue in the first few items I did it on. Got the purple from probably 5 or so blues.

Tried doing it for a stim that I was using. Took maybe 7-10 greens to get the blue. Took probably 15 blues to get the purple. That was not worth it. I'll probably wait till I get to a couple higher tiers of crafting before bothering to get the advanced items.

See, I'm still on the fence about whether it is worth it or not. On one hand it is an item only you can use, on the other it is the best stim for your level. I do not think any other craft can get such a stat boost for their level without making multiple purple items.

At level 50, all of the lower lvl purple stims will be worthless, while other crafts can sell their purple items. The blues are still quite good though, but not cheap.

Edit: Its probably just best to use the blues at lower level, instead of reverse engineering them, as they will likely last you the 8 levels before the next tier.

Edited by Ravaran

Edit: Its probably just best to use the blues at lower level, instead of reverse engineering them, as they will likely last you the 8 levels before the next tier.

As far as stims go...there is no stat difference between green, blue or purple. Blue just lasts twice as long but it requires more materials and you need items from diplomacy as well. So if you are just looking for use it is probably best just to create greens and use those.

Purples are a pretty big pain since you need the rare item from diplomacy missions and my stim needed 4 of them (compared to two for the medpack) so it ended up taking probably 20-25 diplomacy missions to get what I needed for the purple stim.

As far as stims go...there is no stat difference between green, blue or purple. Blue just lasts twice as long but it requires more materials and you need items from diplomacy as well. So if you are just looking for use it is probably best just to create greens and use those.

Purples are a pretty big pain since you need the rare item from diplomacy missions and my stim needed 4 of them (compared to two for the medpack) so it ended up taking probably 20-25 diplomacy missions to get what I needed for the purple stim.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted, I am thinking blues will be much better if you pvp, since they last through death.

so...i reverse engineered an item but i cant seem to make it? Bug or do i need to train it somewhere or what? It was a purple, and i would have much rather not destroyed it if i cant even make it now.

Reverse engineering drops and quest rewards does not appear to give schematics. Only reverse engineering crafted items seems to result in schematics, and not every time. Further, the information on reverse engineering purples is inconclusive at the time.

As for RE'ing stacks, I'm not a Biochem so I can't run tests, but my current theory is that RE'ing a stack of 5 is exactly the equivalent of RE'ing a 5 individual items. You feel like you have more success with stacks because you have as many chances as there are items in the stack to discover a schematic each time. In contrast, you would have to individually RE each item until you learned the schematic if you split the stack.

This means that RE'ing a stack is potentially quicker and easier, but also potentially wasteful. If you RE a stack of 5, and only needed to make and RE 3, you've wasted 2 items.